Everything Business Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Justice Dept is appealing the decision to allow the Time Warner / AT&T merger

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/just ... 26345.html

Good. I don't see why not.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 pm

I don’t know how successful they will be. I don’t see anything wrong with the original judge’s reasoning

Edit — maybe there was a procedural issue in the case....if so, I’d support the appeal
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 am

It was late, didn't read your posts correctly. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't pass as it's not monopolistic unless the $600,000 to Cohen is being used against them.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Good quick read on this guys optimism in the market going forward

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/weve ... 19752.html
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Good quick read on this guys optimism in the market going forward

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/weve ... 19752.html

I'm not a stock guy, but that was an interesting take. The one thing I do see is the higher profit margins.
Earnings
Recent quarterly earnings reports from many market leaders continue to show incredible acceleration in growth and profit margins.

My company is in an industry that is slow to catch up in a recovery. That's because commercial roofing/HVAC is heavily dependent upon new residential construction. For example, when the recession began, we were still making good earnings for the next 2 years because we were still supplying current commercial construction due to the heavy residential construction prior to the crash. On the other end, recovery, we don't pick up until the need for new commercial construction is reached (such as new shopping centers, schools, etc.). Those activities don't heat up until after residential construction has recovered and is back in full swing. After all, there's no need for new schools or shopping centers if there's no new residential construction happening.

Anyway, longer story short, my company (wholesale commercial roofing/HVAC) has just started picking up major steam again. We were profitable for the first time since 2011 last year (we basically broke even in 2016). This year, we've already past last year's total year-end profit after only 6 months. This means that residential building has reached a point where new commercial construction is needed to keep pace. Yay us!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 am

I'm pretty much in agreement with the article. Basically when it comes to the stock market and its performance I see a few major things impacting it

1.) Are stocks "priced right"? Other than a few tech companies, most stocks are still valued using the traditional P/E ratio. The rule of 20 still applies in almost all cases with blue-chips and industrials. Right now we are well below 20...essentially making it equivalent to a cheap sales price

2.) Are the economy and profits growing? This helps us determine if the price will be "right" in the future. With all our current indicators I don't see any reason to think in the next 2 years that growth will substantially change (see note below).

3.) Is there liquid cash? Just because something is priced right doens't mean it will sell if there are no buyers. There is plenty of money right now available for investing ... even a guy like MB complains that businesses have so much liquid capital they are all engaging in stock buybacks. So I'm fairly positive on this note too.

4.) What other options are there for money? Though the Fed Funds rate is rising, those increases haven't shown up in the money market sector. However, some bonds are starting to creep up. ON a whole stocks are still very attractive given their traditional return compared to other current vehicles.

My optimism is tempered only by Trumps trade policy. As I have written a few times on the board, the dude certainly has balls to put pressure on other countries (china, EU, NAFTA even) to level out tariffs and in the long run...and if it works, it will be brilliant. he's the only president brave/stupid enough to try this. However, I'm not sure it will work. As much as the EU loves to talk denounce nationalism and protectionism, they are far more protectionist then we are...and I think they are idiotic enough to choose that hill to die on.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:12 am

All I know is that I had to make some changes to my 401k mix after analyzing my results through the 2nd quarter. A couple of the funds (a bond fund & an asset fund) that were performing really well the past couple of years had pretty much died on the table. I noticed them trending down late last year but I was slow to give up on them. Anyway, I picked up a couple more U.S. stock funds to replace them and reallocated the assets from the 2 funds I dropped into funds that have been continuously performing really well. I was late to the 401k table, so I've been trying to be really aggressive since I got into this 11 years ago.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:14 am

Buc2 wrote:All I know is that I had to make some changes to my 401k mix after analyzing my results through the 2nd quarter. A couple of the funds (a bond fund & an asset fund) that were performing really well the past couple of years had pretty much died on the table. I noticed them trending down late last year but I was slow too give up on them. Anyway, I picked up a couple more U.S. stock funds to replace them and reallocated the assets from the 2 funds I dropped into funds that have been continuously performing really well. I was late to the 401k table, so I've been trying to be really aggressive since I got into this 11 years ago.

Awesome Buc2 -- so many people that have a 401k never look at it.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:All I know is that I had to make some changes to my 401k mix after analyzing my results through the 2nd quarter. A couple of the funds (a bond fund & an asset fund) that were performing really well the past couple of years had pretty much died on the table. I noticed them trending down late last year but I was slow too give up on them. Anyway, I picked up a couple more U.S. stock funds to replace them and reallocated the assets from the 2 funds I dropped into funds that have been continuously performing really well. I was late to the 401k table, so I've been trying to be really aggressive since I got into this 11 years ago.

Awesome Buc2 -- so many people that have a 401k never look at it.

I can't imagine not actively watching it. It's my retirement and no one else is going to look out for it if I don't. Like I said, I was late to the table. I had jack and **** invested towards retirement prior to my divorce (just flat didn't have it to invest). So I'm doing my best to make the most out of it while I still can.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:22 am

It's good you have your own strategy. Most advisors would tell people your age (no jokes here) to be very conservative in bonds and mm. Does your company do any match?

i pretty much go balls out on my 401k with aggressiveness....i use other things for more stable growth and income.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

i pretty much go balls out on my 401k with aggressiveness....i use other things for more stable growth and income.

Same here.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:40 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Same here.

That's cause you are smart like me

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

In all seriousness I do this for a couple reasons -- rational, and not so much so

1.) House money -- my employer does a 100% match. Like most gamblers using house money, I tend to undervalue it (irrational)

2.) Because I'm in it for the long run, I can easily temper any short term downturns in the market -- and I continually have money flowing into it when it goes down I get to buy cheap. Provided the market recovers to what it would have been, someone my age or below actually benefits from downturns cause the "losses" are paper losses and we get to buy undervalued stocks...particularly when you go the aggressive route. (rational)

3.) I have fewer options in my 401k then other investments. One thing my company's plan does well is aggressive strategies....not so good with mixed strategies (rational)

4.) that being said, the aggressive route with my provider still isn't all that aggressive compared to purchasing single stocks (rational)
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:It's good you have your own strategy. Most advisors would tell people your age (no jokes here) to be very conservative in bonds and mm. Does your company do any match?

My company matches up to 6%. The investor website has some tools that are supposed to help you develop a strategy, but none of them were aggressive enough. That's why I do it myself. That's also a big reason I carefully watch what's going on so I can move investments if they start lagging. The first few years with my company sucked. I was hired in the summer of '07...right before the economy tanked. So my 401k growth was pretty anemic for the first few years I was here. As a cost cutting measure, they even stopped matching for about 2-1/2 years (2010 to 2013). They also did a bunch of layoffs during that time and got out of some of the markets they were in (Florida & Tennessee). I cut my contributions down to 3% during the time they stopped matching. When they started matching again, I bumped it back up to 6%.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Kroger is challenging VISA over credit card fees. It will be interesting to see how this ends. Kroger is no chump in the retail market and I'm sure every major retailer is watching this battle.

Kroger may expand Visa credit card ban to more stores
Mike Snider, USA TODAY Published 9:57 a.m. ET Aug. 1, 2018 | Updated 1:19 p.m. ET Aug. 1, 2018

Supermarket chain Kroger is considering expanding a ban on Visa credit cards, which it will soon stop accepting at Foods Co. stores in California.

Foods Co., part of Kroger's California-based Food 4 Less Stores subsidiary, says 21 supermarkets and five gas stations in central and northern California will no longer accept Visa credit cards starting August 14.

The decision was made to save on fees Kroger, the nation's largest grocer, must pay Visa to process credit card purchases. But the action could be far-reaching. Cincinnati-based Kroger is considering expanding the ban to more of its stores if it doesn't reach a deal with Visa on fees at Foods Co. stores, the company's chief information officer Chris Hjelm says.

"We are going to continue to work with Visa to get where we think is good for our customers, good for Kroger and works for Visa," he said. If that means a ban at additional stores, "that’s what we will have to do," he said.

Retailers pay $90 billion in so-called swipe fees annually, according to Bloomberg, and Kroger is concerned Visa's rates and fees are among the highest.

Retailers are typically charged more by credit card companies to process credit card payments than debit cards. Kroger has been in negotiations with Visa and other companies to make credit card sales less burdensome, Hjelm says.

"Cash, check and debit cards are much lower cost … and we believe we have got to get credit to a much more competitive place than it is today," he said.

Foods Co. will still accept all debit cards including Visa debit cards, as well as MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards.

The move will save customers from higher prices, Foods Co. president Bryan Kaltenbach in a statement.

“We realize this will be a change for some customers,” he said. “But we believe this change will benefit all our customers by allowing our Foods Co. stores to continue to offer the things our customers value most, including our low prices, fresh produce and services.”

Visa is "disappointed at Kroger's decision," the credit company said in a statement. "Visa remains committed to working with Kroger to reach a reasonable solution."
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:46 pm

honestly, i don't see Kroger winning any extended battle with Visa on this. Kroger loses a whole lot more money on this then Visa does (as Visa just takes a small portion of Kroger's transactions).

i was excited a while ago when in Texas they allowed retailers to charge different prices for cash versus credit companies because of the different cost of serving those customers, but it really went nowhere. No one, not even gas stations, are taking advantage of this
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:13 pm

You may be right and VISA won't budge. My guess is that they will...at least a little.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby RedLeader » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Apple hits $1,000,000,000,000

Apple became the first U.S. publicly traded company to be valued at $1 trillion. The iconic tech company reached the milestone during intraday trading and quickly slipped back below that value. Analysts had been waiting for Apple to cross the threshold since it beat Wall Street expectations earlier this week on earnings per share and revenue. CEO Tim Cook has overseen a nearly quadrupling in value of the company’s shares since he took the helm of Apple in August 2011, when they traded at a split-adjusted $54 a share. Amazon, Alphabet and Microsoft are next in line to meet the $1 trillion mark with valuations in the $800 billion range.
RedLeader

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Those are crazy numbers.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby RedLeader » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Companies want China tariffs: Poll

Seventy-one percent of American business owners want Washington to impose more tariffs on China, even as almost half said that a trade war will hurt the U.S. economy, a UBS poll showed. The results may reflect greater U.S.-centricity on the part of business owners, along with the belief that their own companies may benefit, Axios writes.

>>Those believing a trade war would impact their businesses positively rose to 44% in July, up 21% from April.

>>Sixty-six percent want additional tariffs for Mexico; 64% want them for Europe, and 60% for Canada.

Five hundred and one high net-worth investors, plus 300 business owners across more than 20 industries with at least $250K in annual sales participated in the investment-banking company's poll.

Interesting...
RedLeader

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am

Business owers? Pfft! What do they know?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:52 am

A huge bank like UBS is one of the last people I'd trust...
deltbucs

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 am

There is no doubt that many American businesses and unions love protectionist policies.
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

RedLeader wrote:Companies want China tariffs: Poll

Seventy-one percent of American business owners want Washington to impose more tariffs on China, even as almost half said that a trade war will hurt the U.S. economy, a UBS poll showed. The results may reflect greater U.S.-centricity on the part of business owners, along with the belief that their own companies may benefit, Axios writes.

>>Those believing a trade war would impact their businesses positively rose to 44% in July, up 21% from April.

>>Sixty-six percent want additional tariffs for Mexico; 64% want them for Europe, and 60% for Canada.

Five hundred and one high net-worth investors, plus 300 business owners across more than 20 industries with at least $250K in annual sales participated in the investment-banking company's poll.

Interesting...

Some can see the future problem of having China as the top dog in the world.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:31 am

What is scary is its only some people.
mdb1958

Postby Onthebrink » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:37 pm

mdb1958 wrote:What is scary is its only some people.

How many Countries is China fighting again? Some people would say a Country that literally destabilizes countries that held democratic elections just because they thought about abandoning the US dollar is scary. The Floridians seem to think they know some **** about the rust belt. All the while factory jobs are still being outsourced. It doesn't help when those factories are paying a lot more for steal. Yes, companies like Trump's Tariff's. The ones that are gaining a profit. Jobs up north are disappearing. It doesn't effect y'all so **** em. Jesus Christ, over a thousand people have lost jobs in the last couple of years in my area. Yep, if it doesn't hurt you or people you know then it's kosher. The rust belt will remember that nothing changed.
Onthebrink

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:08 am

There is going to be a lot of pain to undo whats been done to this country. The whole damn country has turned into a redistribution center for other countries. The filthy rich and the other countries are reaping the rewards. The Chinese completely destroyed the American Automotive and Industrial heating and cooling industry, that and the fat cats cashing in on their last hurrah. Now China can sell to the money and the money can set their bloated prices to fatten their pockets. The consumer needs it so the consumer pays it.

In America, it is what it is. The consumer pays the price for everything. Higher wages? Yep! Higher prices.

Wipe out the middle class and it is just a small inconvenience for the rich to pay more while the poor are turned into slaves.
mdb1958

Postby RedLeader » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:07 pm

Sears is closing more stores

Sears Holdings will shutter 46 stores — 16 Kmart and 33 Sears branches — across the U.S. in November, the struggling retailer announced. Liquidation sales are expected to begin as early as next week. Sears has been "trimming its real estate footprint as sales dwindle" and has announced hundreds of store closures for this year. CEO Eddie Lampert has put forth an offer to buy the chain's Kenmore brand for $400 million.
RedLeader

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Amazon hits a trillion

Amazon on Tuesday became the second publicly traded U.S. company to be worth $1 trillion. The retail giant’s shares rose nearly 2% during morning trading to reach a high of $2,050.50. Amazon’s market value has since slipped below the symbolic $1 trillion mark, which Apple hit less than one month ago. Analysts cite Amazon’s diverse portfolio, which now includes Whole Foods and PillPack, as its value driver, reports CNBC.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:26 pm

And paid $0.00 in Federal income taxes.

Legally.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:And paid $0.00 in Federal income taxes.

Legally.

That's too much. Better give them a tax break so they can stay solvent.
bucfanclw

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion