Random Mass Shooting Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby NYBF » Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 am

Ken Carson wrote:
NYBF wrote:
I'm not posting the link because I haven't had the time to check and see if it's legit. But imagine living in a country where people think **** like this is OK.

Who thinks it’s OK? No one here is confronted with a person who decides to express themselves by shooting anyone and says ‘that’s OK.’

Between this thread and the healthcare discussions here, there are plenty who think both the gun laws and healthcare system are fine as is.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 am

This is where NYBF goes all BIBL
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Mon May 21, 2018 8:59 am

NYBF wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Who thinks it’s OK? No one here is confronted with a person who decides to express themselves by shooting anyone and says ‘that’s OK.’

Between this thread and the healthcare discussions here, there are plenty who think both the gun laws and healthcare system are fine as is.

I think you're reaching a bit to emphasize a point. While there are certainly people ("plenty" is subjective) who are "OK" with our current gun laws, there are various data points from polling that more the suggest that MOST people believe gun laws need to stronger and this is especially true around mental health and when it comes to questions around the issue of preventing gun sales/ownership to certain people with documented mental health issues.

The problem is that it's difficult to have an honest discussion about gun laws and that is largely due to the underlying agendas at play. I would support a few different additional 'gun control' measures and have discussed some in this very thread. I think those measures MUST be go hand in hand with measures to improve security at our schools (since that really is the issue where trying to solve for here, right?). But I won't bend when it comes to confiscation b/c that is something I'm fundamentally opposed to.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Mon May 21, 2018 1:00 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I think you're reaching a bit to emphasize a point. While there are certainly people ("plenty" is subjective) who are "OK" with our current gun laws, there are various data points from polling that more the suggest that MOST people believe gun laws need to stronger and this is especially true around mental health and when it comes to questions around the issue of preventing gun sales/ownership to certain people with documented mental health issues.

Putting the mental health / gun discussion aside, I will tell you from real life experience that mental health as a whole takes a backseat to nearly everything here in the US. People just do not care. I don't care what polling says. When someone asks you point blank do you care about mental health issues, it's simple to check off yes and move along. But when it comes time for action, people just do not care. I have yet to find a cause that people won't put ahead of mental health. And that includes family members of those affected.
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Mon May 21, 2018 1:21 pm

problem with mental health is the therapists.

They can call the police or DHS depending on their "feeling" and there is no recourse the person has whatsoever. They can ruin someone's life and you expect people to open up to them???????

beside the fact that is a purely made up "profession"!

I've dated a few and known a few.....have one on either side of my office. they're more F-ed up than 1/2 the people that see them. show me one thats not divorced...
Stuart

Postby bucfanclw » Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 pm

I had no idea Stuart was a Scientologist, but I'm not surprised.
bucfanclw

Postby NYBF » Mon May 21, 2018 2:02 pm

Stuart wrote:problem with mental health is the therapists.

They can call the police or DHS depending on their "feeling" and there is no recourse the person has whatsoever. They can ruin someone's life and you expect people to open up to them???????

I've dated a few and known a few.....have one on either side of my office. they're more F-ed up than 1/2 the people that see them. show me one thats not divorced...

I know I will regret this, but I would love to hear you explain the bolded part.
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm

NYBF wrote:
Stuart wrote:problem with mental health is the therapists.

I know I will regret this, but I would love to hear you explain the bolded part.

believe me, I would love to if the allegation that was made (and cleared quickly) was not so utterly disgusting.......someone with less patience might not have been so kind and/or forgiving.

ever think they might be part of the problem?
Stuart

Postby NYBF » Mon May 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Stuart wrote:
NYBF wrote:

believe me, I would love to if the allegation that was made (and cleared quickly) was not so utterly disgusting.......someone with less patience might not have been so kind and/or forgiving.

So you can't explain how therapists ruin peoples' lives?
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 pm

NYBF wrote:
Stuart wrote:

they can make false accusations, which is their opinion, with no recourse for the accused.........
Stuart

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:06 pm

NYBF wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Have you seen their bills?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Ken Carson » Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 pm

NYBF wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Who thinks it’s OK? No one here is confronted with a person who decides to express themselves by shooting anyone and says ‘that’s OK.’

I don't think anyone would say that they are 'perfect.' Some may say 'fine.'

But what additional gun laws would have prevented a 17-year old from taking a .38 and a shotgun his father legally owned and killing people? Other than guns not being allowed at all...
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon May 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Buc2 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Have you seen their bills?

Free psychotherapy for every American!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Mon May 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Stuart wrote:
NYBF wrote:

they can make false accusations, which is their opinion, with no recourse for the accused.........

Do you know what a therapist is? What part of their job includes making accusations?
NYBF

Postby bucfanclw » Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm

NYBF wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Do you know what a therapist is? What part of their job includes making accusations?

Are you trying to say Stuart is crazy? You're just like the rest of those "therapists".
bucfanclw

Postby Stuart » Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 pm

NYBF wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Stuart

Postby DreadNaught » Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Have you seen their bills?

Damn you!!! :cussingblack:
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Have you seen their bills?

We'll pay for it with the money we save from not having to pay the exterminated Boomers SS.
The Outsider

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon May 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
NYBF wrote:

But what additional gun laws would have prevented a 17-year old from taking a .38 and a shotgun his father legally owned and killing people? Other than guns not being allowed at all...

No law could have prevented that.
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:

Yeah, why should a gun owner be lawfully tasked with making sure his firearms are secure where only he can access them? :roll:
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 am

NYBF wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Yeah, why should a gun owner be lawfully tasked with making sure his firearms are secure where only he can access them? :roll:

Were these guns not secured? Honest question.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 am

NYBF wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

If Texas only had a law like that....

Oh wait, they do...The law allows prosecutors to go after parents who allow their children to gain access to firearms and ammunition. They are one of 27 states with a similar law.
uscbucsfan

Postby bucfanclw » Tue May 22, 2018 8:37 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
NYBF wrote:

If Texas only had a law like that....

Oh wait, they do...The law allows prosecutors to go after parents who allow their children to gain access to firearms and ammunition. They are one of 27 states with a similar law.

This seems like an appropriate case to put those laws into use and make an example of this guy.
bucfanclw

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 am

bucfanclw wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:If Texas only had a law like that....

This seems like an appropriate case to put those laws into use and make an example of this guy.

100% agree.

For whatever reason, I doubt it will be.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 am

bucfanclw wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:If Texas only had a law like that....

Agreed, and I'm not against additional laws/regs that address gun control if the spirit of said new law/regulation is to keep schools safer.

But let's maybe start with enforcing the current ones.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
NYBF wrote:

The kid got them, right?
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 22, 2018 9:43 am

NYBF wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

The kid got them, right?

The father could have given them to the kid.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 am

NYBF wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

The kid got them, right?

Are locked vehicles secured before theft? Locked Homes? Banks? Stores? Are you choosing to be obtuse? Just because something is secure doesn’t mean it’s impossible to take if a person wants it bad enough and is willing to risk getting caught.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
NYBF wrote:
The kid got them, right?

Are locked vehicles secured before theft? Locked Homes? Banks? Stores? Are you choosing to be obtuse? Just because something is secure doesn’t mean it’s impossible to take if a person wants it bad enough and is willing to risk getting caught.

Indeed that’s correct, as a Texas gun owner, I have my guns in a very heavy steel safe (but it can certainly be moved with enough effort). Someone can break into my house and steal that safe and use my guns in a negligent way and I can’t be held liable.

If I keep a loaded weapon sitting on my table and one of my kids friends takes it and shoots it, I am held liable.

The concept seems reasonable to me.
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Tue May 22, 2018 10:52 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
NYBF wrote:
The kid got them, right?

Do you put your car in a safe?

And when's the last time you read about a bank robbery where it involved something other than the teller handing over the money?
NYBF

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion