Random Education News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Education News

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:MB,

While I agree to an extent. I don't think we can ever truly have something like that with a government run system. I don't even know where to begin with thinking of implementing something that is non-structural, but uniform. How would grading work? College? How would we know if kids are even learning? What about the kids that are simply untalented and/or have behavior or psychological issues?

All valid questions, but I think its best to define what the desired end state looks like and how to get a kid there from Kindergarten before we determine what metrics can measure the effectiveness of the plan.

To put all the metrics first is to create the exact same environment that we are trying to dismantle in one way or the other.

That's my point. What you said sounds good getting high with friends, but it isn't applicable in the real world.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:49 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:All valid questions, but I think its best to define what the desired end state looks like and how to get a kid there from Kindergarten before we determine what metrics can measure the effectiveness of the plan.

To put all the metrics first is to create the exact same environment that we are trying to dismantle in one way or the other.

That's my point. What you said sounds good getting high with friends, but it isn't applicable in the real world.

Not with that attitude.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:That's my point. What you said sounds good getting high with friends, but it isn't applicable in the real world.

Not with that attitude.

OK
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am

As everyone knows, I am a big believer that our current system is far too much "one size fits all"

but i equally don't like losing all structure

and I know i'm very different then lots here when i say education is fundamentally about acquiring knowledge and learning how to learn. education should not be used as a training for jobs (though there at times can be overlap -- for example, critical thinking should be taught in education, it not only serves as a basis to teach lifelong learning, it helps in practical areas like job performance). however, apprenticeships and entry level jobs are for teaching job skills. education is for teaching how to learn and it requires the study of all traditional disciplines.

----

as an aside, MB i have NO idea how you can square your idea towards individual learning with gov't run education. even the best decentralized private schools in the US with absolutely no bureaucracy nor any mandates can achieve individualized learning.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 am

Zarniwoop wrote:As everyone knows, I am a big believer that our current system is far too much "one size fits all"

but i equally don't like losing all structure

and I know i'm very different then lots here when i say education is fundamentally about acquiring knowledge and learning how to learn. education should not be used as a training for jobs (though there at times can be overlap -- for example, critical thinking should be taught in education, it not only serves as a basis to teach lifelong learning, it helps in practical areas like job performance). however, apprenticeships and entry level jobs are for teaching job skills. education is for teaching how to learn and it requires the study of all traditional disciplines.

Totally fine with this.

I See your edit. I'll try to explain in a bit.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:and I know i'm very different then lots here when i say education is fundamentally about acquiring knowledge and learning how to learn. education should not be used as a training for jobs (though there at times can be overlap -- for example, critical thinking should be taught in education, it not only serves as a basis to teach lifelong learning, it helps in practical areas like job performance). however, apprenticeships and entry level jobs are for teaching job skills. education is for teaching how to learn and it requires the study of all traditional disciplines.

I agree with this. Things like graphing on a coordinate plane and long division help with learning how to learn, developing your brain, teaching how to do research, how to write, how to think critically. No one cares in 20 years about what the green light in the Great Gatsby really meant, but the skills you learned in reading, analyzing, and writing the report on it will stay with you forever.

My 6 year old son is in Spanish immersion. Because he's so confused and shocked with learning Spanish, he doesn't realize he's actually learning math and doing well with it. It's awesome.
uscbucsfan

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm

From my understanding there is somewhat an option for such things. There are many charter and magnet schools that have emphasis on different focuses. Some that focus on music, some that focus on learning through animals and habitats.

I do know this is mostly talking about Tampa, but this website is based on a team in Tampa. So it is not far fetched to feel that impacts most of the users. I believe MB is in the panhandle somewhere so the choices might be less up there as it would be a less populated area. So the ability to cater to different focuses would be less.

I know one trend that is going around is Montessori education. This is more focused on letting the child themselves select what they want to learn. I have seen it more in pre-school but there might be a chance for one of these to be a charter or magnet school near you MB?

My experience is that magnet schools are a lot more willing to work with you rather than charter schools. Also from what I have heard account of, the charter schools are much more demanding of your own personal time and donations.
PanteraCanes

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:19 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:No one cares in 20 years about what the green light in the Great Gatsby really meant, but the skills you learned in reading, analyzing, and writing the report on it will stay with you forever.

Very well put ... sadly fewer and fewer people think like this nowadays...they focus on the ends, not the means. Education is almost exclusively about the means
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Structure and discipline are essential to a child's development according to physiologists and other child development professionals. So long as that is maintained, I see no reason that schools can't explore outside of the box. A little. But the main curriculum will still need structure to ensure that every child is learning at some base, quantifiable level.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:16 am

Good summary of the current court case of Asian students vs Harvard

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... n-students

I hope Harvard gets their ass handed to them.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:27 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Good summary of the current court case of Asian students vs Harvard

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... n-students

I hope Harvard gets their ass handed to them.

Harvard flatly denies that its admissions process involves discrimination or quotas on racial groups. The university says that race is just one of a number of factors considered – and that it is only considered as a positive factor, not a negative one.

This, imo, is just wrong in today's world. Race should not be considered, what-so-ever, in the admissions process. All perspective students should be considered on merit. The bolded part alone is discrimination.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I almost went to John Carroll as an undergrad

Declan Leary, a conservative student at a private Jesuit university in Ohio, was questioned by the administration after objecting on religious grounds to the annual campus drag show.

"I can't help but wonder who thought it would be a good idea to hire grown men to dress up as women on a Catholic campus for the deviant entertainment of misguided young people," he wrote in an op-ed for the campus newspaper.

The piece generated heated argument. It also attracted the attention of John Carroll University's Title IX coordinator, who met with Leary and his editor about the article's publication, according to The College Fix.

"I just got the impression that he was required to meet with me because of all the complaints he received about the column," Leary told The College Fix, noting that the vice president for student affairs and vice president for mission and identity have both scheduled meetings as well

"My identity is not up for debate," Lillian Perkins, a philosophy student who identifies as non-binary, told Cleveland.com. "This is not a hot-button topic in the first place. My LGBTQ+ peers are not an issue to be addressed in a newspaper ... The fact he even thinks it's up for debate is dehumanizing.".
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:31 pm

I assume these "non-binary" folks don't appreciate the irony of their chosen ideology.

DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:11 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Thanks for the video...I remember posting about the dog park one a while ago.

There is so little critical thought in parts of academia right now it's downright embarrassing. Every journal will be biased towards the popular/faddish in its field...and to some degree that's fine. For example right now in the top business journals if you write about sustainability or conscious capitalism your paper is much more likely to be accepted simply because those are the ideas that society is debating right now. And to me that is perfectly fine. The fad ideas should get a bit more press as we work through them. The issue however is what the video brings up -- its not just the bias towards topics, its the bias TOWARDS A SINGLE POSITION on those topics. There is no real debate. There is no real investigation or exploration. There is no search for truth. There is simply confirmation of what the author's already believe.

And as a vocation...we are letting society down. :oops:

Joe Rogan just had a pod with them where they dove into this further. Highly recommend listening..

DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 am

Thx, I’ll definitely give it a listen
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:15 am

After penning an op-ed for The New York Times decrying the ideological homogeneity of his campus administration, a conservative-leaning professor at Sarah Lawrence College discovered intimidating messages—including demands that he quit his job—on the door of his office. The perpetrators had torn down the door's decorations, which had included pictures of the professor's family.

#resist
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
After penning an op-ed for The New York Times decrying the ideological homogeneity of his campus administration, a conservative-leaning professor at Sarah Lawrence College discovered intimidating messages—including demands that he quit his job—on the door of his office. The perpetrators had torn down the door's decorations, which had included pictures of the professor's family.

#resist

I mean, it's a ridiculous gripe. Not being upset about having pictures of family torn down, that is legitimate, but complaining about the ideological homogeneity of the campus administration. Academics trend liberal and it's been that way for pretty much the entirety of human history. It would be like an athiest professor teaching at TCU getting upset that TCU's administration is too homongenously Christian.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Yes my post isn’t about the liberal ideological dominance in college campuses ...otherwise I would post about that all the time. If colleges go extreme left let them. The market will sort it out

My post is about the ridiculous students that get so offended by what is clearly a factual argument that they destroy the guy’s personal effects, harass him and call for him to be fired ... more from the “words are violence crowd”.

If you don’t like something someone says you have all the right in the world to criticize it, I fully support that right for everyone.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:52 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Yes my post isn’t about the liberal ideological dominance in college campuses ...otherwise I would post about that all the time. If colleges go extreme left let them. The market will sort it out

My post is about the ridiculous students that get so offended by what is clearly a factual argument that they destroy the guy’s personal effects, harass him and call for him to be fired ... more from the “words are violence crowd”.

If you don’t like something someone says you have all the right in the world to criticize it, I fully support that right for everyone.

I was pretty sure your post would have been easily understood. I guess I was wrong.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion