Can we agree? Episode 4

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Do you support the Bill that just passed the house?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 12

Can we agree? Episode 4

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 22, 2018 6:17 pm

Do you support this bill that just passed the House?

People with life-threatening illnesses may eventually see improved access to experimental drugs at an earlier stage of the federal approval process, thanks to a bill that passed the House today.

By a vote of 250-169, the House passed federal "Right to Try" legislation, pushed by the Arizona-based libertarian Goldwater Foundation. This bill allows patients with what the government classifies as a "life-threatening" illness or condition to get access to drugs that have completed the first stage of clinical trial but are not yet fully approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Most states have such laws on the books, but the federal government itself has lagged behind them in giving citizens permission to try experimental medication sooner if they're dying.

The law specifically requires that the drugs have made it through the first stage of clinical testing. It seems a bit absurd to suggest that the snake-oil salesmen are going to pop out of the woodwork and try to sell fake cures. It also does not mandate pharmacy companies provide them. It gives both sides of the equation options.

The bill passed the Senate by a voice vote last year. President Donald Trump declared support for the legislation in his last State of the Union address and is expected to sign the bill into law.
Zarniwoop

Re: Can we agree? Episode 4

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 pm

I see nothing wrong with it.
The Outsider

Postby Rocker » Tue May 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Benn a long time coming around, if you ask me.
Rocker

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:52 am

Now they need to pass a similar law for assisted suicide...but not just for the terminally ill. I think it should be legal for people whose quality of life has deteriorated to the point they no longer wish to life as well. The old woman that can only lie around in a nursing home bed for example. She doesn't have a terminal illness, but her health is so bad that she cannot enjoy anything life has to offer other than just being alive.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 23, 2018 8:24 am

Buc2 wrote:Now they need to pass a similar law for assisted suicide...but not just for the terminally ill. I think it should be legal for people whose quality of life has deteriorated to the point they no longer wish to life as well. The old woman that can only lie around in a nursing home bed for example. She doesn't have a terminal illness, but her health is so bad that she cannot enjoy anything life has to offer other than just being alive.

Agree wholeheartedly.

One small provision I have is that the euthinasia program give the patient the latitude to select where they pass on and that it be mandatory for anyone born between 1946-1964.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 am

I'm good with this law so long as the patient is well aware of the experimental status of the medication.

People are people, not lab rats.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm good with this law so long as the patient is well aware of the experimental status of the medication.

People are people, not lab rats.

I'd also want something in there preventing their families from going after the companies for anything that goes wrong.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 am

Two good points

In regards to MBs the drugs have to be through phase I testing which I’m sure will prevent fly by night stuff

As for NYs, while I don’t know for sure, given how beholden the Ds and Rs are the pharma I’d wager that they went out of their way to protect them from lawsuits by people / family members who regret their decision to try the new meds
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Now they need to pass a similar law for assisted suicide...but not just for the terminally ill. I think it should be legal for people whose quality of life has deteriorated to the point they no longer wish to life as well. The old woman that can only lie around in a nursing home bed for example. She doesn't have a terminal illness, but her health is so bad that she cannot enjoy anything life has to offer other than just being alive.

Agree wholeheartedly.

One small provision I have is that the euthinasia program give the patient the latitude to select where they pass on and that it be mandatory for anyone born between 1946-1964.

lol
beardmcdoug

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 am

I would guess that the medical companies themselves would very clearly explain it is still experimental and have all needed parties sign waivers. Don't think you need the government to step in for that. This seems to just remove government interference between the medical company and the potential patient/tester.
PanteraCanes

Return to Politics and Religion