Why not? Aliens thread.

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Why not? Aliens thread.

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Since there's nothing going on in politics/news besides the impeding race war, the hurricane and the slow motion impeachment of the US president, I figured now's a good time for this topic - that, and I got drunk the other night and watch "Unacknowledged" on Netflix by myself and I want to talk about it

Ah yes, I can hear the collective squishing sound of eyeballs rolling, but bear with me

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6400614/

For those who haven't seen/heard anything about the film, it just came out recently and is produced by Dr. Steven Greer. The dude has been doing this **** for a while now, and this is sort of his penultimate production, something his whole "career" as a UFO research has led up to. And I've got to say, this is some high quality ****. Believe me, I've become pretty cynical in the past couple years, particularly about my own views on things, views that I developed in the ripe college years, and aliens/ufo's have always been an interest of mine, but I really haven't thought much about them in recent years. So when I popped this on, I was thinking to myself, "ok, let's see what a load of **** this is".

Then about 30 minutes in, I'm like laughing in complete disbelief at how convincing this **** is. I mean its good. It would be one thing if he was presenting some little fuzzy clips with dubbed over commentary by Lucy B Starchild and Cleetus Swampington, or hell, even some quotes from "some guy who claims he was there at area 51" - I would have shut it off after 10 minutes. I've seen that 100 times.

But in this film, he's compiled quotes, documents, interview clips from top Pentagon Generals and Admirals - career military men, astronauts (Edgar Mitchell, 6th man to walk on the moon is featured), the CIA Director, even friggin John Podesta shows up, and of course, the quotes from JFK, Eisenhower and I believe Ford. And they're all compiled here and verified. I stopped at several points to google/wiki some of these generals and admirals to see if they were bullshitting or not - because hell, if this is real, and their testimony is real, this is some pretty view-point shattering ****. So I had to know if these guys were at least who they say they are, and sure enough, they were all real. And its pretty freaking amazing what these guys are saying. There's only one person in the film I had a problem with, and that was that little **** Richard Doty. He was the focal point of the film Mirage Men, which came out a few years back, and he's an admitted disinfo agent. So I don't buy a word he says, and he comes off like a complete liar. The way he talks reminds me of our the intern in our office, who doesn't know **** about the NFL, and we'll all be standing around bullshitting about football and he wants to be a part so he'll just try to throw some things in there and its just cringe, its like dude, just stop, its not your thing, its OK (he thought AP was still in Minnesota this year... and the guy is from Minnesota).

Anyways, the film is excellent. It's pretty quick paced and is probably the most convincing presentation of information regarding the subject I've ever come across in the roughly 10 years I've been interested in this stuff. There are some cheezy parts, but they are outweighed by the heaviness of the implications of the subject. If you've ever been interested in the subject, or sit on the fence about it, I highly recommend watching it. Again, they just put it up on Netflix.

I'll let those watch the film without going over everything they cover, but one of the main points is about military tech / energy tech / control / false flag potential - and it's really one of those things that is completely plausible when all of it is laid out, but is just such a far gap for most people to make the leap to "believing", and going along with all that it implies. Hell, even I find myself just "noping out" sometimes. It's a weird phenomenon I guess.

One thing that keeps me sort of tethered to the "believing" side - besides all the pretty solid evidence that I'm talking about in this movie lol... is the fact that I had my own little experience. Wasn't anything major, but it was just one of those things I'll never forget - and its exactly the type of thing a LOT of other people talk about. I'll never forget it. It was about 6-7 years ago, back when I was still living in Tallahahassee. The place I lived was right on the edge of town so there wasn't a lot of things going on around there, and our place was actually right near a little wooded area - so relatively secluded. I was just leaving my apartment, which was on the third floor, and you walk down this kind of corridor towards the stairs to leave. At the end of the corridor there basically isn't a wall, just a row of railing that goes up a little higher than your waist. So you're just walking towards this big window (probably about 4ft wide by 10ft high) when you leave. My place was only the second one from the stairs so I was pretty close to the window. If I were to walk the other way, not towards the stairs I'm describing, it actually overlooks the pool area with the same type of railing, so there's a really well-lit corridor. Anyways, I was leaving my apartment one day with my ex-gf (who really hated aliens and ****), and we're walking towards the stairs, and all of the sudden, this like matte-silver orb with slight greenish/blue "glow" or hue to it, probably a little bigger than a basketball, comes from right-to-left and stops right into the center of the window, pauses for a full "one-mississippi", then continues right-to-left. We both stopped in our tracks stunned, I looked at her and said "you saw that right?" she was wide-eyed and said "yeah, what the **** was that" - I'm just bewildered - so I kind of slowly walk up to the window and lean through and look to the left first - nothing, up, then down, around, and everywhere else in sight. Nothing. No cars, no people. It was the middle of the day, maybe 1pm and I was sober as a bird. And that was it. Just came, paused, and went on. It was almost like it stopped, looked at us, then flew on. And it "flew" straight and "hovered" still - it didn't wobble like a balloon, and there was no acceleration or deceleration to its movement. And I wasn't the only the only one to see it. Who knows what it was.

Anyways, the topic seems to have fallen off recently - I don't know if its atrophy (alot of people got interested in around 2012), or there's just so much other **** going on, but even I have been kind of "meh" on the subject. Seeing this film rekindled some of that "whoa" feeling about the whole thing and has been fun to kind of bounce around the idea in my head again.

So where do ya'll stand on it? I'd say right now, particularly after seeing this movie, I'd put myself at the 80-90% believe range. Which is weird to say, considering I live my life as if it was 0%
beardmcdoug

Re: Why not? Aliens thread.

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 pm

I'll definitely check it out ... I'll watch some during commercials tonight of the OSU game.

I love alien conspiracy stuff ... I'll admit, I was an avid watcher of that ridiculous ancient alien series
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:38 pm

DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:42 pm

lol right on zarni

and DN you probably watched the darn thing before I did :P
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 am

OK, so I watched about 2/3 of this thing during commercial breaks.

The first 20 mins or so that focused on potential contact was pretty cool...just basic run of the mill UFO stuff.

The rest of it was garbage....and that's saying something because I don't really have high expectations when I watch conspiracy things to begin with. Once he went on about the industrial military complex, it was clear they guy is a loon with an axe to grind or some sort of political agenda. Again, suggesting someone who makes this kind of film is a loon is for the most part tautological, but this guys takes the cake.

---

as to my general take on whether we are alone in the universe.....i think, given the size of the universe, it is INCREDIBLY unlikely that we are alone.

now do i think we are being visited by aliens (or have been in modern human history)?....i find that also incredibly unlikely.
Zarniwoop

Postby Babeinbucland » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:OK, so I watched about 2/3 of this thing during commercial breaks.

The first 20 mins or so that focused on potential contact was pretty cool...just basic run of the mill UFO stuff.

The rest of it was garbage....and that's saying something because I don't really have high expectations when I watch conspiracy things to begin with. Once he went on about the industrial military complex, it was clear they guy is a loon with an axe to grind or some sort of political agenda. Again, suggesting someone who makes this kind of film is a loon is for the most part tautological, but this guys takes the cake.
as to my general take on whether we are alone in the universe.....i think, given the size of the universe, it is INCREDIBLY unlikely that we are alone.

now do i think we are being visited by aliens (or have been in modern human history)?....i find that also incredibly unlikely.

And yet...here you are 8-)
Babeinbucland

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:26 am

Zarniwoop wrote:OK, so I watched about 2/3 of this thing during commercial breaks.

---

LOL :drinkingcheers:

Your last point though - you didn't find any of that evidence in the first 20 or so minutes compelling?
beardmcdoug

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am

Zarniwoop wrote:now do i think we are being visited by aliens (or have been in modern human history)?....i find that also incredibly unlikely.

I've always maintained, since the closest star in with our technology is roughly 70,000 years away. Even with theoretical science, it's thousands of years. If any Alien life were to come here it more than likely be hostile in nature. The amount of resources and effort to accomplish something like that would likely not have a return journey. If something were to travel this far it would likely be to colonize earth.

I can say with confidence that what the USAF has at area 51 is not what people think.
uscbucsfan

Postby Corsair » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:52 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I can say with confidence that what the USAF has at area 51 is not what people think.

Can you say with confidence what the USAF DOES have at area 51?
Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Corsair wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I can say with confidence that what the USAF has at area 51 is not what people think.

Can you say with confidence what the USAF DOES have at area 51?

Buildings
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm actually interested. He seems to have some information.

I'm not trying to pretend he has inside info, but if there's an alternate theory out there I'd really like to hear it.
Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Corsair wrote:I'm actually interested. He seems to have some information.

I'm not trying to pretend he has inside info, but if there's an alternate theory out there I'd really like to hear it.

What I know about it is that is where "skunkworks" is located. SR-71, F-117, B-2 Were developed there.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:45 pm

BMD, Hubby and I watching it tonight on your recommendation. No pressure :D
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babeinbucland

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Corsair wrote:I'm actually interested. He seems to have some information.

With the thousands of contractors, politicians, USAF members including intel, security forces, services, supply, maintenance and general officers that have had access to the site over the years, don't you think if anything extra terrestrial were there there would someone giving legitimate reports? I mean you can google every detail about every missile site or PL 1 resource we protect, but outside of conspiracy theorist all you get from Area 51 is that there's a lot of surveillance based equipment, now primarily drones. I guess that's not interesting enough for most.

With confidence I can say there are a ton of contractors, drones, satellites, and military members.

and yes....Buildings
uscbucsfan

Postby Corsair » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:32 pm

I agree. A conspiracy becomes more difficult to sustain with more and more participants.

I've never really believed that there is much at A51 besides maybe storage of things of interest. It's hard to reconcile that the base is an underground alien research facility.

My guiding belief if that the Universe is too expansive not to contain multiple instances of evolved intelligent beings. But the odds of even one reaching us in our short modern recorded history is beyond astronomical.

I'm not going to discount the idea that we may discover life or even proof of a civilization in the far reaches of space through observing phenomena within our lifetime. But the idea that we have physically met already seems beyond our reach.

Intelligent life = yes, I believe.

UFO or UAP = not so much

Also, as NDTyson points out. Are they really intelligent if they traveled all this way only to crash instead of landing? What sort of alien crosses the galaxies but can't land in rural New Mexico?

FF to 10:35
Corsair

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Well the odds of the Big Bang are also beyond astronomical (no pun intended lol)

Having said that the film was defiantly worth watching. WIsh they would have spent more time on Tesla, what an amazing human being.
Babeinbucland

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 am

Corsair wrote:I agree. A conspiracy becomes more difficult to sustain with more and more participants.

I've never really believed that there is much at A51 besides maybe storage of things of interest. It's hard to reconcile that the base is an underground alien research facility.

My guiding belief if that the Universe is too expansive not to contain multiple instances of evolved intelligent beings. But the odds of even one reaching us in our short modern recorded history is beyond astronomical.

I'm not going to discount the idea that we may discover life or even proof of a civilization in the far reaches of space through observing phenomena within our lifetime. But the idea that we have physically met already seems beyond our reach.

Intelligent life = yes, I believe.

UFO or UAP = not so much

Also, as NDTyson points out. Are they really intelligent if they traveled all this way only to crash instead of landing? What sort of alien crosses the galaxies but can't land in rural New Mexico?

FF to 10:35

Re: the conspiracy being harder to cover up when so many people are involved: it's not like people haven't come out and said things - just nobody believes any of it because its all "fanciful movie crap" in the public's eye. If we are to believe the theory, it isn't hard to see how well """They""" have crafted this public view point and to acknowledge that it has become self-policing at this point - and I think the simplicity of it is what makes it so powerful

Ultimately, the far end of the my "believing" spectrum is held up by the scenario, which I believe was popularized by Carl Sagan, where one considers what an ant must think of the 10 lane highway his ant hill is built next to. Does the ant experience some sort of auditory or physical vibration from the noise coming from the traffic; does the ant step on the asphalt and "know" what it feels like? sure. but does the ant have any concept of the cars, people, equipment being hauled, the merchandise shipped, the effect of that road on the economy, on taxes, on upkeep, on human society? no, it has no clue about the true "nature" of that road - it has no clue about its purpose. We very well could be like some ant high parked on the side of some intergalactic super highway and have no clue.

Hell, look at this:

(be prepared, this might be one of the most depressing 4 minute videos you ever watch)

there's a big enough gap between the activities/complexity of life and existence between members of our own species - who's to think there's not some greater gap between our species and some intergalactic million-years-old "species"

and as far as other stars/possible life existing at unreachable distances, I understand and I agree with you that the physical rules don't allow FTL travel etc. But those are simply the "current" rules that our civilization lives by. We all know how weird **** is and we all know, the more you know, the more you know you don't know. I'm at least willing to entertain the "alternate frequency", etc, hypothesis. Our human, biological sensory organs are rather limited, even in relation to other species on our very own planet. our constructed tools are extensions of our 5 senses, translating stimuli that occurs outside the bands that we sense naturally, into understandable forms. I'm willing to accept that there are other forms of existence/stimuli that occur outside the suite that we evolved with specifically to navigate this earth and this earth only.

another ant analogy I'm willing to entertain, and this one is in regards to space travel, is the the one where an ant only has one way to get from the left edge of a sheet of paper to the right edge: by walking straight across; whereas, a human could come along and roll the paper up and meet the two edges and viola, the ant gets from A to B instantly. Who knows if there is a 3-D / 4-D version of that anology that we might learn more about over the next couple hundred years

And re: Corsair / NDTyson, I think that is an OK point to throw into the hat, but I don't think that's as end-all be-all as he's making it out to be. I'm still willing to accept that if those "saucers", etc are flying around in an unfamiliar atmosphere, with normal physical conditions (and these aren't some type of craft that can just "dematerialize" or go "out of sync" on some sort of resonance frequency beyond our physical existence or some ****), that there is no reason to believe that mistakes can't happen. I certainly am not stuck on believing that whatever aliens are out there MUST be some perfect entity that is beyond mistake. I mean they don't need to be absolute commanders of the physical reality, and perfect in every way, to have made it to the point where they're travelling around in advanced spacecraft

glad you thought it was cool, BIBL :drinkingcheers:
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:14 am

Antman!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:37 am

beardmcdoug wrote:And re: Corsair / NDTyson, I think that is an OK point to throw into the hat, but I don't think that's as end-all be-all as he's making it out to be. I'm still willing to accept that if those "saucers", etc are flying around in an unfamiliar atmosphere, with normal physical conditions (and these aren't some type of craft that can just "dematerialize" or go "out of sync" on some sort of resonance frequency beyond our physical existence or some ****), that there is no reason to believe that mistakes can't happen. I certainly am not stuck on believing that whatever aliens are out there MUST be some perfect entity that is beyond mistake. I mean they don't need to be absolute commanders of the physical reality, and perfect in every way, to have made it to the point where they're travelling around in advanced spacecraft

If we sent some folks to mars and they crashed...and we weren't sure if there were any survivors...would we send a crew to go and rescue Matt Damon?

I feel like aliens probably would have tried to send a rescue crew to come get their pilot if one actually crashed here.

But, who knows. Maybe there is a super advanced alien race out there that is incompetent and heartless.
mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:49 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:And re: Corsair / NDTyson, I think that is an OK point to throw into the hat, but I don't think that's as end-all be-all as he's making it out to be. I'm still willing to accept that if those "saucers", etc are flying around in an unfamiliar atmosphere, with normal physical conditions (and these aren't some type of craft that can just "dematerialize" or go "out of sync" on some sort of resonance frequency beyond our physical existence or some ****), that there is no reason to believe that mistakes can't happen. I certainly am not stuck on believing that whatever aliens are out there MUST be some perfect entity that is beyond mistake. I mean they don't need to be absolute commanders of the physical reality, and perfect in every way, to have made it to the point where they're travelling around in advanced spacecraft

If we sent some folks to mars and they crashed...and we weren't sure if there were any survivors...would we send a crew to go and rescue Matt Damon?

I feel like aliens probably would have tried to send a rescue crew to come get their pilot if one actually crashed here.

But, who knows. Maybe there is a super advanced alien race out there that is incompetent and heartless.

maybe they did! maybe that's part of the deal: "you go down there, and if you **** up, its too sensitive for us to come get you" /shrug
beardmcdoug

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 pm

Well, if they are being with souls- it would make sense that their fellow beings would not just leave them here. But they could not have souls and just be bodies. Perhaps instead they are so advanced a society that they know reincarnation exist so retrieving the bodies didn't matter as their souls had already left thier body. Just sayin'
Last edited by Babeinbucland on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babeinbucland

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:08 am

LISTER: Sometimes, I think it's cruel giving machines a personality. Me mate Petersen once bought a pair of shoes with artificial intelligence. Smart Shoes they were called. It was a neat idea: no matter how blind drunk you were, they could always get you home. But he got rattled one night in Oslo and woke up the next morning in Burma. Y'see, his shoes got bored going from his local to his flat. They wanted to see the world, like, y'know. He had a hell of a job getting rid of them. No matter who he sold them to, they'd show up again the next day. He tried to shut them out, but they just kicked the door down, y'know.

RIMMER: Is this true?

LISTER: Yeah. The last thing I heard, they sort of... robbed a car and drove it into a canal. They couldn't steer, y'see.

RIMMER: Really?

LISTER: Yeah. Petersen was really, really blown away about it. He went to see a priest. The priest told him... he said it was alright and all that, when shoes are happy that they'd get into heaven. You see, it turns out shoes have soles.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Fascinating subject for sure. I also had a UFO experience back when I was about 13 and I lived in Dayton, OH. I mean, what me and the friends saw was a UFO to us anyway. But perhaps it was explainable if I could have spoken to the right person about it. Regardless, I'll never know what it was. Still, I find it difficult to believe our planet has been visited by, intelligent, extraterrestrial life. I haven't watched that movie yet and I'm not sure if I will. But I might. :D

As for discounting Area 51 as being a hotbed of alien experimentation, I don't think you can. If (IF) intelligent extraterrestrials have visited and crashed here, I don't see why Area 51 couldn't be exactly what "conspiracists" think it is. Just because there are a lot of people there (cleaning crews, cooks, maintenance people, etc.) doesn't mean the government couldn't be hiding "alien" stuff. They could easily control the number of people that have direct access to the alien stuff thereby limiting the number of people with direct knowledge of alien activities. While a conspiracy does become more difficult to maintain the more people that are involved, it isn't impossible. And, like mcbeard said, there have been people speak out, but they are generally ridiculed and no one believes them. Aliens! OMG! LOL! Losers!

Next, in an effort, I assume, to discount the possibility of alien visitors, USC said it would take about 70,000 years to travel here from the next closest star system based on our current technology. That's true. The closest earth-size exoplanet discovered so far is Proxima b, which also happens to be located in the habitable zone of the Proxima Centauri system, is about 4.2 light years away. However, for arguments sake, let's say that planet not only harbors life, but intelligent life. Let's further suppose that intelligent life has developed interstellar flight. The time it would take them to get here could be far shorter than 70,000 years depending upon how advanced they are technologically. They could reach earth in 100 years if they developed the tech to travel at just 4.2% the speed of light. Up that to 10% the speed of light and you cut that journey down to 42 years. At 25%, you're looking at a mere 17 years. Anyway... you get the idea. It's doable if one can travel fast enough.

Finally, a thank you to zarni for making me look up a word. Tautological. I had never seen that word before reading your post above. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 am

Maybe this is covered somewhere. But, one thing I don't understand is...

Why would the government hide it?

I mean, I can try to go along with an alien race trying to be as discrete as possible and only sending one craft and trying their best to not alert us of their presence...that they would have no interest in trying to rescue fallen friends or even bother with a follow up mission. They try that one time and our government was lucky enough to get in front of it before any solid proof went public. Why? Why go to such lengths to try and keep mankind in the dark about an alien species that tried to visit? Maybe at first I get it...they don't want to scare people. But, it's been a long time now. How many people would panic now if they heard "Okay, half a century ago some aliens tried to visit us but they crashed their car in the desert. We haven't heard anything since." What's so scary about that? There's no need to cover it up anymore.
mightyleemoon

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 am

That documentary that BMD shared with us said the government is hiding it because alien technology would be so advanced that we would all get free energy and apparently the government can't have that.
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 am

Zarniwoop wrote:That documentary that BMD shared with us said the government is hiding it because alien technology would be so advanced that we would all get free energy and apparently the government can't have that.

not the government, """them""" ;)

IF, and that's a major IF (I'm not buying in 100% on... anything really), but if this is the situation, it would complete cause the entire framework of our controlled lives to collapse. It's simply an unacceptable outcome for the most powerful people and families in the world.

it's consistent with the rest of the picture, at least
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am

well "they" control the government as well right? :P

so we are talking about the same people

but you are right...its more direct to say it as you did when it pertains to the theory espoused in that film
Zarniwoop

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am

Zarniwoop wrote:That documentary that BMD shared with us said the government is hiding it because alien technology would be so advanced that we would all get free energy and apparently the government can't have that.

mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 am

mightyleemoon wrote:

hey man watch it for yourself. these aren't exactly whack jobs talking about this in the movie
beardmcdoug

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:56 am

mightyleemoon wrote:Maybe this is covered somewhere. But, one thing I don't understand is...

Why would the government hide it?

I mean, I can try to go along with an alien race trying to be as discrete as possible and only sending one craft and trying their best to not alert us of their presence...that they would have no interest in trying to rescue fallen friends or even bother with a follow up mission. They try that one time and our government was lucky enough to get in front of it before any solid proof went public. Why? Why go to such lengths to try and keep mankind in the dark about an alien species that tried to visit? Maybe at first I get it...they don't want to scare people. But, it's been a long time now. How many people would panic now if they heard "Okay, half a century ago some aliens tried to visit us but they crashed their car in the desert. We haven't heard anything since." What's so scary about that? There's no need to cover it up anymore.

It would be a pretty major blow to a lot of religious folks, I think.
Rocker

Next

Return to Politics and Religion