Donald Trump vs North Korea

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Donald Trump vs North Korea

Postby The Outsider » Fri May 11, 2018 3:07 pm

What a pair of turds.
The Outsider

Postby mdb1958 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Alpha wrote:
The Trump Administration's domestic AND foreign policy is simply to UNDO ANYTHING that the Obama administration did.

Not surprising. This IS the platform he ran on. He's doing EXACTLY what he said he would do.

This is what you people voted for. You reap what you sew.

Best of luck.

Sinners sow. They also reap. Seamstresses sew.
mdb1958

Postby The Outsider » Fri May 11, 2018 4:54 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Sinners sow. They also reap. Seamstresses sew.

Thanks, mdb!
The Outsider

Postby mdb1958 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm

The Outsider wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

Thanks, mdb!

I'm analyzing whether or not I sowed anything in the production of that post. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry I felt the need to correct you Ken. If it bothered you.
mdb1958

Postby The Outsider » Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
Thanks, mdb!

I'm analyzing whether or not I sowed anything in the production of that post. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm sorry I felt the need to correct you Ken. If it bothered you.

:lol: :lol:
The Outsider

Postby NavyBuc » Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 am

This is one instance where having a lunatic leader in Trump actually payed off. He scared the crap out of Kim Jong Un (and sanctions hurt them pretty bad, too). All these Presidents that were scared to death to touch the North Korea issue, and it's Trump who actually ends up getting them to de-nuke.

Now, of course, this is temporary. Un is a young guy. He'll still be in charge 30 years down the road. When America elects another softball like Obama, he'll go right back to stepping up his nuke program. But at least in the short term, we've avoided a major war that could have brewed with NK.
NavyBuc

Postby Pirate Life » Sat May 12, 2018 12:16 pm

NavyBuc wrote:This is one instance where having a lunatic leader in Trump actually payed off. He scared the crap out of Kim Jong Un (and sanctions hurt them pretty bad, too). All these Presidents that were scared to death to touch the North Korea issue, and it's Trump who actually ends up getting them to de-nuke.

Now, of course, this is temporary. Un is a young guy. He'll still be in charge 30 years down the road. When America elects another softball like Obama, he'll go right back to stepping up his nuke program. But at least in the short term, we've avoided a major war that could have brewed with NK.

This is suspect at best. NK has a history of talking disarmament, ending the war and denuclearizing. It's a pattern with them, rattle the sabers, get some cash and influx of food, go quiet for a couple of years before doing it again.

Having their nuclear testing area collapse is more likely the reason for talking about giving up nuclear weapons than Trump 'scaring' Kim. Only thing Trump's done that's different is offer to talk to NK with the President at the table without any preconditions (something Obama got roasted over the coals for suggesting in his time in office).
Pirate Life

Postby RedLeader » Sat May 12, 2018 7:19 pm

A good read for those who are skeptical. Rightfully so, I admit, but perhaps things arent as simple this time...

“Their impending dialogue notwithstanding, mistrust between the United States and North Korea still runs deep...

But the new generation of North Korean leaders, the unique political profile of U.S. President Donald Trump and the advanced state of Pyongyang's nuclear program leave an opportunity (however slim) for a different outcome.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stratfor/2 ... b6dee26799
RedLeader

Postby RedLeader » Sat May 12, 2018 7:39 pm

“Surprise delays, unexpected calls or trips back to North Korea for further instruction, and a general attempt to draw the other party into interminable side discussions and diplomatic minutiae to delay resolution characterize Pyongyang's typical negotiating style. A meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump will eliminate the utility of most of these tactics, offering a chance for more direct dialogue to resolve sticky issues.“...
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 12, 2018 8:31 pm

RedLeader wrote:“Surprise delays, unexpected calls or trips back to North Korea for further instruction, and a general attempt to draw the other party into interminable side discussions and diplomatic minutiae to delay resolution characterize Pyongyang's typical negotiating style. A meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump will eliminate the utility of most of these tactics, offering a chance for more direct dialogue to resolve sticky issues.“...

What are they gonna do? Lock them in a trunk of a car?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Sun May 13, 2018 12:55 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
RedLeader wrote:“Surprise delays, unexpected calls or trips back to North Korea for further instruction, and a general attempt to draw the other party into interminable side discussions and diplomatic minutiae to delay resolution characterize Pyongyang's typical negotiating style. A meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump will eliminate the utility of most of these tactics, offering a chance for more direct dialogue to resolve sticky issues.“...

What are they gonna do? Lock them in a trunk of a car?

RedLeader

Postby Alpha » Sun May 13, 2018 11:49 pm

Everyone has seen NK play this game before. And if you don't think they'll break a "diplomatic agreement", then you're not a fan of history.

UNTIL something SUBSTANTIAL can be verified OVER TIME...nothing to see here. I know the fans of the Trumpster want to herald this (pending) agreemnet as something "special"...call me old fashioned...but I'll take a healthy dose of "wait and see".

And I know you people don't really mind this aspect of it...but what are we really doing by granting him "regime security"? That doesn't bother you people at all?

Meh...maybe it's just me...

Never mind...our committments don't mean anything, anyway.

It's all good.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Tue May 15, 2018 2:22 pm

bucfanclw

Postby deltbucs » Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm

deltbucs

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm

We'll see if Kim actually cancels. It wouldn't be a surprise if he did, but if his goal was to get the United States to the negotiating table like the critics have proclaimed than it's odd he would cancel the meeting. Not buying the 'military exercise" excuse.

But if he does, he does. Thanks for releasing our 3 prisoners. We'll continue with the sanctions and further crippling the NK economy.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 pm

bucfanclw

Postby RedLeader » Tue May 15, 2018 3:17 pm

bucfanclw wrote:

HA!

Lol.
RedLeader

Postby Alpha » Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 am

RedLeader wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:HA!

Lol.

It's always funny...until the NK's pull the rug out from under the Trumpster...and he falls on his fat ass.

Fake News.

I'm sure the NK's are for real. This time.

Picture The Trumpster as Charlie Brown...and Kim as Peppermint Patty yanking the football away from him, as he's about to kick it.
Alpha

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 am

Alpha wrote:
RedLeader wrote:
Lol.

It's always funny...until the NK's pull the rug out from under the Trumpster...and he falls on his fat ass.

Fake News.

I'm sure the NK's are for real. This time.

Picture The Trumpster as Charlie Brown...and Kim as Peppermint Patty yanking the football away from him, as he's about to kick it.

That was Lucy Van Pelt, you Commie bastard!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 am

DreadNaught wrote:

We'll see if Kim actually cancels. It wouldn't be a surprise if he did, but if his goal was to get the United States to the negotiating table like the critics have proclaimed than it's odd he would cancel the meeting. Not buying the 'military exercise" excuse.

But if he does, he does. Thanks for releasing our 3 prisoners. We'll continue with the sanctions and further crippling the NK economy.

Another take...
We knew Kim would have to posture some to look strong. It's all part of the dance. Trump has already said he'll walk away if he doesn't get a deal he wants too. You know how to fix this? Let the exercises conclude as planned.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 am

So is Kim threatening to potentially cancel the meeting w/ the US bad or good?

I've seen criticism here and elsewhere that Trump even potentially meeting w/ Kim was going to be bad for the US since Kim had conned his way into getting Trump to the negotiating table. Now that their is potential they won't meet it seems that bad also?

Fwiw I think the meeting will still take place as scheduled, but let's say it doesn't for the sake of argument. Then we're back to where we were w/ economic sanctions and working w/ China to pressure NK. Wasn't that the same policy for that last few decades that people seemed to be ok with? We haven't conceded anything and got 3 of our own citizens back to this point, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Wed May 16, 2018 8:23 am

DreadNaught wrote:I've seen criticism here and elsewhere that Trump even potentially meeting w/ Kim was going to be bad for the US since Kim had conned his way into getting Trump to the negotiating table.

Who said that?
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 16, 2018 8:23 am

I am always a fan of talking...wether it be NK, Iran, Russia, etc

I hope the talks move forward.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 am

bucfanclw wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I've seen criticism here and elsewhere that Trump even potentially meeting w/ Kim was going to be bad for the US since Kim had conned his way into getting Trump to the negotiating table.

Who said that?

I've seen this talking point mention in articles and here;

Pirate Life wrote:They completed the mission of building a working nuclear arsenal (even with only a few bombs/warheads) and in bringing the US President to the negotiating table.

I don't believe that most people think dialogue is a bad thing. Talking/diplomacy is better that military action imo and I think/hope most would agree.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 am

DreadNaught wrote:I don't believe that most people think dialogue is a bad thing. Talking/diplomacy is better that military action imo and I think/hope most would agree.

Of course it is. That's why I'm wondering who you saw being hypocritical about it just to bash Trump, because I haven't seen that.
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 am

DreadNaught wrote:I don't believe that most people think dialogue is a bad thing. Talking/diplomacy is better that military action imo and I think/hope most would agree.

I don’t think many nowadays believe talking is a bad thing but that certainly was a commonly held belief not too long ago. People would drone on and on about how meeting brutal and rogue foreign dictators gave legitimacy to their governments
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

I don’t think many nowadays believe talking is a bad thing but that certainly was a commonly held belief not too long ago. People would drone on and on about how meeting brutal and rogue foreign dictators gave legitimacy to their governments

Weird. I wonder what changed for those people?
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 16, 2018 8:39 am

The Fall of the Berlin Wall and Perestroika
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 am

Zarniwoop wrote:The Fall of the Berlin Wall and Perestroika

I'm thinking he was thinking it would have more recent roots. Much more recent. heh
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion