Random Mass Shooting Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 am

NYBF wrote:Did buc2 confirm of this meets the definition of "mass shooting" yet?

Yes it does. And sarcasm noted.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 10989
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 381 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 am

How about this for a start:

Ban the AR-15. Yes, they're fun as **** to shoot. But, outside of hunting people, what is their practical purpose? Ban them outright, no grandfathering in. One year grace period to turn yours in. If you're caught with it after, it's a felony.

250% tariff on ammunition. All money raised via the tariff goes to fund mental health programs.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 5946
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 489 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:53 am

uhhh

just going to put this here for now, before it gets deleted or scrubbed

Supposedly his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_eTxa ... 64VspF07qg


it's all guns and toddler toy videos

ok here's where it gets REALLY weird:

A playlist of his called "Dope"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prE-Aym ... j4tZy0yZLZ

First video is live action of a soldier shooting taliban... the next is Twinkle Twinkle little star and nursery rhymes...

then you keep scrolling down and it's all these Paw Patrol and kids toys... anyways... kid appears to have been absolutely unhinged... I heard on NPR this morning them talking about his mom had died... who knows...
User avatar
beardmcdoug
 
Posts: 3013
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 362 times
Been thanked: 236 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby acmillis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 am

NYBF wrote:How about this for a start:

Ban the AR-15. Yes, they're fun as **** to shoot. But, outside of hunting people, what is their practical purpose? Ban them outright, no grandfathering in. One year grace period to turn yours in. If you're caught with it after, it's a felony.

250% tariff on ammunition. All money raised via the tariff goes to fund mental health programs.

This is where I'm at. My only devil's advocate moment is...do you pay the gun owners back since you're taking their guns? How much?
acmillis
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:17 am

NYBF wrote:How about this for a start:

Ban the AR-15. Yes, they're fun as **** to shoot. But, outside of hunting people, what is their practical purpose? Ban them outright, no grandfathering in. One year grace period to turn yours in. If you're caught with it after, it's a felony.

250% tariff on ammunition. All money raised via the tariff goes to fund mental health programs.


Just playing devils advocate:

Wouldn't it make more sense to want to ban pistols as they are used in a ridiculously large majority of "mass shootings"?

AR15s get a lot of attention and have a higher ammo capacity, but their purpose is, as you said, to kill people. That's their practical purpose which is more in line with 2A than self-defense as far as militia purposes. People don't trust the government and don't trust society to hold together in the event of a serious apocalyptic event such as a massive EMP.

What do you think the adoption rate of people actually turning them in is? 10%-20%? I can't think it would be more than that. I think that's proven how AR15 sales shoot through the roof anytime and incident happens and rumors start about banning them.

250% on ammo would result in more people reloading their own and/or black market creation, but I'm curious to where this mental health money would go and how you think it would be effective.

These aren't all my opinions, again playing devils argument, but this proposal does nothing to solve the issue and why nothing has been done. This isn't an indictment to your ideas or position, necessarily, it's both sides. As this wouldn't have prevented it, gun supporters are willing to make such a sacrifice. They would say the issue here isn't the weapons, it's beyond that. Banning them will do very little quell this issue and then what? That's where each side meets a roadblock, expanded background checks, wait periods, etc. will do little to nothing to resolve this. Banning a weapon may have stopped this incident, it may not have, but it's mostly a ban on the honest citizen and not the crazy and/or criminal type.

Mass shootings in a most likely universally acceptable definition has increased in frequency sharply since 2007. We talked about this in another thread, that's the time of the social media explosion. What can be done to stop this without censoring or filtering speech?

Again, I'm not attacking your premise, just asking questions and presenting a counter.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 am

Also, presenting "taking guns" is normally an instant nuke to any sort of proposal. Maybe a stepping stone would be to re-enact the assault weapons ban
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am

uscbucsfan wrote:I think that's proven how AR15 sales shoot through the roof anytime and incident happens and rumors start about banning them.



It's funny that you mention this. There was a story a couple days ago that I didn't see posted anywhere on the board. Remington is declaring bankruptcy. It seems that now that no one is scared that Obama / possibly Hillary are coming to take their guns, no one is buying them anymore.

As far as the pistol / AR15 debate - you may be right as to which one is used more. Early stories are that this school shooting used one. And if memory serves correctly, they were also used in Vegas and Orlando.

The tariff money - I'll come back to that a little later with a more detailed post.
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 5946
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 489 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:52 am

NYBF wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I think that's proven how AR15 sales shoot through the roof anytime and incident happens and rumors start about banning them.



It's funny that you mention this. There was a story a couple days ago that I didn't see posted anywhere on the board. Remington is declaring bankruptcy. It seems that now that no one is scared that Obama / possibly Hillary are coming to take their guns, no one is buying them anymore.

As far as the pistol / AR15 debate - you may be right as to which one is used more. Early stories are that this school shooting used one. And if memory serves correctly, they were also used in Vegas and Orlando.

The tariff money - I'll come back to that a little later with a more detailed post.

I look forward to it. I hope more join in as well.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:09 am

I wouldn’t be a big fan of additional taxes on ammunition.

I agree that we don’t take mental health seriously enough in this country and provided the applications of it were good I could support extra funding of it. But because it’s a general issue in society, the funding should come from general sources not specifically targeted to a small group.


Pragmatically speaking i seriously doubt it would prevent murderers from buying ammunition. If you are going to go out and kill lots of people I really doubt you will care if you have to pay more for ammunition as it’s gking to be your last hurrah anyway



Sticking with the mental health thing, I would certainly be willing to listen if there are better ways to do background checks and screening for issues
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 5968
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby HamBone » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am

The FBI was warned in September about a possible school shooting threat from a YouTube user with the same name as the suspect in Wednesday's campus massacre in Parkland, Florida, according to a video blogger.

Ben Bennight, the 36-year-old YouTube video blogger from Mississippi, noticed in September an alarming comment on a video he'd posted. He told CNN he immediately contacted the FBI.

"Im going to be a professional school shooter," read the comment, left by a user with the name Nikolas Cruz, the same name of the suspected shooter who opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday, killing at least 17 people.
User avatar
HamBone
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby The Outsider » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:20 am

Ban AR-15s all you want, but that isn't going to stop mass shootings.

Also, for those of you saying high capacity semi-automatic rifles (because that's what we're really talking about here) have no other purpose outside of killing people, you've obviously never had a feral hog problem.

The only thing that will mitigate the excessive violence in this country is completely overhauling our mental health and criminal justice systems. Our standards for weapon ownership as well. But that's a hell of a lot more complicated than banning a gun.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 am

The Outsider wrote:The only thing that will mitigate the excessive violence in this country is completely overhauling our mental health and criminal justice systems. Our standards for weapon ownership as well. But that's a hell of a lot more complicated than banning a gun.


I agree, but the conversation needs to be had. People hide behind quick fixes that will get shot down, then nothing happens.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby acmillis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am

The Outsider wrote:Ban AR-15s all you want, but that isn't going to stop mass shootings.

Also, for those of you saying high capacity semi-automatic rifles (because that's what we're really talking about here) have no other purpose outside of killing people, you've obviously never had a feral hog problem.

The only thing that will mitigate the excessive violence in this country is completely overhauling our mental health and criminal justice systems. Our standards for weapon ownership as well. But that's a hell of a lot more complicated than banning a gun.

Care to elaborate? As OP said, paying 2-3x for ammo wouldn't be a deterrent because it will be the killer's last hurrah. I'd say the same thing about changing the criminal justice system as well.

Serious question, what would changing the criminal justice system achieve in this specific scenario (mass spree killings)?
acmillis
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 am

I tried suggesting mandatory national standards for training (skills + safety) before obtaining a permit to purchase a gun but was told that was just a solution looking for a problem. Is that still off the table for discussion?
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 3765
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:31 am

acmillis wrote:Care to elaborate? As OP said, paying 2-3x for ammo wouldn't be a deterrent because it will be the killer's last hurrah. I'd say the same thing about changing the criminal justice system as well.

Serious question, what would changing the criminal justice system achieve in this specific scenario (mass spree killings)?




I would certainly be open to having discussion of the criminal justice system as it pertains to illegal gun ownership (though I think Outsider was probably thinking of something else). While that discussion might not apply to school shootings, we do know that school shootings are just a sliver in total gun deaths.

As a nation we have decided on fairly open gun access....with that freedom (like all freedoms) comes responsibility. I will be honest, I have never researched what I'm going to write about so I don't know the current penalties, but I would love for a discussion to happen on it. Because of the liberal freedoms we have in terms of purchasing guns, I think we have to crack down hard on any person who owns illegal weapons, regardless of whether those weapons were utilized in a crime.


Again, I have no idea what the penalty is for possessing an illegal firearm (and here I'm not just talking about modded rifles, but any handgun too)...but it seems that is something we could be talking about.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 5968
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby acmillis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:44 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
acmillis wrote:Care to elaborate? As OP said, paying 2-3x for ammo wouldn't be a deterrent because it will be the killer's last hurrah. I'd say the same thing about changing the criminal justice system as well.

Serious question, what would changing the criminal justice system achieve in this specific scenario (mass spree killings)?




I would certainly be open to having discussion of the criminal justice system as it pertains to illegal gun ownership (though I think Outsider was probably thinking of something else). While that discussion might not apply to school shootings, we do know that school shootings are just a sliver in total gun deaths.

As a nation we have decided on fairly open gun access....with that freedom (like all freedoms) comes responsibility. I will be honest, I have never researched what I'm going to write about so I don't know the current penalties, but I would love for a discussion to happen on it. Because of the liberal freedoms we have in terms of purchasing guns, I think we have to crack down hard on any person who owns illegal weapons, regardless of whether those weapons were utilized in a crime.


Again, I have no idea what the penalty is for possessing an illegal firearm (and here I'm not just talking about modded rifles, but any handgun too)...but it seems that is something we could be talking about.

I take the bolded part to mean possession of a firearm without a license, not possession of a modified firearm. If so:
Carrying a concealed firearm, without a license, is a third degree felony in Florida, punishable by up to 5 years in prison, up to 5 years of probation, and up to $5,000 in fines.

It's the "up to" part that I think you and I would agree needs to read "minimum"? I know there are stiffer penalties for a felon in possession, but without doing any research, I doubt that most of these school shooters have felony charges on their criminal records.
acmillis
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am

acmillis wrote:I take the bolded part to mean possession of a firearm without a license, not possession of a modified firearm. If so:
Carrying a concealed firearm, without a license, is a third degree felony in Florida, punishable by up to 5 years in prison, up to 5 years of probation, and up to $5,000 in fines.

It's the "up to" part that I think you and I would agree needs to read "minimum"? I know there are stiffer penalties for a felon in possession, but without doing any research, I doubt that most of these school shooters have felony charges on their criminal records.



Yes, I should have been more precise, thank you for catching it.

I should have clarified we can talk both about:

1.) the actual letter of the law written on the books
2.) the actual sentencing/application of that law -- I'd love to see statistics on the penalties people actually receive.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 5968
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am

Here is a good short article that

1.) gives some background statistics on school shootings....while this year is high, they didn't seem to appear to be on the rise in terms of #s of them over the past 40 years....they do appear to be more deadly though

2.) shows overall gun violence is falling

3.) shows the empirical evidence for different solutions we attempted -- and sadly it shows that none of them had much impact


Anyway, I learned something from it (assuming the #'s are accurate)

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/14/yes-t ... k-about-gu
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 5968
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:54 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Here is a good short article that

1.) gives some background statistics on school shootings....while this year is high, they didn't seem to appear to be on the rise in terms of #s of them over the past 40 years....they do appear to be more deadly though

2.) shows overall gun violence is falling

3.) shows the empirical evidence for different solutions we attempted -- and sadly it shows that none of them had much impact


Anyway, I learned something from it (assuming the #'s are accurate)

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/14/yes-t ... k-about-gu


They are skewed numbers, but all of them are.

Mass shootings have spiked in frequency since between 2003-2007 (depending on your definition) and since this point actual shootings and attempts have become more frequent. I don't have these numbers off hand, but I was looking at the FBI numbers and self eliminating things that would skew them. They've always taken place, but they are happening on a more consistent basis and they are getting more deadly as that article states.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:00 pm

If you have different numbers I'd curious to see them. As you say, if 50 people put together graphs on the #'s, we would probably see 50 different graphs.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 5968
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:If you have different numbers I'd curious to see them. As you say, if 50 people put together graphs on the #'s, we would probably see 50 different graphs.


When I get home tonight, I'll try to look at them again. I originally looked at the two articles below just to get a reference, then decided to look at the FBI stats myself of all gun violence and filter out the family/office murder suicides. While those are still bad, they aren't really relevant to these public shootings which mostly garner fame.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... n-america/

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... full-data/

edit: and before someone bashes motherjones, it's a pretty detailed list...look at it first.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:12 pm

I understand the AR-15 is the most popular firearm in it's class and has somehow become the preferred firearm of these shooters. However there are multiple firearms that are similar in functionality so banning this specific weapon type would just create a vacuum and a different type of firearm would take it's place and be used by these people who carry out these shootings. So I don't believe it addresses the issue, which is preventing (or atleast greatly reducing the occurrence) of mass shootings.

There are many laws already on the books that were broken in order for these shootings to occur. My point is criminals don't obey the law so I hope people have that in mind when discussion adding more laws with the intended goal preventing mass shootings.

There are some common threads around mental health with these mass shootings and in this case the warning signs were there and even the FBI had been notified. Yet a person with mental health issues was still able to obtain a firearm and willfully break existing laws to carry out this act. So imo gun control discussion should be focused on what new laws make sense to prevent these people from obtaining firearms, and if they own them what can be done to force them to turn them in without getting into a minority report scenario.

The targets themselves are a common thread. They are soft targets that need to be hardened as a deterrence which is why mass shooters use them to carry out these acts of violence.

Another issue that has been raised already that I agree with is the notoriety these shooters receive. It's a slippery slope b/c withholding information is counter to what many of us value. But if nobody knew the names/faces of these shooters I strongly believe it would aid in mitigating the copycat/inspiration factor in not giving these shooters the fame they seek.

In the end I don't have the answers, but I do think the solution will have to be comprehensive in addressing multiple factors that lead to these occurrences. People like to shout 'GUN CONTROL' as if banning things and more laws is an easy fix to a complex problem in society when these shooters have repeatedly shown a willingness to break multiple laws that already exist.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 12725
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby The Outsider » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 pm

acmillis wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Ban AR-15s all you want, but that isn't going to stop mass shootings.

Also, for those of you saying high capacity semi-automatic rifles (because that's what we're really talking about here) have no other purpose outside of killing people, you've obviously never had a feral hog problem.

The only thing that will mitigate the excessive violence in this country is completely overhauling our mental health and criminal justice systems. Our standards for weapon ownership as well. But that's a hell of a lot more complicated than banning a gun.

Care to elaborate? As OP said, paying 2-3x for ammo wouldn't be a deterrent because it will be the killer's last hurrah. I'd say the same thing about changing the criminal justice system as well.

Serious question, what would changing the criminal justice system achieve in this specific scenario (mass spree killings)?



Are we talking about mass shootings or gun homicides? Because mass shootings are such an insignificant issue in terms of percentages that they're hardly worth prioritizing.

But to answer your question, the criminal justice system makes offenders, who spend a significant amount of time incarcerated, more violent and more likely to commit crimes in the future. Our justice system should be based on rehabilitation instead of punishment. The way we treat ex-convicts in this country also needs to change. People need to have a reason to rejoin society and then keep their freedom. If you treat them like **** they're going to end up back in prison.

All of this contributes to the stupid amount of gun violence in the US.

Edit: The core of my point here is that mass shootings are symptoms of a deeper problem. Treating symptoms is pointless.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby acmillis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 pm

The Outsider wrote:
acmillis wrote:Care to elaborate? As OP said, paying 2-3x for ammo wouldn't be a deterrent because it will be the killer's last hurrah. I'd say the same thing about changing the criminal justice system as well.

Serious question, what would changing the criminal justice system achieve in this specific scenario (mass spree killings)?



Are we talking about mass shootings or gun homicides? Because mass shootings are such an insignificant issue in terms of percentages that they're hardly worth prioritizing.

But to answer your question, the criminal justice system makes offenders, who spend a significant amount of time incarcerated, more violent and more likely to commit crimes in the future. Our justice system should be based on rehabilitation instead of punishment. The way we treat ex-convicts in this country also needs to change. People need to have a reason to rejoin society and then keep their freedom. If you treat them like **** they're going to end up back in prison.

All of this contributes to the stupid amount of gun violence in the US.

Edit: The core of my point here is that mass shootings are symptoms of a deeper problem. Treating symptoms is pointless.

While I agree with your sentiments about recidivism, I was speaking solely about mass shootings like we've seen recently at schools, Vegas, etc. I do not see how revamping the "system" will change the frequency with which these mass shootings occur.
acmillis
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm

The Outsider wrote:
acmillis wrote:Care to elaborate? As OP said, paying 2-3x for ammo wouldn't be a deterrent because it will be the killer's last hurrah. I'd say the same thing about changing the criminal justice system as well.

Serious question, what would changing the criminal justice system achieve in this specific scenario (mass spree killings)?



Are we talking about mass shootings or gun homicides? Because mass shootings are such an insignificant issue in terms of percentages that they're hardly worth prioritizing.

But to answer your question, the criminal justice system makes offenders, who spend a significant amount of time incarcerated, more violent and more likely to commit crimes in the future. Our justice system should be based on rehabilitation instead of punishment. The way we treat ex-convicts in this country also needs to change. People need to have a reason to rejoin society and then keep their freedom. If you treat them like **** they're going to end up back in prison.

All of this contributes to the stupid amount of gun violence in the US.

Edit: The core of my point here is that mass shootings are symptoms of a deeper problem. Treating symptoms is pointless.


How many of these mass shooters served time in prison prior to carrying out the mass shooting?

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point about criminal justice reform fwiw, but that is probably more of discussion for another time and was just curious how it applies to the current discussion is all.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 12725
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:38 pm

I think we can do a better job flagging the symptoms. For example this guy had made YT vids and comments about school shootings. Not to be an authoritarian, but if you're stupid enough to promote your desire to commit mass murder on the internet or in public like this guy did, than I'm ok with your name being on a list that would disqualify you from purchasing/owning a firearm.

I think some gun control measures make a lot of sense. But I'm cognizant of protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens that otherwise have no red flags or behavioral symptoms.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 12725
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 548 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:41 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I understand the AR-15 is the most popular firearm in it's class and has somehow become the preferred firearm of these shooters. However there are multiple firearms that are similar in functionality so banning this specific weapon type would just create a vacuum and a different type of firearm would take it's place and be used by these people who carry out these shootings. So I don't believe it addresses the issue, which is preventing (or atleast greatly reducing the occurrence) of mass shootings.

There are many laws already on the books that were broken in order for these shootings to occur. My point is criminals don't obey the law so I hope people have that in mind when discussion adding more laws with the intended goal preventing mass shootings.

There are some common threads around mental health with these mass shootings and in this case the warning signs were there and even the FBI had been notified. Yet a person with mental health issues was still able to obtain a firearm and willfully break existing laws to carry out this act. So imo gun control discussion should be focused on what new laws make sense to prevent these people from obtaining firearms, and if they own them what can be done to force them to turn them in without getting into a minority report scenario.

The targets themselves are a common thread. They are soft targets that need to be hardened as a deterrence which is why mass shooters use them to carry out these acts of violence.

Another issue that has been raised already that I agree with is the notoriety these shooters receive. It's a slippery slope b/c withholding information is counter to what many of us value. But if nobody knew the names/faces of these shooters I strongly believe it would aid in mitigating the copycat/inspiration factor in not giving these shooters the fame they seek.

In the end I don't have the answers, but I do think the solution will have to be comprehensive in addressing multiple factors that lead to these occurrences. People like to shout 'GUN CONTROL' as if banning things and more laws is an easy fix to a complex problem in society when these shooters have repeatedly shown a willingness to break multiple laws that already exist.

A lot of the laws you speak of are after the fact laws that do nothing to stop the perpetrator from gaining access to a gun and using it to commit murder. Without becoming more barbaric in doling out justice like in centuries past, I honestly don't know what could be done from a justice standpoint to deter gun murders. But this isn't just about gun murders. It's about mass murders using a gun. I doubt barbaric justice would do anything to curb the mass shootings problem since, it seems, most of these shooters have deep seeded mental issues to which no amount of threatened justice is going to stop their rampages.

Other than coming up with better methods for identifying kids with potentially violent mental health issues and effectively addressing those issues, I can't think of much of anything that will stop these incidents from happening.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 10989
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 381 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I think we can do a better job flagging the symptoms. For example this guy had made YT vids and comments about school shootings. Not to be an authoritarian, but if you're stupid enough to promote your desire to commit mass murder on the internet or in public like this guy did, than I'm ok with your name being on a list that would disqualify you from purchasing/owning a firearm.

I think some gun control measures make a lot of sense. But I'm cognizant of protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens that otherwise have no red flags or behavioral symptoms.

Did this kid purchase the weapon he used himself? I don't recall reading that. We know the Sandy Hook kid didn't. Neither did the Colombine kids.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 10989
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 919 times
Been thanked: 381 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:45 pm

There are so many things that go into making someone into the type of person who would unload a semi-automatic weapon into a group of people that trying to solve the issue at step 300 of the process (procuring a weapon) is a complete waste of time. I don’t own a gun and never will, but if we focus on guns, we’ve totally missed the mark. These people are damaged and will find a way to get a weapon, build a bomb or choke out someone with their bare hands.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 3182
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey guys,

I am really sorry about what happened in your country and I pray for the strength of the families hurt by this.

Someone mentioned that TODAY'S youth (I refer to them as millenials) are copy cats. Unfortunately, this is true. Due to my country's proximity to America (and social media); Bahamian youths are imitators of allot of you guys behavior (mostly the bad ones). I PRAY that I am wrong but it would not surprise me if some young person tries this crap here in the Bahamas.

Here are some suggestions I have for this problem:

1) Make the age a person can apply for a fire arm 25 years old. I say this because it appears as if societies are maturing slower than they did in the past.

2) Make it mandatory that anyone who want to purchase a gun MUST have psych evaluation and pass with flying colors. If you do not pass, you do not get a fire arm.

3) ANYONE that has a gun must do said psych evaluation every 5 years. If you fail this evaluation, the evaluating doctor informs the appropriate agency(s) and thus all the fire arms owned by this person are confiscated.

I am a strong believer in one being able to arm their self (I've be a license firearm owner for about 10 years) but only to suitable persons.
In the Bahamas, December is the month, every fire arm that you own must be taken to the fire arm section of the police station for inspection. Also, your license has to be re stamped. If for ANY reason the government deem you not fit (criminal, health, etc), your license will not be stamped and your gun must be turned in.

Anyway, I feel like my 3 suggestions can help with the shooting issues in America. It won't stop it 100%, but it should make a dent. WHat do you guys think?
Image
User avatar
bahamian:bucfan
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Freeport, Grand Bahama; Bahamas
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ken Carson and 12 guests