Florida Politics.

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Florida Politics.

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Swashy wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Did this guy seriously just say liberal elites pressure our youth into degrees they can't use, bills and debt they can't pay in a state that hasn't elected a Democratic governor since Lawton Chiles 24 years ago?

Buddy McCay

Don't call Charlie Christ a Rebublican. That is almost as egregious as calling yourself conservative. :birdiedoublered:
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:37 pm

The Outsider wrote:Love the part where he's a farmer......but he's been in government for almost 2 decades and he isn't 50 yet.

What, you didn't see him try to tear both shoulders (and throw out his back) picking up that bale of hay?
Last edited by Mountaineer Buc on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Swashy wrote:
Did this guy seriously just say liberal elites pressure our youth into degrees they can't use, bills and debt they can't pay in a state that hasn't elected a Democratic governor since Lawton Chiles 24 years ago?

Buddy McCay

Don't call Charlie Christ a Rebublican. That is almost as egregious as calling yourself conservative. :birdiedoublered:

Buddy MacKay wasn't ever elected as Governor though. He lost the general election but served briefly as Governor after Lawton Chiles unexpectedly died at the very end of his term. So Swashy is still right.
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Swashy wrote:

From a guy who went from rich kid to UF to the State Legislature all by age 22.

He knows **** about ****.

I'm not gonna fault a man who was blessed in his position to use it productively. I have nothing against him for that. Good for him that he got that much done. By 22 I had was lugging my way to my nursing career and I was born to white, middle class, college educated parents from Michigan and North Dakota/raised in Minnesota respectively. He ain't gonna hear it from me. But to literally launch a "blame the liberals" ad when Florida has been in the pocket of Republican government for over 2 decades is knowingly and willingly stupid. It makes as much sense to blame my neighbor that it rains every day and my grass is getting tall. It's so lazy and uninspired.
Swashy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:45 pm

Swashy wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:From a guy who went from rich kid to UF to the State Legislature all by age 22.

I'm not gonna fault a man who was blessed in his position to use it productively. I have nothing against him for that. Good for him that he got that much done. By 22 I had was lugging my way to my nursing career and I was born to white, middle class, college educated parents from Michigan and North Dakota/raised in Minnesota respectively. He ain't gonna hear it from me. But to literally launch a "blame the liberals" ad when Florida has been in the pocket of Republican government for over 2 decades is knowingly and willingly stupid. It makes as much sense to blame my neighbor that it rains every day and my grass is getting tall. It's so lazy and uninspired.

The part of that ad that pisses me off the most is the old politician trope of "I'm just like you folks, I know what hard work is". It's as empty a gesture as Hillary drinking a beer or Donald Trump wearing a hard hat.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:52 pm

Swashy wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:From a guy who went from rich kid to UF to the State Legislature all by age 22.

You do realize that the reason this all works is because enough of Floridians are either too stupid or too brainwashed to make that distinction. Either that or they just don't care, which is worse.
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:58 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Swashy wrote:

Buddy McCay

Well of course. That's because one somehow magically stops being a conservative when they vouch for people having more personal liberties than just muh bible and muh guns. I somehow can't be a God fearing man who prays for the troops with his daughter every night, gives to charity, pays taxes and votes and yet somehow be happy at the idea of churches having both the right to refuse and to wed my friend who is a lesbian. It's ****ing crazy bro!
Last edited by Swashy on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Swashy wrote:

You do realize that the reason this all works is because enough of Floridians are either too stupid or too brainwashed to make that distinction. Either that or they just don't care, which is worse.

It's the definitely the latter I promise you. Them yelluh dogs comes in red now.
Swashy

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:03 pm

Swashy wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

It's the definitely the latter I promise you. Them yelluh dogs comes in red now.

You may promise it, but I'm not convinced. I've spoken to, or at in some cases, too many people who are just horribly misinformed and also lack the ability to inform themselves. There's a reason they've phased critical thinking courses out of school down here. They're creating a large population of people who simply do not know how to disseminate information.
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:04 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Swashy wrote:

The part of that ad that pisses me off the most is the old politician trope of "I'm just like you folks, I know what hard work is". It's as empty a gesture as Hillary drinking a beer or Donald Trump wearing a hard hat.

That's pretty much why I refused to vote for her. I was on board with Anti-Trump but not at the expense of voting for her but these guys. Holy ****. They might just convince me to vote for Graham or Levine in spite of them.
Swashy

Postby NYBF » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:15 pm

NavyBuc wrote:Actually know Ron (DeSantis) personally. Served with him when he was in the Navy. We shared a few drinks and stories. He's a really good guy.

Yeah,you can tell by the video
NYBF

Postby NavyBuc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 pm

NYBF wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:Actually know Ron (DeSantis) personally. Served with him when he was in the Navy. We shared a few drinks and stories. He's a really good guy.

I don’t care what the video shows or doesn’t show. I’m just telling you from personal experience and working with the guy. Maybe he’s changed since I worked with him a while back. I don’t know. Politics does that to people.
NavyBuc

Postby NYBF » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:45 pm

NavyBuc wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I don’t care what the video shows or doesn’t show. I’m just telling you from personal experience and working with the guy. Maybe he’s changed since I worked with him a while back. I don’t know. Politics does that to people.

Oh. So when you said "He's a really good guy," you meant he *was*, not he is.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:36 pm

NavyBuc wrote:
NYBF wrote:

You shared a few drinks and you know the guy's soul? I wonder if that's how Joe Pa felt about Sandusky?
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:05 am

Gonna bump for Jeb! one more time. We have the trust fund kid, someone who thinks Trump ads are funny and people have no sense of humor, a man running an anti-gun plank and the token uninspiring candidates as our final 5.
Swashy

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:21 am

The Outsider wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

You shared a few drinks and you know the guy's soul? I wonder if that's how Joe Pa felt about Sandusky?

Who said he knows the guys soul? He offered his opinion based on personal experience. It's not difficult to understand.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 am

DreadNaught wrote:
The Outsider wrote:You shared a few drinks and you know the guy's soul? I wonder if that's how Joe Pa felt about Sandusky?

Who said he knows the guys soul? He offered his opinion based on personal experience. It's not difficult to understand.

NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 am

NYBF wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Who said he knows the guys soul? He offered his opinion based on personal experience. It's not difficult to understand.

???

So NavyBuc has an opinion that 'politician X' is a "really good guy" based on personal interaction (which nobody else here has with politician X).

Are we conflating "knowing a person's soul" with "I met that person and based on my experience he's a really good guy"? If so, carry on.

I spent a few days with Senator Joe Manchin (former Governor of WV) when his family and staff rode our submarine back when I was on the USS West Virginia, then again a few months later when a group of us went up to WV on a namesake tour. I spent more time interacting with him since he chilled in the radio room and listened to the radio alot. We talked family, sports, politics,etc and he struck me as a (gasp) really good guy. I'm certainly not aligned with him politically, but if I was a WV voter I'd listen to what he was pitching.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:16 am

DreadNaught wrote:
The Outsider wrote:You shared a few drinks and you know the guy's soul? I wonder if that's how Joe Pa felt about Sandusky?

Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 am

I didn’t think saying I served with the guy and that I got along with him and he was a good guy would start such a damn stir. Jesus. Life isn’t all about politics, you know?
NavyBuc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:23 am

NavyBuc wrote:I didn’t think saying I served with the guy and that I got along with him and he was a good guy would start such a damn stir. Jesus. Life isn’t all about politics, you know?

It’s NYBF...he’s the Bootz of semantics in the Politics forum.

Everyone knew what you meant ... it’s an incredibly common phrase
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:44 am

NavyBuc wrote:I didn’t think saying I served with the guy and that I got along with him and he was a good guy would start such a damn stir. Jesus. Life isn’t all about politics, you know?

Lol...you got trolled.
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am

I think you should die.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:55 am

Buc2 wrote:

I think you should die.

But does he have a good soul?
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:57 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I think you should die.

That's for Grim to work out.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:58 am

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

That's for Grim to work out.

I thought Grim takes 'em and God sorts it all out?
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:That's for Grim to work out.

Oh, so now you know the exact date, time and circumstances of anyone’s death?
HamBone

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 pm

HamBone wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Oh, so now you know the exact date, time and circumstances of anyone’s death?

yes

yes i do
Zarniwoop

Postby Swashy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:19 am

I've reluctantly decided to cast my vote for Graham in the primary. She doesn't fire me up but I can stomach voting for her over DeSantis and Putnam. Gillum ain't finding a way to come back from the dead. Levine makes you want to vote for him but you can't run a campaign pledging a ban on assault rifles. I want to get over it and vote for him but I can't. That is just a huge no no. Almost as big as "Build that wall!" The rifles aren't the problem, it's the people who wield them. The argument against his platform is as simple. The fact I am comfortable with saying that any person here on this forum could carry an AK-47 on their person and not a single soul would ever be harmed by it unless it was in self defense or in defense of a family member is a demonstration of this. For all I know half of the UUTBBBB has assault rifles and none of us are out killing people. It's a weak argument because it speaks to a small amount of people but let's stop for a second and go simpler. As an American who the hell am I to tell people what they can and cannot have? You can't legislate personal freedom. You don't need to know any law whatsoever to understand that the responsibility to not sell firearms to suspect individuals lies upon the shoulders of the merchant just as it always has. If you need to make amendments so be it. But seldom is more laws and legislation ever the answer to our problems. We're trying to figure out how to stop violent people from killing innocents, not ending segregation.

Defending innocent children and law enforcement is a very sexy position to take but those who wish to cause harm will continue to find ways to do so. Ban assault rifles and the next school shooter will just lock the doors and torch the place or construct a homemade bomb. Then what? We ban matches, gasoline and every day items because they can be used to cause harm? This isn't "**** happens" either. Until we find a way to get people to stop wanting to hurt others this is going to be THE problem. So meanwhile let's develop procedures that will save human lives and minimize causalities. So often we've seen that the "school shooter" gave warning signs. STOP them by helping them and reaching out. Be proactive and look for those warning signs. If you wanna stop violence go to the source of the individual and not his weapon of choice. Not at the expense of nearly 21 million Floridians being told they can't have whatever gun they want because we're too lazy to reach out and help that disillusioned teenager with whatever reason he has to want to hurt people. Wanna save lives? That's how you do it. You can't reason with Hurricane Irma because "**** happens" but you can possibly reason with that teenager and "stop **** from happening"
Swashy

Postby Rocker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:37 am

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/40 ... oma-report

School officials said a Republican candidate running for the GOP nomination in a Florida legislative seat lied about graduating from Miami University in Ohio and faked her diploma, according to a new report.

Melissa Howard, who wants a Sarasota-area state House seat, claimed that she earned a Bachelor of Science in Marketing from the Ohio school.

Florida political news website FLA News Online originally reported that Howard did not earn the degree, but briefly retracted their story after Howard provided a photo posing with a copy of her diploma.
But after further investigation and confirmation with the university, FLA News reported Saturday that the diploma was fake.

Sarasota's Herald-Tribune confirmed with the university that Howard did not graduate.

Miami University general counsel Robin Parker told the outlets that while Howard attended the university, there is no record of her earning a degree in 1994 or 1996, as she previously claimed.

The school also reportedly said that they do not offer a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, and that Howard would have earned a Bachelor of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences if she had graduated with her Retailing major.

The diploma in the photo also reportedly displays signatures of university officials who would not have signed a diploma for a student graduating with a bachelor’s degree in that year.

National Student Clearinghouse, the nonprofit group that works with Miami University and originally stated Howard did not earn her degree, sent FLA News a certificate from the university stating that Howard did not earn a degree.

Howard has not commented on the new report to FLA News. She called the original allegations “lies” pushed by her Republican primary opponent, Tommy Gregory, in the race for a seat long held by the GOP.

“Instead of providing evidence refuting the direct questions raised in the story, Ms. Howard chose to pivot and attack the Gregory campaign for lying about her record,” Gregory said in a response, according to FloridaPolitics.com. “On the contrary, however, the Tommy Gregory campaign has made no statement of any kind related to the article, and while Ms. Howard may have some explaining to do, we will leave that to her, the media, and the voters of District 73.”

Oof.
Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion