Surveillance -- anyone keeping up with this?

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Surveillance -- anyone keeping up with this?

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:05 pm

http://reason.com/blog/2017/12/20/congr ... trusive-fe

excerpt:

Today the House may vote to renew the authority of the FBI and National Security Agency (NSA) to engage in unwarranted surveillance and codify its use against Americans.

Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Amendments expires at the end of the year. The regulations are used by federal intelligence agencies to snoop on foreign targets, secretly and without warrants.

It turns out the feds have also been using Section 702 to snoop on communications by Americans here on American soil to fight domestic crimes, all without getting a warrant as the Fourth Amendment requires. So as the clock ticks down, privacy-minded activists and legislators have been working to demand changes to Section 702 before renewing it to guarantee that the FBI and NSA get warrants in order to collect, review, or use as evidence communications and data from Americans for domestic purposes.

No dice. At least not yet. Last night House leaders scheduled for a vote the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017, H.R. 4478. This, among the proposed bills to renew Section 702, is the worst of the lot, hammered out by the intelligence committees of both the House and the Senate.

it started with Bush 43 and continues to get worse
Zarniwoop

Re: Surveillance -- anyone keeping up with this?

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:17 pm

How is this not a bi-partisan issue? Who are politicians afraid of pissing off if they vote no?

Are they afraid that after the next mass shooting/terror attack it’ll be said “We could have prevented this but Zarni votes no”? (Just using your name for the moment Zarni).
PrimeMinister

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 pm

It should be hard for Republicans to sell this vote to the constituency after declaring victory against ISIS, but hell, they bought in to the whole ending net neutrality thing so why not?
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:23 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:How is this not a bi-partisan issue?

You'd think wouldn't you?

If anything should be bi-partisan it should be protecting the citizens from the government...but sadly, with lifelong government folks now...we know who they want to give the power to.

The fact of the matter is that government surveillance is way too large under Bush43, Obama and now Trump. It hasn't been struck down by democratic presidents or senates or republican ones.
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:How is this not a bi-partisan issue?

You'd think wouldn't you?

If anything should be bi-partisan it should be protecting the citizens from the government...but sadly, with lifelong government folks now...we know who they want to give the power to.

Yeah I just don’t see the win for the Yes vote here.

The politicians don’t even have the “Bin Laden boogeyman” Bush 43 liberally used to get this BS started. I think Americans just expect privacy to be eroded now so it’s not as big a deal as it should be.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 pm

exactly

maybe someone can show me a list of powers that once the government took, they eventually gave back when times/context changed

The 4th amendment stuff blows my mind. As a nation we seem to have adopted this...if you didn't do anything wrong, you shouldn't be worried mentality. I don't understand how anyone can possibly think like that
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:exactly

maybe someone can show me a list of powers that once the government took, they eventually gave back when times/context changed

The 4th amendment stuff blows my mind. As a nation we seem to have adopted this...if you didn't do anything wrong, you shouldn't be worried mentality. I don't understand how anyone can possibly think like that

Law & Order.

Seriously though, it’s a mentality that’s easy to adopt when you’re not the accused. Americans initially adopted that mentality out of fear. What’s giving up a few rights for safety? “If the accused terrorist didn’t blow up the building then why is he scared?! He has nothing to worry about. Why should he have rights?! Did his victims have rights?!!!” Or something like that.

Unfortunately they don’t appreciate that this change affects them to...until they do see it too late.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Now that I’m thinking about it actually Law & Order and other crime dramas all routinely show the suspect’s rights being violated and we the viewer are trained to cheer for it. I wonder how 25+ years of this has affected how the public views personal rights of suspects.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 pm

1984 continued.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:11 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Now that I’m thinking about it actually Law & Order and other crime dramas all routinely show the suspect’s rights being violated and we the viewer are trained to cheer for it. I wonder how 25+ years of this has affected how the public views personal rights of suspects.

The cops are the good guys.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:48 am

Babeinbucland

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Timely bump

And nothing will change as long as we have establishment DCers voting themselves as much power as they can possibly grab....I’m looking at you MCain. And you Kasich. And the rest of you fucktards

Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Yeah, God Bless America and all that.
The Outsider

Return to Politics and Religion