Random Mass Shooting Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Mass Shooting Thread

Postby RedLeader » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:22 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Fwiw it hasn't been confirmed the RO killed the suspect as suicide could be an option. We know it was a gunshot wound to the head.

We know the rapid response of RO saved lives.

I would hope the RO will be fine and even he did kill the suspect he should take solace in how many lives he saved by doing so. He did his job. He's a hero in my book.

That’s a true hero. You can’t really ask for a much “better” outcome to a school shooting. The RO probably saved 10-15 lives (depending on the amount of ammunition) by doing his job. He is an American hero.

Amen, brother..
RedLeader

Postby NYBF » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:11 am

I suppose this story will give some of you even more reason to hate the Pats.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/0 ... story.html
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:35 am

NYBF wrote:I suppose this story will give some of you even more reason to hate the Pats.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/0 ... story.html

Why? Seems like a very decent gesture.
DreadNaught

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:35 am

I really do understand why all the protests are focusing on gun control and nothing else but if they really want to impact school shootings they have to address the mental health aspect of it. Not gonna happen cause it's not nearly the hot button, get everyone to tune in, topic that gun control is but it is a major aspect of it.

When is the last time you heard of a normal, well-adjusted person just shooting a place up?? You don't because it doesn't happen. Why do we all of a sudden have nuts with guns roaming around (exaggeration, I know)?? We used to have places that people with mental health problems used to go that were closed down back in the 80's.
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:16 am

Lets live how we want to live and not think about the seeds of destruction created from it.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:43 am

mdb1958 wrote:Lets live how we want to live and not think about the seeds of destruction created from it.

Conservative economics in a nutshell.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:52 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Lets live how we want to live and not think about the seeds of destruction created from it.

*Polite applause
Ken Carson

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:21 am

Selmon Rules wrote:I really do understand why all the protests are focusing on gun control and nothing else but if they really want to impact school shootings they have to address the mental health aspect of it. Not gonna happen cause it's not nearly the hot button, get everyone to tune in, topic that gun control is but it is a major aspect of it.

When is the last time you heard of a normal, well-adjusted person just shooting a place up?? You don't because it doesn't happen. Why do we all of a sudden have nuts with guns roaming around (exaggeration, I know)?? We used to have places that people with mental health problems used to go that were closed down back in the 80's.

The Parkland shooter was recommended to be institutionalized and wasn't because of some protections recent changes to the law provided him.

The Parkland incident has everyone talking and marching. While discussion is great for Democratic society their is a powerful contingent politicizing these dead kids to ensure the focus is on blaming firearms. But the fact is there were NUMEROUS failures that allowed this to happen and most have zero to do with firearms.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:08 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

I was thinking mankind.
mdb1958

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:22 pm

I liked him better as Dude Love.
Rocker

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:01 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Regarding Nationalism I am just going to quote part of a post I made to you earlier in this thread. I would like to hear your thoughts when you have the time.

I get what you're trying to say about nationalism vs patriotism, but I think it's going to be a relative waste of time splitting these hairs over a message board, the definitions are nuanced and where the line is drawn between the two is entirely up to one's own interpretation. you may want to color your view of the definition of nationalism with a coat of extreme fervor or blind following, just as much as I would want to color "patriotism" as the false sense of temporary "go team" post 9/11 fat guy in his american flag button up riding a rascal with an american flag eating a cheeseburger - who doesn't have any actual attachment to his country besides basic-level group-think and false superiority.

Let's get this out of the way:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/patriotism-vs-nationalism
Merriam Webster draws the line here:

There are still obvious areas of overlap: we define patriotism as “love for or devotion to one’s country” and nationalism in part as “loyalty and devotion to a nation.” But the definition of nationalism also includes “exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups.” This exclusionary aspect is not shared by patriotism.

which is exactly what I am advocating, and what I believe is the only results-yielding way out of this quagmire. Through healthy competition. By saying "we are better than other cultures" and striving to prove that every day. Patriotism is a fleeting ideal. An ideal that dissipates when the other political party wins. Ideals - true ideals - ideals that can shape civilizations do not just *appear*, they are not formed in 1 day by 1 man. They do not just implant into your head. They are formed, and cultivated, and diffuse slowly through the populace, and it is requires constant upkeep to maintain the ones worth pursuing - otherwise, ideals revolving around pursuits of pleasure or comfort easily move in. This is why the distinction of nationalism over patriotism is important. Because nationalism has more momentum and staying power - it is built on a historical foundation - it is built on competition and achievement - and reverence for what is good in your culture.

And if a nationalist culture based on degeneracy or corruption or injustice, then it deserves to be met by the better culture of another nation and be destroyed - history will tell, just like it always has for countless civilizations that have come and gone. And fortunately, we are the most well-equipped we've ever been, in human history, to eliminate ignorance of subject matters (due to the exponential advances in science and technology over the past 200 years) as the reason for degeneracy; we are fully equipped to shape our culture, our identity, and our future based on a logical, measured approach, instead of just slogging from one year to the next, stumbling into biological pitfalls, and normalizing degeneracy in our society by excusing extreme behavior as socially "progressive"

your definition of a nationalist is somebody who is so blinded by love of their nation that they are unable to critique it's faults, but in my opinion, that couldn't be further from the truth, since because nationalism is fundamentally built on the concept of you viewing your culture or nation as superior to others'. How did your nation/culture get to that point where the feeling of superiority was even justifiable? By eliminating the bad and promoting the good. By being highly critical of what plagues your society and excising the cancerous aspects. Even one of the first uses of the word alludes to this:

Merriam Webster tries to find the earliest use of "nationalism" and quotes the following:
"Nationalism must involve the consecrated devotion of a responsive citizenship, sound policies must have universal faith and unsound vagaries must have universal condemnation."
—The Marion County News (Hamilton, AL), 1 Jan. 1820

I think nationalism, and the view that one's nation or (aspired) culture is better than others is a good thing. It promotes a healthy sense of identity, competition, and focus. I don't hate Pakistani nationalists for being Pakistani nationalists - good for them! I don't agree with their standard of living and don't subscribe to their dominant religious/cultural attitudes, but I certainly don't blame them for thinking they're the best, just like Japanese nationalists or Polish nationalists. As long as they don't try to wipe us off the face of the map, then who cares if they think they're better than us? If they DO try to wipe us off the map, then they're an aggressor and our superior nation should eliminate them. But there's no reason we can't co-habitate this planet side by side, them with their culture, and us with ours.

re: 5), aren't you sick of fake ass puritans then?

PM, you never commented on my response - curious to hear what you have to say :drinkingbeer:
beardmcdoug

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am

This Parkland teacher left his gun in a public bathroom. It was loaded, BSO says.
BY MADELEINE MARR

April 11, 2018 10:25 PM

Updated 3 hours 31 minutes ago

Not the most normal sight: a gun left in the bathroom stall.

But that's exactly what went down on Sunday in a men's room at the Deerfield Beach Pier.

The circumstances of how the Glock 9mm got there are unusual.

According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, the weapon was left by Sean Simpson. If his name sounds familiar, he's the teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas who said he'd be willing to arm himself while on duty.

According to the sheriff's office report, Simpson told deputies he'd left his gun by accident. By the time the chemistry teacher realized his mistake, the Glock was already in the hands of a drunk homeless man who had picked it up and fired. The bullet hit a wall.

Simpson was able to grab the gun away from the vagrant, Joseph Spataro, who was charged with firing a weapon while intoxicated and trespassing.

As for the MSD teacher, he was arrested and charged with failing to safely store a firearm, a second-degree misdemeanor. Simpson posted a $250 cash bond and was released.

Local 10 reached out to the educator who would not comment but did say carrying a weapon around did not violate school board rules. He continues to be employed and no disciplinary action is expected to be taken, added the station.

Oops
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:59 am

bucfanclw wrote:
This Parkland teacher left his gun in a public bathroom. It was loaded, BSO says.
BY MADELEINE MARR

But that's exactly what went down on Sunday in a men's room at the Deerfield Beach Pier.

According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, the weapon was left by Sean Simpson. If his name sounds familiar, he's the teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas who said he'd be willing to arm himself while on duty.

According to the sheriff's office report, Simpson told deputies he'd left his gun by accident. By the time the chemistry teacher realized his mistake, the Glock was already in the hands of a drunk homeless man who had picked it up and fired. The bullet hit a wall.

Simpson was able to grab the gun away from the vagrant, Joseph Spataro, who was charged with firing a weapon while intoxicated and trespassing.

As for the MSD teacher, he was arrested and charged with failing to safely store a firearm, a second-degree misdemeanor. Simpson posted a $250 cash bond and was released.

Local 10 reached out to the educator who would not comment but did say carrying a weapon around did not violate school board rules. He continues to be employed and no disciplinary action is expected to be taken, added the station.

Oops

Arm more teachers!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby RedLeader » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:52 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
BY MADELEINE MARR

Oops

Well the obvious answer here is to ban bathroom stalls.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:25 pm

RedLeader wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:
Oops

Reminds me of exotic Fort Pickett.

You ain't never **** till you **** Old Army style.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

Reminds me of exotic Fort Pickett.

You ain't never **** till you **** Old Army style.

You joke but my ****ing high school, Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, VA, had bathrooms like that in my barracks. So I suppose I have indeed **** Old Army style despite never actually being Army.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm

An army that shits together...er... never mind.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Buc2 wrote:You forgot video games.

I also left masturbation and crochet.

Looks like I'm going to prison for a long, loooooong time.

Sonofabitch!
Alpha

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion