The Fourth Estate

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: The Fourth Estate

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:08 pm

SDBucs wrote:The issue, why we have Trump doing what he's doing, is that society had been convinced of Fox's right wing bias, but most saw/see the rest as center/neutral news.

That's nowhere near true. The amount of people on the left who trust Fox News is pretty much equal to the number of people on the right who trust CNN and friends. And, the amount of people on the left who trust Fox News is pretty much equal to the number of people on the right who trust CNN and friends.

You think they are the problem. They think you are the problem. You're both retards.
mightyleemoon

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:01 pm

So there was some BS in the news cycle around the 4th of July where Trump had tweeted out a gif of him from Wrestlemania a few years back where someone had photoshopped a CNN logo over Vince McMahon's head when Trump close-ligned McMahon.

CNN (along with some chicken littles here) overreacted and started whining how it promotes violence against journalists (Yes, CNN called themselves journalists).

So naturally the internet responded and has upped the ante with these gifs/vids to the point we have this beauty..

(PSA - This comedy folks, please don't get your panties in a bunch. Also, good to have the sound ON)

DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:58 pm

DreadNaught wrote:So there was some BS in the news cycle around the 4th of July where Trump had tweeted out a gif of him from Wrestlemania a few years back where someone had photoshopped a CNN logo over Vince McMahon's head when Trump close-ligned McMahon.

CNN (along with some chicken littles here) overreacted and started whining how it promotes violence against journalists (Yes, CNN called themselves journalists).

So naturally the internet responded and has upped the ante with these gifs/vids to the point we have this beauty..

(PSA - This comedy folks, please don't get your panties in a bunch. Also, good to have the sound ON)

You still seem bothered by that whole thing...
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Yes, traumatized. :roll:
DreadNaught

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:07 pm

The image of that video is pretty much proof that it would be a waste of however much time it would take to play it. the_donald type humor is pretty much always boring, bitter crying.
mightyleemoon

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:18 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:The image of that video is pretty much proof that it would be a waste of however much time it would take to play it. the_donald type humor is pretty much always boring, bitter crying.

Your loss. It's ****ing great.
Brazen331

Postby RedLeader » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:So there was some BS in the news cycle around the 4th of July where Trump had tweeted out a gif of him from Wrestlemania a few years back where someone had photoshopped a CNN logo over Vince McMahon's head when Trump close-ligned McMahon.

You still seem bothered by that whole thing...

This guy. Lol.
RedLeader

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:35 pm

RedLeader wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:You still seem bothered by that whole thing...

This guy. Lol.

Seriously. I'm not sure why he's still so hung up on CNN. Dude needs to just move on.
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 pm

We are in a thread specifically about media...should he rather talk about cooking?
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:We are in a thread specifically about media...should he rather talk about cooking?

That would make him seem less butthurt at least.
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:We are in a thread specifically about media...should he rather talk about cooking?

That would make him seem less butthurt at least.

You seem to be bothered by this whole thing
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:That would make him seem less butthurt at least.

You seem to be bothered by this whole thing

Another false equivalency...did I do it right?
HamBone

Postby Corsair » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Do you even know what an equivalency is?
Corsair

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:32 am

This will appear as another CNN jab here, but it's not. This morning I was flipping through the channels and on CNN they were talking about how Trump was hitting on Macron's wife and how sexist he is. This is an example of the opinion pieces that people get upset about when pointing to CNN's departure from being left center to left, but it was just an opinion of an on air personality. People need to separate this from what they think is being reported as news. The news is what he said, the rest is an opinion just like we are offering on this board.

For example I saw this situation and I am not a big Trump fan, but it's pretty obvious to me with her health problems and the way she actually looks he was just being nice by telling her how healthy she looks and that she was beautiful. I think the video shows Trump is a horribly awkward individual as well. Even though I think this is true and absolute from the facts that have been presented, should no one else be able to have a differing opinion?

It brings me to a question for those here;

Most of the disgust with the news is the opinions that they are providing, both from the left and right. There is some real fake news; like the "riots in Charleston" that never actually happened, but I think we all agree that is dangerous. With the amount of the population that is easily influenced and the weight of the opinions that are supposedly placed on "journalist", which I put in quotes because most of the people on news stations are entertainers, do you believe that news mediums should simply state facts and leave opinions out of it? If so, do you think that agencies such as CNN and Fox should care more about disseminating information than making profits and generating debates? If so, why?

Is it because they operate under the guise of the media?

On this board we have both sides at different times showing outrage about the slant the media attaches to a piece, myself included, but what is the solution? Why can't we just acknowledge that different "news" sources have agendas to make money?

Sorry...early morning thoughts.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 am

uscbucsfan wrote:This will appear as another CNN jab here, but it's not. This morning I was flipping through the channels and on CNN they were talking about how Trump was hitting on Macron's wife and how sexist he is. This is an example of the opinion pieces that people get upset about when pointing to CNN's departure from being left center to left, but it was just an opinion of an on air personality. People need to separate this from what they think is being reported as news. The news is what he said, the rest is an opinion just like we are offering on this board.

For example I saw this situation and I am not a big Trump fan, but it's pretty obvious to me with her health problems and the way she actually looks he was just being nice by telling her how healthy she looks and that she was beautiful. I think the video shows Trump is a horribly awkward individual as well. Even though I think this is true and absolute from the facts that have been presented, should no one else be able to have a differing opinion?

Most of the disgust with the news is the opinions that they are providing, both from the left and right. There is some real fake news; like the "riots in Charleston" that never actually happened, but I think we all agree that is dangerous. With the amount of the population that is easily influenced and the weight of the opinions that are supposedly placed on "journalist", which I put in quotes because most of the people on news stations are entertainers, do you believe that news mediums should simply state facts and leave opinions out of it? If so, do you think that agencies such as CNN and Fox should care more about disseminating information than making profits and generating debates? If so, why?

On this board we have both sides at different times showing outrage about the slant the media attaches to a piece, myself included, but what is the solution? Why can't we just acknowledge that different "news" sources have agendas to make money?

Excellent points. Those political slants are a big reason why I rarely watch any of the cable news networks. Maybe they aren't as bad now. I honestly don't know since I haven't been watching them for years now. For online political news, I frequently go to the allsides.com website. My only real issue with allsides is that they label CNN as being "news from the center" which I disagree with. I do, however, believe CNN news is more center-left than left.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:10 am

So basically we all seem to understand that different news outlets have different biases, except Trump and his acolytes that can't stop crying about CNN being "unfair" to him?
bucfanclw

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 am

bucfanclw wrote:So basically we all seem to understand that different news outlets have different biases, except Trump and his acolytes that can't stop crying about CNN being "unfair" to him?

I don't even know if the most ardent Trump supporter likes the stupid **** that comes out of Trump's mouth much of the time. Sometimes his attacks are ways to cover up other stuff going on, sometimes he's just being Trump. I think this thread as a whole is debating the quality and bias of the "news", not necessarily how dumb Trump can be.
uscbucsfan

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:26 am

bucfanclw wrote:So basically we all seem to understand that different news outlets have different biases, except Trump and his acolytes that can't stop crying about CNN being "unfair" to him?

Whats worse this or you crying because he is president?
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:39 am

uscbucsfan wrote:This will appear as another CNN jab here, but it's not. This morning I was flipping through the channels and on CNN they were talking about how Trump was hitting on Macron's wife and how sexist he is. This is an example of the opinion pieces that people get upset about when pointing to CNN's departure from being left center to left, but it was just an opinion of an on air personality. People need to separate this from what they think is being reported as news. The news is what he said, the rest is an opinion just like we are offering on this board.

The making money thing is about global prosperity - not US prosperity! You tell me, why can London put thirty miles of train tracks under London and we struggle to even start getting Americans going on rebuilding our infrastructure. Piddly roads and bridges - nothing fancy. If its fancy, you can bet it isnt coming to America.
mdb1958

Postby HamBone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am

Buc2 wrote:

Excellent points. Those political slants are a big reason why I rarely watch any of the cable news networks. Maybe they aren't as bad now. I honestly don't know since I haven't been watching them for years now. For online political news, I frequently go to the allsides.com website. My only real issue with allsides is that they label CNN as being "news from the center" which I disagree with. I do, however, believe CNN news is more center-left than left.

Never been to allsides...so, I went there and saw this

"AllSides Media Bias Ratings
Our patented bias rating system reflects the judgment of the American people.

It is not “accurate” – there is no such thing as an accurate measure of bias"

So, readers vote on their perception of bias that each news source has...not bashing the site, just found that interesting.
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:07 am

HamBone wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Excellent points. Those political slants are a big reason why I rarely watch any of the cable news networks. Maybe they aren't as bad now. I honestly don't know since I haven't been watching them for years now. For online political news, I frequently go to the allsides.com website. My only real issue with allsides is that they label CNN as being "news from the center" which I disagree with. I do, however, believe CNN news is more center-left than left.

So, readers vote on their perception of bias that each news source has...not bashing the site, just found that interesting.

Interesting and, for the most part (CNN not withstanding), accurate.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby HamBone » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 am

Buc2 wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Lol...even though they state there is no such thing as an accurate measure of bias?
HamBone

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 am

Buc2 wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Your not factoring in "brain no worky"...
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:14 am

Bias is often a measure of perspective. If enough people hold the same perspective, there is likely a spark of truth there. Not always, of course, as nothing is absolute.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:21 am

While I dint think there is a completely objective measure of bias, I think we can get pretty close. I think their ratings on L and R are pretty good but I have serious contentions with what they classify in the middle. While sites like BBC and 538 might be more centered than HuffPo and Breitbart, neither of those sites are unbiased or centered
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Alex Jones meets Bon Iver

PSA - This is comedy. Please if seeing Alex Jones triggers you please don't press pay.

DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:08 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Alex Jones meets Bon Iver

PSA - This is comedy. Please if seeing Alex Jones triggers you please don't press pay.

LMFAO
beardmcdoug

Postby Selmon Rules » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:51 pm

Buc2 wrote:Bias is often a measure of perspective. If enough people hold the same perspective, there is likely a spark of truth there. Not always, of course, as nothing is absolute.

By today's standards anyone with a viewpoint that doesn't match up to yours is considered bias. And not talking about anyone in particular, just sayin....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:38 pm

I happen to like the fake news and I can't be the only one. If you don't like the term, then let's be more accurate and call this era what it actually is: The Golden Age of Yellow Journalism.

Unlike the beginning of the previous century, we now have multiple William Randolph Hearsts, CNN, Fox and MSNBC are just a few examples. It's entertainment guys, just enjoy the ride.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Brazen331 wrote:I happen to like the fake news and I can't be the only one. If you don't like the term, then let's be more accurate and call this era what it actually is: The Golden Age of Yellow Journalism.

Unlike the beginning of the previous century, we now have multiple William Randolph Hearsts, CNN, Fox and MSNBC are just a few examples. It's entertainment guys, just enjoy the ride.

No thanks.

Even my local paper is into clickbait.

"Top 10 mugshots from this weekend. You won't believe #7!"
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion