Israel vs Iran

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Israel vs Iran

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 pm

I know a thread asking who fired first was started in off topic, but it should be here.

According to this WaPo article it was started by Iran when rockets were fired into Israel from Iranian positions in Syria.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... 8986e80de2

MOUNT BENTAL, Golan Heights — Israeli warplanes bombed dozens of Iran-linked military facilities in Syria, the Israeli military said Thursday, as tensions soared after Israeli positions came under fire from a barrage of rockets fired from Syrian territory

The army said in a statement that its fighter jets targeted Iranian intelligence and logistics sites around Damascus, as well as munition warehouses, observation and military posts. A top official said the strikes hit most of Iran’s facilities in Syria.

The attacks followed a wave of overnight rocket strikes directed at Israeli positions in the Golan Heights — all of them apparently intercepted — that Israel blamed on Iran.

And, of course, WaPo is never one to miss a chance to blame Trump.
Analysts say President Trump’s scrapping of a landmark nuclear deal with Iran means that Tehran has less to lose by retaliating. Trump’s move Tuesday has served to embolden hard-liners in the Islamic Republic who now want to show strength. The hard-liners also opposed the nuclear deal — but on grounds that Iran was giving away too much to the world powers on the other side of the negotiation.

Of course, like Outsider said in that other thread, who fired first will depend on which side you're on.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: Israel vs Iran

Postby Stuart » Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 pm

I read early this morning Isael launched these attacks prior to Iran firing the rockets. and it wasn't the strikes Israel did a day or so ago, they were referencing todays strike.....this was early in the morning and the news sites are now saying Iran struck 1st.

like someone said though, depends on which side your on i guess. I think Trump will just stand back and let Israel kick their a$$...........hope russia isn't so stupid to stick there nose in it or set up their high tech air defenses near Israel..
Stuart

Postby The Outsider » Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Stuart wrote:I read early this morning Isael launched these attacks prior to Iran firing the rockets. and it wasn't the strikes Israel did a day or so ago, they were referencing todays strike.....this was early in the morning and the news sites are now saying Iran struck 1st.

like someone said though, depends on which side your on i guess. I think Trump will just stand back and let Israel kick their a$$...........hope russia isn't so stupid to stick there nose in it or set up their high tech air defenses near Israel..

On your last note, Iran's military isn't a joke. They're easily the strongest military power in the Middle East if you take alliances out of the equation. The Saudis may have our equipment but the Iranians are extremely well trained and they're very much battle tested. IF (and I mean IF) Iran decides to make this in to a real war it won't be a cake walk for the Israelis.*

*This is discounting the fact that we'll level the **** out of Iran to protect one of the primary aggressors in the region because the Nazis killed a bunch of mostly non-Semitic Jews almost 80 years ago.

Edit: My last statement reads as being kind of trite, and it shows I've been drinking. To clarify, modern day Israel is so far removed from the holocaust, along with being guilty of enough human rights violations, that they should stop being given a free pass to do whatever they want. The best thing we could do for the Israeli government is to **** slap them, show them who is in charge, and let them know that while we will most definitely defend their sovereignty they at the same time need to stop being such ****ing ***holes to literally all of their neighbors.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:45 am

The Outsider wrote:
Stuart wrote:I read early this morning Isael launched these attacks prior to Iran firing the rockets. and it wasn't the strikes Israel did a day or so ago, they were referencing todays strike.....this was early in the morning and the news sites are now saying Iran struck 1st.

On your last note, Iran's military isn't a joke. They're easily the strongest military power in the Middle East if you take alliances out of the equation. The Saudis may have our equipment but the Iranians are extremely well trained and they're very much battle tested. IF (and I mean IF) Iran decides to make this in to a real war it won't be a cake walk for the Israelis.*

*This is discounting the fact that we'll level the **** out of Iran to protect one of the primary aggressors in the region because the Nazis killed a bunch of mostly non-Semitic Jews almost 80 years ago.

Edit: My last statement reads as being kind of trite, and it shows I've been drinking. To clarify, modern day Israel is so far removed from the holocaust, along with being guilty of enough human rights violations, that they should stop being given a free pass to do whatever they want. The best thing we could do for the Israeli government is to **** slap them, show them who is in charge, and let them know that while we will most definitely defend their sovereignty they at the same time need to stop being such ****ing ***holes to literally all of their neighbors.

While I agree with some of your sentiment, the bolded works both ways. Until such countries as Iran and Syria (and the various factions...Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad and Hamas for example) accept Israel's right to exist and stop pronouncing that it is their goal to annihilate Israel, there will be no stopping the insanity.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Stuart » Fri May 11, 2018 9:56 am

The Outsider wrote:

their not removed. it's engrained in them, and it's been used by them ever since....

yet you never hear of Holodomor......
Stuart

Postby The Outsider » Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 am

Buc2 wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

While I agree with some of your sentiment, the bolded works both ways. Until such countries as Iran and Syria (and the various factions...Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad and Hamas for example) accept Israel's right to exist and stop pronouncing that it is their goal to annihilate Israel, there will be no stopping the insanity.

I'm not suggesting they go make nice with everyone, but I am suggesting that they could be less antagonistic. That really goes for the whole region, but someone has to be the adult in the situation and I feel Israel, with our backing, is in the best position to do so.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Buc2 wrote:While I agree with some of your sentiment, the bolded works both ways. Until such countries as Iran and Syria (and the various factions...Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad and Hamas for example) accept Israel's right to exist and stop pronouncing that it is their goal to annihilate Israel, there will be no stopping the insanity.

I'm not suggesting they go make nice with everyone, but I am suggesting that they could be less antagonistic. That really goes for the whole region, but someone has to be the adult in the situation and I feel Israel, with our backing, is in the best position to do so.

Very true.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 pm

while I get the sentiment and certainly wish it could happen...when one side believes the other doesn't have a right to exist...I don't think acting like adults is possible
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Fri May 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:while I get the sentiment and certainly wish it could happen...when one side believes the other doesn't have a right to exist...I don't think acting like adults is possible

Sure it is. Israel doesn't have to do **** purposely to antagonize Iran, Syria, etc. That's not to say they don't secure their borders or retaliate for attempted or successful attacks on their country.

We all have to take a step back and realize that the situation over there likely can be fixed. It's just not easy and will take an ass load of time with more than likely no immediate results or profit.

That's why no one wants to do it.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:11 pm

One day, when the oil runs dry over there, no one will give 2 shits about that part of the world. Pretty much the way it was for most of the last 4-5+ centuries.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Fri May 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:One day, when the oil runs dry over there, no one will give 2 shits about that part of the world. Pretty much the way it was for most of the last 4-5+ centuries.

I understand, but if we're going to ****ing meddle all around the world and it seems we are going to no matter who is in charge we may as well try to do some good with it. It's incredibly frustrating to watch our foreign policy be the same short sighted disastrous bullshit year after year. I mean the only type of war that would work over there, that would actually solve the problem, is some good old fashioned total war. Indiscriminate fire bombings and all that comes with it. Because the only way this ends through conflict is if we **** that region up so bad that it can no longer function on a modern level.
The Outsider

Postby Alpha » Mon May 14, 2018 1:00 am

The Outsider wrote:That really goes for the whole region, but someone has to be the adult in the situation and I feel Israel, with our backing, is in the best position to do so.

One question:

Iran...with the largest population AND military in the Middle East, along with the backing of China AND Russia...

Why shouldn't THEY be "the adult in the situation"?

I "feel" like you're just off base here.

Tell me why you aren't?
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 am

The Outsider wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:while I get the sentiment and certainly wish it could happen...when one side believes the other doesn't have a right to exist...I don't think acting like adults is possible

Sure it is. Israel doesn't have to do **** purposely to antagonize Iran, Syria, etc. That's not to say they don't secure their borders or retaliate for attempted or successful attacks on their country.

But...that's exactly what they did...and yet...you ave a "problem" with that.

We all have to take a step back and realize that the situation over there likely can be fixed.

Says who? You don't think the brightest minds on the planet have been working on this?

It's just not easy and will take an ass load of time with more than likely no immediate results or profit.

That last statement is just an ignorant, over-simplification of an extremely complex, involved problem.

The "easy" solutions are the solutions you've proposed. I'm fairly certain that those have been examined. You make it sound like NOBODY has been attempting a solution. That ZERO effort has been put into this problem.

Time is relative. Ask a Hindu. Or a Muslim.

YOU want a solution. RIGHT NOW. That's great. I'd like one as well. Finding a "solution" that is acceptable to ALL sides, just isn't that simple.

Calm your tits. A resolution will happen. Just maybe not in our lifetime.
Alpha

Postby The Outsider » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 am

Alpha wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

But...that's exactly what they did...and yet...you ave a "problem" with that.

We all have to take a step back and realize that the situation over there likely can be fixed.

Says who? You don't think the brightest minds on the planet have been working on this?

It's just not easy and will take an ass load of time with more than likely no immediate results or profit.

That last statement is just an ignorant, over-simplification of an extremely complex, involved problem.

The "easy" solutions are the solutions you've proposed. I'm fairly certain that those have been examined. You make it sound like NOBODY has been attempting a solution. That ZERO effort has been put into this problem.

Time is relative. Ask a Hindu. Or a Muslim.

YOU want a solution. RIGHT NOW. That's great. I'd like one as well. Finding a "solution" that is acceptable to ALL sides, just isn't that simple.

Calm your tits. A resolution will happen. Just maybe not in our lifetime.

You do realize that while you're saying I want a solution right now you quoted a post in which I explicitly stated any sort of peace is likely to take a long time and won't yield tangible results for a long time as well, right?

But like we already discussed, no need to rehash old bullshit.
The Outsider

Return to Politics and Religion