Ideology

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Ideology

Postby deltbucs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:17 pm

HamBone wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Quick question, and anyone here can participate:

Do you support the president's change in LGBTQ Trans-rights by letting the states decide?

Do you also support the president's return to federal cannabis law enforcement bypassing several state legalization laws?

Yes. And marijuana should be legalized...

How do you decide which civil liberties the states should decide and which the federal government should rule over? That seems ass backwards to me.
deltbucs

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:
Ok...then the Administration and I disagree on the subject of marijuana.

But, I would agree that they shouldn't encourage drug use...hell, they shouldn't encourage the consumption of alcohol.

And if the statement is all they do about it then it's fine.

The federal government shouldn't meddle with the states on this.

Agreed
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Corsair wrote:
Buc2 wrote:So states rights is great so long as they're supporting a position you favor. If you don't favor a position, then you'd be all for federal government intervention. Got it.

Quick question, and anyone here can participate:

Do you support the president's change in LGBTQ Trans-rights by letting the states decide? Yes

Do you also support the president's return to federal cannabis law enforcement bypassing several state legalization laws? No
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby HamBone » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 pm

deltbucs wrote:
HamBone wrote:Yes. And marijuana should be legalized...

How do you decide which civil liberties the states should decide and which the federal government should rule over? That seems ass backwards to me.

Which civil liberties are you referring to?
HamBone

Postby Wharf Rat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The federal government shouldn't meddle with the states on this.

I agree.

I'd be interested where they got their data that led them to believe that marijuana use led to the opioid epidemic. I can't speak for anywhere else in this country, but I know that crooked doctors, who ran "pill mills", are to blame for the opioid epidemic in Florida. Now that the DEA is cracking down on those doctors, we are seeing an increase of hospital admissions related to heroin addiction. It seems like straight bullshit to blame opiate addiction on marijuana.
Wharf Rat

Postby Corsair » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:33 pm

The opioid addiction is because patients who have been given prescriptions for opioid painkillers must replace that opioid with another once their prescription runs out or insurance no longer pays for it.

States with medical marijuana actually have less instances of opioid addiction and health care costs go down.

Big Pharma loses money in states with medical marijuana.
Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:42 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:SD bores me. Let's move on.

Populism

It fueled Bernie and it fueled Trump. Both parties are in the midst of some serious infighting as the populists from Occupy Wall Street and the Tea Party have begun taking over and in the case of the GOP, have taken over.

I'll let one of you guys talk about the GOP, I'll talk about the DNC and what I see as going on over there.

Bernie's "Political Revolution" that he called for..(systematic takeover from city councils, to state legislatures, and up by progressives)..is beginning. The rank and file progressives want a complete overhaul of DNC leadership. Pelosi, The Clintons, The Obamas, all gone. They cite the loss of over 1,000 legislative seats since 2008 and a flawed strategy that leads from the top down and uses shame to influence policy. They want "identity politics" out the door as a campaign strategy and a greater focus on economic justice rather than social justice. The logic being you cannot have the latter without the former. I haven't seen any calls for a centrally planned economy, they want a market economy that works for them, not billionaires.

Gun control is out the door. The people don't want it. Gun crime is a symptom of a larger disease and that disease is poverty. There has been talk of reorienting the Federal Reserve to shift from "Unemployment" to "Poverty" as the basis for monetary policy. How that would work, I don't know.

They want money out of politics. They believe the money that finances campaigns gets between congress and the people that elected them. How they plan to do this, I don't know. But I assume getting rid of the citizens united ruling would be a big step in that direction.

As you can imagine, this irks the **** out of the establishment and they are already trying to stop Keith Ellison (Bernie's guy) from taking over the DNC. As they continue to caterwaul over the loss in Novermber, their ire is getting thrown on the "bernie bros" for costing Hillary the electoral college. As far as they are concerned, She won the popular vote and that in and of itself serves as proof that she was not a "flawed" candidate. I wanted to reach through my satellite radio and slap Mark Thompson in the head over that one last night.

So the DNC is in a battle, but its a battle between the rank and file and the very small remaining contingent of politicos still in Washington. The RNC fight is slam full of guys holding elected office. Are they going to get in line behind Trump and his populists or stay off his coattails expecting him to fail?

Bumping for relevance.

This movement took a huge hit yesterday.
Mountaineer Buc

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion