Fired for an Anti-Trump Tweet

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Fired for an Anti-Trump Tweet

Postby McFan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:52 am

Interested in people's thoughts on this...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
McFan

Re: Fired for an Anti-Trump Tweet

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:56 am

McFan wrote:Interested in people's thoughts on this...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz

that's the free market at work right there. you damage your company's reputation on a public forum, your employer makes a cost-benefit analysis based on your actions and contribution to the company. If they feel you do/have done more harm then good, then you're gone. easy.
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am

The guy is fool on many levels. Calling a war widow an idiot, Using his real name on twitter while making such a comment, supporting Hillary (j/k on that one).

People get fired/ostracized for misguided social media posts all the time. It's the world we live in. If the politics were revered the result would be the same (if not worse).

It's why I run two twitter accounts. One for work and software related news (boring) under my name, and other anonymously to for sports, entertainment, politics, etc.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:33 am

Not a whole to go off of in that story. I guess I'm most interested in the connection between his account and the business.

Don't get me wrong - you make your company look bad in a public forum, and you get what you're looking for. But was his twitter account used in connection with his business? Or is he the only Daniel Grilo on twitter and a quick google shows he works for X Co, and let's contact X Co to see what they have to say?

If it's the former, **** canning him is definitely a no-brainer. But if they went on a hunt for ways to cause the guy problems, that seems kinda petty. But like DN said, that's what you get for using your real name (even though nothing is really anonymous).
NYBF

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:45 am

NYBF wrote:Not a whole to go off of in that story. I guess I'm most interested in the connection between his account and the business.

Don't get me wrong - you make your company look bad in a public forum, and you get what you're looking for. But was his twitter account used in connection with his business? Or is he the only Daniel Grilo on twitter and a quick google shows he works for X Co, and let's contact X Co to see what they have to say?

If it's the former, **** canning him is definitely a no-brainer. But if they went on a hunt for ways to cause the guy problems, that seems kinda petty. But like DN said, that's what you get for using your real name (even though nothing is really anonymous).

doesn't matter if it doesn't say "he works for X Co" - people have google. you use your real name, its the exact same thing. wake up grandpa
beardmcdoug

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:59 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
NYBF wrote:Not a whole to go off of in that story. I guess I'm most interested in the connection between his account and the business.

doesn't matter if it doesn't say "he works for X Co" - people have google. you use your real name, its the exact same thing. wake up grandpa

You have a funny way of generally agreeing with someone...

NYBF wrote:But like DN said, that's what you get for using your real name (even though nothing is really anonymous).
mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

NYBF wrote:But like DN said, that's what you get for using your real name (even though nothing is really anonymous).

so does he. he spent the first 95% of his post disagreeing with something he ultimately concedes to. I addressed the majority of his post, reinforcing that the only portion of his post that was his unique thoughts, not the part where he agrees with somebody else, is wrong

I guess I'm most interested in the connection between his account and the business.

If it's the former, **** canning him is definitely a no-brainer. But if they went on a hunt for ways to cause the guy problems, that seems kinda petty.

thanks though, mlm, another valuable contribution from our cringeworthy self proclaimed "smart ass"
beardmcdoug

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:41 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

so does he. he spent the first 95% of his post disagreeing with something he ultimately concedes to. I addressed the majority of his post, reinforcing that the only portion of his post that was his unique thoughts, not the part where he agrees with somebody else, is wrong

I guess I'm most interested in the connection between his account and the business.

If it's the former, **** canning him is definitely a no-brainer. But if they went on a hunt for ways to cause the guy problems, that seems kinda petty.

thanks though, mlm, another valuable contribution from our cringeworthy self proclaimed "smart ass"

Somebody give this new kid a snickers or a reach around. He's throwing more fits than usual.
mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:53 pm

lol
beardmcdoug

Postby NYBF » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:31 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Loosen up the tinfoil, dipshit.
NYBF

Postby McFan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:32 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:doesn't matter if it doesn't say "he works for X Co" - people have google. you use your real name, its the exact same thing. wake up grandpa

"Grandpa" is funny for some reason, even though I am one....

As for your critique of NYBF's post, not sure what you're getting at. I thought it was self explanatory and well written, not warranting a smug, divisive tone.

That said, I was looking at the freedom of speech angle. Not sure, unless its noted that which you tweet speaks for your place of employment, how a personal viewpoint, no matter what he wrote, can be considered grounds for dismissal, especially after taking it down and apologizing? (by the way, that's the art of posting a ridiculously long, compound sentence).

Unless, as NYBF was alluding to, they simply were looking for a way to boot him and he handed them the reason on a silver platter.

NYBF wrote:
Loosen up the tinfoil, dipshit.

..that, of course, works too...
McFan

Postby NYBF » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:35 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:[ he spent the first 95% of his post disagreeing with something he ultimately concedes to.

The second ****ing line:

Don't get me wrong - you make your company look bad in a public forum, and you get what you're looking for.

Second. Line.
NYBF

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 pm

whew ya'll sound a little mad - be sure to take your bp meds before you hit up bingo tonight
beardmcdoug

Postby SDBucs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 pm

"Sorry Owens' wife, you're not helping yourself or your husband's memory by standing there and clapping like an idiot. Trump just used you."

Anti-Trump?

Or Anti-Wife?

Both?
SDBucs

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm

McFan wrote:That said, I was looking at the freedom of speech angle. Not sure, unless its noted that which you tweet speaks for your place of employment, how a personal viewpoint, no matter what he wrote, can be considered grounds for dismissal, especially after taking it down and apologizing? (by the way, that's the art of posting a ridiculously long, compound sentence).

I think Moon worked in HR somewhere and he could elaborate on this better. But an employer has every right to fire someone that reflects negatively on the company. I think calling a war widow an idiot on social media probably qualifies and led to alot of complaints on said individual resulting in there termination.

I don't think that has anything to do w/ the 1A since nobody is charging him w/ a crime. Free Speech doesn't mean no consequences.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby McFan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:whew ya'll sound a little mad - be sure to take your bp meds before you hit up bingo tonight

point of order: you take your BP meds in the morning, not night. And I detest bingo.
McFan

Postby deltbucs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:58 pm

McFan wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:whew ya'll sound a little mad - be sure to take your bp meds before you hit up bingo tonight

point of order: you take your BP meds in the morning, not night. And I detest bingo.

Boom. Boasted.
deltbucs

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:37 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
McFan wrote:That said, I was looking at the freedom of speech angle. Not sure, unless its noted that which you tweet speaks for your place of employment, how a personal viewpoint, no matter what he wrote, can be considered grounds for dismissal, especially after taking it down and apologizing? (by the way, that's the art of posting a ridiculously long, compound sentence).

I think Moon worked in HR somewhere and he could elaborate on this better. But an employer has every right to fire someone that reflects negatively on the company. I think calling a war widow an idiot on social media probably qualifies and led to alot of complaints on said individual resulting in there termination.

I don't think that has anything to do w/ the 1A since nobody is charging him w/ a crime. Free Speech doesn't mean no consequences.

Kind of. I worked in a payroll/reporting position right out of college. So, I worked near HR people...which is probably the same thing as staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I guess.

But, I do know that free speech doesn't mean "I can say anything I want without consequences." Freedom of speech means you are free to say whatever inane **** comes into your mind. Freedom of speech also means a company is free to fire your verbose ass...or stop carrying your duck whistle in their stores...if they aren't on the same page as you. Right wingers were all up in arms over "Freedom of speech" when some duck dynasty guy got suspended...or when some stores stopped carrying the General Lee. But, at least now you guys seem to be catching on.

Relevant xkcd...

mightyleemoon

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:56 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Kind of. I worked in a payroll/reporting position right out of college. So, I worked near HR people...which is probably the same thing as staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I guess.

But, I do know that free speech doesn't mean "I can say anything I want without consequences." Freedom of speech means you are free to say whatever inane **** comes into your mind. Freedom of speech also means a company is free to fire your verbose ass...or stop carrying your duck whistle in their stores...if they aren't on the same page as you. Right wingers were all up in arms over "Freedom of speech" when some duck dynasty guy got suspended...or when some stores stopped carrying the General Lee. But, at least now you guys seem to be catching on.

I don't think it's "catching on" per se, but more akin to rubbing the puppy's face in its own piss when it piddles on the kitchen floor. In other words, when the RWers were up in arms over the bakery being forced out of business for not baking a gay wedding cake, the LWers were quick to jump on them over it. So now, whenever LWers act the same way, as in this case of the dude getting canned for calling a military wife an idiot, the RWers like giving the LWers a taste of the same medicine. It's all the same ****...just a different cast.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Buc2 wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

I don't think it's "catching on" per se, but more akin to rubbing the puppy's face in its own piss when it piddles on the kitchen floor. In other words, when the RWers were up in arms over the bakery being forced out of business for not baking a gay wedding cake, the LWers were quick to jump on them over it. So now, whenever LWers act the same way, as in this case of the dude getting canned for calling a military wife an idiot, the RWers like giving the LWers a taste of the same medicine. It's all the same ****...just a different cast.

Nah. Right wingers are always crying about freedom of speech and feeling censored because you aren't "Politically correct." It's totally a victim's mentality on this topic. It's kind of your thing. It's like how left wingers are always yelling about racism/sexism/homophobe/xenophobe stuff anytime someone from a given group isn't given preferential treatment. You each have your special things.
mightyleemoon

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 am

No, he's the idiot. Not her.
Bootz2004

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:54 am

I think he was fired for publicly ripping the widow of a fallen soldier, but I guess spinning it into Anti-Trump gets more clicks.

If his tweet was "Trump is using this war widow for <insert reason>. Sad!' he would probably still have his job.
Ken Carson

Postby Alpha » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:01 am

beardmcdoug wrote:whew ya'll sound a little mad...

Been around for quite awhile...though not a "grandpa" yet.

This always seems to be the default response from anyone who just got their ass handed to 'em.

Meh. Another dipshit, another day.
Alpha

Postby McFan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:43 am

Alpha wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:whew ya'll sound a little mad...

Been around for quite awhile...though not a "grandpa" yet.

This always seems to be the default response from anyone who just got their ass handed to 'em.

Meh. Another dipshit, another day.

The only issue I have with this insolent snot is the "mc" in his name. Irish, by rule, are respectful of their seniors. And yes, we drink way too much too... :drinkingbeer:
McFan

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:05 am

Somewhat related to this topic, Tomi Lahren is suing Glenn Beck and the Blaze for wrongful termination after her comments on The View.

A few thoughts:
1. She has a "permanent ban" from the Blaze on air which is legally not the same as being fired.
2. She is supposedly a champion of small government but now wants the government to step in on a worker's rights issue, pretty hypocritical there.
3. The case is in Texas... which has "right to work" laws in place... which she supported... how does she really think this will play out?
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 am

4. Who gives a ****?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Return to Politics and Religion