Trump to pardon Dinesh D'Souza

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Trump to pardon Dinesh D'Souza

Postby Stuart » Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am

this is the guy who made the film 2016-obamas America He was spot on, and this is another example of how obama and his admin targeted conservatives

President Trump announced Thursday he will pardon conservative filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza, who was convicted of making an illegal campaign contribution in 2014.

“Will be giving a Full Pardon to Dinesh D’Souza today. He was treated very unfairly by our government!” the president tweeted Thursday morning.

D’Souza pleaded guilty in 2014 over donating $20,000 to New York politician Wendy Long. He was sentenced to five years of probation and eight months in a halfway house, and paid a $30,000 fine.

The illegal campaign contribution was made in 2012 to Long’s U.S. Senate campaign. D’Souza pleaded guilty to using a “straw donor” to make the donation.

A straw donor is a person who illegally uses another person’s finances to make a political contribution in their own name. Straw donor schemes are illegal under U.S. law, which states that “no person shall make a contribution in the name of another person or knowingly permit his name to be used to effect such a contribution, and no person shall knowingly accept a contribution made by one person in the name of another person."

D’Souza allegedly coordinated donations to Long’s campaign through friends and acquaintances.

D’Souza has argued that he was unfairly treated by the Obama administration.
Stuart

Re: Trump to pardon Dinesh D'Souza

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 9:04 am

I guess "Drain the Swamp" means something different to trump than the rest of us.
deltbucs

Postby Stuart » Thu May 31, 2018 9:05 am

I just remember watching it when it came out. very well done.

like the next week they arrest the guy!
Stuart

Postby Rocker » Thu May 31, 2018 9:07 am

deltbucs wrote:I guess "Drain the Swamp" means something different to trump than the rest of us.

Ballgame
Rocker

Postby bucfanclw » Thu May 31, 2018 9:09 am

deltbucs wrote:I guess "Drain the Swamp" means something different to trump than the rest of us.

Ironically, workers just had to repair a sinkhole that opened on the White House lawn. I'm sure there's a metaphor there somewhere...
bucfanclw

Postby RedLeader » Thu May 31, 2018 10:00 am

You thought independent film makers that are neither politicians or in Washington is what Trump meant by “drain the swamp”?

Thats strange.
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 am

This is a dumb pardon.

Most of them are.
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 10:18 am

RedLeader wrote:

You thought independent film makers that are neither politicians or in Washington is what Trump meant by “drain the swamp”?

Thats strange.

Do you really not understand the connection or are you just trying to defend your team?
deltbucs

Postby Deuce » Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 am

Zarniwoop wrote:This is a dumb pardon.

Most of them are.

I get that this guy is extremely pro-Republican and that's why he was pardoned. Thus, all Democrats will hate this move.

But do you really feel like he deserved this punishment?
Deuce

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 am

Deuce wrote:

Most of them are.

I get that this guy is extremely pro-Republican and that's why he was pardoned. Thus, all Democrats will hate this move.

Yes, he broke the campaign contributions law right? While I don't necessarily agree with the law, one has to suffer the consequences of breaking the law. Just like I don't agree with 55 mph on highways and often go faster, I'm willing to accept the consequences. The only thing unreasonable about the punishment in terms of severity is the time in a halfway house...I assume he already did that?

Unless Trump pardons everyone that breaks this law (and I have no idea if he is) then I don't like him pardoning just Dinesh (and I actually quite like Dinesh in many regards -- sometimes though he, like all of us, can be an ***hole)
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Thu May 31, 2018 10:31 am

This is a petty jab at Obama.

And I really thought this kind of stuff was beneath Trump...
Ken Carson

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 10:31 am

Deuce wrote:

Most of them are.

5 years probation for corrupting our democracy? No jail time? That doesn't sound too tough for me. You don't think Republicans hate this move, too?
You can label yourself a D or an R, but there has to be a point where you realize that us citizens are all on the same team. I wish punishments for government corruption were more harsh, to be honest.
deltbucs

Postby Stuart » Thu May 31, 2018 10:32 am

it's the selective inforcement of the laws that gets under my skin....and we all know they went after this guy and got whatever they could on him. it's the targeting thats the point; not the law.
Stuart

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am

Ken Carson wrote:This is a petty jab at Obama.

I know you've been softening up on Trump, but what could possibly lead you to believe that this is beneath him? This is like his whole schtick. This is what he does. Have you read his twitter or seen one of his pep rallies?
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 10:37 am

Stuart wrote:it's the selective inforcement of the laws that gets under my skin....and we all know they went after this guy and got whatever they could on him. it's the targeting thats the point; not the law.

So the law should not have been enforced in this case?
deltbucs

Postby Ken Carson » Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 am

deltbucs wrote:

I know you've been softening up on Trump, but what could possibly lead you to believe that this is beneath him? This is like his whole schtick. This is what he does. Have you read his twitter or seen one of his pep rallies?

LOL @ softening up on Trump.

I thought that the statement was so absurd that it didn’t require blue text.
Ken Carson

Postby RedLeader » Thu May 31, 2018 10:42 am

Meh. If you got pulled over for going 65 in a 55, sure... but if you oddly had to also spend a night in jail over it, you might have more to say about it.

If a judge later pardoned your ticket over the oddity, im sure you’d see it as just. .

Just saying.
RedLeader

Postby RedLeader » Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 am

deltbucs wrote:

What's funny about this is i dont think ive ever seen much of a trump rally, and certainly dont follow him on Twitter. Lol.

Focus Delt! Get off Trumps tweet, already! Lol.

Theres a whole world of actual news out there, bud.
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 31, 2018 10:49 am

RedLeader wrote:Meh. If you got pulled over for going 65 in a 55, sure... but if you oddly had to also spend a night in jail over it, you might have more to say about it.

If a judge later pardoned your ticket over the oddity, im sure you’d see it as just. .

Just saying.

I certainly wouldn't fight the pardon, and I'd count myself lucky for getting one, but that wouldn't make it right. just me a hypocrite.

As most on here have probably gleaned, I absolutely hate laws and support far fewer of them then just about anyone else. As such, I break many of them.

However, I am a believer that if we have laws, they must be followed and enforced. Its the same way I parent. Compared to most parents I have a tiny fraction of their house rules. But the ones I do have I enforce.

This pardon seems completely political. Those kind suck. The only pardons I don't have an issue with are those where evidence seems to exonerate a person but for whatever reason they don't get to see their day in court (like the recent Jack Johnson one) or when penalties are outdated (like many of the drug war ones where people are behind bars for their lives because of drug offenses). But even the latter ones should be applied across the board, not to a select few.
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 am

deltbucs wrote:
Deuce wrote:

5 years probation for corrupting our democracy? No jail time? That doesn't sound too tough for me. You don't think Republicans hate this move, too?
You can label yourself a D or an R, but there has to be a point where you realize that us citizens are all on the same team. I wish punishments for government corruption were more harsh, to be honest.

Really? You think $20,000 to one candidate is corruption? Do you have any idea how many millions big corporations are dumping into candidates' PACs?
Deuce

Postby Stuart » Thu May 31, 2018 10:52 am

deltbucs wrote:
Stuart wrote:it's the selective inforcement of the laws that gets under my skin....and we all know they went after this guy and got whatever they could on him. it's the targeting thats the point; not the law.

So the law should not have been enforced in this case?

no, not if it is a political attack.
Stuart

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 31, 2018 10:53 am

Deuce wrote:[
Really? You think $20,000 to one candidate is corruption? Do you have any idea how many millions big corporations are dumping into candidates' PACs?

There is no doubt our campaign laws are all sorts of ****ed up
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 31, 2018 10:54 am

Stuart wrote:
deltbucs wrote:So the law should not have been enforced in this case?

OK, so upon further thinking...here is another area I would be OK with a pardon...if it is shown that most people who break this law are only given slaps on the wrist and that Dinesh's punishment was far more severe than most because it was politically motivated, I would support a pardon

--good thinking Stu
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 am

Deuce wrote:
deltbucs wrote:5 years probation for corrupting our democracy? No jail time? That doesn't sound too tough for me. You don't think Republicans hate this move, too?

I do. Corruption is legal. It's complete bullshit and it's the single biggest issue facing our democracy, IMO.
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am

Stuart wrote:
deltbucs wrote:So the law should not have been enforced in this case?

So you're mad that there is selective enforcement of laws and your answer to that is selective enforcement of laws. This is what team politics does to people.
deltbucs

Postby Deuce » Thu May 31, 2018 11:03 am

deltbucs wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I do. Corruption is legal. It's complete bullshit and it's the single biggest issue facing our democracy, IMO.

So, this guy broke the law, but did something a lot of people/corporations legally do every day, just a different way. And he was indicted shortly after making a critical movie of the current administration.

Hm...something tells me you guys aren't being non-partisan.
Deuce

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 am

RedLeader wrote:
deltbucs wrote:I know you've been softening up on Trump, but what could possibly lead you to believe that this is beneath him? This is like his whole schtick. This is what he does. Have you read his twitter or seen one of his pep rallies?

What's funny about this is i dont think ive ever seen much of a trump rally, and certainly dont follow him on Twitter. Lol.

Focus Delt! Get off Trumps tweet, already! Lol.

Theres a whole world of actual news out there, bud.

I don't even have a twitter. You can find a trump tweet or a link to one in probably half of the threads in this forum. And it's pretty tough to not come across **** trump says at his pep rallies. He's the president of the United States, you know. Why do you insist on being so willingly ignorant? Stupid post like this are the reason that other conservatives on this forum tell you to stop being an idiot.
deltbucs

Postby Stuart » Thu May 31, 2018 11:09 am

deltbucs wrote:
Stuart wrote:

So you're mad that there is selective enforcement of laws and your answer to that is selective enforcement of laws. This is what team politics does to people.

not mad, never was. glad he got a pardon though. I think the people who initiated it should ge the ones prosecuted.
Stuart

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 31, 2018 11:12 am

Stuart wrote:
deltbucs wrote:So you're mad that there is selective enforcement of laws and your answer to that is selective enforcement of laws. This is what team politics does to people.

not mad, never was. glad he got a pardon though. I think the people who initiated it should ge the ones prosecuted.

Prosecuted for enforcing the law?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby deltbucs » Thu May 31, 2018 11:17 am

Deuce wrote:
deltbucs wrote:I do. Corruption is legal. It's complete bullshit and it's the single biggest issue facing our democracy, IMO.

So, this guy broke the law, but did something a lot of people/corporations legally do every day, just a different way. And he was indicted shortly after making a critical movie of the current administration.

Hm...something tells me you guys aren't being non-partisan.

You obviously have no idea what my political beliefs are. Look at my post history if you want to see what I think of Obama. Here's a hint: **** that guy. I hope he rots in hell.
I don't even know how this guys is, honestly. I just read about him in this post. I don't know anything about his movie. He should be prosecuted. The laws should be changed so that other people/corporations can't do it through PACS. We shouldn't loosen the laws so that anyone get always get away with it. We should prosecute anyone who violates the already too loose campaign finance laws. Seems to me that you're the one with the partisan bias.
deltbucs

Next

Return to Politics and Religion