Poll: Should marijuana be legalized?

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Should marijuana be legalized?

Yes
91%
Yes, but only for medical purposes
No votes
No
4%
No, but decriminalize for possession of small amounts (i.e. 1 gram or less)
4%

Total votes : 47

Re: Poll: Should marijuana be legalized?

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Oklahoma could legalize tonight.

Medical marijuana bill would allow physicians to prescribe for any condition they see fit and folks with a prescription can grow up to 12 plants at a time. It's a voter referendum.

Just glad they did it Sooner rather than later.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Passed by 10 points.

That makes 3/5ths of the country having it legal in some form or another.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Good for them. The sooner the holdout states get on board, the better for everyone.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Marijuana is not a crutch, it's a hammock. Can't sit in a hammock all the time, but it'd be cool if you could.

I just invented that ****.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Marijuana is not a crutch, it's a hammock. Can't sit in a hammock all the time, but it'd be cool if you could.

I just invented that ****.

good one.. now pass that ****! politician, blunt holding mofo!
Noles1724

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:19 pm

This just popped up on Reddit.

It was a flyer passed out in Oklahoma encouraging voters to NOT vote for legalization of MMJ.

Point 1- the law rested the decision of what conditions qualify to the doctor. Apparently doctors cannot be trusted with prescribing drugs.

Point 2- Probably a gross exaggeration.

Point 3- Probably bullshit. this is Oklahoma we are talking about here.

Point 4- Bullshit. And then on top of that they grossly exaggerate the yield from a plant. Everything I've read says a single plant will get you 2-4 oz. depending on the strain and growing conditions. 12 plants will get you a maximum of 48oz. or enough to smoke about 3 grams a day for a year.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:39 pm

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) —
A bill requiring California prosecutors to erase or reduce thousands of marijuana criminal convictions was approved by the state Legislature on Wednesday and now awaits Gov. Jerry Brown's signature.

When voters passed Proposition 64 in 2016 to allow adult use of marijuana, they also eliminated several pot-related crimes. The proposition also applied retroactively to past pot convictions, but provided no mechanism or guidance on how those eligible could erase their convictions or have felonies reduced to misdemeanors.

The Senate passed a bill Wednesday that would make that happen.

The bill orders the state Department of Justice to identify eligible cases between 1975 and 2016 and send the results to the appropriate prosecutor.

Most district attorneys have said they don't have the resources to review past convictions to identify eligible cases.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:31 pm

NYBF wrote:SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) —
A bill requiring California prosecutors to erase or reduce thousands of marijuana criminal convictions was approved by the state Legislature on Wednesday and now awaits Gov. Jerry Brown's signature.

When voters passed Proposition 64 in 2016 to allow adult use of marijuana, they also eliminated several pot-related crimes. The proposition also applied retroactively to past pot convictions, but provided no mechanism or guidance on how those eligible could erase their convictions or have felonies reduced to misdemeanors.

The Senate passed a bill Wednesday that would make that happen.

The bill orders the state Department of Justice to identify eligible cases between 1975 and 2016 and send the results to the appropriate prosecutor.

Most district attorneys have said they don't have the resources to review past convictions to identify eligible cases.

They'll have to have an application process through state government to do it one at a time.

Upside is that if an old pot possession charge pops up on a background check, its going to be disregarded by most employers already given the times and the change in the law.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Good. Marijuana laws have always been draconian imo.

This should be done on a federal level and I think it will be to some degree in the near future. If the GOP was smart they would push this through instead of letting Dems take the credit once the pendulum swings back. Trump could certainly use a win right now, amirite :P ?

Criminal Justice reform to include sentencing reform for non-violent and victim-less crimes are long overdue to the point we've passed the 60% approval threshold. And unlike many things the government doesn't need to find a way to fund this action. In fact just by passing it you'd be adding more potential tax payers into the population instead having our current tax dollars spent to provide them room and board.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:49 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Good. Marijuana laws have always been draconian imo.

This should be done on a federal level and I think it will be to some degree in the near future. If the GOP was smart they would push this through instead of letting Dems take the credit once the pendulum swings back. Trump could certainly use a win right now, amirite :P ?

Criminal Justice reform to include sentencing reform for non-violent and victim-less crimes are long overdue to the point we've passed the 60% approval threshold. And unlike many things the government doesn't need to find a way to fund this action. In fact just by passing it you'd be adding more potential tax payers into the population instead having our current tax dollars spent to provide them room and board.

You think the federal government should commute sentencing? I think that's a terrible idea. I'm all for legalizing pot, but it's a law that these individuals are knowingly breaking, in some cases multiple times. I'm fine with states doing this, but not the fed. Different state populations have differing opinions on this.

For the record I think it's great that California is doing it.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:14 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

You think the federal government should commute sentencing? I think that's a terrible idea. I'm all for legalizing pot, but it's a law that these individuals are knowingly breaking, in some cases multiple times. I'm fine with states doing this, but not the fed. Different state populations have differing opinions on this.

If someone is serving a lengthy federal prison sentence for a Marijuana related convictions and there was not any violence, victim, or firearm charges associated with it and that same infraction would be a misdemeanor or even legal today I'm 100% ok with their sentence being commuted to something more proportionate with todays standards.

Two specifics reform areas for me are marijuana sentencing and the fact it's still a schedule/class 1 illicit drug, in addition to the sentencing disparity between rock and powder cocaine that unjustly penalizes poorer communities where crack is more prevalent.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

If someone is serving a lengthy federal prison sentence for a Marijuana related convictions and there was not any violence, victim, or firearm charges associated with it and that same infraction would be a misdemeanor or even legal today I'm 100% ok with their sentence being commuted to something more proportionate with todays standards.

Two specifics reform areas for me are marijuana sentencing and the fact it's still a schedule/class 1 illicit drug, in addition to the sentencing disparity between rock and powder cocaine that unjustly penalizes poorer communities where crack is more prevalent.

1. It's not legal on a federal level
2. 99.5% of inmates in federal prison for drug charges are for trafficking according to a 2015 report. What state is it legal to traffic drugs?
uscbucsfan

Postby deltbucs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm

I'd say there's about a zero percent chance that reform happens under this administration. The private prison industry spent a lot of money on this administration and they have been reward handsomely thus far. I don't see that changing. I'd love to be wrong, though.
deltbucs

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:50 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

2. 99.5% of inmates in federal prison for drug charges are for trafficking according to a 2015 report. What state is it legal to traffic drugs?

I understand pot is legal on a federal level, yet. Unless you're a pharma company it's illegal to traffic drugs. I assume those were rhetorical.

I agree that "trafficking" marijuana shouldn't be the focus. Given that stat it seems to be a non-issue at the federal level and would agree that states need to address it since they are the ones that can fix where the issues are.

I'm just not a fan of the criminalization of marijuana when it comes the everyday user or local pot dealer.
DreadNaught

Postby StillCSG » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:46 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

1. **** the feds
2. See #1
StillCSG

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Great input.
uscbucsfan

Postby The Outsider » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:15 pm

It's not hard to get busted for trafficking whether or not you're actually dealing drugs.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Theres been an uptick in New England of people OD'ing on synthetic weed.

The logic being that people on probation etc. Are going to this **** to get around drug testing.

Not sure what the blue states of New England are waiting on. Vermont and Massachusetts figured it out, where you at Connecticut?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:03 pm

The Outsider wrote:It's not hard to get busted for trafficking whether or not you're actually dealing drugs.

So I looked this up. For just possession 50 kg or 50 plants is the minimum threshold for federal trafficking charges. That's 110 pounds. That's the minimum level of trafficking and the maximum sentence is 5 years. That's not what a normal person has in their house.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:15 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:It's not hard to get busted for trafficking whether or not you're actually dealing drugs.

So I looked this up. For just possession 50 kg or 50 plants is the minimum threshold for federal trafficking charges. That's 110 pounds. That's the minimum level of trafficking and the maximum sentence is 5 years. That's not what a normal person has in their house.

I would like to be an abnormal person.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:53 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:So I looked this up. For just possession 50 kg or 50 plants is the minimum threshold for federal trafficking charges. That's 110 pounds. That's the minimum level of trafficking and the maximum sentence is 5 years. That's not what a normal person has in their house.

I would like to be an abnormal person.

I'm getting the distinct impression that usc does not want to do bong hits with you, Mountaineer OG Kush.
Brazen331

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:59 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I would like to be an abnormal person.

I'm getting the distinct impression that usc does not want to do bong hits with you, Mountaineer OG Kush.

I'm more of a Dutch master guy.
uscbucsfan

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:09 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Theres been an uptick in New England of people OD'ing on synthetic weed.

The logic being that people on probation etc. Are going to this **** to get around drug testing.

Not sure what the blue states of New England are waiting on. Vermont and Massachusetts figured it out, where you at Connecticut?

That recent uptick was a pretty fucked up situation. It happened over the course of 2 days, and it was a homeless advocate who was selling the **** to the people in the park.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:42 am

uscbucsfan wrote:

Yeah that's my bad. I didn't realize trafficking and intent to distribute were that much different.

Either way, in a lot of states, like Florida, you can catch an intent to distribute charge simply for having two different bags of weed. Most of those people don't get prison sentences, but that definitely depends heavily on the individuals socioeconomic standing
The Outsider

Postby The Outsider » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:43 am

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Theres been an uptick in New England of people OD'ing on synthetic weed.

That recent uptick was a pretty fucked up situation. It happened over the course of 2 days, and it was a homeless advocate who was selling the **** to the people in the park.

I mean, it isn't a secret that synthetic weed is one of the worst things you can ever do.
The Outsider

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:46 am

smoking weed is bad for you,nothing healthy about it... but they shouldn't be throwing peaple in prison for years over it either.
Jason Bourne

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 am

The Outsider wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I mean, it isn't a secret that synthetic weed is one of the worst things you can ever do.

Right. But for a homeless advocate to be preying on the homeless people there, it's next level fucked.
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:48 am

Jason Bourne wrote:nothing healthy about it...

We can always count on you for baseless, false statements.

Thanks.
uscbucsfan

Postby Stuart » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:49 am

That synthetic **** is BAD news. Knew someone that was a regular and it really fucked their head up psychologically. The stuff you could buy at a gas station, but I think it's illegal now.

I tried a small amount a time or two....bad news. like acid. never know what you'll get and can freak you the **** out. never again.
Stuart

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:nothing healthy about it...

We can always count on you for baseless, false statements.

Thanks.

tell me how having the lungs filter out smoke is healthy? I guess lung cancer is baseless and false ? :roll:
Jason Bourne

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion