Everything Business Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:07 am

According to the CNN article, full time drivers average $36/hr (not including benefits).

That’s damn good money ~ $70K+ per year
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby deltbucs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:13 am

Zarniwoop wrote:According to the CNN article, full time drivers average $36/hr (not including benefits).

That’s damn good money ~ $70K+ per year

Damn...Maybe it was starting at $18/hour that I heard back then. That's pretty good money.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 4681
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 am

Zarniwoop wrote:According to the CNN article, full time drivers average $36/hr (not including benefits).

That’s damn good money ~ $70K+ per year

:o :o :o :o :o
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 9628
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 809 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 am

More random stats .... listening to radio program and just heard the median home price in the US right now is $302,000

Surely that can’t be right can it? They said home values increased 6.7% last month alone
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:33 am

It really shows we have to change the way we collect local taxes ... as a % of the value of your home is insane.

The city doesn’t need more services simply because house prices go up.

And people are struggling enough to buy homes, then you burden them with insane property taxes.


Ridiculous
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:38 am

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:According to the CNN article, full time drivers average $36/hr (not including benefits).

That’s damn good money ~ $70K+ per year

:o :o :o :o :o

Water is wet and union jobs pay really good.

Zarni, did you bring this up because the teamsters voted to strike over CBA negotiations?
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 11524
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 579 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote: :o :o :o :o :o

Water is wet and union jobs pay really good.

Zarni, did you bring this up because the teamsters voted to strike over CBA negotiations?



That's the article I read


My prediction -- just like the Vegas folks, they won't strike.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Water is wet and union jobs pay really good.

Zarni, did you bring this up because the teamsters voted to strike over CBA negotiations?



That's the article I read


My prediction -- just like the Vegas folks, they won't strike.

They haven't in 20 years, so I tend to agree. I think the vote itself is a message to corporate that they will not be making any major concessions.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 11524
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 579 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

That's the article I read


My prediction -- just like the Vegas folks, they won't strike.

They haven't in 20 years, so I tend to agree. I think the vote itself is a message to corporate that they will not be making any major concessions.



I'm not sure how much of a message it sends...something like 90%+ of the time when unions take a vote about the ability to go on strike they vote yes...but only very seldom does it happen.

It's no different than management "voting" that they should have a lock-out option. They would always vote yes to the possibility.


So far these two groups have made it work -- drivers are making great wages, stockholders are making good money. Would be stupid to shake that tree too much.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:They haven't in 20 years, so I tend to agree. I think the vote itself is a message to corporate that they will not be making any major concessions.



I'm not sure how much of a message it sends...something like 90%+ of the time when unions take a vote about the ability to go on strike they vote yes...but only very seldom does it happen.

It's no different than management "voting" that they should have a lock-out option. They would always vote yes to the possibility.


So far these two groups have made it work -- drivers are making great wages, stockholders are making good money. Would be stupid to shake that tree too much.

Well, we don't know for sure the backstory on the last CBA which tends to set the stage for the next one. For some reason the Teamsters felt the need to put a vote out there.

Corporate says they're confident they'll come to an agreement that is equitable. that serves the dual purpose of stating intent and mitigating today's stock dip. But I'm with you that it's resolve with not a lot of fanfare or press coverage.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 11524
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 112 times
Been thanked: 579 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:25 am

from my understanding their big gripe is about the pay transition for part time workers who become full time.

we never get the full story though that's for sure. i was involved in a very tense negotiation where the workers were threatening (and eventually did) go on strike. Nearly nothing reported in the news was accurate to either side
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:It really shows we have to change the way we collect local taxes ... as a % of the value of your home is insane.

The city doesn’t need more services simply because house prices go up.

And people are struggling enough to buy homes, then you burden them with insane property taxes.


Ridiculous



Yeah it's really stupid. I'm listing both of my condos this month and once they're sold I'm going to buy a house. I'm in Clearwater right now, my condos are roughly 1100 sq ft a piece, I own no land and the taxes without a homestead exemption are ~1500 a year. Not bad, until you consider that I can get a house 15-20 minutes north of here that is 2.5 times the size of my current place on a quarter of an acre and my property taxes would only jump about 500 a year from what I pay for a single unit here. And Florida has pretty cheap taxes at that.

Anyway, my point was to support your statement about the way the local property taxes are assessed.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:00 pm

AT&T and Time Warner given green light by federal judge to merge. AT&T will pay $85 Billion for Time Warner.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby deltbucs » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:AT&T and Time Warner given green light by federal judge to merge. AT&T will pay $85 Billion for Time Warner.

Fuuuuck. Right after they canned net neutrality, too.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 4681
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 202 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

deltbucs wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:AT&T and Time Warner given green light by federal judge to merge. AT&T will pay $85 Billion for Time Warner.

Fuuuuck. Right after they canned net neutrality, too.


It'd be hilarious if it was happening in a different country.

Also I saw this interesting chart the other day. Bell has essentially been able to form a monopoly again.

Image
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 am

The Outsider wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Fuuuuck. Right after they canned net neutrality, too.


It'd be hilarious if it was happening in a different country.

Also I saw this interesting chart the other day. Bell has essentially been able to form a monopoly again.

Image



I've seen this chart before...what makes you think they have a monopoly? Specifically in what sector(s) would you say they have that monopoly?



I do agree that this merger will be a good test of what will happen in terms of priority content and net neutrality
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am

deltbucs wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:AT&T and Time Warner given green light by federal judge to merge. AT&T will pay $85 Billion for Time Warner.

Fuuuuck. Right after they canned net neutrality, too.

Thank god we drained the swamp or I'd suspect there was some sort of bribery going on here.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 3522
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am

Ummmm....the justice department fought against the merger. It went to court because the Justice Dept didn’t let the merger go through
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 am

Damn, Trump!
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 9628
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 809 times
Been thanked: 313 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:48 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Ummmm....the justice department fought against the merger. It went to court because the Justice Dept didn’t let the merger go through

Get out of here with your crazy facts!
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Ummmm....the justice department fought against the merger. It went to court because the Justice Dept didn’t let the merger go through

Get out of here with your crazy facts!


maybe the Dept put up their worst lawyers to lose on purpose...you know because Trump loves CNN and Time Warner and will bend over backwards for them to get what they want....LOL
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:55 am

Calm down there guys... as you can see, I was responding to delt's statement about net neutrality. You guys certainly get spun into a frenzy easily.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 3522
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:28 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
It'd be hilarious if it was happening in a different country.

Also I saw this interesting chart the other day. Bell has essentially been able to form a monopoly again.

Image



I've seen this chart before...what makes you think they have a monopoly? Specifically in what sector(s) would you say they have that monopoly?



I do agree that this merger will be a good test of what will happen in terms of priority content and net neutrality


I would say that this merger effectively gives them a monopoly in cable/ISP. While technically untrue, this leave three major ISPs in the country between Comcast, Cox, and now AT&T/Time Warner. The practice has been around for a while, but this effectively makes it even easier for those companies to divvy up territories so as to not directly compete with each other which basically just allows them to have local monopolies. I'm sure you already know this as lack of choice in cable providers is nothing new.

As for net neutrality and priority content, well, this could really end up being disastrous for consumers.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 am

I guess I don’t understand your take because as far as I know this doesn’t impact AT&Ts ISP as Time Warner isnt an ISP and Time Warner’s cable service (Spectrum) spun off and is its own company so AT&Ts TV offerings haven’t changed.


This is basically AT&T buying content. It’s a vertical merger not a horizontal one as such it doesn’t seem to me (or the ruling judge) that it restricts either ISP competition or TV competition

What am I missing?
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I guess I don’t understand your take because as far as I know this doesn’t impact AT&Ts ISP as Time Warner isnt an ISP and Time Warner’s cable service (Spectrum) spun off and is its own company so AT&Ts TV offerings haven’t changed.


This is basically AT&T buying content. It’s a vertical merger not a horizontal one as such it doesn’t seem to me (or the ruling judge) that it restricts either ISP competition or TV competition

What am I missing?



Nothing. I'm more misrepresenting my point because I'm sick and not really thinking 100% right now. I just don't like the precedent it sets and I worry that as the mega-corps continue to buy one another up that the potential is very much there for this to get out of control and a situation like the telecomms industry in the 1980s.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I guess I don’t understand your take because as far as I know this doesn’t impact AT&Ts ISP as Time Warner isnt an ISP and Time Warner’s cable service (Spectrum) spun off and is its own company so AT&Ts TV offerings haven’t changed.


This is basically AT&T buying content. It’s a vertical merger not a horizontal one as such it doesn’t seem to me (or the ruling judge) that it restricts either ISP competition or TV competition

What am I missing?

I think most people think Time Warner is the cable company that is now Spectrum like you were stating. I don't see any reason to block this merger outside of dislike for big companies in principle.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm

I can empathize with that sentiment in general....I just don't know how to craft a law that does more good than harm. I think our anti-trust laws now are fairly good (that being said, I don't think we always diligently follow them)...but that obviously looks within an industry or segment.

I"m not sure how you can justify or craft a law that prevents firms from either expanding vertically or do conglomerate/non-related take-overs (such as Amazon and the WaPo or Amazon and Whole Foods).
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 4624
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Previous

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests