Airstrikes Launched in Syria: 4/6/17

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Airstrikes Launched in Syria: 4/6/17

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:16 pm

I thought he was a non-interventionist?
Corsair

Re: Airstrikes Launched in Syria: 4/6/17

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 pm

US military has launched more than 50 missiles aimed at Syria: NBC News

The U.S. military has launched more than 50 missiles aimed at Syria, NBC News reported.

Earlier Thursday, Reuters reported that a British diplomat had said the United Nations Security Council would not vote on Thursday on a draft resolution to condemn a deadly gas attack on Tuesday in a rebel-held area of northern Syria, but will continue negotiations.

Russia's deputy U.N. envoy, Vladimir Safronkov, warned that day of "negative consequences" if the U.S. carried out military strikes on Syria over the attack.

"We have to think about negative consequences, negative consequences, and all the responsibility if military action occurred will be on shoulders of those who initiated such doubtful and tragic enterprise," Safronkov told reporters when asked about possible U.S. strikes, adding that such consequences could be seen in Iraq and Libya.

Western countries have blamed President Bashar al-Assad's armed forces for Tuesday's attack in the town of Khan Sheikhoun in a rebel-held area of northern Syria hit by government air strikes. Syria's government has denied responsibility.

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio appeared to be tweeting about an American offensive action in Syria, posting at 8:44 p.m. ET, "'Be sure of this: The wicked will not go unpunished' Proverbs 11:21 # SyriaChemicalAttack"

The United States, Britain and France proposed a draft U.N. resolution on Tuesday to condemn the attack and press Syria to cooperate with international investigators. Russia said the text was unacceptable and proposed a rival draft.

In February, Syrian ally Russia, backed by China, cast its seventh veto to protect Assad's government from council action, blocking a bid by Western powers to impose sanctions over accusations of chemical weapons attacks. China has vetoed six resolutions on Syria.

A Security Council resolution needs nine votes in favor and no vetoes by the United States, Britain, France, Russia or China to pass.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

—Reuters contributed to this report.
Corsair

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Terrible terrible terrible.
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:32 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Terrible terrible terrible.

^
Zarniwoop

Postby RedLeader » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Corsair wrote:I thought he was a non-interventionist?

Good god, man... You couldn't even start the thread without making it all about your boy Trump first?
RedLeader

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:18 pm

RedLeader wrote:
Corsair wrote:I thought he was a non-interventionist?

Good god, man... You couldn't even start the thread without making it all about your boy Trump first?

If you have another angle, present it.

Stop complaining and be the change you want to see.
Corsair

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Corsair wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

If you have another angle, present it.

It's both sides. Obama was doing the same ****. Why not just be against all of it?

It's ****ing stupid.
uscbucsfan

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Corsair

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Corsair wrote:Image

Right, both sides are wrong about this.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Disappointed.

I'll be interested to see if there are casualties. Or if this is an isolated strike (it rarely works that way).

On a positive note this is the best night of press Trump has received on CNN and MSNBC. Even Maddow made Trump's case. Silver linings I suppose.

Nothing brings the establishment together like blowing up other countries.
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:10 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Corsair wrote:If you have another angle, present it.

It's both sides. Obama was doing the same ****. Why not just be against all of it?

It's ****ing stupid.

^^^^^
deltbucs

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Do you guys think that Trump should have asked for Congressional approval?
Corsair

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:43 pm

He shouldn't have done it, period. **** Maddow. **** Hannity. **** Mika. ****ing puppets cheering on cue.
beardmcdoug

Postby terrytate » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:33 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:He shouldn't have done it, period. **** Maddow. **** Hannity. **** Mika. ****ing puppets cheering on cue.

This guys disapproval is the clearest sign that it was the right move.
terrytate

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:45 am

beardmcdoug wrote:He shouldn't have done it, period. **** Maddow. **** Hannity. **** Mika. ****ing puppets cheering on cue.

I don't see the big deal here. I really can't see how Syria or Russia will want to escalate this. All he did was take out a couple air strips. He did nothing to degrade their air defenses. If it stops the use of chemical weapons it could be a good thing but the most likely scenario is it accomplishes nothing.

As far as leftist talking heads praising Trump for this action...this is something I have not seen. I tuned in briefly to Maddow and Mr. Thrill Up His Leg and they were spinning it as a ploy concocted by Trump to pretend he is not in the pocket of Putin and to divert attention from Russia stealing the election from the Democrats.

The MSM is never going to throw Trump a bone, no matter what.
Brazen331

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:53 am

Brazen331 wrote:The MSM is never going to throw Trump a bone, no matter what.

They'll probably throw him the same number of bones that Breitbart and friends tossed Obama's way. Would you expect this to ever change?
mightyleemoon

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:04 am

So can someone show me where the conclusive evidence that the gas attack came from Assad is? I've never really believed any claim he was using them because it just doesn't make sense. He's got the conventional forces to win, and the last thing he'd want to do is bring the entire international community (read: US military) down on him.

However, I could DEFINITELY see an inferior force using chemical weapons to make it LOOK like he did it, to bring the entire international community (read: US military) onto their side of the conflict and help them achieve their objectives.

Whole thing smacks of acting rash before all the facts are known. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's video of Assad saying "yes I gassed those muthafuckas! I hope they burn in hell!" I just haven't seen it yet.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:09 am

81mm Shake and Bake wrote:So can someone show me where the conclusive evidence that the gas attack came from Assad is? I've never really believed any claim he was using them because it just doesn't make sense. He's got the conventional forces to win, and the last thing he'd want to do is bring the entire international community (read: US military) down on him.

However, I could DEFINITELY see an inferior force using chemical weapons to make it LOOK like he did it, to bring the entire international community (read: US military) onto their side of the conflict and help them achieve their objectives.

Whole thing smacks of acting rash before all the facts are known. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's video of Assad saying "yes I gassed those muthafuckas! I hope they burn in hell!" I just haven't seen it yet.

NPR this morning was stating that "it is still yet to be confirmed that gas was used - although pictures seem to point to that, pictures supplied by the White Helmets"
beardmcdoug

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:22 am

Brazen331 wrote:

I don't see the big deal here. I really can't see how Syria or Russia will want to escalate this. All he did was take out a couple air strips. He did nothing to degrade their air defenses. If it stops the use of chemical weapons it could be a good thing but the most likely scenario is it accomplishes nothing.

As far as leftist talking heads praising Trump for this action...this is something I have not seen. I tuned in briefly to Maddow and Mr. Thrill Up His Leg and they were spinning it as a ploy concocted by Trump to pretend he is not in the pocket of Putin and to divert attention from Russia stealing the election from the Democrats.

The MSM is never going to throw Trump a bone, no matter what.

I'm leaning toward agreeing with you, although we'll see how it plays out over the next couple days/weeks (months/years, too, really); I do find it hard to imagine a scenario where Syria or Russia escalate things, via some relatively immediate militaristic response. I don't think this will mean nuclear war. But, undeniably, we are now further ensnared in another middle eastern mess. You don't just strike another sovereign nation with 100 million dollars worth of missiles and the walk away and say "and let that be a lesson to you". There are forces that want us, the US, at war. There are forces that want a destabilized Syria and ME. Trump has previously held a non-interventionist stance, and this act just showed that despite his talk, he is more than happy to oblige those forces and drag us into another another bullshit conflict at the expense of the american people

at least let the god damn investigation go through. attacking another country off of some pictures? does he know what year we live in? how easy it is to doctor images - how many grassroots propaganda firms there are with dubious funding sources - how even goat ****ing cave dwelling ISIS can create hollywood-level production value videos these days? and if we're going to argue "trump probably got good intelligence from within that was concrete enough to make this move" - well with the splintering of his administration, with Bannon getting kicked out, and people within the IC drawing lines, and know how deep some of those roots go, and how some of them are actors for the now-mainstream-concept, "the deep state"; can Trump even be sure that the intelligence he's receiving is even trustworthy? Idk its just too severe too fast, at a time whether there's just so much instability and potential for manipulation. He saw an opportunity to "be a man" where Obama wasn't and took it. Such a lack of prudence with this whole issue, it just strikes me as nothing more than Trump getting goaded into school yard fight, and the American people are going to be the ones to pay for it
beardmcdoug

Postby deltbucs » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:57 am

Syria bombed Syria, so let's bomb Syria! 'Merica!

But in all seriousness, I have to say that I'm really glad to see that pretty much everyone is on the same side here.
deltbucs

Postby Commander Bubbles » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:22 am

Awesome idea! Lets avenge the killing of innocent Syrians, by killing more innocent Syrians and further destabilizing the region.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Commander Bubbles » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:23 am

deltbucs wrote:Syria bombed Syria, so let's bomb Syria! 'Merica!

Exactly.
Commander Bubbles

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:31 am

The whole thing stinks to me and there alot of aspects to it.

As far as the airstrike itself, It seems like a message more than anything and Trump's motive seems to be more political than actually punishing Assad. 59ish Tomahawks that destroyed the airfield where the CW attack on Idlib was supposedly launched from. We warned Russia (although those reports are conflicting) which means by default we warned Syria the attack was coming, which imo was in an effort to minimize human casualties. Critics will smear Trump for that, but I don't have an issue with minimizing the loss of human life once the decision was made to destroy the airfield. The mission was the airfield, not the soldiers.

In regards to the chemical weapons attack, I still would like know what the evidence that implicates Assad. I saw on TV there were intel reports that showed where a plane had left that airfield and dropped bombs on Idlib. But chemical bombs? Idk about that.. What's the motivation for Assad when he's already winning and has the more powerful conventional force w/ the backing of Russia. The whole rescue and plea for retaliation seems way too scripted and staged to me.

As far as Assad, I'll the evidence/investigation lead me to my judgement regarding his responsibility. But what I do know is that Assad is one of the only leaders in that region that is fighting the terrorist strongholds. Both Al-Queda and ISIS are in Syria. Meanwhile our CIA backed by the DC establishment funds these groups so they can promote regime change and move forward with their plans for increased control over the flow of natural resources in the region.

As far as Politics here in the states, I don't think POTUS had to get any official blessing from Congress to destroy an airfield as a response to the 'CW attack'. There is certainly precedence that last nights Syrian airstrike was not in violation anything Constitutionally. CNN reported that Trump did reach out to a few dozen members of Congress on both sides of the aisle as well as some world leaders to inform them of the action for whatever that is worth.

The things I dislike most is how rushed the airstrike was, and the people that are praising it. Trump Supporters are split on the action based on some polling I've seen this AM. Old BernieBros largely oppose it, while the Hillary cronies (Not BernieBro converts) largely praise it (Hillary herself said it should've been and wish it would've been done in the past).

Anytime all these establishment types come together with the MSM pundits in lockstep praising military action in the Middle East it's cause for concern imo. America was NOT attacked. Any retaliation should have been w/ the backing of coalition forces instead imho.
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

Wharf Rat wrote:Awesome idea! Lets avenge the killing of innocent Syrians, by killing more innocent Syrians and further destabilizing the region.

The only target was the air base the plane was allegedly tracked back to.

That said, I agree with those who find it dubious that Assad would use chemical weapons, especially right now. He's basically won, he has nothing to gain by gassing his own people. On top of this he's known as being incredibly intelligent. There is literally no strategic upside to that attack at all. I'm not ready to call it a false flag, but there clearly needed to be more investigation in to the incident before launching 50ish million dollars worth of missiles.

At least we warned the Russians.
The Outsider

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

Wharf Rat wrote:Awesome idea! Lets avenge the killing of innocent Syrians, by killing more innocent Syrians and further destabilizing the region.

I haven't seen any casualty reports yet. But it seems as though measures were taken to minimize human collateral within the Syrian and Russian military.

But this act does empower the rebels/terrorists in the region that aides in destabilization.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:43 am

This whole thing was about sending a message. Assad launches CW against the SDF (NOT ISIS since DN is still confused) to send a message that they should just give up because he thought he could do that without any retaliation since he figured he was protected by Putin. Trump responds by sending a message that we won't put up with that in a way that minimized any chance of casualties. Putin and Assad respond by calling it an act of aggression.

So now all their ***** are laid out on the table to be measured and not a damn bit of good will come to anyone.
bucfanclw

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:28 am

Some say insurgents may have executed the attack to make it look like Assad. But, what if Assad executed the attacks to make it look like insurgents trying to make it look like he executed the attacks? Or...maybe insurgents made it look like Assad made it look like insurgents made it look like Assad!

And that's exactly what he/they want you to think...
mightyleemoon

Postby NYBF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:35 am

mightyleemoon wrote:Some say insurgents may have executed the attack to make it look like Assad. But, what if Assad executed the attacks to make it look like insurgents trying to make it look like he executed the attacks? Or...maybe insurgents made it look like Assad made it look like insurgents made it look like Assad!

And that's exactly what he/they want you to think...

NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 am

bucfanclw wrote: Assad launches CW against the SDF (NOT ISIS since DN is still confused) to send a message that they should just give up because he thought he could do that without any retaliation since he figured he was protected by Putin.

Where did I say SDF was ISIS? What I said was the "Rebels" are allied w/ terror groups. Are you saying that is not the case?

I've read and heard numerous reports that the town of Khan Sheikhoun in Idlib was controlled by rebel groups linked to Al-Qaeda. Which makes sense if the white helmets were first on the scene with their production equipment since they have been linked to Al-Qaeda.

I'm no Syria expert and anyone that follows whats going on over there knows its a quagmire of different factions. But the "Syrian rebels" include factions of terrorist organizations which include both ISIS and Al-Qaeda.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 am

Assad has also "been linked to" al-Qaeda. Why do you steadfastly hold on to the belief that he's innocent in all this? Do you get angry when you watch Star Wars because those terrible "Rebels" blew up the military installation in a terrorist attack?
bucfanclw

Next

Return to Politics and Religion