Donald Trump vs North Korea

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Donald Trump vs North Korea

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:24 pm

My .02:

All this saber rattling is fine and necessary. Kim Jong Un talks ****. We need to talk **** to him back so we don't look like *******. We are still holding onto pax americana by a pussyhair, and we need to keep it like that

As a few have said here, it's hard to imagine NK swinging first. And that plays into our hands.

The USA's move is no move. We just stand back and talk **** and let time do its thing. We don't need to up the ante with some crazy sanctions, or military action, just sit back. (and maybe pressure china to stop supporting, but nothing over the top)

The key here is culture. NK is so starkly different, culture-wise than the rest of the world, and that gap is going to work in our favor. Over the past several years, NK citizens have gotten more and more clever at sneaking USA/outside culture (movies, books, TV shows,etc) into NK. The "culture wall" is leaking like a sieve and will only get worse for the NK government. When NK citizens are shown what the rest of the world is like, the freedoms we have, the high quality entertainment, the economic opportunities, it is going to eat at the citizens. It already has start to eat at them. This spread of USA culture into NK is inevitable. You simply cannot stop it at this point in time. The gap between what these NK people will be watching, and what they will be living will be enough to eventually push them into revolt mode, which will destabilize the country and government, and the NK problem will be solved for us. Their only option will be to assimilate or jump off the deep end and swing first, which is assured death. They will assimilate. They will be a mini (and I mean mini) neutered China by 2050.

So our move is just to sit back and let NK eat itself from the inside. It's fool-proof. They either lose the long-game culture war, in which they a)adapt their government and rejoin the negotiation table, or b) experience a revolution from their citizens.... or they get desperate and swing first, give us casus belli and then we wipe them off the map and nobody can blame us.
beardmcdoug

Postby NavyBuc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Most any missile NKO shoots off is going to get shot down. The main concern would be South Korea and whether those would get shot down. But if they ever went after South Korea, then the U.S. would unleash hell on them.

It's funny to hear Kim talk tough and say they would destroy us. How? With what air power? They brag about these missiles coming at us but they would get shot down in a couple minutes. It takes 30 minutes to get here.

I don't agree with Trump on a lot of things, but I do agree with the rhetoric he's using right now. He needs to talk tough with Korea and warn them and be ready to hit them if need be. It's better if Korea makes the first move because the whole world would come down on them, not just the U.S.....and the first move would fail. But Korea has been ignored way too long. Obama and Bush ignored him. Clinton talked just as tough as Trump has but then ignored them. This is like letting a tooth rot for so long and ignoring going to the dentist. Let it go long enough and eventually it's going to be so painful you have to take care of it.

My personal prediction is there's going to be war of some kind. I don't think it'll get nuclear. But I do think Kim is going to blink first and shoot off a missile that is going to narrowly miss a country, whether it's Korea or Guam, and it's going to prompt Trump to fire back and not narrowly miss. I think there's no shot of diplomacy. I do know for a fact that the U.S. is getting ready for the worst case. Ship activity is the highest I've ever seen since I've been in the Navy.
NavyBuc

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:39 pm

NavyBuc wrote:Most any missile NKO shoots off is going to get shot down. The main concern would be South Korea and whether those would get shot down. But if they ever went after South Korea, then the U.S. would unleash hell on them.

It's funny to hear Kim talk tough and say they would destroy us. How? With what air power? They brag about these missiles coming at us but they would get shot down in a couple minutes. It takes 30 minutes to get here.

I don't agree with Trump on a lot of things, but I do agree with the rhetoric he's using right now. He needs to talk tough with Korea and warn them and be ready to hit them if need be. It's better if Korea makes the first move because the whole world would come down on them, not just the U.S.....and the first move would fail. But Korea has been ignored way too long. Obama and Bush ignored him. Clinton talked just as tough as Trump has but then ignored them. This is like letting a tooth rot for so long and ignoring going to the dentist. Let it go long enough and eventually it's going to be so painful you have to take care of it.

My personal prediction is there's going to be war of some kind. I don't think it'll get nuclear. But I do think Kim is going to blink first and shoot off a missile that is going to narrowly miss a country, whether it's Korea or Guam, and it's going to prompt Trump to fire back and not narrowly miss. I think there's no shot of diplomacy. I do know for a fact that the U.S. is getting ready for the worst case. Ship activity is the highest I've ever seen since I've been in the Navy.

I'm not so sure of that - the success rate of our missile-kill defense systems recently tested at about 55% - which, if you consider that NK would probably fire off a barrage, and include dummies in that barrage, it might not be guaranteed that one or two don't make it...

I agree with your concern about SK - they'd get fucked in the butt in any war scenario, and considering what a regional ally they are to us, I think that's gotta be one of our top concerns
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:43 pm

So long as numbnuts in the north doesn't send a nuke their way, I wouldn't underestimate SK's ability to fight for itself.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Buc2 wrote:So long as numbnuts in the north doesn't send a nuke their way, I wouldn't underestimate SK's ability to fight for itself.

SK has an army of pretty tough hombres from what I've heard, but that doesn't negate the damage NK could do to SK in a conventional battle let alone a nuclear one.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=north-korea

For example, NK has some five thousand fixed, towed, and self propelled artillery along the DMZ. You drop the first JDAM and they start shelling Seoul and Camp Humphreys at a rate of a ten thousand rounds a minute killing tens of thousands of Koreans and US Military in the first few hours. Add the 5,000 tanks to the target mix and it would take a combined military effort to fight off this onslaught and retake the initiative. It's akin to NK holding a gun to Seoul's head and daring us to make a move.

It would ultimately, IMO be a successful campaign for us, but it would take so long to decimate their military capability to attack civillians that the victory would be at an enormous cost of life.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 pm

From Trump's phone call with Guam governor.

Corsair

Postby WalterGronkite » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Probably should investigate this Guam and DT collusion.
WalterGronkite

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Not surprised this went over your head.

The soft skulls are out tonight.
Corsair

Postby WalterGronkite » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:12 pm

explain to me what you are thinking in that crazy head of yours.
WalterGronkite

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:05 am

Trump needs to speak softly.
real bucs fan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 pm

I find it irksome that China had to step in and be the adult in the room. I'm glad they did, but it shouldn't have to be that way. we just happen to have a President who colossally sucks at being President.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/china-north-korea-us-mattis-tillerson/index.html
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I find it irksome that China had to step in and be the adult in the room. I'm glad they did, but it shouldn't have to be that way. we just happen to have a President who colossally sucks at being President.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/china-north-korea-us-mattis-tillerson/index.html

One word: sanctions

This is China basically driving up to NK's house in an Ice Cream truck and telling them to stop 'playing with their emotions'.. if you know what I mean.
RedLeader

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion