so....social security

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

Deuce wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
What they give you wont even pay the bills if you factor in property tax and insurance. Well maybe you can make a salami sandwich and watch NCIS reruns.

If you want to do more than look at the walls, you better plan for it.

You would think inflation and all that other stuff would give you more money but I doubt I get as much as my Dad did and I prolly paid in a little more. So what he got helped him much more than the lesser amount will help me.


Apparently mdb is no financial expert.


I know two things, my chunk is tax free and I could of made it much larger. Plus you never asked so you musta just assumed.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Deuce wrote:
Apparently mdb is no financial expert.


I know two things, my chunk is tax free and I could of made it much larger.

OOCA?
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:09 am

bucfanclw wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:
I know two things, my chunk is tax free and I could of made it much larger.

OOCA?



Are you willing to clarify what your saying
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 am

When all of you guys got your super before tax plans all built up into huge portfolios, the government is going to tell you to start cashing it in so they can tax the crap out of you in your waning years. Thats when you will realize what you thought was all yours really isnt.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 am

mdb1958 wrote:When all of you guys got your super before tax plans all built up into huge portfolios, the government is going to tell you to start cashing it in so they can tax the crap out of you in your waning years. Thats when you will realize what you thought was all yours really isnt.

Relax, mdb. Someone from your family will be along shortly to put you into a home and take all your ****. It won't be the government.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 13866
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Sammich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:00 pm

There are a lot of good points in this thread, but the biggest reason Social Security is in a nose dive hasn't been mentioned. That reason is population shift. The cause of that shift is twofold-

Part 1- people are living (on average) much longer than they used to. This means that the average person spends a larger percentage of their life collecting than they used to.

Part 2- declining birth rates. The US (and every other westernized country) has birth rates below replacement level. Without factoring in immigration the working age portion of our society is shrinking.

The bottom line is that we have more people taking out of SS than we used to, while simultaneously having less people putting money in. Trying to fix Social Security directly is just treating the symptom and not the disease. No bandaid in the world is gonna fix this.
Sammich
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Sammich wrote:There are a lot of good points in this thread, but the biggest reason Social Security is in a nose dive hasn't been mentioned. That reason is population shift. The cause of that shift is twofold-

Part 1- people are living (on average) much longer than they used to. This means that the average person spends a larger percentage of their life collecting than they used to.

Part 2- declining birth rates. The US (and every other westernized country) has birth rates below replacement level. Without factoring in immigration the working age portion of our society is shrinking.

The bottom line is that we have more people taking out of SS than we used to, while simultaneously having less people putting money in. Trying to fix Social Security directly is just treating the symptom and not the disease. No bandaid in the world is gonna fix this.

Execute the Boomers. Problem solved.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 13866
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 am

Hey now. Let's not get crazy.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11669
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 961 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Sammich » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Sammich wrote:There are a lot of good points in this thread, but the biggest reason Social Security is in a nose dive hasn't been mentioned. That reason is population shift. The cause of that shift is twofold-

Part 1- people are living (on average) much longer than they used to. This means that the average person spends a larger percentage of their life collecting than they used to.

Part 2- declining birth rates. The US (and every other westernized country) has birth rates below replacement level. Without factoring in immigration the working age portion of our society is shrinking.

The bottom line is that we have more people taking out of SS than we used to, while simultaneously having less people putting money in. Trying to fix Social Security directly is just treating the symptom and not the disease. No bandaid in the world is gonna fix this.

Execute the Boomers. Problem solved.


I'm all for it as long as we do so knowing it won't actually fix the problem. We need to fix society and get the birth rates back up.
Sammich
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: so....social security

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Yes, because what we need is more people.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4390
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Buc2 wrote:Hey now. Let's not get crazy.



We will save you for last ... don’t worry
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6531
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Hey now. Let's not get crazy.



We will save you for last ... don’t worry

That's fine so long as it takes you at least 30 years to get around to me.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11669
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 961 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Sammich » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:40 pm

The Outsider wrote:Yes, because what we need is more people.


Lowering the overall population globally would help in theory. There are 2 problems with that, though.

1. When a population gets smaller the first group to shrink is the most important- the working age tax payers. The productive members of society that keep everything afloat. This is also the group that produces most of your soldiers.

2. The people that don't like us very much don't have any problems with their birth rates. They are at (or above) replacement levels. That may not sound important, but it's already starting to impact Europe.
Sammich
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:42 pm

I got a fix. Outlaw condoms and birth control meds.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11669
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 961 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Buc2 wrote:I got a fix. Outlaw condoms and birth control meds.



Mandate I get to bang any chick I want
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6531
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: so....social security

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Sammich wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Yes, because what we need is more people.


Lowering the overall population globally would help in theory. There are 2 problems with that, though.

1. When a population gets smaller the first group to shrink is the most important- the working age tax payers. The productive members of society that keep everything afloat. This is also the group that produces most of your soldiers.

2. The people that don't like us very much don't have any problems with their birth rates. They are at (or above) replacement levels. That may not sound important, but it's already starting to impact Europe.


Actually, what's impacting Europe is largely the result of regional instability to their south. Those Middle Easterners and Africans aren't flooding in to Europe because their countries are overcrowded.

As for the rest of it? I just don't like people.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4390
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Nano » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Just engineer the Krogen genophage for China and Russia and then wait for their populations to die. Boom, fixed the birth rate issue
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 7720
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Sammich wrote:There are a lot of good points in this thread, but the biggest reason Social Security is in a nose dive hasn't been mentioned. That reason is population shift. The cause of that shift is twofold-

Part 1- people are living (on average) much longer than they used to. This means that the average person spends a larger percentage of their life collecting than they used to.

Part 2- declining birth rates. The US (and every other westernized country) has birth rates below replacement level. Without factoring in immigration the working age portion of our society is shrinking.

The bottom line is that we have more people taking out of SS than we used to, while simultaneously having less people putting money in. Trying to fix Social Security directly is just treating the symptom and not the disease. No bandaid in the world is gonna fix this.

Execute the Boomers. Problem solved.




Send them my way first, I wanna pick and choose who dont ever see how it turns out...
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Long story short. Social Security needs to be fixed because congress broke it.

Long past time to elect people to congress who are committed to fix it regardless of party.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 13866
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Long story short. Social Security needs to be fixed because congress broke it.

Long past time to elect people to congress who are committed to fix it regardless of party.



They spent it. Here is an idea, take a percentage of the lotto and gambling ventures and grow the social security until it can make it own interest.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Long story short. Social Security needs to be fixed because congress broke it.

Long past time to elect people to congress who are committed to fix it regardless of party.



They spent it. Here is an idea, take a percentage of the lotto and gambling ventures and grow the social security until it can make it own interest.

Lottery and gambling taxation is a state issue, but ideas are the place to start.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 13866
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

They spent it. Here is an idea, take a percentage of the lotto and gambling ventures and grow the social security until it can make it own interest.

Lottery and gambling taxation is a state issue, but ideas are the place to start.



I know if after a few weeks they are giving someone 400 million dollars, they got a whole helluva lot more than that, who ever they is. Attach a small federal tax to it and build the SS into something that can invest its own money to make interest.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Want a laugh, they say that MUSL is a non profit association. Do you think anyone buying their chance tickets care if a percentage goes towards their eventual
limited income life.

It could be advertised that people are restoring the SS by playing the game.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Here's one for you Outsider, a once a week lotto that has a armored car pull up to the house with one pound of primo bud tax free to the winner. How many people will throw out 5 or 10 bucks for that chance?
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:37 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Here's one for you Outsider, a once a week lotto that has a armored car pull up to the house with one pound of primo bud tax free to the winner. How many people will throw out 5 or 10 bucks for that chance?


I'd rather win the money.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4390
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:37 am

Hmm, I really thought all of that would generate some discussion.

I even picked out a response I was hoping to hear!

Good idea, but dont count on Congress being able to pass that law
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Sammich » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:38 am

The Outsider wrote:
Sammich wrote:
Lowering the overall population globally would help in theory. There are 2 problems with that, though.

1. When a population gets smaller the first group to shrink is the most important- the working age tax payers. The productive members of society that keep everything afloat. This is also the group that produces most of your soldiers.

2. The people that don't like us very much don't have any problems with their birth rates. They are at (or above) replacement levels. That may not sound important, but it's already starting to impact Europe.


Actually, what's impacting Europe is largely the result of regional instability to their south. Those Middle Easterners and Africans aren't flooding in to Europe because their countries are overcrowded.

As for the rest of it? I just don't like people.


I never meant to imply they were overcrowded. I was just saying that their populations are growing.
Sammich
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: so....social security

Postby Buc2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Want a laugh, they say that MUSL is a non profit association. Do you think anyone buying their chance tickets care if a percentage goes towards their eventual
limited income life.

It could be advertised that people are restoring the SS by playing the game.

One thing that would help would be to remove the earnings cap on earned income. Then, all lottery winnings would be subject to the 7.5% SS tax, not just the 1st $127,000.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11669
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 961 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: so....social security

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Buc2 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Want a laugh, they say that MUSL is a non profit association. Do you think anyone buying their chance tickets care if a percentage goes towards their eventual
limited income life.

It could be advertised that people are restoring the SS by playing the game.

One thing that would help would be to remove the earnings cap on earned income. Then, all lottery winnings would be subject to the 7.5% SS tax, not just the 1st $127,000.



I'm not to concerned about the winners, thats chicken feed.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: so....social security

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Sammich wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
Actually, what's impacting Europe is largely the result of regional instability to their south. Those Middle Easterners and Africans aren't flooding in to Europe because their countries are overcrowded.

As for the rest of it? I just don't like people.


I never meant to imply they were overcrowded. I was just saying that their populations are growing.


Yeah, but most of the places in Europe with negative population growth are Eastern European "shit-holes" so to speak, and that's mostly due to emigration. Germany and Italy are the only outliers. The only other country on the list is Japan, which is obvious because they're all too busy working to have sex.

So, those places may have a population that is increasing faster than most of Europe's, or even ours, but that's to be expected with nations that are less developed economically and ideologically.

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1281454404
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4390
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Previous

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], uscbucsfan and 11 guests