The political version of LOW's weekly question

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 01, 2018 5:23 pm

All the cool kids do this in LOW thread, so I figured I would start a weekly(ish) game here.

This week's theme: Current Politicians

Politician whose views most closely resemble yours:
For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most:
Politician in the party you vote for most often that least resembles your views:
Politician in the party you vote for least that you respect most:
Rate your two senators (1 to 10):
Rate your governor (1 to 10):
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Politician whose views most closely resemble yours: Rand Paul
For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most: Voter ID
Politician in the party you vote for most often that least resembles your views: John McCain
Politician in the party you vote for least that you respect most: Henry Cuellar - a guy in the House from Texas
Rate your two senators (1 to 10): Ted Cruz 6; John Cornyn 5
Rate your governor (1 to 10): Greg Abbott 8
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue May 01, 2018 5:40 pm

I love these.

1. I'll assume we mean living politicians so I'll go with Bernie.

2. Disagree most with Bernie on the jobs guarantee. I think sticking with the $15 minimum wage will do most of the redistribution the economy needs to fund public works projects.

3. Joe Manchin. He's bought and paid for. But I could throw a bunch of corporate Democrats in this spot.

4. Bush 41. Honorable man.

5. Nelson is a corporate democrat, but will come around often enough on certain issues. I'll give him a 5.5

Rubio showed what kind of **** politician he could be during the campaign. I thought he was a little more enlightened, but hes basically Paul Ryan and is waiting his turn to be the nominee. He scores a 2.

6. Rick Scott can **** off and die. 0.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14741
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
1. I'll assume we mean living politicians



yes, I'll edit it...I mean current politician on all these...thanks
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 01, 2018 7:11 pm

1. I'd probably have to go with Sanders as well
2. I'd also probably disagree with him the most on job guarantees as well. I even think a $15/hr minimum wage is excessive.
3. Charlie Crist, because the man has no ideologies.
4. John Kasich. I like MB's answer but HW isn't an active politician anymore.
5. Nelson doesn't suck.(5) Rubio has the worst attendance record in the ****ing Senate.(0)
6. I hated Rick Scott before it was cool.(0)
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 01, 2018 7:46 pm

It seems that almost no one likes Scott. How did he get elected?
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:All the cool kids do this in LOW thread, so I figured I would start a weekly(ish) game here.

This week's theme: Current Politicians

Politician whose views most closely resemble yours: Rand Paul is the closest, but no one really.
For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most: There's a few, but probably term limits and how much time he's spent on it.
Politician in the party you vote for most often that least resembles your views: Lindsey Graham, John McCain.
Politician in the party you vote for least that you respect most: On a state level. James Smith is a really conservative Democrat that is running for governor. He's also my lawyer and a friend. On a national level it's Bernie Sanders. I would never ever vote for him. I hate most of his policies and what he says, but I respect him for being him. There were times he deviated to try to get votes in the election, much like Rand Paul(not to the extreme), but he does it the least.
Rate your two senators (1 to 10): Graham: 1, Tim Scott: 8
Rate your governor (1 to 10): McMasters (5) is a fill in. He was my landlord in college. He's ok. I had a love/hate relationship with Haley (6). Sometimes she was great and other times she was awful.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue May 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:It seems that almost no one likes Scott. How did he get elected?

I wasn't here yet ;)

Republicans have been in charge here since...94? I think Lawton Chiles was the last governor here with a (D)...or any balls for that matter.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14741
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:It seems that almost no one likes Scott. How did he get elected?


Old people, probably.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 01, 2018 10:31 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:It seems that almost no one likes Scott. How did he get elected?


Old people, probably.


My least favorite thing about Florida...
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby deltbucs » Tue May 01, 2018 11:01 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:It seems that almost no one likes Scott. How did he get elected?

Outsider actually answered your question.

The Outsider wrote:3. Charlie Crist, because the man has no ideologies.

That and no one shows up to vote at the primaries...
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 5400
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 310 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby deltbucs » Tue May 01, 2018 11:18 pm

To switch it up, I'm going to someone that I've really been digging for the last couple years.
Politician whose views most closely resemble yours: Tulsi Gabbard
For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most: I'm a little confused on her plans for affordable housing, but that's kind of HI specific.
Politician in the party you vote for most often that least resembles your views: Hillary, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, take your pick of 95+% of them.
Politician in the party you vote for least that you respect most: Ron Paul
Rate your two senators (1 to 10): Nelson: 1 / Rubio: 1
Rate your governor (1 to 10): Scott -99999999999999
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 5400
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 310 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:24 am

Politician whose views most closely resemble yours:
Rand Paul

For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most:
LGBT rights

Politician in the party you vote for most often that least resembles your views:
John McCain

Politician in the party you vote for least that you respect most:
Jim Webb (former) / Jared Polis (current)

Rate your two senators (1 to 10):
Mark Warner = 6 / Tim Kaine = 3

Rate your governor (1 to 10):[/quote]
Ralph Northam = 6
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 12307
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 996 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 am

Buc2 wrote:For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most:
LGBT rights



This is interesting...what do you not agree with him about?

(For the record - I actually don't agree with him either as far as I understand his view - but my understanding of his view may be off)
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most:
LGBT rights



This is interesting...what do you not agree with him about?

(For the record - I actually don't agree with him either as far as I understand his view - but my understanding of his view may be off)

He opposed The Equality Act of 2015 which, basically, would have extended protections under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include LGBTs.

He supported a fed law to prevent same sex marriage and was in favor of continuing to enforce a fed law that banned homosexuals from serving openly in the military.

Overall, he has taking many positions against protecting the rights of LGBTs at the federal level while, at the same time, supporting federal laws that restrict their rights.

While I’m a proponent for State’s Rights, I still believe the feds have a role to play in protecting the rights of American citizens under our Constitution and those rights should extend to LGBT citizens as well.

Full disclosure:
As the father of a lesbian daughter, I came to realize that she was born that way. In fact, by the time she was in the 6th grade, I suspected she may be lesbian. When I look back and remember how much she struggled to come to terms with her sexual orientation during her high school years and even some years later, it broke my heart. Not that she was a lesbian, but because of the mental anguish she suffered due to our societies treatment of LGBTs at the time.

Since a person can’t choose their sexual orientation because they were born that way, then why shouldn’t they be afforded the same rights as everyone else? Just because a man loves women or a woman loves men why should that entitle them to rights my daughter isn’t entitled to?
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 12307
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 996 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Politician whose views most closely resemble yours: Rand Paul

For the politician listed above, name the area you disagree most: Unsure

Politician in the party you vote for most often that least resembles your views: Lindsay McCain

Politician in the party you vote for least that you respect most: Joe Manchin, but only b/c I've met him a few times while he was Governor of WV. I was in the Navy onboard the USS West Virginia SSBN 736 at the time when he and his family came out for a 5 day VIP cruise and he and I had hours of conversation when he would hang out in the radio room between his calls back home. A few weeks later a few us when up to Morgantown on a namesake tour and had dinner with his family in the governors mansion and then get introduce at halftime of the WV college football game that same weekend. I also like Tulsi Gabbard

Rate your two senators (1 to 10): Bill Nelson sucks - 1, Rubio isn't much better but atleast he holds conservative positions on important issues like immigration and the 2A. But like MB stated, Rubio is just a DC swamp creature trying to become the next Paul Ryan. He gets a 4

Rate your governor (1 to 10): I like Rick Scott so 7
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13763
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby deltbucs » Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Rate your governor (1 to 10): I like Rick Scott so 7

Have you done any research into how corrupt this ***hole is? When he was the CEO of Columbia they committed the largest medicare fraud in history. He's literally destroying the state. Even all of the conservatives that I know that are into fishing hate him because of how he's lets Big Sugar destroy our coastal waterways. He supports oil drilling in the everglades. He wants to increase the amount of toxic, cancer-causing chemicals that are allowed to be dumped into our waterways. I could rant about him forever. I don't want to muck up this thread, though.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 5400
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 310 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for the response Buc2.

That is one if Paul’s views I have a hard time squaring away.

There certainly are social issues where a libertarian can make a valid argument to adopt the traditional conservative position (e.g. abortion), but Paul’s stance on marriage rights doesn’t seem one of them
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Thanks for the response Buc2.

That is one if Paul’s views I have a hard time squaring away.

There certainly are social issues where a libertarian can make a valid argument to adopt the traditional conservative position (e.g. abortion), but Paul’s stance on marriage rights doesn’t seem one of them

More recently he believes that the government shouldn't be involved in marriage and I 100% believe in that.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 3:49 pm

If he did switch positions recently all the power to him. I just hadn’t seen it.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Yeah...I hadn't seen that yet either. That one thing still doesn't absolve him of his other LGBT stances though.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 12307
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 996 times
Been thanked: 427 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Buc2 wrote:Yeah...I hadn't seen that yet either. That one thing still doesn't absolve him of his other LGBT stances though.


Like most, he's all over the place:

Q: In New Hampshire, you said, "I will fight for your right to be left alone." Why do you believe that people should be left alone, but not when it comes to their right to marry somebody they love?
PAUL: I do believe people ought to be left alone. I am a "leave me alone" kind of guy.

Q: But not when it comes to marriage?

PAUL: Well, no. States will end up making the decisions on these things. I think that there's a religious connotation to marriage that has been going on for thousands of years I still want to preserve that. But I also believe people ought to be treated fairly under the law. I see no reason why, if the marriage contract conveys certain things, that if [a woman] wants to marry another woman, they can do that and have a contract. You could have traditional marriage, and then you could also have the neutrality of the law that allows [same-sex couples] to have contracts with one another. 2015

Rand Paul said that affording the distinction to marriage to same-sex couples "offends myself and a lot of other people." In an interview with Fox News, the Kentucky Republican, who described himself as a "libertarian conservative," made the remarks when asked about his views on gay rights: "I'm for traditional marriage," Paul said. "I think marriage is between a man and a woman. Ultimately, we could have fixed this a long time ago if we just allowed contracts between adults. We didn't have to call it marriage, which offends myself and a lot of people."
Paul continued, "I think having competing contracts that would give them equivalency before the law would have solved a lot of these problems, and it may be where we're still headed."

For Paul's vision of equal rights for same-sex couples through contracts to become a reality, the first step would be have to be a ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court in June upholding state prohibitions on gay nuptials. 2015

PAUL: Look, I don't want my marriage or my guns registered in Washington. And if people have an opinion, it's a religious opinion that is heartly felt, obviously they should be allowed to practice that and no government should interfere with them. One of the things that really got to me was the thing in Houston where you had the government, the mayor actually, trying to get the sermons of ministers. When the government tries to invade the church to enforce its own opinion on marriage, that's when it's time to resist. 2015

Q: You say the federal government should stay out of same sex marriage issue and leave it, as it has been traditionally left, to the states. Should the court, therefore, strike down the Defense of Marriage Act?
PAUL: I think it's a really complicated issue. I've always said that the states have a right to decide. I do believe in traditional marriage, Kentucky has decided it, and I don't think the federal government should tell us otherwise. There are states that have decided in the opposite fashion, and I don't think the federal government should tell anybody or any state government how they should decide this. Marriage has been a state issue for hundreds of years. DOMA is complicated, though, because DOMA does provide protection for the states from the federal government. But, then part of it federalizes the issue. I think the way to fix DOMA is maybe to try to make all of our laws more neutral towards the issue, and I don't want the government promoting something I don't believe in. 2013


I heard him recently talking about how the government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all, a repeat of what he was saying in 2015. This is pretty typical from a politician. If he doesn't think the government should be involved, why even delve into contracts vs. licenses? I like the libertarian version of Rand Paul more than I like the Rand Paul that tries to win over the republican base. The libertarian Rand Paul says he doesn't care what you do (within legal reason) and you shouldn't care about what he's doing regarding rights.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby The Outsider » Wed May 02, 2018 5:51 pm

deltbucs wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Rate your governor (1 to 10): I like Rick Scott so 7

Have you done any research into how corrupt this ***hole is? When he was the CEO of Columbia they committed the largest medicare fraud in history. He's literally destroying the state. Even all of the conservatives that I know that are into fishing hate him because of how he's lets Big Sugar destroy our coastal waterways. He supports oil drilling in the everglades. He wants to increase the amount of toxic, cancer-causing chemicals that are allowed to be dumped into our waterways. I could rant about him forever. I don't want to muck up this thread, though.


He was actually the CFO, which makes it worse because the entire section of the company he oversaw was the one committing the fraud. He also wanted to drug test welfare recipients, but the kicker was that a drug testing lab partially owned by his wife was getting the contract for the bulk of the work.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 271 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 pm

The Outsider wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Have you done any research into how corrupt this ***hole is? When he was the CEO of Columbia they committed the largest medicare fraud in history. He's literally destroying the state. Even all of the conservatives that I know that are into fishing hate him because of how he's lets Big Sugar destroy our coastal waterways. He supports oil drilling in the everglades. He wants to increase the amount of toxic, cancer-causing chemicals that are allowed to be dumped into our waterways. I could rant about him forever. I don't want to muck up this thread, though.


He was actually the CFO, which makes it worse because the entire section of the company he oversaw was the one committing the fraud. He also wanted to drug test welfare recipients, but the kicker was that a drug testing lab partially owned by his wife was getting the contract for the bulk of the work.

He transferred his ownership stake in the 32 urgent care centers to his wife when he ran for governor campaigning on drug testing welfare recipients.

He's more evil than Donald Trump could ever goddamned dream of.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14741
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
He was actually the CFO, which makes it worse because the entire section of the company he oversaw was the one committing the fraud. He also wanted to drug test welfare recipients, but the kicker was that a drug testing lab partially owned by his wife was getting the contract for the bulk of the work.

He transferred his ownership stake in the 32 urgent care centers to his wife when he ran for governor campaigning on drug testing welfare recipients.

He's more evil than Donald Trump could ever goddamned dream of.


Solantic did not enter the bid for the drug testing. Most just assumed they would because they do conduct drug testing.

The big stink was over the fact Scott was going to propose switching Medicaid patients to private HMOs, which with the amount of urgent cares he owns (32) he would get a share of that business.

The drug testing is something his voters want. Many republicans are for drug testing welfare recipients. There's nothing evil about it.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 pm

I’m 100% against drug testing welfare recipients
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I’m 100% against drug testing welfare recipients

I'm against it as well, but many Republicans are for it.

It's certainly not evil. I understand why they would want it. I just don't think the percentage of drug users is high enough to warrant that sort of cost.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 pm

It’s cause they don’t think it through...it sounds good on the surface but crosses that bridge that shouldn’t be crossed.

You don’t solve government intervention (welfare) by adding more government intervention (behavioral policies).

God forbid we ever go to a single payer system ... the progressives would use that same logic to mandate our behavior and take away even more freedoms when they start saying crap like “well since I’m paying for your healthcare I get to decide what you get to eat, what activities are too dangerous for you”, etc etc.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:It’s cause they don’t think it through...it sounds good on the surface but crosses that bridge that shouldn’t be crossed.

You don’t solve government intervention (welfare) by adding more government intervention (behavioral policies).

God forbid we ever go to a single payer system ... the progressives would use that same logic to mandate our behavior and take away even more freedoms when they start saying crap like “well since I’m paying for your healthcare I get to decide what you get to eat, what activities are too dangerous for you”, etc etc.


My point is it's not evil. It's literally what his base wants. It's a huge thing here. I think it's stupid and I've told people to their face it's a waste and it's pointless and I get back "you're a filthy liberal".

In a sense if that's what people are electing him for, I think he should do whatever he can to deliver on his promise, regardless if I agree with it.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5412
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: The political version of LOW's weekly question

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 pm

I’m not a Floridian so I can’t speak to Scott or the specifics of the case.

I’m speaking to the principle

I agree that it isn’t “evil” and that it probably comes from a place of good intentions (people on welfare that use drugs are probably exponentially more likely to stay on welfare and never enter the workforce and better their lives) ... but the end result would be horrible ... just like the end result of so many good intentioned ideas
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6933
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Next

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 16 guests