SCOTUS thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Would you confirm Kavanaugh?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 28

Re: SCOTUS thread

Postby HamBone » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm

“Let me assure you: this Pandora’s Box, once opened, will be utilized again and again by future majorities – and it will make the meaningful consensus-building that has served our nation so well a relic of the past.”
HamBone

Postby deltbucs » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Maybe she's blackout drunk?

HA!!
deltbucs

Postby Caradoc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 pm

deltbucs wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Trump isn't a Republican (we all know that). He's not a Democrat either. Trump is Trump. So I have no preconceived notions as to whom he will select to replace Justice Kennedy. But, if I were to guess based on his last appointment, I'd have to say he will select someone similar to his last selection. He will select a fair man/woman that has the best interest of the country at heart just as Gorsuch seems to. If he does this, liberals should consider themselves fortunate. Very fortunate. Just think of the trepidation they'd be feeling if it were Cruz making this selection instead.

He'll select whoever he's told to select.

Told by Putin, of course
Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 pm

SDBucs wrote:There will be some sort of media hit on whoever is selected, that much is certain.

Of course. ABC is already attacking Willet. And he's just one of many candidates.
Caradoc

Postby deltbucs » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:40 pm

Caradoc wrote:
SDBucs wrote:There will be some sort of media hit on whoever is selected, that much is certain.

Of course. ABC is already attacking Willet. And he's just one of many candidates.

What are they attacking him about?
deltbucs

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:18 pm

deltbucs wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

What are they attacking him about?

Tweeting.
Caradoc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Thursday she hoped the traditional “bipartisan spirit” of congressional hearings for judges will once again prevail in Washington, rather than the votes of recent years that have mostly divided along party lines.

Speaking at a Jerusalem cinema after the screening of “RBG,” the breakout hit documentary about her life and career, Ginsburg said she would not address past or present personnel changes on the court, in apparent reference to Justice Anthony Kennedy’s upcoming retirement. But the liberal icon did bemoan how partisan the process of picking a justice has become.

“I was considered by some a controversial person because of my affiliation with the American Civil Liberties Union,” she said about her 1993 confirmation hearings. “There wasn’t a single question asked of me during the hearings about my ACLU connections. The vote was 96-3.

“When Justice Breyer was nominated the next year the vote for him was also in the 90s. Since then the Senate has tended to divide along party lines and I think that’s unfortunate,” she continued. “During my confirmation hearings, perhaps my biggest supporter was Orrin Hatch, the Republican senator from Utah. I hope someday we will get back to the bipartisan spirit prevailing with respect to the confirmation of judges.”

Anyone agree with the Notorious RBG?

Here is the list of nominees and their votes since her (96-3) and Breyer (87-9)

John Roberts (R) 78 - 22
Sam Alito (R) 58-42
Sotomayor (D) 68-31
Kagan (D) 63-37
Gorsuch (R) 55-45

I'll be honest, I don't think it matters who is nominated...maybe it impacts 2 or 3 votes, but it won't matter at all to the other 95+ members of the Senate.
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 am

It won't matter who is nominated. The GOP doesn't need a single vote from a Democratic senator to confirm a SCOTUS nominee providing everyone votes along party lines during confirmation hearings. That said, their are a few Democratic senators that are in 'red' states who will be in tough predicament with the mid-terms coming up and I expect a few Dems to support the SCOTUS nominee in order to mitigate damage to themselves in local races.

I don't like the idea of not requiring 60%, but here we are and you can't close pandora's box.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:22 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
I don't like the idea of not requiring 60%, but here we are and you can't close pandora's box.

Me too...i hate it. Our gov't is supposed to be incredibly slow. When the politicians do crap like this it fosters extremism, tribalism and mob rule
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Me too...i hate it. Our gov't is supposed to be incredibly slow. When the politicians do crap like this it fosters extremism, tribalism and mob rule

Is there any way to go back to the 60% requirement?
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Is there any way to go back to the 60% requirement?

Yes, any majority party can do it at any time. The R's can simply take the high road and not take the "nuclear" option and require 60%...but they won't. And neither will the D's when they are back in power.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:35 pm

And i Just don't get it. I think even progressives would say that RBG is probably the most extreme judge on the panel..and she got 90 votes. Then you have a moderate like Gorsuch and he gets 55 votes. The guy is the most principled and least party stricken judge we have.

All four people that Trump is considering are fairly moderate as well...particularly Kavanaugh...but he would be lucky to get 55 votes.

LOL -- I'll bet Trump could nominate Garland and he wouldn't get more than half the D's vote. The party politics is insane. The questions that were asked of Gorsuch were sickening. The ones asked of the next judge will be worse.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Moderate. LOL
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Moderate. LOL

he voted more with liberals than any of the other R's (including Kennedy and Roberts)....indeed he voted more with D's than any D voted with R's.

Indeed several times he not only disagreed with the R's, he wrote scathing dissents about their reasoning

if the most center judge isn't moderate i don't know who is
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Moderate. LOL

he voted more with liberals than any of the other R's (including Kennedy and Roberts)....indeed he voted more with D's than any D voted with R's.

Indeed several times he not only disagreed with the R's, he wrote scathing dissents about their reasoning

if the most center judge isn't moderate i don't know who is

You're either in lock step w/ leftist dogma or your'e a right winger these days it seems.

Moderate is just a code word for an enabler of the alt-right.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 pm

if someone wants to say we have no moderate SC judges that is fine....I laid out the reasons I think Gorsuch is moderate....because he isn't swayed by party dogma

but if someone wants to say Gorsuch isn't moderate but someone else is, I certainly couldn't agree with that. (particularly after Kennedy retired)....by far the most "radical" judges on the court are: Sotomayor, Ginsburg, Kagan and Thomas...on average they all voted with the other people in "their" party over 90% of the time.

Every meta-analysis I have seen of the judges voting records always shows the same thing

For example, here is one (I can't find a newer one that is as easy to follow)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... rates.html
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:if someone wants to say we have no moderate SC judges that is fine.

but if someone wants to say Gorsuch isn't moderate but someone else is, I certainly couldn't agree with that. (particularly after Kennedy retired)....by far the most "radical" judges on the court are: Sotomayor, Ginsburg and Thomas

Every meta-analysis I have seen of the judges voting records always shows the same thing

For example, here is one (I can't find a newer one that is as easy to follow)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... rates.html

Being to the left of Thomas does not make Gorsuch a centrist. The man is a conservative justice. period.

Even in your link you just provided it shows that Thomas still votes with Ginsburg 66% of the time. We gonna call Thomas a moderate now?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Being to the left of Thomas does not make Gorsuch a centrist. The man is a conservative justice. period.

I didn't say Gorusch was a centrist...I said he was moderate. Of course he is going to vote to the right more than the left as he doesn't support an activist judiciary like some of the others do. He just votes along party lines less often.

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Even in your link you just provided it shows that Thomas still votes with Ginsburg 66% of the time. We gonna call Thomas a moderate now?

Nope. You can if you want.

A huge portion of cases go 8 - 1 or 9 - 0 so they are all going to agree with each other more often then not.

again, if you want to say no one on the court is a moderate all the power to you....I won't argue.

if however, you wan to propose one of the eight current members is more moderate than Gorsuch the only judge I'd even consider listening to an argument about is John Roberts.
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Being to the left of Thomas does not make Gorsuch a centrist. The man is a conservative justice. period.

I didn't say Gorusch was a centrist...I said he was moderate. Of course he is going to vote to the right more than the left as he doesn't support an activist judiciary like some of the oters do. He just votes along party lines less often.

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Even in your link you just provided it shows that Thomas still votes with Ginsburg 66% of the time. We gonna call Thomas a moderate now?

A huge portion of cases go 8 - 1 or 9 - 0 so they are all going to agree with each other more often then not.

I submit to you that when we put Gorsuch in that little diagram he's going to have numbers similar to Thomas and Alito. That's not moderate in my book.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

I didn't say Gorusch was a centrist...I said he was moderate. Of course he is going to vote to the right more than the left as he doesn't support an activist judiciary like some of the oters do. He just votes along party lines less often.

I submit to you that when we put Gorsuch in that little diagram he's going to have numbers similar to Thomas and Alito. That's not moderate in my book.

He will be farther away from Thomas than any other R and closer to Thomas than any other D.

I'm cool if you don't think anyone is moderate. I think the adjective is useful in drawing distinctions among the current 8.
Zarniwoop

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:34 pm

You guys are arguing over opinions. MB probably thinks RBG is the Centrist.
Brazen331

Postby deltbucs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Brazen331 wrote:You guys are arguing over opinions. MB probably thinks RBG is the Centrist.

So this is like your whole schtick now, I guess. Telling everyone else what their opinions are....
deltbucs

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Well it’s Brett Kavanaugh

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Well it’s Brett Kavanaugh

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do I get to freak out yet?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Knock yourself out either way my man
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Knock yourself out either way my man

I think it was Durbin who described Kavanaugh as rhe "Forrest Gump" of conservative politics in the judiciary.

Anyway, you might be right, Zarni. Gorsuch could end up one of the moderates on the court.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Knock yourself out either way my man

I think it was Durbin who described Kavanaugh as rhe "Forrest Gump" of conservative politics in the judiciary.

Anyway, you might be right, Zarni. Gorsuch could end up one of the moderates on the court.

That’s not the correct talking point, MB. I’ve already surveyed the Liberal media for you. The case against this guy is that he wrote that a President cannot be criminally charged while in office. It is insulation against Mueller. That’s the angle.

And nobody cares what Durbin says. He is whiny, lying *****. That comparison of the Thai cave boys to border enforcement was political whoresmanship at its worst. The guy has no sense of shame.
Brazen331

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Kavanaugh will basically be John Roberts 2.0. While he won’t be too activist oriented he will suck on the 4th amendment, use of interstate commerce and executive power in general.

He will be strong on 1A and 2A IMO
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think it was Durbin who described Kavanaugh as rhe "Forrest Gump" of conservative politics in the judiciary.

That’s not the correct talking point, MB. I’ve already surveyed the Liberal media for you. The case against this guy is that he wrote that a President cannot be criminally charged while in office. It is insulation against Mueller. That’s the angle.

And nobody cares what Durbin says. He is whiny, lying *****. That comparison of the Thai cave boys to border enforcement was political whoresmanship at its worst. The guy has no sense of shame.

Shhh!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 pm

I’m not sure how McCain will vote but I think Murkowski and Collins will vote to approve

Edit - maybe we should consider how Paul will vote too. He has always hated the erosion of 4th amendment rights. But I’m not sure he will hold it up if it means going past November
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion