Donald Trump vs North Korea

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Donald Trump vs North Korea

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:I don't know... if they can give it to Obama for doing nothing, I don't know what would stop them from giving one to Trump.

Obama basically won the prize for his Cairo speech. Do we give one to Trump for tweeting?

Was that really the reason? I have a hard time believing that if Obama’s father was born in Iceland instead of Kenya, that giving a speech in Cairo would be deemed a Nobel-Prize-Winning accomplishment.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 am

deltbucs wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

Please post where I’ve given Trump ANY credit , you dolt. Lol.

As opposed to you willing to give him absolutely NO credit.

But it doesnt ****ing matter what credit you and I give it, does it? I posted a link to someone who’s opinion should absolutely matter, and you just shot it down.

You are a joke.

Delt, if you still dont know what ‘team’ you’re on.. look above.

What team am I on every time I bash Obama or Hillary or any other dem, Curly?

Now that's just bullshit, right there...

I thought he was Shemp?

Sonofabitch...
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Not yet verified, but Newsweek and some other outlets are reporting that North Korea has released all U.S. detainees at the request of President Trump.

http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-allegedly-released-us-prisoners-ahead-landmark-meeting-trump-908695

Ahead of landmark talks with President Donald Trump, North Korea has allegedly released three U.S. prisoners who were being held for years in a labor camp.

Kim Dong-chul, Kim Sang-duk and Kim Hak-song are three U.S. citizens who were arrested in North Korea last year and accused of “hostile acts.” All three have been held ever since in one of the rogue regime’s notorious labor camps. But now multiple media reports have claimed that the three men were released from the camp and brought to receive medical treatment in North Korea’s capital, Pyongyang. It is unclear if and when they will be returned to the U.S.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm

If true, that is fantastic news.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Indeed. Hopefully they survive the plane ride home this time.
RedLeader

Postby Alpha » Thu May 03, 2018 12:12 am

So...are we ALL agreed that "Newsweek" is "real" news?

I want it on the record here because I know you Trumpsters will come back later and claim it's "fake news". Just like your Dear Leader.

Enough of the Drumph bullshit. Is Newsweek REAL or FAKE?

C'mon Stooges...let's hear where you stand!
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu May 03, 2018 12:14 am

Granted...it's not Fox "news"...which is CLEARLY "real" news...but Newsweek is pretty solid...right?
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 am

Newsweek isn’t as Leftist as say Mother Jones or Rolling Stone but it’s definitely more biased than a publication like Time. I would say Newsweek is to the Left what the National Review is to the Right. But what does media bias have to do with North Korea?
Brazen331

Postby RedLeader » Thu May 03, 2018 8:21 am

What do you get when you mix a little vodka with your Metamucil?

A regular drunk.
RedLeader

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 am

Alpha wrote:So...are we ALL agreed that "Newsweek" is "real" news?

I want it on the record here because I know you Trumpsters will come back later and claim it's "fake news". Just like your Dear Leader.

Enough of the Drumph bullshit. Is Newsweek REAL or FAKE?

This is a Trump thread and Newsweek isn't the only one reporting this. All news is spun to fit an agenda/narrative these days. Strictly fact based news reporting doesn't exist in 2018 on a national level. Everything out there is trying to guide it's readers to a certain viewpoint.
DreadNaught

Postby RedLeader » Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 am

RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 03, 2018 10:14 am

similar meme was already used
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 pm

That’s two demerits.
Rocker

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Rocker wrote:That’s two demerits.

Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 pm

That's badass.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm having PTSD induced flashbacks from that picture.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:41 am

Pretty decent peace on Korean peace posted in Business Insider today. While it is an opinion piece, the writer acknowledges that caution is needed and that no actual peace points have yet happened and may not happen. Still, it is an optimistic view that I share. For now.

Trump is winning and heads are spinning as North Korea talks get off to a running start
Alex Lockie
Opinion

* President Donald Trump might just pull out a win on North Korea.AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
* President Donald Trump has emerged from a year on the brink of nuclear war with North Korea with a prospective peace deal.
* China and Japan appear to be struggling to keep up with the progress and promises being made in the Koreas.
* But North Korea's progress has been all talk up to now, and nobody can honestly say whether they're sincere.
* Having announced an end to testing nuclear devices and ballistic missiles, North Korea can now pursue a different kind of relationship with the outside world.
* If it happens on Trump's watch, it will likely count as a big win.

President Donald Trump has emerged from a year on the brink of nuclear war with North Korea with a prospective, unprecedented meeting with its leader Kim Jong Un on the books, renewed hopes of peace, and Nobel Peace Prize buzz.

Put bluntly, the reversal in North Korea's attitude towards the US represents one of the most stunning turns in politics since Trump scored a tremendous upset to win the 2016 presidential election.

So far, North Korea has repeatedly promised it will denuclearize, and has invited the US and South Korea to observe part of that promise. North Korea hasn't asked for the US to do anything in exchange besides agree not to invade them.

When a Trump administration official called for US detainees in North Korea to be released as a sign of Pyongyang's sincerity, days later reports emerged that Kim had allowed just that.

All of these developments are so far only talk and plans. But they represent big wins for Trump's stated aims: peace and denuclearization.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in has credited Trump with creating the atmosphere necessary for an inter-Korean summit. North Korea expert John Delury wrote at 38 North that this has "put diplomacy on the Korean Peninsula off to a very good start."

Heads are starting to spin

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un toasts with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing, as he paid an unofficial visit to China, in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang March 28,2018. KCNA/via Reuters
A snap meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and Kim just weeks after Trump accepted an offer to meet with Kim indicates that China may be struggling to insert itself into a dialogue that seems to put US concerns first.

China wants the US military out of South Korea. The presence of nearly 30,000 US troops near its borders troubles China, which feels the US is trying to contain it.

The US's missile defenses in South Korea also have radars that can see deep into Chinese territory, and which China fears could hobble it in a nuclear war with the US, thereby making it an existential threat.

But neither North Korea nor South Korea has pushed for the US to leave the Korean Peninsula. In fact, if North Korea seriously goes through with verifiable denuclearization, a US or UN military presence could creep even closer to China above the 38th parallel.

Japan is also scrambling to set up a meeting with Kim, thought thus far it has been denied. Instead, Japan will meet with South Korea and China to lobby them to insert their interests into the negotiations as the Koreas speed on without them.

A word of warning

Trump's North Korea policy is going pretty well, so far. But North Korea has made many of the exact promises it has made in previous negotiations, only to back out again and double down on its nuclear ambitions.

All of the progress made so far on peace in the Koreas has been talk, occurring at a rapid pace. There's laughter, hand-holding, and promises by the plenty, but not a single screw loosened on a weapon of mass destruction.

Trump sailed through the niceties, but has not yet hit the concrete work of denuclearizing, which experts nearly unanimously think will be very difficult.

In fact, Jeffrey Lewis, the go-to expert on North Korea for CNN, The New York Times, and often Business Insider, recently wrote an article in Foreign Policy called "Optimism About Korea Will Kill Us All."

In the piece, he argues that expectations have been set too high for the Trump-Kim summit, and could eventually lead to disappointment, and then a war in which we all die.

But both Moon and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo continue to affirm Kim's commitment to denuclearization, likely knowing fully the risks that shattered expectations would bring.

Reason for hope, not hype

North Korea recently announced that it's done with its nuclear weapons program. After successfully testing an intercontinental-range ballistic missile and what experts describe as a thermonuclear bomb, it has called for an end to testing.

Nuclear and ICBM tests prompted many of the recent, heavy sanctions placed on North Korea. The tests served as a major irritant in the US, South Korea, Japan, and even China's relationship with Pyongyang.

Now that North Korea has credibly built nuclear missiles that it and much of the world can confidently say will work enough of the time to matter, it doesn't have to do tests anymore.

Having ditched its most annoying habit — nuclear detonations and missile launches — North Korea can now pursue a different relationship with its neighbors and former foes, who will no longer have to respond to shocking media stories about the scary, defiant launches.

Even if North Korea only stops testing and maintains some residual, secretive nuclear capability while talking to and pursuing peace with the outside world, that's a big win for Trump's presidency, as he would have secured a unique and positive result from his unorthodox approach to the conflict.

North Korea's peace push and promises have by no means eliminated the possibility of nuclear war on the peninsula, but then again, nothing can ever guarantee that war in Korea definitely won't happen.

But under Trump's watch, Pyongyang has moved to delay war, and in a world where war is always possible, delays might be as good as it gets.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Pirate Life » Sat May 05, 2018 2:27 pm

While I am hopeful (I hope to be able to go to the Chosin Reservoir one day to bring a portion of my dad's ashes), this is not unprecedented in NK/SK relations. In fact, it looks a lot like the other peace overtures from NK in the past. Severe economic trouble/food shortages in the North, they rattle the sabers for a bit and then come to the table to talk about peace/disarming. They get some food and maybe some financial help (easing of sanctions, investment from the south, etc) but never actually manage to come to an agreement. Not even the first time the leaders of the two countries have met to talk peace or that North Korea has offered to denuclearize.

Heck, not even the first time the Nobel Peace Prize has been talked about in relation to the attempts to end the war and reunify the peninsula. Kim Dae-jung won it back in 2000 for his efforts to bring peace to the region.

1971, 1972, 1983, 1985, 1991, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2007, and now 2018. All years where NK/SK had talks to end the war - with plans made to end the war discussed and in a couple of cases signed by both sides. Sometimes efforts were derailed by the North, others by the South and still others by other countries like China and the US.

This really has to be taken with a large, large dose of salt.
Pirate Life

Postby Alpha » Sun May 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Pirate Life wrote:While I am hopeful (I hope to be able to go to the Chosin Reservoir one day to bring a portion of my dad's ashes), this is not unprecedented in NK/SK relations. In fact, it looks a lot like the other peace overtures from NK in the past.

This really has to be taken with a large, large dose of salt.

My old man missed Korea...but was in Vietnam.

Personally...I would LOVE to see a LEGIT deal with N. Korea.

As you've said...we've seen this movie before. We ALL know how it ends.

And UNTIL something VERIFIABLY different happens?

Nothing to see here...
Alpha

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Oh man, us pulling out of the Iran deal over literally nothing. Kim would be an idiot to sign anything the US puts in front of him.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm

The Outsider wrote:Oh man, us pulling out of the Iran deal over literally nothing. Kim would be an idiot to sign anything the US puts in front of him.

I don’t see this as a reason for North Korea not to engage in negotiations. This is what happens when presidents sign “pretend” treaties rather than using Congress and entering into formal ones. Every subsequent president can switch positions.

That being said, if I was a world leader, and signed anything with Trump, I would immediately assume he won’t stick to his word...he rarely has. If I was a foreign diplomat, For me to take US negotiations seriously, I would demand congressional intervention
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Oh man, us pulling out of the Iran deal over literally nothing. Kim would be an idiot to sign anything the US puts in front of him.

I don’t see this as a reason for North Korea not to engage in negotiations. This is what happens when presidents sign “pretend” treaties rather than using Congress and entering into formal ones. Every subsequent president can switch positions.

That being said, if I was a world leader, and signed anything with Trump, I would immediately assume he won’t stick to his word...he rarely has. If I was a foreign diplomat, For me to take US negotiations seriously, I would demand congressional intervention

I get where you're coming from but Congress did have a say on it. Maybe not in the way that you'd like but the Democrats did what they had to do to ensure the Republicans, who at the time were blocking anything Obama tried to do, couldn't block a really good diplomatic deal.

I can say on a factual basis that this is the strictest nuclear oversight program that exists. There was no reason for pulling out of it other than either a gross misunderstanding of the situation or spite.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue May 08, 2018 7:31 pm

I'm gonna go with gross misunderstanding.

Competence is not exactly this administration's watchword.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Alpha » Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 am

The Trump Administration's domestic AND foreign policy is simply to UNDO ANYTHING that the Obama administration did.

Not surprising. This IS the platform he ran on. He's doing EXACTLY what he said he would do.

This is what you people voted for. You reap what you sew.

Best of luck.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed May 09, 2018 12:57 am

And FEW R's in congress have the sack to tell Drumph to go **** himself.

Paul Ryan is still looking for his testicles. Being Drumph's bitch suits him.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:01 am

Alpha wrote:

The Trump Administration's domestic AND foreign policy is simply to UNDO ANYTHING that the Obama administration did.

Not surprising. This IS the platform he ran on. He's doing EXACTLY what he said he would do.

Best of luck.

Given how much the things Obama did sucked ass, we must be reaping a bountiful harvest then.
Brazen331

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed May 09, 2018 7:53 am

Three Americans that had been imprisoned are coming back to the US
Zarniwoop

Postby RedLeader » Wed May 09, 2018 8:14 am

RedLeader

Postby Ken Carson » Wed May 09, 2018 9:23 am

Alpha wrote:

Best of luck.

Farmers sow. They also reap. Seamstresses sew.
Ken Carson

Postby RedLeader » Wed May 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Pompeo/Kim seem to be getting chummier...

RedLeader

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion