Soon we get to see if there is any fiscal responsibility

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Soon we get to see if there is any fiscal responsibility

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 16, 2018 12:53 pm

The senate will soon vote on Rand Paul's plan to balance the budget (probably tomorrow).

I'm sure it won't pass but we will get to see if there are any on either side who take their fiscal responsibilities seriously.

His plan will cut $400B in the first year, then cap spending increases at 1% per year (although SS isn't included in that cap). Many states already have these caps in the their budgets (even a state as liberal as New York does it). Even with these cuts...total spending increases by nearly 15% over the next 10 years.

The budget would be balanced by 2023 and we would be able to start significantly paying down our ridiculous $21T debt around 2028.

https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/dr-ran ... t%E2%80%99
Zarniwoop

Re: Soon we get to see if there is any fiscal responsibility

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm

I give this a .1% chance of receiving the required support.

The vast majority of elected Republicans only care about fiscal responsibility when they are on the campaign trail or part of the minority party. I despise that hypocrisy and atleast respect the honestly of Democrats when it comes to fiscal spending.

I think Paul and Kasisch (the guy from Ohio) are two if the few Republicans that seem to be somewhat honest regarding fiscal responsibility.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
The vast majority of elected Republicans only care about fiscal responsibility when they are on the campaign trail or part of the minority party..

it certainly is hard to argue with that. the last serious push for fiscal responsibility was in the early 90's
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Wed May 16, 2018 1:14 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I give this a .1% chance of receiving the required support.

The vast majority of elected Republicans only care about fiscal responsibility when they are on the campaign trail or part of the minority party. I despise that hypocrisy and atleast respect the honestly of Democrats when it comes to fiscal spending.

I think Paul and Kasisch (the guy from Ohio) are two if the few Republicans that seem to be somewhat honest regarding fiscal responsibility.

And both of those guys generated very little support in the primaries demonstrating that the Republican voters didn't really care about it either. I'd like to see more support for fiscal responsibility, but when the choice is between higher taxes with higher spending (D) vs slashing taxes but still high spending (R), I slid to the Democrat side of the coin.
bucfanclw

Postby The Outsider » Wed May 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Narrator: There wasn't
The Outsider

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 16, 2018 1:23 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I give this a .1% chance of receiving the required support.

And both of those guys generated very little support in the primaries demonstrating that the Republican voters didn't really care about it either. I'd like to see more support for fiscal responsibility, but when the choice is between higher taxes with higher spending (D) vs slashing taxes but still high spending (R), I slid to the Democrat side of the coin.

My take is that fiscal responsibility is like climate change in that people (in general) say they care, but not nearly enough people ever make it a priority over other issues that play more to their emotions and/or ideology and therefore kick the can down the street for the next generation on these issues.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:And both of those guys generated very little support in the primaries demonstrating that the Republican voters didn't really care about it either. I'd like to see more support for fiscal responsibility, but when the choice is between higher taxes with higher spending (D) vs slashing taxes but still high spending (R), I slid to the Democrat side of the coin.

My take is that fiscal responsibility is like climate change in that people (in general) say they care, but not nearly enough people ever make it a priority over other issues that play more to their emotions and/or ideology and therefore kick the can down the street for the next generation on these issues.

True, but when I try to balance my personal budget, my first step is not to decrease my income. Of course I don't collect lobbyist kickbacks to do that so I guess that would be the first difference.
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 16, 2018 1:43 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

To me its the most important issue there is. Without a stable economic future and freedoms, all the others collapse.

It's #1 from a pragmatic perspective, theoretical perspective and most importantly an ethical perspective
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Wed May 16, 2018 1:51 pm

There was good news for balancing the budget in the tax bill. In 10 years individual tax rates will shoot up higher than they were before. That should help balance the budget. Of course, the corporate tax cuts in the bill are permanent.
deltbucs

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 16, 2018 2:21 pm

deltbucs wrote:There was good news for balancing the budget in the tax bill. In 10 years individual tax rates will shoot up higher than they were before. That should help balance the budget. Of course, the corporate tax cuts in the bill are permanent.

You understand why that escalator is in there and that it will likely never happen right? It's pretty standard practice when introducing tax cuts. It's an issue because people don't seem to understand it's bullshit and tax cuts should also come with government spending cuts.
uscbucsfan

Postby Caradoc » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
deltbucs wrote:There was good news for balancing the budget in the tax bill. In 10 years individual tax rates will shoot up higher than they were before. That should help balance the budget. Of course, the corporate tax cuts in the bill are permanent.

You understand why that escalator is in there and that it will likely never happen right? It's pretty standard practice when introducing tax cuts. It's an issue because people don't seem to understand it's bullshit and tax cuts should also come with government spending cuts.

He knows, he just hates Trump so he's spewing nonsense he knows is nonsense. It's not the truth, but the "TRUTH" is that Trump and those evil republicans are screwing over the taxpayers to make evil corporations rich. He's just commenting on the higher reality, not the real reality.
Caradoc

Postby deltbucs » Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

Right and the escalator is only there for individuals.
deltbucs

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm

deltbucs wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:You understand why that escalator is in there and that it will likely never happen right? It's pretty standard practice when introducing tax cuts. It's an issue because people don't seem to understand it's bullshit and tax cuts should also come with government spending cuts.

Right and the escalator is only there for individuals.

It's essentially fake, there may as well be no escalator.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Failed 76-21
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Thu May 17, 2018 10:41 pm

The Outsider wrote:Narrator: There wasn't
The Outsider

Return to Politics and Religion