Random Education News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Random Education News

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:10 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Absolutely, he's a serious person that has been made out to be a boogeyman. Go read his memo on gender differences he submitted internally at Google AFTER he was requested to write it.

The guy is nerdy programmer that happens to be conservative. He cited scientific research is well done paper (for not being a scientist) and was fired for 'advancing harmful gender stereotypes'.

Do you REALLY want me to read a 10 page diatribe on how women are less suited to being engineers?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I'm not going to agree with his premise.


It doesn't take long. I'd like to understand what you disagree with and/or what you felt was controversial, if anything.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13526
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:11 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:arent suited might not be the best descriptor as it implies aren’t capable but his premise is right

Women flock to some jobs....men to others

There is nothing wrong with that




The Nordic countries tried to force equal participation in job categories and it failed miserably


On the aggregate people in different genders like different things.

K-5 teaching is dominated by women. Garbage truck workers are mostly male. Is it because there are barriers to women being on a garbage truck or men teaching kids? I think not, it’s just how it works out


Exactly. It is how we are wired. We can thank evolution 100%.

This is a great documentary with a friendly humorous approach towards the question - shot in Norway by a Norwegian comedian in 2011, before this was all really whipped up into the frenzy we have today:



MB, grab a beer, throw this thing on at 1.5 speed and enjoy. It’s probably one of the most inoccuously informative thing I’ve read or watched on the subject.

It’s testosterone. It’s that simple. Our entire social structure is driven by a couple chemicals. And it’s not by accident, we owe everything - our entire existence to this fact.
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 3303
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 405 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Hormones are a social construct!!
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13526
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby RedLeader » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Image


Computer school in Ghana.







#perspective
User avatar
RedLeader
 
Posts: 2910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm
Location: G14 Classified
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Buc2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Image
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Lol
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Caradoc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I know this thread is for discussing education policy, but I wanted to touch on this because academia is having a serious problem with this kind of ****.

https://streamable.com/ryrnn

In this clip, a discussion on gender, gender roles, and so forth is being presented and when the evolutionary biologist states the biological fact among all species that males and females are demonstrably different, there's a walkout and a bunch of shenanigans.

By nature, a progressive is constantly in search of better ideas and better ways understanding the world and generally unbound by dogma. Obviously, academia is a great place for progressives to explore these concepts but what these idiots lack is the ability to understand that not all new ideas are good ideas just because they are new.

In order to be academically sound, the idea MUST undergo the scientific process or at least a logical examination AND be peer reviewed. AND this process has to be done without bias. If the idea can be demonstrably disproved by SCIENCE, the idea is making the wrong assumption. These kids aren't doing that. They aren't open to exploring the idea because of their own preconceived notions and not allowing new information to guide their learning. It is EXACTLY the type of thinking progressives criticize conservatives about in the political arena and they HAVE to understand the dissonance involved. It's completely counter-intuitive to learning, and it's not Progressive at all....It's merely replacing one dogma with another for the purpose of justifying why they feel weird and attempting to normalize it by tantrum.


Aside from the sheer ridiculousness of attributing what you do to progressives, it is also highly amusing to note your complete lack of self awareness as evidenced by the posts nearly immediately following it:


Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'd have to read his memo to argue its merits.

I don't want to read the Communist Manifesto let alone the Google Manifesto.



Mountaineer Buc wrote:Do you REALLY want me to read a 10 page diatribe on how women are less suited to being engineers?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I'm not going to agree with his premise.


You have no interest in reading what he wrote, have already decided that not only will you disagree with his premise (without knowing what it is), you claim he said women are "less suited" for programming (which is not remotely what he said) and you demean his paper by referring to it as a diatribe. The only difference between what you just did and what you just complained about the students doing is your relatively lower volume and lack of attempted destruction of property.
Caradoc
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Dude. I havent even read the Democrat memo on the Meuller investigation. And I'm actually interested in that.

Who he is and what he wrote is irrelevant to the topic. The topic being having an interest in learning in the classroom. Having enough humility to understand that they're 19 years old and know **** about ****.

This Google guy isn't running for office. Doesn't occupy an office. And in just about any way I can think of have anything to do with me. So, no. I don't care to read a 10 page office suicide and I doubt I stand to learn anything from it except to have a peek into the mind of someone I don't care about.

Now unless you have some compelling insight on why this memo is important and how it pertains to education, you can go eat a ****.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14326
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 666 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby The Outsider » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Man his mouth must be super full of **** right now.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4606
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:48 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:arent suited might not be the best descriptor as it implies aren’t capable but his premise is right

Women flock to some jobs....men to others

There is nothing wrong with that




The Nordic countries tried to force equal participation in job categories and it failed miserably


On the aggregate people in different genders like different things.

K-5 teaching is dominated by women. Garbage truck workers are mostly male. Is it because there are barriers to women being on a garbage truck or men teaching kids? I think not, it’s just how it works out


Exactly. It is how we are wired. We can thank evolution 100%.

This is a great documentary with a friendly humorous approach towards the question - shot in Norway by a Norwegian comedian in 2011, before this was all really whipped up into the frenzy we have today:



MB, grab a beer, throw this thing on at 1.5 speed and enjoy. It’s probably one of the most inoccuously informative thing I’ve read or watched on the subject.

It’s testosterone. It’s that simple. Our entire social structure is driven by a couple chemicals. And it’s not by accident, we owe everything - our entire existence to this fact.



I remember when you posted this video a while back. Good stuff
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Now unless you have some compelling insight on why this memo is important and how it pertains to education, you can go eat a ****.


Easy tie into education and other institutions for that matter. Academia and the media have taken a hard left turn on what they deem acceptable ideas. Take ESPN for example, I have no issue with them going political in their coverage, but it's one sided and not an open marketplace of ideas/thought. Instead it's strict PC/leftist dogma where feelings are more important than facts. Same thing in academia, which is why we see radicals like the ones in that video who are triggered when they hear facts that poke holes in their ideology. Google and silicon valley are now following suit and that is how Damore's memo pertains to education.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13526
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:19 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Now unless you have some compelling insight on why this memo is important and how it pertains to education, you can go eat a ****.


Easy tie into education and other institutions for that matter. Academia and the media have taken a hard left turn on what they deem acceptable ideas. Take ESPN for example, I have no issue with them going political in their coverage, but it's one sided and not an open marketplace of ideas/thought. Instead it's strict PC/leftist dogma where feelings are more important than facts. Same thing in academia, which is why we see radicals like the ones in that video who are triggered when they hear facts that poke holes in their ideology. Google and silicon valley are now following suit and that is how Damore's memo pertains to education.

That's the justification? The media?

"The media is full of leftists, and so is business, and so is acedemia. Case closed."

I thought I said compelling.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14326
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 666 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Exactly. It is how we are wired. We can thank evolution 100%.

This is a great documentary with a friendly humorous approach towards the question - shot in Norway by a Norwegian comedian in 2011, before this was all really whipped up into the frenzy we have today:



MB, grab a beer, throw this thing on at 1.5 speed and enjoy. It’s probably one of the most inoccuously informative thing I’ve read or watched on the subject.

It’s testosterone. It’s that simple. Our entire social structure is driven by a couple chemicals. And it’s not by accident, we owe everything - our entire existence to this fact.



I remember when you posted this video a while back. Good stuff


Lol I’m going to post it over and over again until MB watches it ;)
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 3303
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 405 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

I remember when you posted this video a while back. Good stuff


Lol I’m going to post it over and over again until MB watches it ;)


Maybe he feels safe in his own echo chamber of ideas. Quit bullying him into seeing a different perpective than how he's been indoctrinated to think before I report you for purporting harmful stereotypes.

You're welcome MB.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13526
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 550 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Caradoc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Dude. I havent even read the Democrat memo on the Meuller investigation. And I'm actually interested in that.

Who he is and what he wrote is irrelevant to the topic. The topic being having an interest in learning in the classroom. Having enough humility to understand that they're 19 years old and know **** about ****.

This Google guy isn't running for office. Doesn't occupy an office. And in just about any way I can think of have anything to do with me. So, no. I don't care to read a 10 page office suicide and I doubt I stand to learn anything from it except to have a peek into the mind of someone I don't care about.

Now unless you have some compelling insight on why this memo is important and how it pertains to education, you can go eat a ****.



I'm not trying to convince you to read the memo. I couldn't care less actually. What I AM doing is pointing out your tremendous hypocrisy as in one post you rail about people not being open to new ideas and throwing a fit about those ideas, and then in the next you flat our state you aren't interested in a different idea, misstate that idea, and slander the author's work as a "diatribe" without even knowing what he said. You are the same as the kids you complained about. Exactly. The. Same. As. Them.

Yet somehow you claim you can't see how these kids get these ideas when you exhibit the exact same behaviors. (Pro tip: they get them from you and people like you.)

Oh, and the "nature of a progressive" nonsense is idiotic tribal identification. There is no inherent superiority or "nature" to people who hold a particular ideology, as much as you may wish it. There are open and closed minds in every party and group and dogma in every stance. Although I must confess, it seems current progressives seem to have a strong tendency to act just like you and those kids, ignore things that might expose you to differing viewpoints, demean those who hold them, and when confronted resort to namecalling and juvenile insults. (and then claim that responding to you isn't on topic)
Last edited by Caradoc on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caradoc
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Dude. I havent even read the Democrat memo on the Meuller investigation. And I'm actually interested in that.

Who he is and what he wrote is irrelevant to the topic. The topic being having an interest in learning in the classroom. Having enough humility to understand that they're 19 years old and know **** about ****.

This Google guy isn't running for office. Doesn't occupy an office. And in just about any way I can think of have anything to do with me. So, no. I don't care to read a 10 page office suicide and I doubt I stand to learn anything from it except to have a peek into the mind of someone I don't care about.

Now unless you have some compelling insight on why this memo is important and how it pertains to education, you can go eat a ****.



I'm not trying to convince you to read the memo. I couldn't care less actually. What I AM doing is pointing out your tremendous hypocrisy as in one post you rail about people not being open to new ideas and then in the next you flat our state you aren't interested in a different idea, misstate that idea, and slander the author's work as a "diatribe" without even knowing what he said. You are the same as the kids you complained about. Exactly. The. Same. As. Them.

Yet somehow you claim you can't see how these kids get these ideas when you exhibit the exact same behaviors. (Pro tip: they get them from you and people like you.)

Oh, and the "nature of a progressive" nonsense is idiotic tribal identification. There is no inherent superiority or "nature" to people who hold a particular ideology, as much as you may wish it. There are open and closed minds in every party and group and dogma in every stance. Although I must confess, it seems current progressives seem to have a strong tendency to act just like you and those kids, ignore things that might expose you to differing viewpoints, demean those who hold them, and when confronted resort to namecalling and juvenile insults. (and then claim that responding to you isn't on topic)

Yeah, I didn't read mein kampf either for the same reason.

I must be too closed minded.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14326
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 666 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Caradoc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:58 pm

And Godwin's Law is proven yet again.

Damore is now "literally Hitler".

But I bet you still don't understand why progressive kids these days call everyone who disagrees with them Nazis.
Caradoc
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:30 pm
Has thanked: 268 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Caradoc wrote:And Godwin's Law is proven yet again.

Damore is now "literally Hitler".

But I bet you still don't understand why progressive kids these days call everyone who disagrees with them Nazis.

Now you're just trolling.

Tell me about the time you read Chomsky or Reich or the cross of gold speech by William Jennings Bryan or Marx and then tell me how open minded you are compared to me.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14326
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 666 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Before you ask, here's a rundown of conservative literature I've read over the years since what I read is so goddamned important to you.

Reagan on Leadership.
The way it aughtta be by Rush Limbaugh.
How to talk to a liberal by Ann Coulter.
Bold fresh piece of humanity by Bill O'Reilly.
Conscience of a Conservative by Barry Golwater.
Decision Points by GWB

And I read George Will pretty steadily from 2012 to 2015.

And that's off the top of my drunken head.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14326
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 666 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:02 pm

None of that is really literature and very little is conservative


:P
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:None of that is really literature and very little is conservative


:P

All depends on who you talk to I guess.

Not exactly standard reading at our Soros rallies.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14326
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 666 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

I remember when you posted this video a while back. Good stuff


Lol I’m going to post it over and over again until MB watches it ;)


Great article posted over at CATO about this

https://www.cato.org/publications/polic ... ss-ceiling
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:19 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Lol I’m going to post it over and over again until MB watches it ;)


Great article posted over at CATO about this

https://www.cato.org/publications/polic ... ss-ceiling

Speaking of Nordic equality, here's an article (titled: Safe, happy and free: does Finland have all the answers?) a Finnish friend of mine shared with me a couple weeks ago when we were discussing the differences between our countries. It's specifically about Finland...not Nordic countries in general.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... are_btn_tw

Just to highlight the "equality" parts of the article...
The Nordic country’s 5.5 million inhabitants are also the third most gender-equal in the world and have the fifth lowest income inequality.

Cooperation, but also relative equality, are recurring themes. Ruled for almost 600 years by Sweden and a further century by Russia, Finland was “generally and democratically poor”, says Kähkönen. “There were no serfs, but no wildly wealthy aristocrats either. Society was not hierarchical.”

Gender equality, similarly, was baked in. In 1906, Finnish women became, if not quite the first to win the vote, the first to run for electoral office. Nearly 10% of MPs in Finland’s first parliament were women (the figure is now 42%); as early as 1930, up to 30% of university students were women. “Women in Finland took their rights seriously, and men accepted it,” says Halonen.

The magic sauce, then, seems based mainly on basic virtues: self-confidence, cooperation, equality, respect for education, trust. At bottom and in practice, says Anu Partanen, a Finnish journalist who now lives in New York, it boils down to a different quality of relationship. She calls it – since it is shared to a greater or lesser extent by Sweden, Norway and Denmark – the Nordic theory of love.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am

Good article talking about higher education

The gist of it is that higher education isn’t a public good and shouldn’t be treated as such.

https://reason.com/archives/2018/03/11/ ... is-selfish
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Here's a good sister article

http://reason.com/archives/2018/03/11/a ... -cutting-s



Saying something many folks on here have said many times (both left and right)

1.) too many kids are going to college
2.) investing in vocational education
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:42 pm

I read the first article and have something to say about it, but im going to wait until I can devote as much time to it as it deserves.

But the crux of it is going to be that you can't defund education until its no longer the single greatest social and economic elevator in society.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14326
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 157 times
Been thanked: 666 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Just read an article that shows how the L.A. independent school district is $16B in debt....due almost exclusively to pensions. It seem they apply the 80 rule -- you get full salary pension till you die when your age + years of service = 80. Not only that, but you get 100% health care coverage at no cost to you for your entire lifetime.


Honestly...who in their right mind could have thought that up? Though the article was about education, we can generalize it to all of these types of pensions. These types of plans (sans the health care part) used to be common in the private sector too. My grandmother got a check from LTV till she died when she was 98 (even though my grandad died at 64).

In regards to those who craft/ed these types of plans

1.) Were they exceptionally idiotic at math and not understand that these plans could double or even triple labor costs as generations go on? (particularly in those cases when employee contribution is ZERO)

2.) Did they simply not care about the consequences because they figured they would be long gone before **** got really upside down?
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Just read an article that shows how the L.A. independent school district is $16B in debt....due almost exclusively to pensions. It seem they apply the 80 rule -- you get full salary pension till you die when your age + years of service = 80. Not only that, but you get 100% health care coverage at no cost to you for your entire lifetime.


Honestly...who in their right mind could have thought that up? Though the article was about education, we can generalize it to all of these types of pensions. These types of plans (sans the health care part) used to be common in the private sector too. My grandmother got a check from LTV till she died when she was 98 (even though my grandad died at 64).

In regards to those who craft/ed these types of plans

1.) Were they exceptionally idiotic at math and not understand that these plans could double or even triple labor costs as generations go on? (particularly in those cases when employee contribution is ZERO)

2.) Did they simply not care about the consequences because they figured they would be long gone before **** got really upside down?

I have not researched this, but, going off my limited knowledge of US labor history, I think the biggest reason these type of pension plans happened were due to union demands back when unions were uber powerful...from the Great Depression and up through the 60's and even 70's. Many companies no longer have such unsustainable pension plans. Even the Detroit auto makers no longer do that craziness.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Just read an article that shows how the L.A. independent school district is $16B in debt....due almost exclusively to pensions. It seem they apply the 80 rule -- you get full salary pension till you die when your age + years of service = 80. Not only that, but you get 100% health care coverage at no cost to you for your entire lifetime.


Honestly...who in their right mind could have thought that up? Though the article was about education, we can generalize it to all of these types of pensions. These types of plans (sans the health care part) used to be common in the private sector too. My grandmother got a check from LTV till she died when she was 98 (even though my grandad died at 64).

In regards to those who craft/ed these types of plans

1.) Were they exceptionally idiotic at math and not understand that these plans could double or even triple labor costs as generations go on? (particularly in those cases when employee contribution is ZERO)

2.) Did they simply not care about the consequences because they figured they would be long gone before **** got really upside down?

I have not researched this, but, going off my limited knowledge of US labor history, I think the biggest reason these type of pension plans happened were due to union demands back when unions were uber powerful...from the Great Depression and up through the 60's and even 70's. Many companies no longer have such unsustainable pension plans. Even the Detroit auto makers no longer do that craziness.




I'm glad they are out of the private sector for the most part...of all of my friends only one, guy who works for AT&T, has a private pension plan like these...instead of the more common 401k.

I do think they are far more prevalent unfortunately in the public sector. Just like we pay the dickheads in Congress for their life.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6699
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 348 times
Been thanked: 292 times

Re: Random Education News

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I have not researched this, but, going off my limited knowledge of US labor history, I think the biggest reason these type of pension plans happened were due to union demands back when unions were uber powerful...from the Great Depression and up through the 60's and even 70's. Many companies no longer have such unsustainable pension plans. Even the Detroit auto makers no longer do that craziness.




I'm glad they are out of the private sector for the most part...of all of my friends only one, guy who works for AT&T, has a private pension plan like these...instead of the more common 401k.

I do think they are far more prevalent unfortunately in the public sector. Just like we pay the dickheads in Congress for their life.

Went to Wiki to see when the insanity of Congressional pensions began...

Members of Congress voted to extend pension benefits to the legislative branch under the CSRS (formerly limited to the executive branch) in January 1942 under a provision of P.L. 77-411. Congress repealed their pension two months later, due to public outcry in the early months of America's involvement in World War II. It was not until after the war, in 1946, that Congress would be covered under the CSRS with the passage of P.L. 79-601. The justification this time was that a pension would "bring into the legislative service a larger number of younger members with fresh energy and new viewpoints" by encouraging older Members to retire.

I got a good laugh out the bolded part. Instead, we have lifers with old, moldy, out-dated ideas and viewpoints.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11976
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 415 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ken Carson, Mountaineer Buc, PrimeMinister, RedLeader, uscbucsfan and 8 guests