US ECONOMY News and Discussion Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: US ECONOMY News and Discussion Thread

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 pm

RedLeader wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:And there's RedFollower riding my coat tails as usual. Got any insight into this outside of "Dayum"?

Coming from a guy who’s only insight so far is a Hannity quip... lol.

Move it along, dork.

So I take it you couldn't understand the second sentence? Cool.
bucfanclw

Postby RedLeader » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 pm

Mark Zuckerberg lost $3.6 billion yesterday.

Jeff Bezos lost $3.2 billion.

Google's founders lost $2.3 billion... each.

Bill Gates lost $2.2 billion.

(Source: Bloomberg)

And you thought YOU had a bad day... :banghead:
RedLeader

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:09 pm

RedLeader wrote:Mark Zuckerberg lost $3.6 billion yesterday.

That's very little in comparison. The dow and their net worths were riding all time highs. Again, it's really not that big of a deal.
uscbucsfan

Postby RedLeader » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:13 pm

RedLeader

Postby RedLeader » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:14 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

That's very little in comparison. The dow and their net worths were riding all time highs. Again, it's really not that big of a deal.

Oh, I agree.. That was my attempt at sarcasm...
RedLeader

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:15 pm

RedLeader wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:That's very little in comparison. The dow and their net worths were riding all time highs. Again, it's really not that big of a deal.

Oh, I agree.. That was my attempt at sarcasm...

Well, carry on.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:32 am

Since they didnt make any changes, I imagine they just sat there and smiled.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:40 am

Since they were the ones that sold their shares and then caused thousands of shares to be dumped, only to dip right back in and acquire thousands of more shares, while waiting for it to settle out again so they can count their money...
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 am

We will call this move "how to make 6 hundred million in twenty days"...
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 am

Dump some more

Dump some more

Dump some more

Dump some more

Dump some more

Dump some more

Dump some more

Dump some more

Good!

OK, buy all you can back!
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 am

Red, please let me know if I'm wrong in twenty days...
mdb1958

Postby RedLeader » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:34 am

mdb1958 wrote:Red, please let me know if I'm wrong in twenty days...

Yep. I’m sure they were all singing,

“Last night I took an L, but tonight I bounce back!”

...all the way to the bank.

Lol.
RedLeader

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:08 am

How can the progressives love all these guys, Oprah too! And, still want to redistribute the wealth.

Maybe they get to pick and choose who gets all their money took from them.
mdb1958

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 am

mdb1958 wrote:We will call this move "how to make 6 hundred million in twenty days"...

brought to you by the same folks that brought you "Have a Billion Dollar Asbestos Abatement Reno Project!? Screw that! Skip work, Have a Private Contractor Doze it for Free, and Get a 4.5 Billion Dollar Insurance Payout!"
beardmcdoug

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm

I did have a bad day thank you very much. I got a new stove recently that runs hotter than my old stove and I constantly forget that it does. I put some eggs on and then went to the bathroom and when I came back my eggs were burning. I had to start all over. With eggs around 99 cents per dozen I lost roughly 33 cents.

The egg people and the stove people are in cahoots I tell you. CAHOOTS!
Sammich

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm

99c/doz eggs? 4 egg breakfasts? Putting something that only takes a couple minutes on the stovetop to cook and walking away?
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40 pm

99 cents is low but not out of the realm of possibility ... they store brand ones by me are generally 1.50ish

Provided they aren’t free range or organic. I generally buy the brown free range ones for about 2.20
Zarniwoop

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm

NYBF wrote:99c/doz eggs? 4 egg breakfasts? Putting something that only takes a couple minutes on the stovetop to cook and walking away?

They were on sale.
4 eggs plus sausage. I wake up hungry.
There's a reason I replaced the old stove :D
Last edited by Sammich on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammich

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:99 cents is low but not out of the realm of possibility ... they store brand ones by me are generally 1.50ish

Provided they aren’t free range or organic. I generally buy the brown free range ones for about 2.20

Look at mr. moneybags over here with his eggs!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Sammich wrote:4 eggs plus sausage. I wake up hungry.

username checks out
NYBF

Postby RedLeader » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 pm

That’s why I only buy eggs laid by immigrant chickens...

Way cheaper, and they lay the eggs American chickens won’t.

Of course, if you let them hatch, you have to buy the entire coup. But hey........ cheap eggs.

;)
RedLeader

Postby Sammich » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 pm

RedLeader wrote:That’s why I only buy eggs laid by immigrant chickens...

Way cheaper, and they lay the eggs American chickens won’t.

Of course, if you let them hatch, you have to buy the entire coup. But hey........ cheap eggs.

;)

I laughed
Sammich

Postby RedLeader » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:50 pm

"Wall Street finished its best week in years as stocks staged a recovery from a tumultuous period that pushed major indexes into correction territory, a sign that bullish sentiment remained intact."

In other words...

"we back, bitches!"

RedLeader

Postby RedLeader » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm

RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Thats a very interesting graph, Red...I mean that. No BS.

I'd like to see it over the last 40 years though to crush my critisizm of reaganomics once and for all.

If wages outpaced inflation over that time, Id be forced to reconsider a lot of things...but I doubt they would.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 am

Ok I’m not trying to be a **** here but I’m sure people will take it that way

So we heard about the heckler of Pelosi.

And it got me thinking, many folks who want much higher tax rates on the wealthy use an ethical or moral framework right? I don’t think anyone can argue with that. I’d be happy to link both from this board and external sites countless examples of this argument.

Well when folks like Pelosi who are super wealthy and who use the ethical argument for higher taxes to government.....why don’t they simply send checks to the government for extra money? (The difference between what the current tax rate is and what their moral compass tells them it should be). If it’s the moral thing for the rich to do, why do those folks need laws passed to do it? If it’s the moral thing for Pelosi to do ... why is it only moral if all her rich friends do it with her.

When it comes to my application of morality...I don’t base my actions on what my family and friends are doing. If something is “right”, it’s right whether there are laws and customs

(That’s not to say I don’t falter in my striving for living a moral life just like everyone else)

It’s very similar to the argument from the Bible thumpers who talk about the sanctity of marriage then cheat on their spouses and get divorced.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Ok I’m not trying to be a **** here but I’m sure people will take it that way

And it got me thinking, many folks who want much higher tax rates on the wealthy use an ethical or moral framework right? I don’t think anyone can argue with that. I’d be happy to link both from this board and external sites countless examples of this argument.

Well when folks like Pelosi who are super wealthy and who use the ethical argument for higher taxes to government.....why don’t they simply send checks to the government for extra money? (The difference between what the current tax rate is and what their moral compass tells them it should be). If it’s the moral thing for the rich to do, why do those folks need laws passed to do it? If it’s the moral thing for Pelosi to do ... why is it only moral if all her rich friends do it with her.

When it comes to my application of morality...I don’t base my actions on what my family and friends are doing. If something is “right”, it’s right whether there are laws and customs

(That’s not to say I don’t falter in my striving for living a moral life just like everyone else)

It’s very similar to the argument from the Bible thumpers who talk about the sanctity of marriage then cheat on their spouses and get divorced.

I don't think it's a moral argument. I think it's a matter of consistency.

you and I have our individual tax rate that we pay based on our taxable income. Business owners pay (based on how they are incorporated) based on their businesses net income. You and I get standard deductions and if deductions exceed the standard, we get to itemize. But we do not have the luxury of expensing our day to day activities. Businesses do.

Utilities, lease payments, payments on debt, depreciation of assets are things every business gets to take advantage of that you and I cannot. It's as if the government does not recognize that families have expenses too. And don't get me started on Corporate taxes which are now lower than what the middle class pays.

Granted, the business sector pays a lot more types of taxes as a normal course of doing business, but if taxes were consistently applied there's an argument to be made for lower rates across the board. Particularly when wages are higher. In the mean time, Amazon and GE will pay no taxes on Net Income and you and I will possibly owe at the end of the year. It ain't right.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Ok I’m not trying to be a **** here but I’m sure people will take it that way

you and I have our individual tax rate that we pay based on our taxable income. Business owners pay (based on how they are incorporated) based on their businesses net income. You and I get standard deductions and if deductions exceed the standard, we get to itemize. But we do not have the luxury of expensing our day to day activities. Businesses do.

Utilities, lease payments, payments on debt, depreciation of assets are things every business gets to take advantage of that you and I cannot. It's as if the government does not recognize that families have expenses too. And don't get me started on Corporate taxes which are now lower than what the middle class pays.

Granted, the business sector pays a lot more types of taxes as a normal course of doing business, but if taxes were consistently applied there's an argument to be made for lower rates across the board. Particularly when wages are higher. In the mean time, Amazon and GE will pay no taxes on Net Income and you and I will possibly owe at the end of the year. It ain't right.

So, everyone and all business' get taxed at 10%...that's pretty consistent.
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:42 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

So, everyone and all business' get taxed at 10%...that's pretty consistent.

Sure. So long as it's on gross income or give families the same types of deductions companies get.

When the business sector has a lower effective tax rate than the public, it becomes regressive taxation (Dare I say upwards income redistribution) since the middle class has to take up the slack. So if you go the flat tax route, it would have to be on Gross income to be consistent.

Not that the business sector will ever allow that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Amazon and GE didn't pay any income tax? Says who? Bernie Sanders? Elizabeth Warren? Trump?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christophe ... 94d29d2f51

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 90d2ba37f5

https://www.factcheck.org/2012/04/warre ... -no-taxes/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/p ... taxes.html
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion