US ECONOMY News and Discussion Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: US ECONOMY News and Discussion Thread

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Buc2 wrote:
RedLeader wrote:US median income rises to record!

Median household income in the U.S. rose 1.8% last year to a record $61,400, or roughly the same as what middle-class families were earning before the financial crisis struck in 2008, according to The New York Times.

The U.S. Census report also showed:

>> A decline in the poverty rate to 12.3%, or 39.7 million Americans, from 12.7% in 2016.
>> The proportion of Americans without health insurance remained at 8.8%.

That is good news. Let's hope it continues to climb from there.

Seems like a pretty great thing that's been trending great since about 2012. And, indeed, let's hope that trend continues.
mightyleemoon

Postby RedLeader » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:02 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
Buc2 wrote:That is good news. Let's hope it continues to climb from there.

Seems like a pretty great thing that's been trending great since about 2012. And, indeed, let's hope that trend continues.

Um. Oooookayy. Lol.
RedLeader

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 pm

RedLeader wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Um. Oooookayy. Lol.

Are you laughing at data, or is this just part of that whole thing where you can't go more than 3 posts without throwing an "lol" in there?
bucfanclw

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 am

bucfanclw wrote:
RedLeader wrote:
Um. Oooookayy. Lol.

Are you laughing at data, or is this just part of that whole thing where you can't go more than 3 posts without throwing an "lol" in there?

He's unable to see things without his partisan glasses on. He needs to think everything good is due to Republicans and everything bad is due to Democrats. Anything to the contrary and his world view falls apart.

In this case, that uptick had little to do with the oval office for either party. Turns out, some things happen in the world that aren't completely tied to a bureaucratic pen. If we switched to talking about minimum wage, he would suddenly agree with this idea.
mightyleemoon

Postby RedLeader » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:40 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Are you laughing at data, or is this just part of that whole thing where you can't go more than 3 posts without throwing an "lol" in there?

He's unable to see things without his partisan glasses on. He needs to think everything good is due to Republicans and everything bad is due to Democrats. Anything to the contrary and his world view falls apart.

In this case, that uptick had little to do with the oval office for either party. Turns out, some things happen in the world that aren't completely tied to a bureaucratic pen. If we switched to talking about minimum wage, he would suddenly agree with this idea.

Pffffffft. Scroll up, dummy... You two idiots are the only ones desperately trying to politicize the economic discussion here..

(To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure if that was why you posted that graph, but I suppose you just confirmed it. )

'partisan glasses', indeed. lol
RedLeader

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 am

RedLeader wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Pffffffft. Scroll up, dummy... You two idiots are the only ones desperately trying to politicize the economic discussion here..

(To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure if that was why you posted that graph, but I suppose you just confirmed it. )

I think you might go to the Playing Dumb card a little too often.

Or not. You do you, friend.
mightyleemoon

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:59 am

Are we safer from financial crises?

A decade ago, the collapse of Lehman Brothers ushered in the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. One of the key questions after the 2008 meltdown is whether or not it could happen again. Unlikely, argues Axios, given the safeguards that we have set up globally for banks, including legislation like Dodd-Frank and the Basel III global financial reform deal. Further, American households are far less leveraged and capital is flowing into equities rather than "dubiously-rated synthetic debt obligations," according to the report.

Well that's a relief...
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm

I hope that is sarcasm :)
Zarniwoop

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:36 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

I think you might go to the Playing Dumb card a little too often.

Or not. You do you, friend.

Surrender noted, amigo...

Sorry dude, but you're whole 'non-partisan' shtick is suspect at best...

I've posted the positive as well as the negative in here, as have others, and the only ones seemingly 'unable to see things without their political glasses', and make everything about Trump is you and your dummy team mates.

That said, I would really be careful following bucfan around too much in any of these threads. You'll get egg on your face more often than not...

Just saying.., friend to friend and all.
RedLeader

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I hope that is sarcasm :)

Whatever do you mean? 8-)

Here's the link to the report in case you'd like to delve deeper...

https://www.axios.com/financial-crisis- ... 972f9.html
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks...I bookmarked the page for future reading. In some places we are a bit safer -- the gov't isn't as aggressive as it once was at pushing home loans on higher risk households, some of the regulation on asset risk have been good ... and more importantly we are much better at measuring risk then we were. At the same time, in many areas we are far worse off...the big banks are getting bigger and the Fed has almost DOUBLED it's assets in the last few years. Far too much money in the hands of too few.

Thanks again for the link
Zarniwoop

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:05 am

RedLeader wrote:Sorry dude, but you're whole 'non-partisan' shtick is suspect at best...

The chart posted was to show that neither party is responsible for the good shape the economy is in. Especially not any President. Did you not get that? I thought we could all pretty much agree that Janet Yellen would generally have more of a direct impact on the economy than whoever is in the oval office.

And, besides, since you're hung up on me not liking Trump...you should realize that finding Trump to be an intolerable douchebag is pretty much a nonpartisan thing. I know plenty of Republicans that can't stand that guy. And I don't know a single Libertarian that can stomach him. The only people who can tolerate him are hard liners that let their world view be controlled by the hard right narrative. And you (and a handful of others here) rise to Trump's defense at every given opportunity. Defending Trump is about as partisan as one can be.

But, speaking of the economy and Presidents. The Feds are looking to skip another interest rate hike because the trade war is showing signs of weakening the economy. So, the President may get his wish and the Feds might stop the interest hike. Although, probably not for the reasons he'd like.
mightyleemoon

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:09 am

impervious - the state of being mightyleemoon
mdb1958

Postby Beusan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 am

The President can very much have an influence on the economy. The more hands-off he, or anybody else for that matter, is the better. That's the reason why I don't like the current trade wars.
Beusan

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 am

Beusan wrote:The President can very much have an influence on the economy. The more hands-off he, or anybody else for that matter, is the better. That's the reason why I don't like the current trade wars.

Most people see there can be potential influence. Your trade wars example is a good one. Taxes are another one. So is regulation. We can argue all day long the extent of that influence as well as how long it takes for that influence to occur but most understand this.

That isn’t to discount the role normal business cycles play.... they clearly influence the economy too ... indeed moreso then any presidential policy.
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:39 am

My math tells me that accepting billions of dollars in losses is bad and changing that from happening is better. I'd call it ummmmmmmmmmmm balance.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:51 am

Beusan wrote:The President can very much have an influence on the economy. The more hands-off he, or anybody else for that matter, is the better. That's the reason why I don't like the current trade wars.

Hands off and a partaking approach is how individuals made lots of money and our country went broke.
mdb1958

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 am

mdb1958 wrote:

Hands off and a partaking approach is how individuals made lots of money and our country went broke.

So are you suggesting you want more regulation of business?
bucfanclw

Postby RedLeader » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Sorry dude, but you're whole 'non-partisan' shtick is suspect at best...

The chart posted was to show that neither party...

STOP!

Hammer time...

RedLeader wrote: Scroll up, dummy... You two idiots are the only ones desperately trying to politicize the economic discussion here..

RedLeader wrote:I've posted the positive as well as the negative in here, as have others, and the only ones seemingly 'unable to see things without their political glasses', and make everything about Trump is you and your dummy team mates.

RedLeader

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:58 am

RedLeader wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:
The chart posted was to show that neither party...

STOP!

Hammer time...

I'll take all your noise to simply mean "I agree with you."
mightyleemoon

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:50 pm

For the first time in 13 years the US Army has failed to meet its recruiting goal citing the strong economy for the shortfall.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 am

Reading a work-relevant news clip this morning. Stumbled upon this quote:

Customers like Vickie Haynes would not be ecstatic if their electric bill went up.

“I wouldn’t feel very good about it. Right now the economy is not good, some people are struggling to pay their electric bill, I’m struggling to pay mine,” Haynes said.

Is this something people will just continue saying because they're used to it? Are is it an excuse for their own shortcomings?
Deuce

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:04 am

Deuce wrote:Reading a work-relevant news clip this morning. Stumbled upon this quote:

Customers like Vickie Haynes would not be ecstatic if their electric bill went up.

“I wouldn’t feel very good about it. Right now the economy is not good, some people are struggling to pay their electric bill, I’m struggling to pay mine,” Haynes said.

Is this something people will just continue saying because they're used to it? Are is it an excuse for their own shortcomings?

I think most people's outlook on the economy is simply a reflection of how they are doing personally. I think that is a reasonable thing to do...though it isn't the "right" way to look at an economy. So they are thinking about THEIR economy not THE economy.

Some people will do better than others. That has always been and will always be the case (thankfully).
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:06 am

Deuce wrote:Reading a work-relevant news clip this morning. Stumbled upon this quote:

Deleted.
Last edited by Buc2 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

I think most people's outlook on the economy is simply a reflection of how they are doing personally. I think that is a reasonable thing to do...though it isn't the "right" way to look at an economy. So they are thinking about THEIR economy not THE economy.

Some people will do better than others. That has always been and will always be the case (thankfully).

Which is why a guy can get elected POTUS by claiming how terrible the economy is, and then how great it's doing now, when the growth and unemployment trends have been straight lines right through.
bucfanclw

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 am

Buc2 wrote:

Without knowing Vickie Haynes exact circumstances it is impossible for me to answer this question. Right now the economy is good. For everybody? Of course not. So I'd need to know a lot more about Ms. Haynes before I could say much about this.

I feel like that's somewhat of a cop out. So "my economy" is good today, but if I got fired (or a stock I owned crashed), tomorrow I could do an interview and say "yeah, it's rough out here, the economy is bad, you know."

I think it's more likely that she has no idea what's going on and regurgitated something she's heard before. Not that it means anything. You'll often get these "people on the street" type interviews with weird stuff.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:26 am

Deuce wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Without knowing Vickie Haynes exact circumstances it is impossible for me to answer this question. Right now the economy is good. For everybody? Of course not. So I'd need to know a lot more about Ms. Haynes before I could say much about this.

I feel like that's somewhat of a cop out. So "my economy" is good today, but if I got fired (or a stock I owned crashed), tomorrow I could do an interview and say "yeah, it's rough out here, the economy is bad, you know."

I think it's more likely that she has no idea what's going on and regurgitated something she's heard before. Not that it means anything. You'll often get these "people on the street" type interviews with weird stuff.

That could certainly be the case, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd need more information about her to form an educated opinion.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:28 am

Buc2 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

That could certainly be the case, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd need more information about her to form an educated opinion.

Then why reply to my comment?
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 am

Deuce wrote:
Buc2 wrote:That could certainly be the case, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd need more information about her to form an educated opinion.

Sorry. Fixed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 am

Buc2 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Sorry. Fixed.

Thanks, bud. lol
Deuce