Cherrypicking Trump's Agenda to Suit Me.

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Cherrypicking Trump's Agenda to Suit Me.

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:11 am

Alpha wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:MB - What is your stance on immigration as a whole? And specifically with Mexico?

A physical border w/ Mexico has been a bipartsin issue for years and even Hillary and other Dems have spoken about the need for it in the past. Now Trump comes along with all this talk of a 'great HYUUGGEE wall' and the it's as if a physical border is the worst idea ever.

I will get more into this later when I have some time, but at a high level I do NOT support any thought of mass deportation or assembling a deportation force to huddle together the 11m illegals we have in the country. But we do have immigration laws in this country and they are not enforced. We are a country of laws, so imo it's a slippery slope to start cherry picking which laws we enforce and which we don't. If we aren't going to enforce immigration law, or do so selectively as is done now than we need to change the law imo.

Anyways, I respect your opinion and was just curious where you stood on this.

LMAO!

This issue caused me no end of hilarity during the run-up.

1) Mass amnesty has been done several times. Including during the Reagan administration.

2) We have sufficient laws regarding illegal immigration. We DO NOT NEED MORE LAWS. We need sufficient staffing and funding to ENFORCE current laws.

3) A WALL is the most ridiculous/idiotic/RETARDED idea ever conceived. First...WHO IN THE **** DO YOU THINK IS GONNA BUILD THE WALL?! Mexican laborers, perhaps? Second...Those sumbitches are the most McGuyver-ing people you've ever seen. They'll build submarines out of Hondas, tunnels 3 miles long, what-the-fuck-ever to get across the border. Third...good luck getting the funding from Congress, many of whom you've ROYALLY pissed off during your run. A total waste of money for a project that is doomed to fail. Take that money and fund The INS, Border Patrol, etc. Ya know...something that would actually be USEFUL.

4) The laws being enforced are ALWAYS cherry picked. That is a matter of necessity as well as common sense. Maybe...and I know this is crazy...but MAYBE...we can take some of "law enforcement" and have them stop throwing folks in jail for smoking a JOINT and have them focus on illegal immigrants and securing our borders. Yeah...that's too crazy to ever actually work.

I actually believe that FISCALLY, Trump could do this country some good...as long as he's innovative and doesn't retreat to already proven failures like "Trickle-Down Economics".

Foreign-policy-wise, I'd be pleasantly SHOCKED if he doesn't **** things up royally. It'll be interesting to see who comprises his cabinet.

One thing is for certain: Pence is gonna be the hardest working VP in US history. LMFAO!

I agree with this post except for two clarifications.

One, our foreign policy was ALREADY fucked up, only there were more stories about Bush's failed FP on any given day of his administration than there were in all eight years of Obama's. I wonder if folks have any idea how many countries we have boots on the ground in right now? Or how much the death toll escalated in Afghanistan under Obama? I can't remember the last time I heard a report on the war dead, actually, unless it was someone local. Or how about the expansion of torture powers in foreign countries? Or our newfound affection for drone warfare?

So, I'm not really that worried about Trump making it worse. I'm still curious why I should be terrified of Russia. I thought the cold war was over and we were friends now?

Two, I think trickle-down economics are why the economy boomed in Clinton's first term. I don't think there's much a POTUS can even DO in that span of time to quickly improve the economy. But I don't want to argue about economics.

Otherwise, spot on.
MJW

Postby deltbucs » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:38 am

Alpha wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:MB - What is your stance on immigration as a whole? And specifically with Mexico?

A physical border w/ Mexico has been a bipartsin issue for years and even Hillary and other Dems have spoken about the need for it in the past. Now Trump comes along with all this talk of a 'great HYUUGGEE wall' and the it's as if a physical border is the worst idea ever.

I will get more into this later when I have some time, but at a high level I do NOT support any thought of mass deportation or assembling a deportation force to huddle together the 11m illegals we have in the country. But we do have immigration laws in this country and they are not enforced. We are a country of laws, so imo it's a slippery slope to start cherry picking which laws we enforce and which we don't. If we aren't going to enforce immigration law, or do so selectively as is done now than we need to change the law imo.

Anyways, I respect your opinion and was just curious where you stood on this.

LMAO!

This issue caused me no end of hilarity during the run-up.

1) Mass amnesty has been done several times. Including during the Reagan administration.

2) We have sufficient laws regarding illegal immigration. We DO NOT NEED MORE LAWS. We need sufficient staffing and funding to ENFORCE current laws.

3) A WALL is the most ridiculous/idiotic/RETARDED idea ever conceived. First...WHO IN THE **** DO YOU THINK IS GONNA BUILD THE WALL?! Mexican laborers, perhaps? Second...Those sumbitches are the most McGuyver-ing people you've ever seen. They'll build submarines out of Hondas, tunnels 3 miles long, what-the-fuck-ever to get across the border. Third...good luck getting the funding from Congress, many of whom you've ROYALLY pissed off during your run. A total waste of money for a project that is doomed to fail. Take that money and fund The INS, Border Patrol, etc. Ya know...something that would actually be USEFUL.

4) The laws being enforced are ALWAYS cherry picked. That is a matter of necessity as well as common sense. Maybe...and I know this is crazy...but MAYBE...we can take some of "law enforcement" and have them stop throwing folks in jail for smoking a JOINT and have them focus on illegal immigrants and securing our borders. Yeah...that's too crazy to ever actually work.

I actually believe that FISCALLY, Trump could do this country some good...as long as he's innovative and doesn't retreat to already proven failures like "Trickle-Down Economics".

Foreign-policy-wise, I'd be pleasantly SHOCKED if he doesn't **** things up royally. It'll be interesting to see who comprises his cabinet.

One thing is for certain: Pence is gonna be the hardest working VP in US history. LMFAO!

Don't worry. He's already surrounding himself with the regulars...the Koch brother's best guys and Goldman Sachs lobbyist etc....so it's safe to say it'll be the same people that are really running the show that always are. Except now the face of it is a thin-skinned ***** that could fly off the handle at the flip of a switch and do something really bad.
deltbucs

Postby Alpha » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:24 am

MJW wrote:Two, I think trickle-down economics are why the economy boomed in Clinton's first term. I don't think there's much a POTUS can even DO in that span of time to quickly improve the economy. But I don't want to argue about economics.

Otherwise, spot on.

Obviously, you can make history, pretty much, conform to whatever political philosophy you wish. I would suppose, if I were you, argue that the theory had been practiced for the previous 12 YEARS and that Clinton was the beneficiary of those results. Of course, if you play that line of logic out to it's end, than NO President has ANY influence on what occurs during their presidency (economically speaking) and are the results of PREVIOUS economic policies. Ipso Facto, ANYTHING that happens under the Trump regime (again, economically speaking) would be to the credit or detriment of Obama?

Please...let's argue economics. You'd be so far out of your depth that it would be amusing...to me.
Alpha

Postby Corsair » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:32 pm

I hope you guys like waffles!

Paul Ryan: There will be no deportation force.
Corsair

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Corsair wrote:I hope you guys like waffles!

Paul Ryan: There will be no deportation force.

So you would admit that the people who said that Trump was unlikely to be able to do a lot of the things he was campaigning on were right? That those of us who said 'checks and balances' while you were screaming Nazi might have had a voice worth listening to? Kudos for finally posting evidence of you being wrong.
Ken Carson

Postby Corsair » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:21 pm

I'll admit when I was wrong.

Apparently Trump DOES intent to deport 3 million undocumented immigrants.

Mea Culpa

It seems Paul Ryan didn't get the memo.
Corsair

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Corsair wrote:I'll admit when I was wrong.

Mea Culpa

Did you read the article or the headline? Wondering because I'm fine with our country deporting illegal immigrants who have been convicted of crimes here in the US. Are you advocating for them to remain here?
Ken Carson

Postby HamBone » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Corsair wrote:I'll admit when I was wrong.

Mea Culpa

Did you read the article or the headline? Wondering because I'm fine with our country deporting illegal immigrants who have been convicted of crimes here in the US. Are you advocating for them to remain here?

Isn't that basically Obama's policy?
HamBone

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:34 pm

HamBone wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Did you read the article or the headline? Wondering because I'm fine with our country deporting illegal immigrants who have been convicted of crimes here in the US. Are you advocating for them to remain here?

Isn't that basically Obama's policy?

Well, to be fair to Obama, that is basically the extent of his deportation. If that's as far as Donald wants to go, many of his supporters will be pissed.
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:55 am

Bump for SD who is thus far satisfied with the President's legislative and executive accomplishments.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Bump for SD who is thus far satisfied with the President's legislative and executive accomplishments.

Well some folks are satisfied with nothing and just thankful he has not blown us to smithereens.
Babeinbucland

Postby Alpha » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:56 am

MJW wrote:

One, our foreign policy was ALREADY fucked up, only there were more stories about Bush's failed FP on any given day of his administration than there were in all eight years of Obama's. I wonder if folks have any idea how many countries we have boots on the ground in right now? Or how much the death toll escalated in Afghanistan under Obama? I can't remember the last time I heard a report on the war dead, actually, unless it was someone local. Or how about the expansion of torture powers in foreign countries? Or our newfound affection for drone warfare?

So, I'm not really that worried about Trump making it worse. I'm still curious why I should be terrified of Russia. I thought the cold war was over and we were friends now?

Two, I think trickle-down economics are why the economy boomed in Clinton's first term. I don't think there's much a POTUS can even DO in that span of time to quickly improve the economy. But I don't want to argue about economics.

Otherwise, spot on.

After 8 months of your king...care to re-visit?

I understand. Some of you are so invested in this mockery of a "presidency", that you'll never be able to back-track and admit what is clearly obvious to most.

On the other hand, it's good to see that 8 years of Obama's economic policies have enabled our current Wall St. boom.

The happiest guy in the world is W. Who, in a million years, would've longed for the days of that ass-hat?

Jeesh. What a Mongolian Shit-Show...
Alpha

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 am

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:

Otherwise, spot on.

I understand. Some of you are so invested in this mockery of a "presidency", that you'll never be able to back-track and admit what is clearly obvious to most.

On the other hand, it's good to see that 8 years of Obama's economic policies have enabled our current Wall St. boom.

The happiest guy in the world is W. Who, in a million years, would've longed for the days of that ass-hat?

I think the only positives she will be able to muster about Trump will be to instead point out some of Obama failings. That's pretty much all Trump supporters have. "Well, Obama..." or "But, Clinton..."

Yet, call in an Obama/Bush/Clinton supporter and I bet they have a laundry list of positives they can go with. Trump? The dude has nothing but the low hanging fruit of trade. And, regardless of who ended up in that office, TPP was doomed as it stood. Hell, even if Obama went for a third term I have a feeling he would have given up that failing quest against China.
mightyleemoon

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:22 pm

From the OP

Taxes:

All other Americans will get a simpler tax code with four brackets – 0%, 10%, 20% and 25% – instead of the current seven. This new tax code eliminates the marriage penalty and the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) while providing the lowest tax rate since before World War II.

A one-time deemed repatriation of corporate cash held overseas at a significantly discounted 10% tax rate.

I would add the stipulation that the remaining money may only be repatriated at this rate if it is distributed as dividends to individual shareholders of common stock and shareholders of mutual funds within the same tax year. Otherwise, it'll get plundered by the ***holes who stashed it offshore in the first place.
An end to the deferral of taxes on corporate income earned abroad. Corporations will no longer be allowed to defer taxes on income earned abroad, but the foreign tax credit will remain in place because no company should face double taxation.

at least there's some consistency.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:30 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I think the only positives she will be able to muster about Trump will be to instead point out some of Obama failings. That's pretty much all Trump supporters have. "Well, Obama..." or "But, Clinton..."

I've been vocally NeverTrump since the guy was still doing Pizza Hut commercials Sparky. I voted for Gary Johnson the last two elections and Bob Barr before that. Not everyone falls into the nitwit dichotomy.
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:31 am

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:

Otherwise, spot on.

Re-visit what exactly? The part about the world not exploding, or the part where I don't give Trump credit for the economy? I'm happy to stand by both.
MJW

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion