CIA and FBI: Russia Interfered in US Election

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: CIA and FBI: Russia Interfered in US Election

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm

There seem to be some good young D congressmen and women. They have to get Pelosi and Waters and that ilk off the TV

And they absolutely have to get away from the us vs them mentality when it comes to identity. But sadly they are doubling down on it

The Rs used to be the party of exclusions, it’s polar opposite now
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:There seem to be some good young D congressmen and women. They have to get Pelosi and Waters and that ilk off the TV

And they absolutely have to get away from the us vs them mentality when it comes to identity. But sadly they are doubling down on it

Pelosi and Waters are just floating along in congress with no clue about this or.....much of anything else.

But yes, the party is far too old and needs an ideological transfusion.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:There seem to be some good young D congressmen and women. They have to get Pelosi and Waters and that ilk off the TV

Pelosi and Waters are just floating along in congress with no clue about this or.....much of anything else.

...just not to this guy though

please. for the love of god, don't skip over the respectable and measured liberal class and hand the keys to these stupid bastards that Hillary's farm has been sowing for the past 3 years
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:11 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Pelosi and Waters are just floating along in congress with no clue about this or.....much of anything else.

...just not to this guy though

please. for the love of god, don't skip over the respectable and measured liberal class and hand the keys to these stupid bastards that Hillary's farm has been sowing for the past 3 years

**** that kid.

It's a god awful line to walk between listening to the voters and "you are 19 years old and know **** about ****".
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:28 am

Anyone think they'll actually go after Sessions for perjury since he straight up admitted to it?
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:42 am

bucfanclw wrote:Anyone think they'll actually go after Sessions for perjury since he straight up admitted to it?

You believe Sessions orchestrated Russian collusion with the Trump campaign?
DreadNaught

Postby Pirate Life » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:53 am

DreadNaught wrote:Apparently for just $1,342.07 you too can influence the Presidential election!!

I mean this is quickly becoming bad joke!! By "this" I'm referring to this narrative the social media ad's on FB influenced the election. These are ads/memes released by the House Intel Committee that the social media tech giants provided to them that were traced back to Russia.

These memes are no different than the run of mill stuff we saw all over the internet during the election. Trump spent almost $1 BILLION and Hillary spent closer to $1.5 BILLION (in addition to rigging the DNC primary, but more on that later). Yet we are being led to believe that 1300 dollars worth of FB ads influenced the election.

It's not the amount spent that matters (it's $150,000 in Facebook advertising, not $1300), you're stuck thinking in terms of old advertising pre-social media/data mining. It's far easier to target people with relevant ads and get a 'word of mouth'/viral thing going on with far less cash than it used to be thanks to the data Facebook and other media companies has at their fingertips on users likes/dislikes and interests (not to mention you can choose to pay per click with your ad/sponsored post - you don't pay per person viewing it, not everyone shares posts they read). Facebook's on the record stating that the Russian ads reached 126 million people - and that doesn't include the ones on Instagram FB also identified (for the record, the FB ads from the $150k buys reached about 29 million people initially who then shared them on their timelines).

When reading the testimony from the FB people, what they've said is the initial posts (mind you these are sponsored posts not the ads in the sidebar most people don't notice) reached about 29 million people. From those 29 million people, the posts were shared with 97 million other people. That's pretty damn effective if you are getting the usual conversion rate of about 2.35% for an ad. That's over two and a half million people seeing/acting on those posts. That's essentially the difference in the nationwide popular vote, a not so insignificant number of people in an election that was essentially decided by about 100,000 votes (Trump's lead in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania).

Consider that the figure of $150,000 paid for by Russia accounts for the purchases from one organization in Russia that was involved with this - and isn't even a complete total of what they spent as they paid for things on other social media sites. There's $300,000 paid for sponsored posts/ads on Twitter and undisclosed amounts from other Russian groups that set up pages like 'Heart of Texas' that had close to 250,000 followers or 'SecuredBorders' that had about 130,000 followers - or the accounts set up with borrowed identities of real US residents who are muslims that would make pro-ISIS posts (some who purchased undisclosed amounts of advertising). Look at @Ten_GOP, they had 130,000 followers and were retweeted by people in the Trump campaign and conservative media quite a bit - while the real Tennessee Republican party continually complained to Twitter that it was a fake account.

Also, you're incorrect on how much the campaigns spent, that's how much they raised. Here's an article that shows the campaigns (and the associated PACS spent far, far less: http://metrocosm.com/2016-election-spending/ (granted it's not complete as the article was published the day before the election, but it is a good representation I'd guess). More was spent in the previous presidential elections.

I'm certainly not one of the folks that thinks the election needs to be redone or anything like that - I hated both candidates and thought we would all lose no matter who won. But we need to realize these efforts weren't ineffective - some of these efforts lead to actual protests and in some cases, competing protests in the same spot. Because there's going to be other people besides Russia looking at how effective this was - especially considering how little they spent in relation to the exposure they got.

Did the meme ads determine the election? No, probably not. Did all of the efforts of the Russians to influence the election affect the outcome? Much more difficult question to answer. In an election where one can say more people voted against a candidate than for one, it's certainly a possibility as negative ads have been shown to be more effective in campaigns than positive ones. In these cases, it goes even further by giving the appearance of not being a campaign ad, but rather a 'grassroots' sort of thing rather than something organized. Also, consider that Russia may not have been trying to influence who won, but rather to stoke division in the country and erode trust in our system of government/elections. If that was their goal, certainly seems like they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams no?
Pirate Life

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 am

DreadNaught wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Anyone think they'll actually go after Sessions for perjury since he straight up admitted to it?

No, but he admitted to lying during sworn testimony regarding his knowledge of meetings...you know... perjury.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am

I don't think the Feds prosecute perjury for high ranking officials.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am

Buc2 wrote:I don't think the Feds prosecute perjury for high ranking officials.

Bill Clinton on line one
Scooter Libby on line two
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:55 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I don't think the Feds prosecute perjury for high ranking officials.

Bill Clinton on line one

Bill Clinton wasn't prosecuted for perjury. He was, however, impeached for perjury. Yep...Libby was prosecuted and convicted. My bad. Never mind that I posted that tongue-in-cheek.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:06 am

bucfanclw wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

No, but he admitted to lying during sworn testimony regarding his knowledge of meetings...you know... perjury.

While I don't follow this stuff closely enough to know the full details, I think any elected official or Washington bureaucrat should be pursued if they committed perjury

That being said, I don't think it will happen
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:54 am

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Bill Clinton on line one

Bill Clinton wasn't prosecuted for perjury. He was, however, impeached for perjury. Yep...Libby was prosecuted and convicted. My bad. Never mind that I posted that tongue-in-cheek.

I thought you might have and almost didn't post anything.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 pm

WASHINGTON — A group of conservative Republican lawmakers introduced a resolution on Friday calling for Robert Mueller to recuse himself as the special counsel investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 US election.

Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida, Andy Biggs of Arizona, and Louie Gohmert of Texas say Mueller should step down because he was the FBI director in 2010, when US agencies approved a deal for a Russian nuclear-energy firm to buy Uranium One, a Canadian energy company. The deal required approval because Uranium One had significant uranium operations in the US

TOTAL Bullshit! That's my ****ing congressman too.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
WASHINGTON — A group of conservative Republican lawmakers introduced a resolution on Friday calling for Robert Mueller to recuse himself as the special counsel investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 US election.

Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida, Andy Biggs of Arizona, and Louie Gohmert of Texas say Mueller should step down because he was the FBI director in 2010, when US agencies approved a deal for a Russian nuclear-energy firm to buy Uranium One, a Canadian energy company. The deal required approval because Uranium One had significant uranium operations in the US

So you don't think Mueller has any conflicts when it comes to investigating the conduct of the FBI that he was the Director of at the time?

What do think about Mueller's connection to the IT firm that the DNC contracted to look at their "hacked server"? No issue there either?
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:10 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

So you don't think Mueller has any conflicts when it comes to investigating the conduct of the FBI that he was the Director of at the time?

What do think about Mueller's connection to the IT firm that the DNC contracted to look at their "hacked server"? No issue there either?

Do you believe he's falsifying evidence?
bucfanclw

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:11 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

For the last time. Uranium one had nothing to do with Hillary, nothing to do with the FBI. This is about trying to dismantle an investigation that just brought charges against 2 people who worked for the campaign.

Matt Gaetz (whom I've met) is an idiot of the ninth order. He also happens to be in a district the President won by 40 points.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:18 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Babeinbucland

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:17 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

For the last time. Uranium one had nothing to do with Hillary, nothing to do with the FBI. This is about trying to dismantle an investigation that just brought charges against 2 people who worked for the campaign.

Matt Gaetz (whom I've met) is an idiot of the ninth order. He also happens to be in a district the President won by 40 points.

For the last time???? You must have a lot of insider info to make such a blanket statement. Seems like the Dems want to have their cake and eat it too, here.

If Russia is the ultimate adversary, the extreme danger to the USA that they just became to excuse an election loss, why can’t we investigate collusion everywhere? Why does it have to be on just one side, an investigation begun with manufactured, paid-for evidence at that?

After all these months, look at what is generating headlines: did Carter Page take a trip to Russia, if so, who did he talk to about it? Did Papydoupolus speak to a a Russian Ambassador, if so, who knew?

I can guarantee you someone involved with the Clinton campaign most likely travelled to Russia during the election. Someone involved with Clinton probably spoke with a Russian. Why can’t we investigate it?

You know at least one person involved with the Sanders camp spoke with a Russian during the election. What did they talk about? We need to know. And all those Republicans that ran. Someone involved with those campaigns had to have had a conversation with a Russian. When will we grasp the absurdity of all this?
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:05 am

Wait. For. Mueller.

My congressman doesn't want to because he's an idiot who is trying to dismantle the investigation and score brownie points with the RNC.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:18 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:For the last time. Uranium one had nothing to do with Hillary, nothing to do with the FBI. This is about trying to dismantle an investigation that just brought charges against 2 people who worked for the campaign.

For the last time???? You must have a lot of insider info to make such a blanket statement. Seems like the Dems want to have their cake and eat it too, here.

If Russia is the ultimate adversary, the extreme danger to the USA that they just became to excuse an election loss, why can’t we investigate collusion everywhere? Why does it have to be on just one side, an investigation begun with manufactured, paid-for evidence at that?

After all these months, look at what is generating headlines: did Carter Page take a trip to Russia, if so, who did he talk to about it? Did Papydoupolus speak to a a Russian Ambassador, if so, who knew?

I can guarantee you someone involved with the Clinton campaign most likely travelled to Russia during the election. Someone involved with Clinton probably spoke with a Russian. Why can’t we investigate it?

You know at least one person involved with the Sanders camp spoke with a Russian during the election. What did they talk about? We need to know. And all those Republicans that ran. Someone involved with those campaigns had to have had a conversation with a Russian. When will we grasp the absurdity of all this?

Good lord... the butthurt is strong with this one.
bucfanclw

Postby StillCSG » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:52 pm

ANOTHER Trump Cabinet member lied about FINANCIAL TIES to Russia...

Color me shocked
StillCSG

Postby Babeinbucland » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:For the last time. Uranium one had nothing to do with Hillary, nothing to do with the FBI. This is about trying to dismantle an investigation that just brought charges against 2 people who worked for the campaign.

Let me see if I’ve got this straight...
The Media = lying
Mueller = lying
Comey = lying
Obama = lying
Clinton = lying
Judges = lying
Sexual assault accusers = lying
Scientists regarding climate change = lying
Doctors regarding the ACA = lying
Mother of slain U.S. soldier = lying
Intelligence community = lying
Vladimir Putin = “He means it. I believe him.”

Did I get that clearly?
Babeinbucland

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:58 am

Depends on whether your lying or not.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Me thinks you got that backwards

Here is a line. Anything before that line doesnt count. We. We are only interested in what happened after that line...

open and transparent
mdb1958

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 am

mdb1958 wrote:

Me thinks you got that backwards

Here is a line. Anything before that line doesnt count. We. We are only interested in what happened after that line...

open and transparent

Interesting commentary, mdb. I wonder if MB can mount a credible defense to counteract your criticism here?
Brazen331

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:32 am

Here is a triangle. That's 3 lines, therefore it's more important.

Make Drains Swamp Again.
bucfanclw

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 am

bucfanclw wrote:Here is a triangle. That's 3 lines, therefore it's more important.

Make Drains Swamp Again.

Figures you'd take mdb's post and triangulate it, so Clintonesque. Depending on how old you are, you probably voted for a Clinton 4 times in Democrat Primaries.
Brazen331

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 am

Can we investigate Trump’s meetings with Putin during this recent Asian trip? They could have been discussing ways to cover up their collusion.

I hope we can since we seemingly can’t investigate any Democrat collusion with Russia without Dems whining about unfairness and how this would only be an attempt to sidetrack their investigation.

Wouldn’t it be nice to know if the FBI opened an investigation solely on the basis of a fraudulent document that HRC and the DNC concocted? Wouldn’t it be nice to know if the FISA court allowed the Ovama administration to spy on Trump’s campaign solely because of a fake dossier? Wouldn’t it be nice to know if the FBI was paying Mr. Steele?

No, I guess we arn’t interested in finding that stuff out. We only want to know if Don Jr. or Carter Page or Pappydappy met with a Russian ambassador.
Brazen331

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:25 am

Brazen331 wrote:Can we investigate Trump’s meetings with Putin during this recent Asian trip? They could have been discussing ways to cover up their collusion.

I hope we can since we seemingly can’t investigate any Democrat collusion with Russia without Dems whining about unfairness and how this would only be an attempt to sidetrack their investigation.

Wouldn’t it be nice to know if the FBI opened an investigation solely on the basis of a fraudulent document that HRC and the DNC concocted? Wouldn’t it be nice to know if the FISA court allowed the Ovama administration to spy on Trump’s campaign solely because of a fake dossier? Wouldn’t it be nice to know if the FBI was paying Mr. Steele?

No, I guess we arn’t interested in finding that stuff out. We only want to know if Don Jr. or Carter Page or Pappydappy met with a Russian ambassador.

Speaking of "histrionic melodrama"...
bucfanclw

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion