US ECONOMY News and Discussion Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: US ECONOMY News and Discussion Thread

Postby The Outsider » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:13 pm

deltbucs wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Thx China ------------------- and keep favoring buying everything from them.

When was the last time you bought something local? I bet just about everything in your trailer in made in Jyna.

Anyone here who shops at Walmart, any big box clothing store, or electronics stores is buying goods from China, or Laos, or Malaysia, etc. This whole idea that everything we buy should be made here is ****ing stupid. First off, nobody wants those manufacturing jobs and even if they were all brought over here, good luck affording a t-shirt that costs 50 bucks. Or a 40" tv that'll run you almost a grand.

The people who make this **** are paid literally a couple bucks a day, less than that in some cases. If those jobs came back here the wages for the workers alone would be quadrupled at the least in most cases.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 am

The Outsider wrote:
deltbucs wrote:When was the last time you bought something local? I bet just about everything in your trailer in made in Jyna.

Anyone here who shops at Walmart, any big box clothing store, or electronics stores is buying goods from China, or Laos, or Malaysia, etc. This whole idea that everything we buy should be made here is ****ing stupid. First off, nobody wants those manufacturing jobs and even if they were all brought over here, good luck affording a t-shirt that costs 50 bucks. Or a 40" tv that'll run you almost a grand.

The people who make this **** are paid literally a couple bucks a day, less than that in some cases. If those jobs came back here the wages for the workers alone would be quadrupled at the least in most cases.

Yep. And that nice 4K TV with the 65" screen you can buy for $499 suddenly costs $1499. It's nearly impossible to find electronics (at least affordable electronics) that were not made in Asia by Asian slave labor.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby RedLeader » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:23 am

China offers to purchase nearly $70 billion of U.S. farm, manufacturing and energy products if the Trump administration abandons threatened tariffs, according to people briefed on the latest negotiations with American trade officials.

Beijing says purchase hinges on whether Trump imposes threatened tariffs

By Lingling Wei in Beijing and Bob Davis in Washington
Updated June 5, 2018 2:37 p.m. ET

Wsj
RedLeader

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:05 am

I tell them to quit favoring China! You know what, the lightbulb still wont click on.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:27 am

Now, if that lightbulb wont click on for the majority of American kids going to college and putting 20 or 30 years of debt on em.

I ask you what road do you think we are on?
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:50 am

Buc2 wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Yep. And that nice 4K TV with the 65" screen you can buy for $499 suddenly costs $1499. It's nearly impossible to find electronics (at least affordable electronics) that were not made in Asia by Asian slave labor.

Why is it you never hear Hollywood or the news or even black people show concern about Asian slave labor, or anywhere else it is being exploited for that matter.

Are you in favor of more millionaires in our country or would you rather it just stays a limited amount of billionaires.

These elitists are all about return of investments and power & control is what keeps it humming along for them.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:13 am

RedLeader wrote:Sears is closing more stores as sales shrink for the 26th quarter in a row. The latest round affects more than 60 locations...

Ending of an era.

They could open 300 new ones as easily as they could close 60!
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 am

RedLeader wrote:Image

How many man made island military bases could they make in return?
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 am

There are now more job vacancies than unemployed workers to fill them in the U.S. for the first time since 2000.

Data released on Tuesday by the Labor Department showed a record 6.7 million job openings in the U.S. in April, a slight increase from 6.63 million in March.

The data also showed just 6.35 million workers categorized as unemployed, down from 6.59 million in March.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/39086 ... -in-the-us
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 am

Buc2 wrote:There are now more job vacancies than unemployed workers to fill them in the U.S. for the first time since 2000.

Data released on Tuesday by the Labor Department showed a record 6.7 million job openings in the U.S. in April, a slight increase from 6.63 million in March.

The data also showed just 6.35 million workers categorized as unemployed, down from 6.59 million in March.

That's awesome news. Puts even more upward pressure on wages. In addition maybe we can get some of those who left the workforce to come back.

Job news should continue to be good. We are reaching the end of the big surge in Millenial population...so the # of people entering the workforce in the next 5 years or so is going to decline. Couple that with large amounts of boomers retiring and it is looking positive.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:There are now more job vacancies than unemployed workers to fill them in the U.S. for the first time since 2000.

That's awesome news. Puts even more upward pressure on wages. In addition maybe we can get some of those who left the workforce to come back.

Job news should continue to be good. We are reaching the end of the big surge in Millenial population...so the # of people entering the workforce in the next 5 years or so is going to decline. Couple that with large amounts of boomers retiring and it is looking positive.

This next decade should be positive on the unemployment front if for no other reason than your last sentence.

If someone offered me all my wages that I'd make in the next 10 years right now if I'd retire so someone younger could take my job, I'd be willing to retire tomorrow.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Buc2 wrote:
If someone offered me all my wages that I'd make in the next 10 years right now if I'd retire so someone younger could take my job, I'd be willing to retire tomorrow.

I remember we had this discussion before and I was stunned at some of the answers -- I remember people saying they would need $5M to quit today (Maybe someone can find the thread???).

If I could collect today all my future earnings and benefits and retire today it is an ABSOLUTE no brainer (obviously it would be adjusted for time value of money). I'd even significantly discount that value for the opportunity not to work.

--------------------

I know lots of companies have been offering early retirement packages to the older parts of their workforce over the last decade or so. I expect those programs to soon cease...as it will be very hard to find workers.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 pm

But what would feed your never ending lust for competition?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:13 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:But what would feed your never ending lust for competition?

I can find that in a million other places....just about any hobby could allow for it
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:But what would feed your never ending lust for competition?

I can find that in a million other places....just about any hobby could allow for it

My one time payout to retire now?

Let's see....265..38....24...carry the one.....

Call it $300,000, but that's with doing fun little part time jobs for beer money. I don't look at retirement as the end of working, just the end of working hard.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

I remember we had this discussion before and I was stunned at some of the answers -- I remember people saying they would need $5M to quit today (Maybe someone can find the thread???).

If I could collect today all my future earnings and benefits and retire today it is an ABSOLUTE no brainer (obviously it would be adjusted for time value of money). I'd even significantly discount that value for the opportunity not to work.

--------------------

I know lots of companies have been offering early retirement packages to the older parts of their workforce over the last decade or so. I expect those programs to soon cease...as it will be very hard to find workers.

All my future earnings based on a minimum 3% annual increase, that would come close to but still less than a million. Yep. I'd walk away tomorrow and never look back.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:40 pm

my primary teaching job is basically one where for the next 20+ years, i can't really expect any growth in my real wage. the annual raise i do get is generally about equal to inflation. the only way I get "more" money is by taking extra responsibilities or moving to administration. I can win the best teacher award for the next 20 years in a row and I would barely have an appreciable difference in wage rises than the average faculty member does. Or I suppose I could move to a state school and get a pay raise...but i have no intention of doing that.

for my consulting work -- it's 100% based on my effort. the more i want to work and can find projects the more i make. though to be honest, if i was "bought" out of my university job, i don't think i would drastically change the amount of time I spend consulting. Maybe it would bump up a bit but certainly not more than 20%.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I don't look at retirement as the end of working, just the end of working hard.

I think that probably describes most Gen X'ers

I would hope to teach a class or two whenever I feel the desire as an adjunct...likewise, take a consulting project here or there.

i also always wanted to own a motocycle repair shop. if that is something i could do part time and basically break even while paying myself a little wage i would look into that.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I don't look at retirement as the end of working, just the end of working hard.

I would hope to teach a class or two whenever I feel the desire as an adjunct...likewise, take a consulting project here or there.

i also always wanted to own a motocycle repair shop. if that is something i could do part time and basically break even while paying myself a little wage i would look into that.

I wouldn't mind adjunct. I wouldn't mind being a day shift bartender at the 19th hole of a golf course either.

Slow burn, keep you moving job to keep me busy. I fantasize about the good ild days when I was 22 with not much to worry about.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:05 pm

that would be a cool gig too as part time
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:08 pm

As long as I'm able, I want to work doing something. I won't have the money to travel and I don't really have any hobbies to speak of. So I'd want to do something to fill my days and a part time job would fit the bill.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Buc2 wrote:As long as I'm able, I want to work doing something. I won't have the money to travel and I don't really have any hobbies to speak of. So I'd want to do something to fill my days and a part time job would fit the bill.

There are some websites that help find extremely cheap flights (like Madrid for $298 round trip) and use Airbnb for accommodations. Travel isn’t as expensive as it used to be.
PrimeMinister

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Yep. And that nice 4K TV with the 65" screen you can buy for $499 suddenly costs $1499. It's nearly impossible to find electronics (at least affordable electronics) that were not made in Asia by Asian slave labor.

Why is it you never hear Hollywood or the news or even black people show concern about Asian slave labor, or anywhere else it is being exploited for that matter.

Are you in favor of more millionaires in our country or would you rather it just stays a limited amount of billionaires.

These elitists are all about return of investments and power & control is what keeps it humming along for them.

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but Asian slave labor is something that has been in the news for decades at this point. They just stopped playing it up because clearly Americans care about Nikes more than they care about Asian kids.

Also, our country still has 13 million more millionaires than the closes country, the UK. We have 15.7 million millionaires per capita, they have 2.4 million.
The Outsider

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Buc2 wrote:As long as I'm able, I want to work doing something. I won't have the money to travel and I don't really have any hobbies to speak of. So I'd want to do something to fill my days and a part time job would fit the bill.

There are some websites that help find extremely cheap flights (like Madrid for $298 round trip) and use Airbnb for accommodations. Travel isn’t as expensive as it used to be.

Emriates is doing a $300 round trip to Milan, you have to fly out of JFK for the deal so unless you're close to NYC you need to buy a flight to get you there but you're still looking at ~500 bucks for a round trip flight to Italy which is dirt cheap, really.
The Outsider

Postby deltbucs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 pm

deltbucs wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Thx China ------------------- and keep favoring buying everything from them.

When was the last time you bought something local? I bet just about everything in your trailer in made in Jyna.

mdb----------<<<<<<<<<Jyna////////////Trailer?
deltbucs

Postby Deuce » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

I wouldn't mind adjunct. I wouldn't mind being a day shift bartender at the 19th hole of a golf course either.

Slow burn, keep you moving job to keep me busy. I fantasize about the good ild days when I was 22 with not much to worry about.

MB, you've probably heard of this place, Turkey Creek (in Niceville). There are a few older guys that work there and all they do is drive golf carts around, pick up trash, and make sure nothing sketchy is going on. For those that don't know, it's a little nature walk/swimming hole.

Anyway, that would be a sweet retirement gig, imo.
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I wouldn't mind adjunct. I wouldn't mind being a day shift bartender at the 19th hole of a golf course either.

MB, you've probably heard of this place, Turkey Creek (in Niceville). There are a few older guys that work there and all they do is drive golf carts around, pick up trash, and make sure nothing sketchy is going on. For those that don't know, it's a little nature walk/swimming hole.

Anyway, that would be a sweet retirement gig, imo.

I know it. Turkey creek runs from Crestview to Niceville.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 pm

The Outsider wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Emriates is doing a $300 round trip to Milan, you have to fly out of JFK for the deal so unless you're close to NYC you need to buy a flight to get you there but you're still looking at ~500 bucks for a round trip flight to Italy which is dirt cheap, really.

Great deal if you’re close to JFK. Theses types of deals are available regularly now.
PrimeMinister

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:00 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Great deal if you’re close to JFK. Theses types of deals are available regularly now.

Good enough deal that my mom has gone twice since March.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:10 pm

It's fuel efficiency.

Over the last 20-30 years, these jets improved fuel efficiency by orders of magnitude.

I saw something recently that said a 777 was more fuel efficient per hour than an F-15 cruising at the same speed and altitude.

What makes that impressive is its two engines propelling 5 times the mass and using less fuel.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion