CIA and FBI: Russia Interfered in US Election

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
CIA and FBI: Russia Interfered in US Election

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Obama orders a full investigation. To be concluded by the time he leaves office.

This was brought to a bi-partisan "gang of 16" in September including leaders from both parties, intelligence officials, and others. Obama wanted a bipartisan public acknowledgment and action... Mitch McConnell blocked it.

Trump still denies it, despite the fact that intelligence community says it is so.

Maybe if he took part in his daily briefings he would be better educated on the subject.

More to come.
Last edited by Corsair on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Re: CIA: Russia Interfered in US Election

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Corsair wrote:Obama orders a full investigation. To be concluded by the time he leaves office.

This was brought to a bi-partisan "gang of 16" in September including leaders from both parties, intelligence officials, and others. Obama wanted a bipartisan public acknowledgment and action... Mitch McConnell blocked it.

Trump still denies it, despite the fact that intelligence community says it is so.

Maybe if he took part in his daily briefings he would be better educated on the subject.

More to come.

Cool. Hopefully the investigation will reveal the biggest factor in Hillary's loss. Was it White Supremacy, or fake news, or the Russians?
Brazen331

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:28 pm

Typical.

In my opinion, this is more important that any one election or any one candidate. If it is found that our democracy was compromised by a foreign state shouldn't we all be in agreement that that should be rectified?

Or are the majority of you going to side with Mitch McConnell and look the other way because "your candidate" profited from it?
Corsair

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Corsair wrote:Typical.

In my opinion, this is more important that any one election or any one candidate. If it is found that our democracy was compromised by a foreign state shouldn't we all be in agreement that that should be rectified?

Or are the majority of you going to side with Mitch McConnell and look the other way because "your candidate" profited from it?

First of all, he is not my guy. And second, what blame is your side going to take for the loss? Why didn't the 'real news' media, and the liberal establishment drop that pussy-grabbing hot-mike tape during the primary when it could have done some good, stopped the Trump train before it got momentum? Where was the rough reportage on Trump at all during the primaries?

I think we know the answer to that. You guys were doing what you are accusing Russia of, trying to manipulate the election in your favor. Well, you got the exact candidate you were praying for, the one with no chance of winning, and it bit you right in the ass, didn't it?

That said, if it is revealed that there was state-sponsored hacking by Russia, we should cut whatever ties we still have with them, freeze assets, sanction the **** out of Putin, go the whole 9 yards. It should not be too difficult; we don't need their oil or basically anything else they have to offer.
Brazen331

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Brazen331 wrote:That said, if it is revealed that there was state-sponsored hacking by Russia, we should cut whatever ties we still have with them, freeze assets, sanction the **** out of Putin, go the whole 9 yards. It should not be too difficult; we don't need their oil or basically anything else they have to offer.

That's the only relevant part of your post.

We agree.
Corsair

Postby HamBone » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Corsair wrote:Obama orders a full investigation. To be concluded by the time he leaves office.

More to come.

"What difference does it make now?"
HamBone

Postby Swashy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:46 pm

This is as outrageous as it is unsurprising if true. I want to hear the Republicans side of the story (NOT from Tump because all he's gonna do is blow hot air out of his mouth and flex his ego) before coming to a conclusion. Also it's gong be fun listening to conspiracies hatched that this is an elaborate coup by the Obama administration, big gubbermint, the world's 0.01% and the illuminati to get Clinton in office when this in of itself is already morphing into a conspiracy.

I hope we get more than a Washington Post article because these are very big accusations and I question the integrity of the journalism behind this story if all this was, was a petty smear story that'll give people something to talk about for a few days.
Swashy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Let's stop pretending that this is the first time a foreign government meddled in an election.

What are we going to do? Go to war over it?

It did not change the outcome.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Let's stop pretending that this is the first time a foreign government meddled in an election.

What are we going to do? Go to war over it?

It did not change the outcome.

I think that is still to be determined. I'll wait until the review comes back to say it had no effect on the outcome.

There are currently people in the CIA whom believe that if the outcome had been affected that there should be another vote.
Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:32 pm

But speaking to the future, wholesale changes to the security of our election systems, and better vetting of propaganda from foreign fake news sites should be warranted.

And if it can be proven I would push for more sanctions restrictions for Russian-US relations.
Corsair

Postby HamBone » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:57 pm

We should also have better vetting propaganda and domestic fake news sites....and leaking the debate questions to the nominee.

Maybe we should have the government vet the news and web sites.
HamBone

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:05 pm

When discrediting the electoral college fails, grasp onto something else...right?
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Corsair wrote:But speaking to the future, wholesale changes to the security of our election systems, and better vetting of propaganda from foreign fake news sites should be warranted.

And if it can be proven I would push for more sanctions restrictions for Russian-US relations.

How exactly do you vet "propaganda from foreign fake news sites"? just curious
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:02 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Corsair wrote:But speaking to the future, wholesale changes to the security of our election systems, and better vetting of propaganda from foreign fake news sites should be warranted.

He's being facetious and pointing out how much the media tried to help Clinton.

It's hard to call out fake news when obviously biased news presents itself as objective.

He does have a good point.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

It's hard to call out fake news when obviously biased news presents itself as objective.

Was this really what he meant when using the fake news angle? I'm really having trouble grasping his point. Hillary spent 1.6 billion on this campaign. That is basically a billion dollars more than her opponent. Her opponent was not necessarily even trying all that hard to win. Why can't the explanation be that she was just a crap candidate.

This reminds of that Harvard forum with the Democrats blaming Conway of using White Supremacy to win. Who would have thought in this day and age that white supremacy had so much cache. I guess it does. There were over 60 members of the media covering that alt-right meeting in DC and there were only about 200 people there.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:26 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:He's being facetious and pointing out how much the media tried to help Clinton.

Was this really what he meant when using the fake news angle? I'm really having trouble grasping his point. Hillary spent 1.6 billion on this campaign. That is basically a billion dollars more than her opponent. Her opponent was not necessarily even trying all that hard to win. Why can't the explanation be that she was just a crap candidate.

This reminds of that Harvard forum with the Democrats blaming Conway of using White Supremacy to win. Who would have thought in this day and age that white supremacy had so much cache. I guess it does. There were over 60 members of the media covering that alt-right meeting in DC and there were only about 200 people there.

That is the idiocy going on during the post mortem of the campaign. Prominent Democrats are refusing to consider the possibility that an enormous mistake was made both in nominating Clinton and how she ran her campaign.

Rather than address these issues, they are stupidly blaming racists, the alt-right, Russia, fake news, and whatever they come up with next week.

All those things I listed are real, but they are only indicative of the lunatic asylum the GOP has become.

Democrats are completely missing the fact that they lost the rust belt and whatever foothold they had in the south. SERIOUS strategic errors are being made.

Trump cast himself as anti-establishment and Clinton NEVER challenged premise. She allowed herself to be the establishment candidate and walked head long into a populist wave.

Which means she learned nothing from Bernie's challenge to her coronation.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:05 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Really? Can you confirm, Corsair? I took it straight up, that "in the future, we need to ensure that fake news from other countries doesn't impact elections."

And I'm curious if he's thought about any possible way to do that, or what sort of rule one could make to accomplish such a thing; or if it's just, with all due respect, rhetoric?
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:26 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:He's being facetious and pointing out how much the media tried to help Clinton.

Really? Can you confirm, Corsair? I took it straight up, that "in the future, we need to ensure that fake news from other countries doesn't impact elections."

And I'm curious if he's thought about any possible way to do that, or what sort of rule one could make to accomplish such a thing; or if it's just, with all due respect, rhetoric?

You can't legislate it... well, you could, but you are then taking a serious shot at freedom of the press.

Editor of the Daily Kos got into that on the radio this evening and his concern is that it could go down that way.

MSM's monopoly on news and opinion is threatened now and so long as they present biased news presented as objective, the line between them and fake news is blurred. The solution being acknowledging what we already know.

Cited Britain as an example since fake news is not an issue and wasn't an issue during the brexit debate. Everyone over there knows the political biases the newspapers have over there.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Is this a serious post? :cartman:
DreadNaught

Postby Nano » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 pm

Let's just invade Russia already.
Nano

Postby MJW » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Corsair wrote:Typical.

I agree 100%.

It's just like when these same intelligence-gathering agencies told us about the WMDs in Iraq and we found that our safety was compromised by a foreign state, and we all agreed that should be rectified. It's obvious that neither these agencies, nor the news sources they leak to, are capable of operating in service of the government narrative instead of the truth.

Now if you'll excuse me, I understand that the CIA just informed Joe McCarthy about commies infiltrating Congress, and as you say, if our democracy is compromised by a foreign state we must rectify that situation.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:53 pm

By the way, here are some things that don't find the MSM's definition of "fake news:"

The Bush guard memo story.
Jayson Blair.
Walter Duranty.
Lara Logan.
Brian Williams.
The Conde Nast investigation.
The UVA and Duke rape stories.
Stephen Glass's career.
Gary Webb.
Janet Cooke.
The Hitler Diaries.
Judith Miller in Iraq.
Jack Kelley's career.
CNN getting the Boston Bombers wrong.
The Dateline NBC exploding car.

Etc.

I'm glad these folks are here to protect us from "fake news."
MJW

Postby Wharf Rat » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:20 am

More to come.

I like how you state that "Russia interfered in US Election" as if there is any solid evidence to substantiate such a claim. You read a Washington Post article and are taking it as gospel truth. That's some funny ****. Hold on, I'll be right back with an article from "Natural News" that'll refute your claims!
Wharf Rat

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:37 pm

" So Russia hacked the US election. The CIA says they clearly influenced the election. But I don't care if a foreign nation committed an act of war, corrupted our process and changed everything for our country because I voted for Trump. And like Trump all that matters is that I am good, even if the country is greatly harmed by clear treason." Said everyone who voted for Trump.
Babeinbucland

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Wharf Rat wrote:

More to come.

I like how you state that "Russia interfered in US Election" as if there is any solid evidence to substantiate such a claim. You read a Washington Post article and are taking it as gospel truth. That's some funny ****. Hold on, I'll be right back with an article from "Natural News" that'll refute your claims!

The CIA has stated unequivocally that there is indisputable evidence. And it is abundantly clear that Mitch McConnel knew about it and blocked efforts to investigate before the election. SO what part of that changes your position? Yeah, it doesn't because you put partisan bullshit ahead of a communist country influencing our election. That doesn't make you a patriot. It means you side with a communist country because you think it will somehow help you on a personal level. Think about what that makes you. Take all the time you need.
Babeinbucland

Postby Wharf Rat » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:20 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:

The CIA has stated unequivocally that there is indisputable evidence. And it is abundantly clear that Mitch McConnel knew about it and blocked efforts to investigate before the election. SO what part of that changes your position? Yeah, it doesn't because you put partisan bullshit ahead of a communist country influencing our election. That doesn't make you a patriot. It means you side with a communist country because you think it will somehow help you on a personal level. Think about what that makes you. Take all the time you need.

"Indisputable evidence" huh? Where are you getting that from? Because even the Washington Post article isn't that strongly worded. Seems all to vague right now for me to take it seriously. Liberals right now are grasping at everything imaginable in an effort to delegitimize Trump's win. So pardon me if I wait until the investigation is over. I won't be taking "reports" from liberal and biased "news" outlets, such as MSNBC, CNN, Washington Post, New York Times and Huffington Post very seriously either.
Last edited by Wharf Rat on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wharf Rat

Postby Babeinbucland » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:39 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:

"Indisputable evidence" huh? Where are you getting that from? Because even the Washington Post article isn't that strongly worded. Seems all to vague right now for me to take it seriously. Liberals right now are grasping at everything imaginable in an effort to delegitimize Trump's win. So pardon me if I wait until the investigation is over. I won't be taking "reporting" from liberal and biased "news" outlets, such as MSNBC, CNN, Washington Post, New York Times and Huffington Post very seriously either.

Ok so which source would you believe. And if that source said Trump and Russia were involved in influencing the election, what would be your position?
Babeinbucland

Postby Wharf Rat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:46 am

Babeinbucland wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:
"Indisputable evidence" huh? Where are you getting that from? Because even the Washington Post article isn't that strongly worded. Seems all to vague right now for me to take it seriously. Liberals right now are grasping at everything imaginable in an effort to delegitimize Trump's win. So pardon me if I wait until the investigation is over. I won't be taking "reporting" from liberal and biased "news" outlets, such as MSNBC, CNN, Washington Post, New York Times and Huffington Post very seriously either.

Ok so which source would you believe. And if that source said Trump and Russia were involved in influencing the election, what would be your position?

Oh so now you're saying Trump was involved too?

If the investigation, that was recently ordered, finds that Russia was involved in influencing our election, then obviously it would be a serious offense. Right now there is nothing more than speculation.
Wharf Rat

Postby Corsair » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:09 am

Wharf Rat wrote:Right now there is nothing more than speculation.

Does a CIA assessment = speculation?

There's a different burden upon the FBI and CIA. The FBI is required to act on the burden of prosecution, the CIA is to make assessments of our known intelligence.

It's an important distinction.
Corsair

Postby Wharf Rat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:21 am

Corsair wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:Right now there is nothing more than speculation.

Does a CIA assessment = speculation?

There's a different burden upon the FBI and CIA. The FBI is required to act on the burden of prosecution, the CIA is to make assessments of our known intelligence.

It's an important distinction.

If it is anything more than speculation, then why did Obama order an investigation?
Wharf Rat

Next

Return to Politics and Religion