Why not? Aliens thread.

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Why not? Aliens thread.

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 am

Rocker wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:Maybe this is covered somewhere. But, one thing I don't understand is...

Why would the government hide it?

I mean, I can try to go along with an alien race trying to be as discrete as possible and only sending one craft and trying their best to not alert us of their presence...that they would have no interest in trying to rescue fallen friends or even bother with a follow up mission. They try that one time and our government was lucky enough to get in front of it before any solid proof went public. Why? Why go to such lengths to try and keep mankind in the dark about an alien species that tried to visit? Maybe at first I get it...they don't want to scare people. But, it's been a long time now. How many people would panic now if they heard "Okay, half a century ago some aliens tried to visit us but they crashed their car in the desert. We haven't heard anything since." What's so scary about that? There's no need to cover it up anymore.

It would be a pretty major blow to a lot of religious folks, I think.

it's a good point. I'm sure mlm is well-aware that the catholic church is by far the largest corporation in the world. would do quit a bit of damage to sales
beardmcdoug

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Rocker wrote:

It would be a pretty major blow to a lot of religious folks, I think.

it's a good point. I'm sure mlm is well-aware that the catholic church is by far the largest corporation in the world. would do quit a bit of damage to sales

They've got their followers believing fossils were put in the ground by satan-worshipping "scientists" to direct people away from the "truth"... you really think evidence of alien visitation would phase them?
bucfanclw

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:17 am

bucfanclw wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

They've got their followers believing fossils were put in the ground by satan-worshipping "scientists" to direct people away from the "truth"... you really think evidence of alien visitation would phase them?

Using extremes to make your point isn't helpful.

For literally BILLIONS of people; they believe that mankind has been uniquely and deliberately created by God. To find out that there's another species of sentient life would rock the foundations their life and sense of self are built upon. That's no small thing.
Rocker

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 am

Rocker wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:They've got their followers believing fossils were put in the ground by satan-worshipping "scientists" to direct people away from the "truth"... you really think evidence of alien visitation would phase them?

For literally BILLIONS of people; they believe that mankind has been uniquely and deliberately created by God. To find out that there's another species of sentient life would rock the foundations their life and sense of self are built upon. That's no small thing.

My point is that the people that would stand to be the most shaken by that revelation have proven many times that they will shun any evidence that is contrary to their beliefs.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 am

Rocker wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:They've got their followers believing fossils were put in the ground by satan-worshipping "scientists" to direct people away from the "truth"... you really think evidence of alien visitation would phase them?

Why? Wouldn't they just believe that their God created the aliens too?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 am

Buc2 wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Why? Wouldn't they just believe that their God created the aliens too?

That's my thought, too. Unless it says somewhere in the bible that god only created humans. Because, otherwise, if there is a god, why wouldn't he be creating more life than just a few billion on this one little planet? If there is a god, you'd think he could multitask.
mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Why? Wouldn't they just believe that their God created the aliens too?

That's my thought, too. Unless it says somewhere in the bible that god only created humans. Because, otherwise, if there is a god, why wouldn't he be creating more life than just a few billion on this one little planet? If there is a god, you'd think he could multitask.

lol I think you underestimate the geocentricity (especially with regards to biological life) of Abrahamic religions
beardmcdoug

Postby The Outsider » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:53 am

I always laugh when I see people use references to the military-industrial complex to dismiss ideas when we've had the likes of Ike Eisenhower, one of the greatest generals we've ever had and a good President after, explicit warned the American People about it. There is definitely such a thing as a military-industrial complex in this country. Whether it's something that runs our very lives is much debatable.

I didn't watch mcdoug's documentary but I saw Zarni's response I felt the urge to comment.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:55 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Why? Wouldn't they just believe that their God created the aliens too?

I'm no Bible expert, but the only thing I can think of is that it says humans were created in god's image. Since no one has seen god or taken a picture of god, to my knowledge anyway, maybe he looks like whatever we want him to look like.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am

The Bible makes no claim as to there NOT being life on other planets.

Indeed, if you interpret alien life as life apart from that on earth...the Bible quite clearly supports that idea...as the Bible and Christ tells us that the soul is life...and the soul lives outside the earthly realm when its physical body passes. Moreover, many of the Angels that people traditional believe in (Gabriel, Michael, Satan even) have always lived outside our earthly sphere

I can't speak for the Torah or the Quran
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 am

If true, perhaps the soul remains on earth but merely travels to another earthly dimension and occupies a corporal body in that dimension.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Corsair » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:48 am

But wait, I thought we float up into the clouds where there is a gate made of pearls and an old white dude talks about the stuff you did in you life. Then the gates open after the old bouncer guy finds your name on the list and you get to enter the city of good people with wings and halos on their head and live happily ever after.

Or maybe it's just darkness for eternity because the neurons stop firing in your brain and you cease to exist?

One of the two, I'm sure.
Corsair

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am

Buc2 wrote:If true, perhaps the soul remains on earth but merely travels to another earthly dimension and occupies a corporal body in that dimension.

Possibly. I have no flipping idea.

I'm not really wanting to find out either...but we all do in the end
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:55 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:If true, perhaps the soul remains on earth but merely travels to another earthly dimension and occupies a corporal body in that dimension.

Possibly. I have no flipping idea.

I'm not really wanting to find out either...but we all do in the end

Not necessarily. I mean, if there is nothing after death (as I believe), then I'll never know there was nothing because...

I'm dead.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 pm

You might not know per se, but you'll certainly have the answer
Zarniwoop

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:You might not know per se, but you'll certainly have the answer

...without the satisfaction of knowing you have the answer.
mightyleemoon

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:38 pm

If the answer is nothing ... I'm quite happy to not know I'm nothing
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:59 pm

I'd be mad that I never knew if I knew there was nothing.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Corsair » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Nobody knows if there’s not nothing after there’s something.

It’s just something we know we can’t know and there’s nothing we can do about it.
Corsair

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 pm

this conversation reminds me of this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Sum-Forty-Afterl ... 8&qid=&sr=

It's short but it's one of my all time favorites. written by a neuroscientist - he imagines 40 different hypotheses of what happens when you die - each idea only a couple pages long each. an incredibly fun and thought provoking read.

Here's one of them:

Metamorphosis
There are three deaths: the first is when the body ceases to function. The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time.

So you wait in this lobby until the third death. There are long tables with coffee, tea, and cookies – you can help yourself. There are people here from all around the world, and you can try to strike up a conversation with whomever you'd like. Just be aware that your conversation may be interrupted at any moment by the Callers, who call out your conversations partner's name to indicate there will never again be another remembrance of him by anyone on the Earth. Your partner slumps out, face like a shattered and re-glued plate, saddened even though he's kindly told by the Callers that he’s off to a better place. No one knows where that better place is, or what it offers, because no one exiting through that door has returned to tell us. Tragically, many people leave just as their loved ones arrive, since the loved ones were the only ones doing the remembering. We all wag our heads at that typical timing.

The whole place looks like an infinite airport waiting area, but the company is terrific. There are many famous people from history books here. If you get bored, you can strike out in any given direction, past aisles and aisles of seats. After many days of walking, you'll start to notice that people look different, and you'll hear the tones of foreign languages. People congregate amongst their own kind, and what one sees is the spontaneous emergence of territories that mirrors the way they were set up on the surface of the planet. With the exception of the oceans, you’re traversing a map of the Earth. Along with no oceans, there are no time zones either. No one sleeps here, even though they mostly wish they could. The place is evenly lit by fluorescent lights.

Not everyone is sad when the Callers shout out their names, when they call as though announcing the next flight departure. On the contrary, some people beg and plead when the Callers enter. They prostrate themselves at the Callers’ feet as the next names are read out. These are generally the folks who have been here a long time, too long, and especially those who are remembered for unfair reasons. For example, take the farmer over there, who drowned in a small river 200 years ago. Now his farm is the site of a small college, and the tour guides each week tell his story. So he’s stuck and he’s miserable. For the more his story is told, the more it drifts. He is utterly alienated from his name; it is no longer identical with him, but continues to bind. The cheerless woman across the way is praised as a saint, even though the roads in her heart were convoluted. The gray haired man at the vending machine was lionized as a warhero, then demonized as a warlord, and finally canonized as a necessary firebrand between two moments in history. He waits with aching heart for his statues to fall. And that is the curse of this room: since we live in the heads of those who remember us, we lose control of our lives and become who they want us to be.

here's one of my favorites I was just able to find:
Descent of Species

In the afterlife, you are treated to a generous opportunity:
you can choose whatever you would like to
be in the next life. Would you like to be a member of
the opposite sex? Born into royalty? A philosopher
with bottomless profundity? A soldier facing triumphant
battles?
But perhaps you've just returned here from a
hard life. Perhaps you were tortured by the enormity
of the decisions and responsibilities that surrounded
you, and now there's only one thing you
yearn for: Simplicity. That's permissible. So for the
next round, you choose to be a horse. You covet
the bliss of that simple life: afternoons of grazing in
grassy fields, the handsome angles of your skeleton
and the prominence of your muscles, the peace of
the slow-flicking tail or the steam rifling through
your nostrils as you lope across snow-blanketed
plains.
You announce your decision. Incantations are
muttered, a wand is waved, and your body begins to
metamorphose into a horse. Your muscles start to
bulge; a mat of strong hair erupts to cover you like
a comfortable blanket in winter. The thickening
and lengthening of your neck immediately feels
normal as it comes about. Your carotid arteries grow
, in diameter, your fingers blend hoofward, your
knees stiffen, your hips strengthen, and meanwhile,
as your skull lengthens into its new shape, your
brain races in its changes: your cortex retreats as
your cerebellum grows, the homonculus melts man
to horse, neurons redirect, synapses unplug and
replug on their way to equestrian patterns, and your
dream of understanding what it is like to be a horse
gallops toward you from the distance, Your concern
about human affairs begins to slip away, your cynicism
about human behavior melts, and even your
buman way of thinking begins to drift away from
you.
Suddenly, for just a moment, you are aware of the
problem you overlooked. The more you become a
horse, the more you forget the original wish. You forget
what it was like to be a human wondering what it
was like to be a horse.
This moment of lucidity does not last long. But it
serves as the punishment for your sins, a Promethean
entrails-pecking moment, crouching half-horse halfman,
with the knowledge that you cannot appreciate
the destination without knOWing the starting point;
you cannot revel in the simplicity unless you remember
the alternatives.
And that's not the worst of your revelation. You
realize that the next time you return here, with
your thick horse brain, you won't have the capacity
to ask to become a human again. You won't
understand what a human is. Your choice to slide
down the intelligence ladder is irreversible. And
just before you lose your final human faculties, you
painfully ponder what magnificent extraterrestrial
creature, enthralled with the idea of finding a
simpler life, chose in the last round to become a
human.
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to remain human. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Buc2 wrote:Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to remain human. :D

:D
beardmcdoug

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:15 pm

I liked where this thread wasn't not going to nowhere nothing.
mightyleemoon

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Best get slick Willie to help us with this one

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-i ... 17190.html
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:17 am

Rocker wrote:It would be a pretty major blow to a lot of religious folks, I think.

Why? Religion can't support life on more than one planet? Maybe God gets bored after a while and wants to play around a bit. There are plenty of planets and galaxies to choose from, or I suppose he could just make another one or two.
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:08 am

Kress wrote:
Rocker wrote:It would be a pretty major blow to a lot of religious folks, I think.

Why? Religion can't support life on more than one planet? Maybe God gets bored after a while and wants to play around a bit. There are plenty of planets and galaxies to choose from, or I suppose he could just make another one or two.

While Rocker is right, I'm with you. Why should it be a major blow to a religious person? I just don't understand I guess.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:16 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Best get slick Willie to help us with this one

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-i ... 17190.html

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 am

Buc2 wrote:
Kress wrote:

While Rocker is right, I'm with you. Why should it be a major blow to a religious person? I just don't understand I guess.

Maybe I should have said fundamentalist Christians; instead of simply religious.
Rocker

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am

Rocker wrote:
Buc2 wrote:While Rocker is right, I'm with you. Why should it be a major blow to a religious person? I just don't understand I guess.

Maybe I should have said fundamentalist Christians; instead of simply religious.

It's true. My wife's family doesn't believe in dinosaurs or aliens. I think they would some how justify it.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 am

Kress wrote:

while I agree with you, that concept is in direct conflict with the geocentricity of the 3 major abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam)
beardmcdoug

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion