Everything Business Thread

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Everything Business Thread

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:56 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:That's a very nice car. At that price you get into the German manufacturers too.....you consider any of them?

I haven't. But, man, I really like that car.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 pm

T-Mobile and Sprint just announced their $146 billion merger

Bellevue, Washington and Overland Park, Kansas – April 29, 2018 – T-Mobile US (NASDAQ: TMUS) and Sprint Corporation (NYSE: S) today announced they have entered into a definitive agreement to merge in an all-stock transaction at a fixed exchange ratio of 0.10256 T-Mobile shares for each Sprint share or the equivalent of 9.75 Sprint shares for each T-Mobile US share. Based on closing share prices on April 27, this represents a total implied enterprise value of approximately $59 billion for Sprint and approximately $146 billion for the combined company. The new company will have a strong closing balance sheet and a fully funded business plan with a strong foundation of secured investment grade debt at close.

The combined company will be named T-Mobile, and it will be a force for positive change in the U.S. wireless, video, and broadband industries. The combination of spectrum holdings, resulting network scale, and expected run rate cost synergies of $6+ billion, representing a net present value (NPV) of $43+ billion will supercharge T-Mobile’s Un-carrier strategy to disrupt the marketplace and lay the foundation for U.S. companies and innovators to lead in the 5G era.

The New T-Mobile will have the network capacity to rapidly create a nationwide 5G network with the breadth and depth needed to enable U.S. firms and entrepreneurs to continue to lead the world in the coming 5G era, as U.S. companies did in 4G. The new company will be able to light up a broad and deep 5G network faster than either company could separately. T-Mobile deployed nationwide LTE twice as fast as Verizon and three times faster than AT&T, and the combined company is positioned to do the same in 5G with deep spectrum assets and network capacity.

The combined company will have lower costs, greater economies of scale, and the resources to provide U.S. consumers and businesses with lower prices, better quality, unmatched value, and greater competition. The New T-Mobile will employ more people than both companies separately and create thousands of new American jobs.

{snip}

“This isn’t a case of going from 4 to 3 wireless companies – there are now at least 7 or 8 big competitors in this converging market. And in 5G, we’ll go from 0 to 1. Only the New T-Mobile will have the capacity to deliver real, nationwide 5G,” added Legere. “We’re confident that, once regulators see the compelling benefits, they’ll agree this is the right move at the right time for consumers and the country.”

In this rapidly converging marketplace, the new company will bring more choice and competition – for all consumers, including three key underserved areas:

* Rural communities. Rural Americans seldom have a choice of more than one or two wireless, broadband, or cable providers. The New T-Mobile will end that with increased reach and plans to open hundreds of new stores in rural communities, creating thousands of new jobs. Millions of Americans in rural communities will have more choice and competition, where they may have none today.

* Broadband. 51% of Americans have only one high-speed broadband option – no choice at all! The combined company will create a viable alternative for millions by enabling mobile connections that rival broadband, driving prices lower and improving service.

* Business and government wireless services. Today, Verizon and AT&T dominate this category with 4x more customers than Sprint and T-Mobile added together. With its assets and capabilities, the new company will unlock real competition for business and government customers.

Full story: http://bgr.com/2018/04/29/t-mobile-spri ... 6-billion/
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:46 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Ford is following the market trend, but they are a couple years behind with this move. They are moving into a much more competitive segment with well-established competitors... I don’t know if this will work out for them.

They led the US in sales in SUV (Explorer) and trucks (F series) were 4th with their crossover (Escape) from the numbers I saw. Are you talking about their electric vehicles? If so, I agree.

The way the market is sliced greatly affects the numbers. I’d actually guess you were looking at domestics if you saw Ford at number one, seeing as the Nissan Rogue has been the best-selling SUV for quite some time, and the CR-V and RAV4 each average about 100K units more than the Explorer. That’s not a huge surprise though, because many Ford SUV shoppers end up in trucks where they do dominate the market.
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:50 pm

NYBF wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

My favorite Subaru is the WRX.

As long as you are in the higher end side for each of their models they are really nice cars.

However, I think their base models have a really cheap fit out. I looked at Outback and Forrester about six years ago. The entry level ones were soul sapping, but the decked out ones were really good.

2019 base Forester has a lot added to it, especially as far as safety features go.

Forester is all-new this year on the global platform which debuted with the 2017 Impreza and continued with the 2018 Crosstrek. Forester. The brand new 3 row Ascent is also on the new platform this year, with Outback and Legacy getting the full refresh in 2020.

All base packages will come with some much improved standard technology, including on the 2019 Ascent and Forester, standard crash prevention technology.
Ken Carson

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
They led the US in sales in SUV (Explorer) and trucks (F series) were 4th with their crossover (Escape) from the numbers I saw. Are you talking about their electric vehicles? If so, I agree.

The way the market is sliced greatly affects the numbers. I’d actually guess you were looking at domestics if you saw Ford at number one, seeing as the Nissan Rogue has been the best-selling SUV for quite some time, and the CR-V and RAV4 each average about 100K units more than the Explorer. That’s not a huge surprise though, because many Ford SUV shoppers end up in trucks where they do dominate the market.

You would be correct, but none of those are SUVs. They are crossovers and compete with the escape.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The way the market is sliced greatly affects the numbers. I’d actually guess you were looking at domestics if you saw Ford at number one, seeing as the Nissan Rogue has been the best-selling SUV for quite some time, and the CR-V and RAV4 each average about 100K units more than the Explorer. That’s not a huge surprise though, because many Ford SUV shoppers end up in trucks where they do dominate the market.

You would be correct, but none of those are SUVs. They are crossovers and compete with the escape.

There's few true SUV's out there. Explorer technically falls into SUV category because it has a Ranger chassis and drive train. Same for the Edge if I'm not mistaken.

Escape, on the other hand is a small minivan wedged onto a Focus.

And while I'm here, dont bring the Ranger name back. Go for the nostalgia and call it the F-100. Make it the tougest and toughest looking small pickup and you'll have a challenge to the Tacoma.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Sand colored Tacomas are the new tapout shirt btw.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:18 pm

I’ve always liked the Ranger, but looking at the 2019 pics, I loathe the face of it...the grill is awful
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:20 pm

We need a car/vehicle thread. The last 20+ posts are among the best on this site!
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:53 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Sand colored Tacomas are the new tapout shirt btw.

I've noticed that.
The Outsider

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:54 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:The way the market is sliced greatly affects the numbers. I’d actually guess you were looking at domestics if you saw Ford at number one, seeing as the Nissan Rogue has been the best-selling SUV for quite some time, and the CR-V and RAV4 each average about 100K units more than the Explorer. That’s not a huge surprise though, because many Ford SUV shoppers end up in trucks where they do dominate the market.

I’ll preface this by saying I work in the automotive industry...

No one is using the term crossover anymore. It has been market-tested and performs poorly compared to SUV, so even the Subaru Crosstrek is classified as a “compact SUV,” while the Escape is a mid-size SUV. So, yes, the Explorer was the best selling full-size SUV, but that is also not as impressive when you consider that both VW and Subaru are now entering that segment after never being there prior to 2017.

Bottom line is that they are trying to win in the most competitive segment of the market. Currently, they are outpaced by Toyota, Honda and Nissan at the top of the segment, and Jeep has 3 nameplates in the top 12, while Subaru has 2 more, plus a rising player in Crosstrek and a new competitor for the Explorer in the Ascent.

The only way I see Ford increasing market share in the segment is by heavily incentivizing these vehicles (the Toyota and Nissan strategy). It’s short term, and unless they really crush it with the product, it’ll be a failure. This is especially true when Honda, Jeep and Subaru incentivize vehicles at about 1/3 the rate yet maintain or grow market share.
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:44 am

If anyone is interested in an old-school debate on the merits/dangers of fractional banking there is a really good one here: (it's very long though)

http://reason.com/reasontv/2018/04/27/f ... phy-selgin

It has lots of really good info on banking and the economy in general in addition to just the fractional banking -- economic growth, fiat money vs commodity money, etc.
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:02 am

Ken Carson wrote:
NYBF wrote:
2019 base Forester has a lot added to it, especially as far as safety features go.

Forester is all-new this year on the global platform which debuted with the 2017 Impreza and continued with the 2018 Crosstrek. Forester. The brand new 3 row Ascent is also on the new platform this year, with Outback and Legacy getting the full refresh in 2020.

All base packages will come with some much improved standard technology, including on the 2019 Ascent and Forester, standard crash prevention technology.

Do you work for Subaru? Can you please tell them to bring back the WRX hatch? Or at least the XT for the Forester?
NYBF

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:37 am

NYBF wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Forester is all-new this year on the global platform which debuted with the 2017 Impreza and continued with the 2018 Crosstrek. Forester. The brand new 3 row Ascent is also on the new platform this year, with Outback and Legacy getting the full refresh in 2020.

Do you work for Subaru? Can you please tell them to bring back the WRX hatch? Or at least the XT for the Forester?

I do.

And did you not see the Tourer concept vehicle? You never know...

XT is going away and may never return. We’ll see how the 2.4 Turbocharged engine on the Ascent does, and maybe that enters the Forester as an upgrade in future years.
Ken Carson

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am

Ken Carson wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I do.

XT is going away and may never return. We’ll see how the 2.4 Turbocharged engine on the Ascent does, and maybe that enters the Forester as an upgrade in future years.

My first car was an '86 Subaru brat... sadly the jump seats were long gone by the time I got it in 2002. I drunkenly agreed to buy it from a friend for $200 while at a party. I went to pick it up, and he had spray painted it yellow with red flames on the hood and racing numbers on the door. I kept it that way before selling it for $250 when I was transferred out of AK a year later.
Deja Entendu

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 am

Deja Entendu wrote:had spray painted it yellow with red flames on the hood and racing numbers on the door. .

That's awesome!!
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Wed May 02, 2018 8:58 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I do.

My first car was an '86 Subaru brat... sadly the jump seats were long gone by the time I got it in 2002. I drunkenly agreed to buy it from a friend for $200 while at a party. I went to pick it up, and he had spray painted it yellow with red flames on the hood and racing numbers on the door. I kept it that way before selling it for $250 when I was transferred out of AK a year later.

To be fair, I expect a lot of cars to look like that in AK.
deltbucs

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm

I know the left has mostly pooped on the tax bill that was recently passed lowering tax rates for corporations as well as many Americans. The poop was that corporations would throw the majority of the windfall into stock buybacks or give it to shareholders.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... k-buybacks

After months of heated debate over whether companies would hand the biggest tax break in three decades back to shareholders or reinvest it in their businesses, there’s finally some hard data.

Among the 130 companies in the S&P 500 that have reported results in this earnings season, capital spending increased by 39 percent, the fastest rate in seven years, data compiled by UBS AG show. Meanwhile, returns to shareholders are growing at a much slower pace, with net buybacks rising 16 percent. Dividends saw an 11 percent boost.

The data is a fresh rebuttal to those who warned that hundreds of billions of dollars of tax relief will head directly to the stock market and be harvested by shareholders already fattened by a nine-year bull market. While buybacks indeed got a boost from the windfall, companies increased the rate at which they unleash cash for building factories and upgrading equipment, a strategy that’s preferred by investors for the benefit of future growth.

My company is a good example of the cap-ex spending the article talks about. We're not huge by any stretch of the imagination ($250M sales). Anyway, we went from a pretty stagnant cap-ex expenditure of under $150K per year the last 8+ years to $500K as of the 1st 4 months of 2018 with another $300K-$500K planned before year end. We had been putting off upgrading our semi-trailer fleet for years due to a marginal cash flow position. When the tax cut was announced, the decision was made to make the trailer upgrades this year. Next up are a bunch of new forklifts as well as shipping pallet-wrap machines for all our warehouses. We're also back in the business of acquiring additional companies. We just bought a small HVAC sheet-metal fabrication business located in Raleigh & Wilmington, NC with an eye towards expanding back into the Florida & Tennessee markets. Exciting times.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for posting that article I hadn’t seen it yet.

It’s hard to argue the tax cuts arent being put to good use....one can argue on the fringe but not the majority. We have now seen pay raises and capital improvements ...both things that will help everyone in the economy. Obviously some (quite rightly) went back to shareholders but It certainly doesn’t seem like an exhorbitant amount.

My biggest issue with the tax cuts (individual and corporate) is they were not offset with cuts to gov’t waste.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Thanks for posting that article I hadn’t seen it yet.

It’s hard to argue the tax cuts arent being put to good use....one can argue on the fringe but not the majority. We have now seen pay raises and capital improvements ...both things that will help everyone in the economy. Obviously some (quite rightly) went back to shareholders but It certainly doesn’t seem like an exhorbitant amount.

My biggest issue with the tax cuts (individual and corporate) is they were not offset with cuts to gov’t waste.

Ditto on that last line. I'm holding onto hope that we see some cuts in the next fiscal budget that will help.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Honestly I don’t see either of the following happen

1. Republicans being honest and actually showing how much needs to be cut to be fiscally responsible

2. Democrats being honest and showing the real tax rates they need to adopt to be fiscally responsible

We won’t get either until we hit rock bottom and go bankrupt as a country. There aren’t many groups more dishonest than politicians
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Sad. But likely the truth of the matter. And it's our (voters) fault.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Stuart » Wed May 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:We need a car/vehicle thread. The last 20+ posts are among the best on this site!

I got an Rx-7\ SA 1980 project I'm working on that would start one up proper like.
Stuart

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 pm

More auto news -- what is the rubbish about putting a tariff on imported cars? Up to 25%?

It would be flipping disastrous....it would wreck a US auto industry that is actually quite strong right now.

Since 2011, US auto employment (final assembly and component production) is up 50%. US production of cars has doubled since 2008.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:34 pm

MB - this should please you a little bit -- Wells Fargo is closing many of its Midwest locations...they are completely pulling out of Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.

Aren't they on your list of the companies you want to break up?

Those locations are being bought out by Flagstar, a relatively small bank.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:MB - this should please you a little bit -- Wells Fargo is closing many of its Midwest locations...they are completely pulling out of Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.

Aren't they on your list of the companies you want to break up?

Those locations are being bought out by Flagstar, a relatively small bank.

Unfortunately it's not for reasons most would like. If the larger Banks can find another Bank to purchase their locations, they can pass the buck on lending to lower income areas. Previously, they were required a certain amount of "high risk" or lower income loans as part of their portfolio. This has been reduced. BoA and Wells are prospering from moves like that.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Are you saying my Rust Belt brethren are high risk?

#deadtome
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:More auto news -- what is the rubbish about putting a tariff on imported cars? Up to 25%?

It would be flipping disastrous....it would wreck a US auto industry that is actually quite strong right now.

Since 2011, US auto employment (final assembly and component production) is up 50%. US production of cars has doubled since 2008.

And the largest BMW plant in the world is in Spartanburg, SC. And Mercedes just opened up their new North American headquarters in Atlanta.

While I think the tariffs have been stupid in general and won't likely help us, that particular move would not only be strikingly stupid but also very likely disastrous.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am

I was reading an article on UPS. Without looking take a guess what their full time drivers average hourly wage is
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:57 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I was reading an article on UPS. Without looking take a guess what their full time drivers average hourly wage is

I remember hearing like 10+ years ago it being like $18, so my guess is $26? I know they make pretty decent money, but you just have to do your time working overnights in the warehouse before you can get promoted to being a driver.
deltbucs

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion