Inauguration of Donald Trump| U.S Capitol | Jan 20, 2017

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Inauguration of Donald Trump| U.S Capitol | Jan 20, 2017

Postby sanka » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:12 pm

19 Entertainers on Whether They’d Perform at Donald Trump’s Presidential Inauguration
Cady Lang @cadylang 2:25 PM ET
From Garth Brooks to Elton John

With the inauguration of president-elect Donald Trump less than a month away, the question on everyone’s lips has been who will be performing at the inauguration and its related festivities. The inauguration ceremony and its accompanying celebrations has traditionally been a great honor for performers, with past performers for Obama including Aretha Franklin, Beyoncé Knowles, Kelly Clarkson, and for Bush, Destiny’s Child (Beyoncé again,) Ricky Martin, and Denyce Graves.

This year, however, might present a unique set of challenges for booking talent for the inauguration, which had confirmed only Jackie Evancho as of Wednesday. It’s also worth noting that during the 2016 presidential election, many actors and singers were vocal supporters of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. Of the artist friendly with Trump, Kanye West has praised and met with the President-elect, while Dee Snider has sung “We’re Not Gonna Take It” with Trump, later clarifying this was not and endorsement. With that in mind, here’s a look at the entertainers who have spoken out so far on whether or not they would perform at the inauguration for Donald Trump.

Rick Astley: “Depends how big the check was! Politically, the whole world’s been shaken this year – and that was the icing on the cake. But whether it was Donald Trump or anybody else, I’m not sure I’d want to go and play at the inauguration of an American president. I don’t think that’s a place for a British artist to be, to be honest.”

[BBC]

Andrea Bocelli: Rumors abounded that Bocelli would be performing, but Trump inauguration committee chairman Thomas J. Barrack, Jr. set the record straight: “The Bocellis came to him and said, ‘Look, if it would be helpful to you, if you would like us to perform, we would consider it. And Donald said: ‘You don’t need to. We’re not in that kind of a framework. Thanks very much for the offer. You’re my friend. You are always welcome at the White House.’”

[CNBC]

Garth Brooks (responding hypothetically after mentioning he hadn’t been asked): “It’s always about serving. It’s what you do.”

[TMZ]

The Chainsmokers: After New York Magazine’s Brian Feldman tweeted that the band would be performing at the inauguration, their manager had a succinct but firm reply: “False.”

[The Wrap]

The Dixie Chicks: Their manager Simon Renshaw commented, “If anyone does do it, I hope that the check that they get is in the nine figures. Because it’s probably the last check they’re ever going to get…No one is prepared to normalize what is going on in the country right now.”

[The Wrap]

Jackie Evancho: The 16-year-old America’s Got Talent contestant is the only confirmed performer for the inauguration so far and expressed her delight on The Today Show. “I am so excited. It’s going to be awesome. I felt really honored to be able to sing for the office. It’s a great honor for me.”

[The Today Show]

David Foster: “For the record, I was asked to participate in the upcoming inauguration some time ago and I politely and respectfully declined. Any news outlet that is reporting otherwise is misinformed.”

[Instagram]

Matt Healy: “I’ll do it if they give me cash up front. Then watch what would happen. It would be a riot.”

[BBC]

Ice T: The rapper joked on Twitter that he had been approached to perform at the inauguration, but “didn’t pick up and blocked the number,” going so far as to suggest Ted Nugent, an avowed Trump supporter as an alternative. He later put to rest inquiries about his claim with a follow-up tweet.

Follow
ICE T ✔ @FINALLEVEL
I just got call to perform at the Inauguration…. I didn’t pick up and Blocked the number.
6:57 PM - 15 Dec 2016
19,738 19,738 Retweets 55,406 55,406 likes
[Twitter]

Elton John: Though Anthony Scaramucci, a member of the presidential transition team, told the BBC that John would be performing at the inauguration, the singer’s publicist Fran Curtis sent the New York Times the following as a response to the report: “Incorrect. He will NOT be performing.”

[The New York Times]

John Legend: When asked about the popular opinion among artists who spoke up: “Creative people tend to reject bigotry and hate. We tend to be more liberal-minded. When we see somebody that’s preaching division and hate and bigotry, it’s unlikely he’ll get a lot of creative people that want to be associated with him.”

[BBC]

Adam Lambert: When asked whether or not a large fee would encourage him to perform for the president-elect, Lambert responded: “I don’t think I would take the money on that one.”

[BBC]

Zara Larsson: “I would never do it.”

[BBC]

Eric McCormack: The Will and Grace star said he would perform at the Inauguration in exchange for a “Lobotomy. My whole brain removed from my head…I don’t know what the line-up will be, but I hear Scott Baio’s doing dramatic readings.”

[The Wrap]

Idina Menzel: “I think it’s karma, baby…Maybe he’ll just have to sing something himself. He probably thinks he has a great voice; he thinks he does everything great.”

[Vanity Fair]

Vince Neil: “So we were invited, then it turns out when the Republicans won, we were uninvited.”

[TMZ]

Issa Rae: “If I died and they ‘Weekend at Bernies’ed me, so they just propped me up, that’s literally the only way I would perform. I would just be like [lifeless], and they’ll move my lips for me.”

[The Wrap]

Michael Rapaport: The actor thinks anyone who performs at the inauguration “should be ashamed of themselves.” He also added that the rumored performance fee would not sway his decision. “I wouldn’t do it for money. Trump has no flavor. His supporters have no flavor.”

[The Wrap]

Alex Wolff: “No f–king way.”

[The Wrap]

http://time.com/4609263/celebrities-...n-performance/
Last edited by sanka on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanka

Re: Inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th President of US

Postby sanka » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Ouch no A-list performers.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sanka

Re: Inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th President of US

Postby sanka » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:21 pm

Donald Trump’s Inauguration Weekend: Official Events Schedule Announced
December 21, 2016 @ 4:36 PM

By Megan French

The schedule of events for Donald Trump’s inauguration weekend has been announced by the Presidential Inaugural Committee — and it’s jam-packed with events over three days.

The festivities will begin on Thursday, January 19, with the president-elect and Vice President-elect Mike Pence laying a wreath at Arlington National Cemetery. It will be followed by a special “Make America Great Again! Welcome Celebration" concert at the Lincoln Memorial, but no performers have been announced yet.

The two will be sworn into office at the Capitol building on Friday, January 20. Few details have been released about the inauguration other than the news that 16-year-old America’s Got Talent star Jackie Evancho will sing the national anthem. (David Foster declined an offer to organize the event, Garth Brooks was rumored to be on the short list of singers, and it was reported that Andrea Bocelli was taking the stage, but later the inauguration committee said he was officially out.) Following the swearing-in ceremony, Trump, 70, and Pence, 57, will participate in a parade down Pennsylvania Avenue and attend several inaugural balls that evening.

Finally, the schedule concludes on Saturday, January 21, with the business mogul and the Indiana governor attending a national prayer service at the Washington National Cathedral.

“President-elect Trump is committed to unifying our country as we once again celebrate the foundation of our American system and the peaceful transition of power,” committee chairman Tom Barrack said in a statement, via The Hill. “The 2017 inaugural celebrations will reflect President-elect Trump’s eagerness to get to work in order to make our country safer and stronger."

For those interested in attending the welcome concert or the parade, no tickets are required for the general public viewing areas. However, a limited number of tickets will be released that will allow people access to certain areas. More information on tickets will be available on the Presidential Inaugural Committee’s website after January 1, 2017.

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/donald-t ... ed-w457375
sanka

Re: Inauguration of Donald Trump| U.S Capitol | Jan 20, 2017

Postby sanka » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Trump inauguration committee releases event schedule
BY JESSIE HELLMANN - 12/21/16 12:20 PM EST 120
Trump inauguration committee releases event schedule
© Getty Images
The Presidential Inaugural Committee released a finalized schedule of events surrounding Donald Trump's inauguration Wednesday.

The festivities will begin Jan. 19 at Arlington National Cemetery, where Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence will lay a wreath, followed by a "welcome concert" at the Lincoln Memorial.

On Inauguration Day, Jan. 20, Trump and Pence will be sworn in at the U.S. Capitol and will attend an Inaugural Parade on Pennsylvania Avenue.

That evening Pence and Trump will attend the inaugural balls.
General public viewing areas for inauguration-goers without tickets will be available at both the Lincoln Memorial welcome celebration and the Inaugural Parade.

The weekend will end with the National Prayer Service at Washington National Cathedral Jan. 21.

“President-elect Trump is committed to unifying our country as we once again celebrate the foundation of our American system and the peaceful transfer of power,” committee chairman Tom Barrack said in a statement.

“The 2017 inaugural celebrations will reflect President-elect Trump's eagerness to get to work in order to make our country safer and stronger.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/311349 ... auguration
sanka

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:47 am

I'll be there. Agreed to meet my mother in DC to support her in a "womens March in DC at the beginning of next year". She booked the tickets the second we got off the phone. Turns out it's the weekend of the inauguration. Turns out it's a women's March (not really, but really) against Trump. Going to be very interesting, actually looking forward to it. Going to be a good first hand look at something I would have supported wholeheartedly maybe 8 years ago, but have sort of divorced myself from in the past year or so... my mother has no idea... Going to be an interesting line to walk. Meeting with all her super duper liberal friends to have drinks etc beforehand too... Lol going to be interesting
beardmcdoug

Postby deltbucs » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:52 am

beardmcdoug wrote:I'll be there. Agreed to meet my mother in DC to support her in a "womens March in DC at the beginning of next year". She booked the tickets the second we got off the phone. Turns out it's the weekend of the inauguration. Turns out it's a women's March (not really, but really) against Trump. Going to be very interesting, actually looking forward to it. Going to be a good first hand look at something I would have supported wholeheartedly maybe 8 years ago, but have sort of divorced myself from in the past year or so... my mother has no idea... Going to be an interesting line to walk. Meeting with all her super duper liberal friends to have drinks etc beforehand too... Lol going to be interesting

HA! Good luck, dude. Interested to hear how this goes. Have your phone ready to start recording video at all times.
deltbucs

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:51 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:I'll be there. Agreed to meet my mother in DC to support her in a "womens March in DC at the beginning of next year". She booked the tickets the second we got off the phone. Turns out it's the weekend of the inauguration. Turns out it's a women's March (not really, but really) against Trump. Going to be very interesting, actually looking forward to it. Going to be a good first hand look at something I would have supported wholeheartedly maybe 8 years ago, but have sort of divorced myself from in the past year or so... my mother has no idea... Going to be an interesting line to walk. Meeting with all her super duper liberal friends to have drinks etc beforehand too... Lol going to be interesting

That sounds like it will be interesting.

I'd love to be at the inauguration just to take in the different reactions.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:23 pm

Maybe you can perform there, too!
NYBF

Postby sanka » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Carter is only former president to RSVP for Trump's inauguration

The Clintons and George W. Bush are still weighing whether to show up for Trump's celebration next month.
By TARA PALMERI 12/22/16 07:23 PM EST

Only former President Jimmy Carter has thus far agreed to attend President-elect Donald Trump's 2017 inauguration. | Getty

One month out, Jimmy Carter is the only former president to RSVP to President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration, while Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are putting off their decision until the new year.

The Clintons have been keeping a low profile since the election and have made no decisions about whether to attend, according to a person familiar with the planning. Angel Urena, a spokesman for Bill Clinton, declined to comment.

Bush’s spokesman, Freddy Ford, told POLITICO that the most recent Republican president will not announce whether he will attend until the new year, while a source familiar with the matter said Bush is also still weighing whether to show up. George W. Bush had tweeted out a statement of congratulations to Trump after the election, but neither he nor his father endorsed Trump, who often mocked his brother Jeb throughout the GOP primary.

George H.W. Bush has confirmed that he will not be at the inauguration, according to his spokesman, Jim McGrath, who cited the 41st president’s age, 92, as the reason why he will skip.

11_donald_trump_12_gty_1160.jpg
PRESIDENTIAL TRANSITION
Will ‘drain the swamp’ be Trump’s first broken promise?
By ISAAC ARNSDORF, JOSH DAWSEY and DANIEL LIPPMAN
Carter, who endorsed Clinton, announced at his Sunday school class in Georgia earlier this month that he would attend the inauguration.

Following tradition, all former presidents are invited to attend the ceremony on Jan. 20 when Trump will be sworn in. But not all living presidents have consistently attended the inaugurations of their successors.

President Barack Obama in 2009 enjoyed the presence of all four living presidents— both Bushes, Carter and Clinton — at his first inauguration, but the Bushes skipped Obama’s second event in 2013, citing George H.W. Bush’s compromised health.

George W. Bush also did not have a full slate of former presidents at his second inauguration in 2005, as Gerald Ford skipped the event. He was 91, and died the next year.

For Trump’s inauguration, the Clinton camp has been especially divided over whether Bill Clinton should accept his invitation as a former president.

Sen. Jeff Merkley called Donald Trump's campaign a "charade" and vowed to fight his cabinet nominations.
CONGRESS
Democrats aim to launch comeback with Cabinet showdown
By BURGESS EVERETT
After a particularly personal and vicious presidential contest between Trump and Hillary Clinton, the former president has been leaning toward skipping the inauguration confab, according to a source in the Clinton camp.

Since the invitation is addressed only to the former president, and the former first lady attends as his guest, some have interpreted this caveat as an out for Hillary Clinton. There have been ongoing discussions over whether, as a former first lady, she should sit on the inauguration stage in front of the Capitol, where network cameras will pan to her every reaction.

The Hillary Clinton camp has been especially divided over whether husband and former President Bill Clinton should accept his invitation.
The Hillary Clinton camp has been especially divided over whether husband and former President Bill Clinton should accept his invitation. | Getty
Some in the Clinton camp have argued that they must grin and bear the celebration, even if their attendance angers some Democrats.

“It would be especially bad if the Clintons did not attend, because it seems like they do not support the transition of power,” said a top Clinton donor. “It would be petty, they have to suck it up. [Hillary] has to go as a former first lady. She will sit prominently.”

A spokesperson for Trump’s inaugural committee did not respond to a request for comment.

But it’s not just former presidents and rivals who are resisting Trump’s celebration. Even wrangling talent has been a struggle for his inauguration team, which has reached out to top pop acts to perform but haven’t been able to get much traction, according to entertainment industry insiders.

The New York Post reported that Italian Singer Andrea Bocelli turned down the gig because of a growing “Boycott Bocelli” movement that broke out on social media after he met with Trump last week. Inaugural committee chairman Thomas Barrack told CNBC that it was, in fact, Trump who turned down the Italian singer’s offer to perform.

161216_donald_trump_ap_1160.jpg
A lobbying roadmap to influencing Trump
By ISAAC ARNSDORF
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the Rockettes and America’s Got Talent singer Jackie Evancho are set to perform at the inauguration.

A source close to Trump shot down any suggestion that the inauguration would be a blow-out victory event for the reality-TV personality turned president. The insider said to look to the Republican National Convention for clues on the tenor of the Trump production.

“If you look at the convention, it was relatively low key,” said the source. “It’s going to be an elegant event.”

Meanwhile sources in the entertainment world say that Trump’s Treasury secretary pick, Steve Mnuchin, who previously worked as a film financier, and White House senior adviser Steve Bannon, who has worked as a Hollywood producer, have been reaching out to prominent players in the entertainment industry to fill out key seats on the stage with bold-faced names.

“They’re emailing old friends with invites,” said a top entertainment executive. “They want recognizable faces in key positions.”

Edward-Isaac Dovere contributed to this report.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/t ... 7?cmpid=sf
sanka

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:03 pm

I'll be very interested in his inaguration speech.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 pm

The irony of this thread...

Democrats thinking the opinions of celebrity dropouts are important to Americans is one of the reasons Trump won.

Who gives a **** what the guy from a fox sitcom or the guy from Will & Grace think about ANYTHING? If Americans did, Hillary would be President right now because they ALL made their feelings very clear during the process.
MJW

Postby sanka » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:57 pm

MJW wrote:The irony of this thread...

Democrats thinking the opinions of celebrity dropouts are important to Americans is one of the reasons Trump won.

Who gives a **** what the guy from a fox sitcom or the guy from Will & Grace think about ANYTHING? If Americans did, Hillary would be President right now because they ALL made their feelings very clear during the process.

I won't be shocked if you voted for Trump...that is another discussion for another day.

Americans did give a ****...that is why Hillary won by more than 2.8 million votes...we love complaining about other countries' election but yet our election system is fucked up.... It really shows how unpopular you are when nobody wants to come to your party :lol: :lol: :lol: ...When ex presidents are thinking about boycotting the Inauguration ...that tells you a lot...maybe Putin can take the Bushes' sit.
Last edited by sanka on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
sanka

Postby Wharf Rat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:02 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'll be very interested in his inaguration speech.

I don't doubt that it'll be painful. Maybe not as painful as watching George W. Bush give a speech, but I anticipate it being close.
Wharf Rat

Postby Wharf Rat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:07 am

sanka wrote:

Im pretty sure you voted for Trump...that is another discussion for another day.

Americans did give a ****...that is why Hillary won by more than 3 million votes...we love complaining about other countries' election but yet our election system is fucked up.... It really shows how unpopular you are when nobody wants to come to your party :lol: :lol: :lol: ...When ex presidents are thinking about boycotting the Inauguration ...that tells you a lot...maybe Putin can take the Bushes' sit.

I'm pretty sure you idolize Fidel Castro...but that is a discussion for another day.

Personally I think it's retarded that anyone even cares, to be honest. And more than 3 million votes? I haven't seen that number yet, and I would be interested in a California election audit to see how many illegal aliens actually voted.
Wharf Rat

Postby sanka » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:15 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
sanka wrote:Im pretty sure you voted for Trump...that is another discussion for another day.

Americans did give a ****...that is why Hillary won by more than 3 million votes...we love complaining about other countries' election but yet our election system is fucked up.... It really shows how unpopular you are when nobody wants to come to your party :lol: :lol: :lol: ...When ex presidents are thinking about boycotting the Inauguration ...that tells you a lot...maybe Putin can take the Bushes' sit.

I'm pretty sure you idolize Fidel Castro...but that is a discussion for another day.

Personally I think it's retarded that anyone even cares, to be honest. And more than 3 million votes? I haven't seen that number yet, and I would be interested in a California election audit to see how many illegal aliens actually voted.

The now officially-certified votes from the 2016 presidential race show that Hillary Clinton surpassed Donald Trump in the national popular vote by nearly 2.9 million votes.

According to vote tallies from The Associated Press, Clinton amassed 65,844,610 votes across all 50 states and Washington D.C., 48.2 percent of all votes cast. Trump received 62,979,636 votes, 46.1 percent of all votes cast.

The Associated Press announced today that all votes had officially been certified.

Clinton had 2,864,974 votes more than Trump, the largest popular vote margin of any losing presidential candidate in U.S. history, according to the AP.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary- ... d=44354341

Well nearly 3 million votes...
sanka

Postby MJW » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:26 am

sanka wrote:

I won't be shocked if you voted for Trump...that is another discussion for another day.

Americans did give a ****...that is why Hillary won by more than 2.8 million votes...we love complaining about other countries' election but yet our election system is fucked up.... It really shows how unpopular you are when nobody wants to come to your party :lol: :lol: :lol: ...When ex presidents are thinking about boycotting the Inauguration ...that tells you a lot...maybe Putin can take the Bushes' sit.

I've loathed Donald Trump since the 1980s, kid. I'd rather be the guidance counselor at your high school than support that loathsome moron. Feel free to do a search on the subject - I've supported Gary Johnson pretty much since before the 2012 election. And I would be shocked if you voted at all, btw. If you think I'm defending Trump you're ridiculous. I'm disputing the notion that anyone is as interested in watching celebrities smell their own farts as they think we are. Or as YOU apparently are. Stupid people care what celebrities think. Case in point.

BTW, Hillary didn't win anything. That's why she's not getting sworn in. Saying Hillary "won" by 2.8 million votes is like saying the team that scored the most runs won the World Series even though they lost 4 games.

PS - You know what kind of guests Trump would have more of than Hillary? Electoral Voters.

Or, to put it in your parlance:

:birdiedoublered: :birdiedoublered: :birdiedoublered:
MJW

Postby sanka » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:54 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:I won't be shocked if you voted for Trump...that is another discussion for another day.

I've loathed Donald Trump since the 1980s, kid. I'd rather be the guidance counselor at your high school than support that loathsome moron. Feel free to do a search on the subject - I've supported Gary Johnson pretty much since before the 2012 election. And I would be shocked if you voted at all, btw. If you think I'm defending Trump you're ridiculous. I'm disputing the notion that anyone is as interested in watching celebrities smell their own farts as they think we are. Or as YOU apparently are. Stupid people care what celebrities think. Case in point.

BTW, Hillary didn't win anything. That's why she's not getting sworn in. Saying Hillary "won" by 2.8 million votes is like saying the team that scored the most runs won the World Series even though they lost 4 games.

PS - You know what kind of guests Trump would have more of than Hillary? Electoral Voters.

So you support the Electoral college over the Popular votes (The American people votes)?
sanka

Postby MJW » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:59 am

sanka wrote:
MJW wrote:

So you support the Electoral college over the Popular votes (The American people votes)?

I don't support a direct democracy. It sounds great on a bumper sticker, but the reality would be 5 or 6 zipcodes deciding the Presidency, and there would be no potential for representation for the rest of the country. Hillary's popular vote "victory" is due entirely to how completely she won California. She completely LOST the other 49 states (collectively), but under a direct democracy it would be California dictating policy to an America it has nothing in common with.
MJW

Postby sanka » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:23 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:So you support the Electoral college over the Popular votes (The American people votes)?

I don't support a direct democracy. It sounds great on a bumper sticker, but the reality would be 5 or 6 zipcodes deciding the Presidency, and there would be no potential for representation for the rest of the country. Hillary's popular vote "victory" is due entirely to how completely she won California. She completely LOST the other 49 states (collectively), but under a direct democracy it would be California dictating policy to an America it has nothing in common with.

Maybe Republicans can campaign in California and pitch their ideas on how to improve people's lives instead of just going to battleground states....Republicans have won Cali before...so
sanka

Postby Wharf Rat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:20 am

sanka wrote:
MJW wrote:

Maybe Republicans can campaign in California and pitch their ideas on how to improve people's lives instead of just going to battleground states....Republicans have won Cali before...so

Who says it's the role of the government to improve people's lives? One of the most prominent problems with this generation is that it is so entitled. The world owes them something.
Wharf Rat

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:47 am

sanka wrote:
MJW wrote:

I do, and I've said that since I was born. I like the system we have in place. If popular vote was the deciding factor, all these candidates would do is campaign in LA, NYC and DC. No where else. If you look at the map of red and blue in the US and the counties Trump won, this election was a landslide. If popular vote was factor, both candidates would campaign differently and who knows how it'd turn out. Maybe Hillary would still win, but I've said as far back as I was born that the electoral system we have is the best system in place.
NavyBuc

Postby sanka » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:55 am

Trump already twitted about it this morning...You know how insecure he is....If he doesn't care about it why does he care.
sanka

Postby sanka » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:57 am

NavyBuc wrote:
sanka wrote:So you support the Electoral college over the Popular votes (The American people votes)?

I do, and I've said that since I was born. I like the system we have in place. If popular vote was the deciding factor, all these candidates would do is campaign in LA, NYC and DC. No where else. If you look at the map of red and blue in the US and the counties Trump won, this election was a landslide. If popular vote was factor, both candidates would campaign differently and who knows how it'd turn out. Maybe Hillary would still win, but I've said as far back as I was born that the electoral system we have is the best system in place.

Then let them fight for it...If this election thought us something when Trump flipped mostly Democratic states...You can't take States for granted no more.
sanka

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:59 am

Wharf Rat wrote:Who says it's the role of the government to improve people's lives?

The Constitution....literally in the first paragraph.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:01 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:I won't be shocked if you voted for Trump...that is another discussion for another day.

What's a Leppo?
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:08 am

Sanka, the "popular vote" is NOT A THING at the national level. It never has been, and never will be unless you re-write our Constitution. It's just a loser talking point that got brought up AFTER Hillary lost.

Hillary won the so called "popular vote" in the 2008 Democratic primaries vs Obama, yet Obama won the candidacy because of the delegate count, which is the same method as electors in the General election.

Hillary had 4.5 million more votes in the state of CA this election. But 1 state doesn't get to decide who is President. Trump won 60% of the states and 84% of the counties in the USA. America is a representative republic, and it's clear Trump had MUCH better representation ACROSS the nation.

As far as celebrities attending the inauguration, it's obvious 'celebrity endorsement' does not carry much weight. Hillary had everyone from Robert Dinero, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc, etc ALL stumping for her. Hell, she had Lebron James publicly endorsing her and she LOST Ohio by 10% points. :shock:

Celebrity endorsements only matter to soft skulls that can't think for themselves.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:10 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
MJW wrote:

What's a Leppo?

That was a bad day for Gary Johnson to wake and bake. :stoner: :smokingjoint: :smokingpimp: :smokingweed: :dreads:
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:13 am

I love the statements that we need the electoral college so California and New York can't just decide elections for the country from people that obviously failed math classes. The top 20 metro areas account for third of our population, so even if the Dems took 100% of those votes in those metro areas, they could still lose the election. Why are we pretending the rural areas are more even voting and the metro areas overwhelmingly vote for party when the truth is, in fact, the opposite? Is the math that hard to understand, or do you simply not understand how our population is dispersed?
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:20 am

sanka wrote:
NavyBuc wrote:

Then let them fight for it...If this election thought us something when Trump flipped mostly Democratic states...You can't take States for granted no more.

You'd think Hillary's campaign would've known that already... Trump's did, which is why he campaign in those rust belt states Hillary ignored.

Trump didn't campaign in California b/c he knew it was impossible to win. If the "popular vote" was a thing, he would've campaign there to decrease the margin. But since a candidate can win 100% of the votes in a state and still get the same amount of electoral votes as a candidate that wins it by 1 vote more than the next closest person it didn't make sense.

Elections come down to swing states and Hillary lost all of them, plus she lost Democratic strongholds in the rust belt because of poor Democratic policies hurting that area and her campaign ignoring them during the election. The DNC/Clinton Campaign should've known those areas were going to be contested when Bernie did so well there in the primaries. But Clinton doubled down on her identity politics and the people outside of CA and the NYC area rejected it.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:25 am

bucfanclw wrote:I love the statements that we need the electoral college so California and New York can't just decide elections for the country from people that obviously failed math classes. The top 20 metro areas account for third of our population, so even if the Dems took 100% of those votes in those metro areas, they could still lose the election. Why are we pretending the rural areas are more even voting and the metro areas overwhelmingly vote for party when the truth is, in fact, the opposite? Is the math that hard to understand, or do you simply not understand how our population is dispersed?

Where was your argument against the electoral college before Nov 8th? I'll wait.... :tappingfoot:

The argument against the EC is basically saying that states shouldn't matter. Which isn't surprising from a party that wants to filter all the power up to the federal governement. No borders for states, no borders for the Country. We can just be all one people living together letting the mob rule amirite?
DreadNaught

Next

Return to Politics and Religion