When did America stop being great?

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: When did America stop being great?

Postby NYBF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 pm

mightyleemoon wrote: York was super great. Not sure why we needed a new one.

*ahem*
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:02 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:we better get some different motherfucking opinions from some different motherfuckers in this thread. where you at caradoc, clw, nybf, ken, bibl, bootz, delt, threadkiller

Here:

Ken- Possibly one of the few liberals who think America is great.
Bibl- America fell apart with Trump, we are close to a Holocaust....run.
Clw- Another America was never great
Delt- Hard to say. He could cite something specific as far as corporations running America or say America never was great. Maybe even point to 9/11 as the turning point or W. being the one to ruin it all.
Threadkiller- America is still great.
Bootz- Won't respond to casuals.
Caradoc- Haven't seen enough political post to say.
NYBF- State a specific...I'd guess the 70s with others.

How'd I do?

Jesus... how old do you think I am?

I think America is great. If I didn't, I'd go find somewhere else. Could some things be better? Of course. But that's always the case.
NYBF

Postby Onthebrink » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Outsourcing of factory jobs has hurt the lower middle class badly. Automation in turn will in time eliminate factory jobs altogether. America has more people locked up for non violent drug offenses than all violent crimes combined. There are key moments that are destroying the country. Citizens United, the telecommunications act of 1996, Thanks Bill. The war on drugs. This topic will be different dependent on if you are religious or not. Ike warned the US of the MIC nobody listened. The US is only number 1 at one thing. It's not happiness, healthcare, education, internet, or even being the most corrupt. It's military spending. That is the only thing we are number 1 at except for obesity. It's still a great country that needs to keep improving everyday.
Onthebrink

Postby sanka » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 pm

America stop being great when these new millennium came around. It's music, movies got stale like blue cheese. I use to enjoy 80s and 90s music .. I still do...but nowadays what **** are these kids singing.

Hip hop and Rhythm & blues lost its soul....you got clowns like the Ball family trying to rap lol ....Tv shows stop being great ...we have the Kardashians making millions for showing what no talents look like.

Pop music is ok but really lol....

The NFL and NBA being so soft nowadays....flopping and ejecting players for small things.... Baseball missed the steroids era ...Sammy and Mark ....Barry Bonds being walked with the bases loaded.
I miss NBA on NBC ......that theme song still evokes memory of Horry hitting that 3 pointer to win the game against the Sacramento Kings.
sanka

Postby RedLeader » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 am

America stopped being 'great' the day the music died...

And then they started singing....

Bye-bye, miss american pie...

Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry...

And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin', "this'll be the day that I die!"

"This'll be the day that I die!"
RedLeader

Postby NYBF » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:50 pm

After slavery, according to the kid touching senate candidate from Alabama. At least that's what he told a black guy who asked him when's the last time America was great. Now any back country hicks whose support may have wavered because he was banned from a mall is back in full force with that remark.
NYBF

Postby Cheb » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Sometime between the end of WW2 and 9/11.
Cheb

Postby Kress » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 am

Everything is perception. Show a starving kid in Nairobi that I'm bitching about the fact that the alley behind my house isn't paved so that cars driving down it kick up dirt and thus force me to take my ****ing Jaguar, that I had shipped to me from England because I didn't like the ones on the lot, through the wash AGAIN. (My wife actually just called the City about this.). Because God forbid the thing gets dirty. Much less her 5.0 litre V8 K900. Can't touch that thing.

We as a country are entitled bitches.

That's where we lost it. We went from "I'll earn it" to "I deserve it." Why? Because of where you were born? Because that's where your parents decided to procreate?

We are entitled bitches. I'm pretty sure that happened in the 40's.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:44 am

November 2nd, 1886.
Alpha

Postby Wesmon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Probably the Buckley v. Valeo decision in 1976. There had always been corruption in government, but equating money to speech opened the floodgates and has made it impossible to stop the takeover of government by corporations and Wall Street.
Wesmon

Postby The Outsider » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 pm

The United States of America is by definition a very complex entity. It is one of the largest federations in human history, I'm not going to look it up, because I'm lazy, but it's top 3.

However, there is a very obvious point in which the balance between the people and the government shifted a little too much towards our government. Circa 1946. The world was recovering from the Second Great War; one of our most venerable leaders tried to warn us,
"Beware the Military Industrial Complex!" Old Eisenhower cried. But it was too late for the Complex was not only Militaristic but Economic in nature.

Man, I'm ****ing high.
The Outsider

Postby Alpha » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 am

The Outsider wrote:Man, I'm ****ing high.

Holy ****!

You MUST be ****ing high...
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 am

Alpha wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Man, I'm ****ing high.

Holy ****!

You MUST be ****ing high...

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 am

The Outsider wrote:The United States of America is by definition a very complex entity. It is one of the largest federations in human history, I'm not going to look it up, because I'm lazy, but it's top 3.

However, there is a very obvious point in which the balance between the people and the government shifted a little too much towards our government. Circa 1946. The world was recovering from the Second Great War; one of our most venerable leaders tried to warn us,
"Beware the Military Industrial Complex!" Old Eisenhower cried. But it was too late for the Complex was not only Militaristic but Economic in nature.

Man, I'm ****ing high.

High or not, Excellent post!
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:48 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
The Outsider wrote:The United States of America is by definition a very complex entity. It is one of the largest federations in human history, I'm not going to look it up, because I'm lazy, but it's top 3.

Man, I'm ****ing high.

High or not, Excellent post!

Agreed
beardmcdoug

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion