I need the opinion of Republicans

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
I need the opinion of Republicans

Postby Swashy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:31 pm

I'll get straight to it. I need one of you or many of you to rationally explain to me why I should ever trust the Republican party.

I'm 28 years old and in my lifetime I've had a rich capitalist millionaire on the ballot in 6 of 8 elections with the exception of Dole and McCain since 1988. I myself was born a few weeks after Bush defeated Dukakis. There's the 9/11 debacle, two wars in the Middle East by two Bushes, a rigged election in 2000 (if it's not rigged don't destroy the ballots) a president-elect who is instilling Linda ****ing McMahon (aka wife of Vince McMahon of WWE who is Trump's best friend) as head of Small Business Administration and Rex Tillerson (the CEO of Exxon Mobil who is buddy-buddy with Putin) as Secretary of State in the midst of the allegations that Russia may or may not have had a hand in winning the election for said president election.

Why should I overlook this and ever vote Republican?

Now listen, I'm down for guns, God, strong military, limited government and an intense sense of patriotism that just makes you want to scream MERICA!!!!!!! as much as the next American but this is beyond all my comprehension.

Call me misguided. Call me stupid. Tell me to **** off and bury myself I don't care. At this point I see no point to ever support the party that most closely matches my ideals.

Can ANY of you maybe convince me otherwise?
Last edited by Swashy on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swashy

Re: I need the opinion of Republicans

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:01 pm

If you trust any politician, you are nuts
Zarniwoop

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:54 pm

Maybe the party doesn't match your ideals as close as you thought?
PrimeMinister

Postby mightyleemoon » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Don't vote for a party. Vote for the things you care about.

Want gays treated equally? Vote Democrat.
Want easy access to guns? Vote Republican.

Want gays to be treated equally and have easy access to guns? Go **** yourself. That isn't an option.
mightyleemoon

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:49 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:Don't vote for a party. Vote for the things you care about.

Want gays to be treated equally and have easy access to guns? Go **** yourself. That isn't an option.

This cracked me up. Thanks, MLM.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:01 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:Don't vote for a party. Vote for the things you care about.

Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby Swashy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 pm

That's fucked up MLM. I'm convinced now more than ever the only hope for America is for the Democratic party to go back to it's roots and practice a little more social conservatism.
Swashy

Postby HamBone » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Swashy wrote:That's fucked up MLM. I'm convinced now more than ever the only hope for America is for the Democratic party to go back to it's roots and practice a little more social conservatism.

Anyone who thinks Americas only hope is any political party...is a fool.
HamBone

Postby Swashy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:29 pm

HamBone wrote:
Swashy wrote:That's fucked up MLM. I'm convinced now more than ever the only hope for America is for the Democratic party to go back to it's roots and practice a little more social conservatism.

What would that real hope be and how would we attain it? From a political standpoint you will always have parties and parties will beget the leaders who are in place to govern. The problem is that people are too stupid to nominate actual change. Winston Churchill once said that the greatest argument against democracy was to speak with your average voter.
Swashy

Postby HamBone » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 am

Swashy wrote:
HamBone wrote:

What would that real hope be and how would we attain it? From a political standpoint you will always have parties and parties will beget the leaders who are in place to govern. The problem is that people are too stupid to nominate actual change. Winston Churchill once said that the greatest argument against democracy was to speak with your average voter.

Thank goodness we aren't a democracy...
HamBone

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:57 am

HamBone wrote:
Swashy wrote:

But, we are. Sure, not a pure democracy...since we elect representatives. But we do so through majority rule...which is pretty democratic. But, we're also a Republic. I think the best description of our government is that we are a "constitutionally limited representative democratic republic".
mightyleemoon

Postby Swashy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 am

HamBone wrote:
Swashy wrote:

Well again, what would real hope be and how do we attain it? Don't let my tangent at the end distract from the question at hand.
Swashy

Postby Buc2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 am

If the Dem party goes back to its roots, we'll back to Jim Crow laws and KKK lynchings.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby HamBone » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:54 am

Swashy wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Well again, what would real hope be and how do we attain it? Don't let my tangent at the end distract from the question at hand.

If there is a "real hope" it would be the American people to stop looking at political parties as the "savior" or the "real hope"
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 pm

HamBone wrote:
Swashy wrote:

If there is a "real hope" it would be the American people to stop looking at political parties as the "savior" or the "real hope"

When the people elected Trump, the people came as close to not looking at a political party as is probably possible where a candidate has an actual chance of winning.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Buc2 wrote:
HamBone wrote:

When the people elected Trump, the people came as close to not looking at a political party as is probably possible where a candidate has an actual chance of winning.

trump 62,851,436
clinton 65,527,625

The people didn't elect him, the system that values some people's votes a lot higher than others did.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:06 pm

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Corsair » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Buc2 wrote:
HamBone wrote:

LMAO.

You think this is true?
Corsair

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:38 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Buc2 wrote:When the people elected Trump, the people came as close to not looking at a political party as is probably possible where a candidate has an actual chance of winning.

trump 62,851,436
clinton 65,527,625

The people didn't elect him, the system that values some people's votes a lot higher than others did.

Still with this? The state of CA and a few major cities don't get to elect the POTUS. It's NEVER been that way and never will. Just because certain liberals seem to hate borders of any kind doesn't mean we are going to do away with individual states. Which is exactly what they are calling for when they make these types of comments regarding the 'popular vote'. The popular vote is not a thing, it's the equivalent of being the highest scoring offense. Last I checked we never crowned a champion because they scored the most points during the season.

State electors matter just like delegates matter in the primaries. Where where all of these 'popular vote' activists back in '08 when Hillary had more votes than Obama in the primaries but lost the delegate count? Is the argument that popular vote should only matter in the general? But not the primaries? Or just when your preferred candidates doesn't win?
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Corsair wrote:
Buc2 wrote:When the people elected Trump, the people came as close to not looking at a political party as is probably possible where a candidate has an actual chance of winning.

LMAO.

You think this is true?

LMAO

You don't?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:trump 62,851,436
clinton 65,527,625

Still with this? The state of CA and a few major cities don't get to elect the POTUS. It's NEVER been that way and never will. Just because certain liberals seem to hate borders of any kind doesn't mean we are going to do away with individual states. Which is exactly what they are calling for when they make these types of comments regarding the 'popular vote'. The popular vote is not a thing, it's the equivalent of being the highest scoring offense. Last I checked we never crowned a champion because they scored the most points during the season.

State electors matter just like delegates matter in the primaries. Where where all of these 'popular vote' activists back in '08 when Hillary had more votes than Obama in the primaries but lost the delegate count? Is the argument that popular vote should only matter in the general? But not the primaries? Or just when your preferred candidates doesn't win?

He just stated the people elected Trump. I pointed out that is not the case. Sorry to rustle your jimmies.
bucfanclw

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Buc2 wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Trump was pushing the most Republican caricature ever invented during his entire campaign. Millions of people were most definitely voting for a party when they voted for Trump. The rest of them were voting against another candidate and that candidate's party. You're naive if you think this cycle wasn't anything but more of the same.
mightyleemoon

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:11 pm

clinton 65,527,625

The nationwide popular vote doesn't "elect" the President.

bucfanclw wrote:He just stated the people elected Trump. I pointed out that is not the case. Sorry to rustle your jimmies.

Again, you seem to be confused with the word "elect". I don't see where anyone said Trump got the most nationwide votes.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:53 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
clinton 65,527,625

The nationwide popular vote doesn't "elect" the President.

bucfanclw wrote:He just stated the people elected Trump. I pointed out that is not the case. Sorry to rustle your jimmies.

Again, you seem to be confused with the word "elect". I don't see where anyone said Trump got the most nationwide votes.

Did the people directly elect Trump or did he win the electoral collage? Whether or not you agree with the system I don't see how you can argue that "the people" elected him because that is not our system. "The people" chose Clinton, but that doesn't matter.
bucfanclw

Postby Wharf Rat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:01 pm

If we are going to play the semantics game, the States elected Trump.
Wharf Rat

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Wharf Rat wrote:If we are going to play the semantics game, the States elected Trump.

No, the electoral collage WILL elect Trump. It hasn't happened yet.
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm

bucfanclw wrote:Did the people directly elect Trump or did he win the electoral collage?

A collage of electors? Just teasin... How does one win the electoral college?

bucfanclw wrote:Whether or not you agree with the system I don't see how you can argue that "the people" elected him because that is not our system.

First, you were the one that chimed in to 'correct' someone by citing a meaningless metric that you have now stated "doesn't matter"
Second, Trump won 60% of the states and 84% of ALL counties in the US. That is how I can argue 'the people ELECTED' Trump.

bucfanclw wrote:"The people" chose Clinton, but that doesn't matter.

I notice you didn't say the people elected Clinton. But you're correct, the nationwide popular vote does not matter. It has never mattered and is merely a talking point the losing side uses in the rare occurrence it fits there narrative. Winning the popular was never meant determine the President. More people may have voted for Clinton, but she was not elected b/c that's not how it works. Just like she didn't win the '08 Democratic primary despite having more votes overall than Obama.

Hillary had more votes overall (congrats).

Trump was elected President (by the people).
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:33 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:If we are going to play the semantics game, the States elected Trump.

No, the electoral collage WILL elect Trump. It hasn't happened yet.

Is Trump currently the President-ELECT?
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:24 pm

:: insert Chip Kelly/Freeman gif here::

You guys are arguing over **** that doesn't matter.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am

mightyleemoon wrote:

Trump was pushing the most Republican caricature ever invented during his entire campaign. Millions of people were most definitely voting for a party when they voted for Trump. The rest of them were voting against another candidate and that candidate's party. You're naive if you think this cycle wasn't anything but more of the same.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Next

Return to Politics and Religion