Florida Politics.

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Florida Politics.

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:10 pm

There's a bill circulating in Tallahassee to get rid of daylight savings in Florida (I'm fine with that) BUT There's also a pending amendment to that bill that would add the panhandle to the Eastern Time Zone.

This is absolutely nuts. Pensacola is approximately 690 miles west of New York City and almost precisely due south of Chicago. There's no logical justification to placing Pensacola in the same time zone as Miami which is over 345 miles east.

That is some rough math going on 1 degree longitude equaling 69 miles, but I think it holds up.

Bonus: No thoughts on statewide elections this fall?
Mountaineer Buc

Re: Florida Politics.

Postby Swashy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm gonna cast my vote for Senator Nelson. I can't say I love the guy but he's good enough to where he has my vote. He's thinks marriage is between a man and a woman but has no quarrels about same sex couples having civil unions, opposes oil drilling the gulf, was fine with military intervention in Syria, voted in favor of the 2017 disaster relief bill, and no on TCJA. As it comes to the latter, things just needed to be left the **** alone as they were. The only people it REALLY helps are those who make $250,000 year with their bracket going from 33% to 24% as well as managing to lower taxes for everyone else on top of the bracket. Bravo Trump.

As for Governor Republicans have left a very sour taste in my mouth. We've seen the FCAT debacle, Scott flip flop on oil drilling and shooting down a high speed rail project that would've created 60,000 jobs but was deemed not efficient enough to go though with despite that 1 hour 4 minute transit via high speed rail would be a godsend versus I4 on a legendarily bad day. Dumbass.... no one is arguing it's a better alternative on a good day. It's better on BAD days! And minimum wage? lol.... yeah that 5 cents we got from 2015 to 2017 really helped.
Swashy

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Swashy wrote:I'm gonna cast my vote for Senator Nelson. I can't say I love the guy but he's good enough to where he has my vote. He's thinks marriage is between a man and a woman but has no quarrels about same sex couples having civil unions, opposes oil drilling the gulf, was fine with military intervention in Syria, voted in favor of the 2017 disaster relief bill, and no on TCJA. As it comes to the latter, things just needed to be left the **** alone as they were. The only people it REALLY helps are those who make $250,000 year with their bracket going from 33% to 24% as well as managing to lower taxes for everyone else on top of the bracket. Bravo Trump.

As for Governor Republicans have left a very sour taste in my mouth. We've seen the FCAT debacle, Scott flip flop on oil drilling and shooting down a high speed rail project that would've created 60,000 jobs but was deemed not efficient enough to go though with despite that 1 hour 4 minute transit via high speed rail would be a godsend versus I4 on a legendarily bad day. Dumbass.... no one is arguing it's a better alternative on a good day. It's better on BAD days! And minimum wage? lol.... yeah that 5 cents we got from 2015 to 2017 really helped.

You forgot the part where he tried to mandate drug tests for all welfare recipients when the contract holder for said drug testing would be a company his wife owned.

Oh, and when he was the CFO of HCA during that huge Medicare fraud scandal. Because of course a CFO would know nothing about financial fraud being perpetrated by a department directly under his control.

Anyway, the guy is a crook. At least Crist is just a flip flopping closet *** and Jeb is just Jeb. Rick Scott looks like god damn Skeletor.
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Swashy wrote:I'm gonna cast my vote for Senator Nelson. I can't say I love the guy but he's good enough to where he has my vote. He's thinks marriage is between a man and a woman but has no quarrels about same sex couples having civil unions, opposes oil drilling the gulf, was fine with military intervention in Syria, voted in favor of the 2017 disaster relief bill, and no on TCJA. As it comes to the latter, things just needed to be left the **** alone as they were. The only people it REALLY helps are those who make $250,000 year with their bracket going from 33% to 24% as well as managing to lower taxes for everyone else on top of the bracket. Bravo Trump.

You forgot the part where he tried to mandate drug tests for all welfare recipients when the contract holder for said drug testing would be a company his wife owned.

Oh, and when he was the CFO of HCA during that huge Medicare fraud scandal. Because of course a CFO would know nothing about financial fraud being perpetrated by a department directly under his control.

Anyway, the guy is a crook. At least Crist is just a flip flopping closet *** and Jeb is just Jeb. Rick Scott looks like god damn Skeletor.

I actually rage quit the keyboard before I could get to the mandated drug trusts and I forgot to mention Scott is going to try to run for Senator now. That makes my decision a whole lot easier should he secure the nomination. As for governor it would be my preference to vote for Tampa/St. Pete lawyer John Morgan. I don't care what party he runs in. Everyone I know who has met him says he's an ***hole but at least he's a noble one.

https://www.wuft.org/news/2017/11/08/jo ... ng-rights/

Getting the miracle plant legalized, higher wages? ****ing sign me up man.

I'm a little wary about his remarks on restoring rights to felons because of a potential slippery slope but there's truth in that not all felonies are created equal. If someone so much as laid a hand on my daughter there's no way it ends without me getting multiple felonies and a passion crime. Like pretty much everyone else I'm a law abiding citizen until a crisis pushes me. But given the fact Morgan's such a prominent lawyer who has practiced as long as he has, I have to say he's at least as qualified to speak on the matter as any politician and even more so depending on how you want to look at it due to the role of lawyers.

It's nice to hear someone who actually lives in the 21st century.

I just hope if he does run as an Independent he doesn't create a large enough 3rd party voter split that he just winds up losing like how Charlie Crist did in his 2010 senate campaign. I can only hope Democrats and Republicans would vote for him equally.
Swashy

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:01 pm

I think you can prevent the slippery slope by keeping the current laws in place for specific offense like murder, rape, etc.

And yeah Morgan seems like a decent choice. He's definitely a limousine liberal, but a real liberal wouldn't have a chance in hell in this state. I like his pot stance obviously. The higher wages thing is meh to me. I think the proper way to address the disconnect between wages and cost of living is to correct the problem of many essential services costing far more than they reasonably should.

Things like health insurance premiums, health care in general, secondary education, and utilities like internet.

I won't go in to health insurance because it's been beaten to death and most of us, despite our differences, agree that the current system is broken.

Health care in general is an interesting one as there are many different, independent factors that contribute to it's asininely inflated cost. Not least among these are the medical device manufacturers and refurbishers. Things like fake knees are insanely expensive for what is ultimately a milled and machined lump of titanium. Device refurbishers buy things like used scalpels from hospitals, sanitize and sharpen them, then resell them to those same hospitals for almost the cost of a brand new one.

Then there are drug companies, and well no one likes the drug companies. Another major factor that doesn't get brought up often is how much money hospital administrators make. My folks owned and operated a company that contracted Surgical Assistants to hospitals and I worked with my dad in the sales department (even though he was CEO he was still out selling because he was the best at it) and as a result met many local hospital admins. I can confidently say that their jobs don't warrant salaries upwards of a million dollars a year.

Secondary education, even public, has skyrocketed in cost. Far outpacing inflation. Once again, a large part of the problem lies with the University administrators making way too much money. The internet ties in to this a bit so I'll do that in this paragraph. I've seen a lot of folks say here that the internet is not an essential service. Technically, that is true. You won't die without internet. You also won't die without running water or electricity unless you're a paragon of ineptitude. What you do need internet for these days, and it's only becoming more important, is school and work. While most people have access via a cellphone, this only allows you a fraction of the functionality you might need. One day we're going to have to come to grips that as an increasingly interconnected society the ability to connect is going to be absolutely critical at one point or another.

And that's my disjointed rant for the day.
The Outsider

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:08 pm

I also like Morgan, but i'm expecting the pill factories to run a full court press against him. They have BILLIONS on the line that they won't let go of without a fight. Frankly, I'm not sure Florida voters are smart enough to see through that.

EDIT: That said, I was impressed that enough voters understood the solar vote not to fall for the FPL ad blitz.
bucfanclw

Postby Swashy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm

bucfanclw wrote:I also like Morgan, but i'm expecting the pill factories to run a full court press against him. They have BILLIONS on the line that they won't let go of without a fight. Frankly, I'm not sure Florida voters are smart enough to see through that.

EDIT: That said, I was impressed that enough voters understood the solar vote not to fall for the FPL ad blitz.

He's gotta deal with people like that all day. He'll probably laugh at them and counter the haters with massive court cases his firm has won. I'm not any smarter than the average Joe so it gives me hope for other people.
Swashy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:25 am

Federal judge lifts Florida's ban on felon voting rights.

On my phone so cant link reuters article that says the process felons had to go through to get voting rights restored was "constitutionally unnecessary" and required felons to "beg for their voting rights".

I guess there's a referendum this fall that would automatically restore voting rights after a felon has completed their incarceration unless the conviction was for a violent crime.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:48 am

Sounds reasonable. Felons are citizens and if they paid their debt to society coupled with their crime being non-violent I don't see why they shouldn't be able to vote.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:25 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Sounds reasonable. Felons are citizens and if they paid their debt to society coupled with their crime being non-violent I don't see why they shouldn't be able to vote.

Absolutely. And current Florida law DOES allow for that. It was the process to restore those rights that the judge threw out. I should have been more specific about that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm happy to hear that some progress is being made on the situation. If you repay your debt to society based upon the nature of your crime I've got no problem. There's a major difference between the stupid 19 year old who got someone killed because they were driving and the person who tried to arrange a murder so they could cash in a life insurance policy.
Swashy

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:There's a bill circulating in Tallahassee to get rid of daylight savings in Florida (I'm fine with that) BUT There's also a pending amendment to that bill that would add the panhandle to the Eastern Time Zone.

This is absolutely nuts. Pensacola is approximately 690 miles west of New York City and almost precisely due south of Chicago. There's no logical justification to placing Pensacola in the same time zone as Miami which is over 345 miles east.

That is some rough math going on 1 degree longitude equaling 69 miles, but I think it holds up. ?

Not saying it's a huge deal but there are two justifications for moving the Panhandle to EST. One is state business. If the Panhandle is included, nothing can start until 9 AM at earliest. Also, when I worked for a tax collector, we had to finish state business by 5:00 PM because that's when the DMV state offices close. I'm guessing in the Panhandle, they have to finish by 4:00 PM for the same reason? Another is that it would be light out later, which in theory gives tourists more time to be out and about and spend money. Again, both are pretty small reasons but I don't think you can say there's "no justification".

Also, I've seen comments where people in the Panhandle are livid about this idea. It just seems like an odd thing to cling to, imo. My parents live in the Panhandle and when I mentioned it to them, they said "huh, that would be cool." I live in Tallahassee so we do a lot of travel back and forth and always account for the time change. What is the justification against it?
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:There's a bill circulating in Tallahassee to get rid of daylight savings in Florida (I'm fine with that) BUT There's also a pending amendment to that bill that would add the panhandle to the Eastern Time Zone.

That is some rough math going on 1 degree longitude equaling 69 miles, but I think it holds up. ?

Not saying it's a huge deal but there are two justifications for moving the Panhandle to EST. One is state business. If the Panhandle is included, nothing can start until 9 AM at earliest. Also, when I worked for a tax collector, we had to finish state business by 5:00 PM because that's when the DMV state offices close. I'm guessing in the Panhandle, they have to finish by 4:00 PM for the same reason? Another is that it would be light out later, which in theory gives tourists more time to be out and about and spend money. Again, both are pretty small reasons but I don't think you can say there's "no justification".

Also, I've seen comments where people in the Panhandle are livid about this idea. It just seems like an odd thing to cling to, imo. My parents live in the Panhandle and when I mentioned it to them, they said "huh, that would be cool." I live in Tallahassee so we do a lot of travel back and forth and always account for the time change. What is the justification against it?

Pensacola is approximately 690 miles west of New York City and almost precisely due south of Chicago.

That's why.

Tomorrow morning. The sun will rise at 7:14 am Eastern in Jacksonville. It will rise at 6:36 am Central in Pensacola.

If the panhandle moves to eastern time, the sunrise will not happen until 7:36 am. Sure, it only makes a 22 minute difference to Jacksonville, but it makes an hour difference to us.

Keep your 22 minutes. We want our hour.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Pensacola is approximately 690 miles west of New York City and almost precisely due south of Chicago.

That's why.

Tomorrow morning. The sun will rise at 7:14 am Eastern in Jacksonville. It will rise at 6:36 am Central in Pensacola.

If the panhandle moves to eastern time, the sunrise will not happen until 7:36 am. Sure, it only makes a 22 minute difference to Jacksonville, but it makes an hour difference to us.

Hm, weird. I wish the sun rose as close to 8 AM as possible so I'd have more time with it when I got off from work. I hate the days when the sun is already setting when I get home. Of course, I'm an outdoorsy person.

Also, I get the Chicago thing but I don't really see how it affects your day-to-day life. The only really weird difference I see is that crossing from Alabama to Florida would be a 2 hour jump (at certain times, if DST became permanent).
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

That's why.

Hm, weird. I wish the sun rose as close to 8 AM as possible so I'd have more time with it when I got off from work. I hate the days when the sun is already setting when I get home. Of course, I'm an outdoorsy person.

Also, I get the Chicago thing but I don't really see how it affects your day-to-day life. The only really weird difference I see is that crossing from Alabama to Florida would be a 2 hour jump (at certain times, if DST became permanent).

Very true. You could have a 2 hour gap right down the middle of the Pensacola-Mobile Metro.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Sounds reasonable. Felons are citizens and if they paid their debt to society coupled with their crime being non-violent I don't see why they shouldn't be able to vote.

Absolutely. And current Florida law DOES allow for that. It was the process to restore those rights that the judge threw out. I should have been more specific about that.

Why shouldn’t a violent crime felon who did his/her time not be fully reinstated as a citizen?

Once their time is served, including parole, shouldn’t they be given all the opportunities and rights of any American citizen? I don’t see why we continue to punish people after they’ve served their time. Also what purpose does it serve to deny felons the right to vote? Who is benefiting or what are we being protected from?
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Absolutely. And current Florida law DOES allow for that. It was the process to restore those rights that the judge threw out. I should have been more specific about that.

Why shouldn’t a violent crime felon who did his/her time not be fully reinstated as a citizen?

Once their time is served, including parole, shouldn’t they be given all the opportunities and rights of any American citizen? I don’t see why we continue to punish people after they’ve served their time. Also what purpose does it serve to deny felons the right to vote? Who is benefiting or what are we being protected from?

That's a fair question, but you're going to have a hard time getting Florida voters to sign off on a guy who did 10 years for Statutory rape getting his voting rights back.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote:

That's why.

Read a story yesterday. After backlash from the Panhandle, the bill has been changed to exclude the move to Eastern Time. It is moving forward just as a proposal to make DST permanent when we move to it in March.
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 am

Deuce wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

That's why.

Read a story yesterday. After backlash from the Panhandle, the bill has been changed to exclude the move to Eastern Time. It is moving forward just as a proposal to make DST permanent when we move to it in March.

Yep. Very happy with that.

Did you know that Florida would still need approval from congress? I can't imagine why.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:06 pm

The FL Legislature has decreed that porn is a health risk. Assault weapons, not so much.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The FL Legislature has decreed that porn is a health risk. Assault weapons, not so much.

They must be watching me at night
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The FL Legislature has decreed that porn is a health risk. Assault weapons, not so much.

They must be watching me at night

You masturbate with assault weapons?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm

You don't?
Nano

Postby HamBone » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Yep. Very happy with that.

Did you know that Florida would still need approval from congress? I can't imagine why.

Cause the Feds are involved in waaaaaaaaaaay too much...
HamBone

Postby HamBone » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Nano wrote:You don't?

:lol:
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:52 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Yep. Very happy with that.

Cause the Feds are involved in waaaaaaaaaaay too much...

On this particular point, I agree.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Nothing about Rubio getting his teeth kicked in tonight?
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am

NYBF wrote:Nothing about Rubio getting his teeth kicked in tonight?

I missed it. What happened?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:47 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
NYBF wrote:Nothing about Rubio getting his teeth kicked in tonight?

I missed it. What happened?

He was on a CNN townhall with a bunch of the Parkland kids and they had him on the ropes most of the night.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:18 pm

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I missed it. What happened?

He was on a CNN townhall with a bunch of the Parkland kids and they had him on the ropes most of the night.

Rubio has always been an empty suit.
The Outsider

Next

Return to Politics and Religion