Ideology

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Ideology

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:so the question is what form of government should we use if the unemployment rate is 50%....am I reading that correctly?

yeah, basically

The hurdle is separating economic competition from economic necessity. We all need meaningful work or life becomes pretty dire, but not all work that must be done is work that yields a short term economic benefit.

Homemaker is probably one of the most critical functions in a society, but its only product is a well raised child. Every so often journalists like to calculate what a housewife would make performing similar tasks in the economy. This is done to give housewives a little shot in the arm and feel appreciated for once, but it also quantifies how important having parents around is important to any society. I don't want to derail by going any further than that, but this is one example of how not every job that needs done is a job that is profitable to do, and every home needs to bring home the bacon.

Look to wealth. Our society covets wealth a great deal and ask any American what they will do if they win the lottery, the answer tends to be pretty standard. Quit the job, pay off debt, get nicer ****, travel a bit, make sure the family is set, and see where we go from there.

Based on this, I disagree with Zarni that humans are hard wired to compete with each other. Competition is indeed a part of our collective psyche, but again, the first thing most people will do with near limitless resources is remove themselves from competition and the struggle that goes with it. What humans really crave is autonomy. The freedom to do as they wish within their own set of boundaries, not boundaries set for them by government or economics.

Well, we can't make everyone a billionaire and we can't all go fishing, so I think the next logical step is to make participation in the market completely voluntary. We already grant exemption for children, the physically and mentally disabled, and the elderly. Automation making 50% of the workforce unnecessary should be seen as a blessing moreso than a curse. The professions that remain will be the most important to society. Educators, Scientists, and the like. The very best people for those professions will voluntarily go out and do the work that must be done, and the rest of us will go out and find the work that we find meaningful and make economic consideration a much lesser driver of who does what.

It'll take decades to get there.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
yeah, basically

The hurdle is separating economic competition from economic necessity. We all need meaningful work or life becomes pretty dire, but not all work that must be done is work that yields a short term economic benefit.

Homemaker is probably one of the most critical functions in a society, but its only product is a well raised child. Every so often journalists like to calculate what a housewife would make performing similar tasks in the economy. This is done to give housewives a little shot in the arm and feel appreciated for once, but it also quantifies how important having parents around is important to any society. I don't want to derail by going any further than that, but this is one example of how not every job that needs done is a job that is profitable to do, and every home needs to bring home the bacon.

Look to wealth. Our society covets wealth a great deal and ask any American what they will do if they win the lottery, the answer tends to be pretty standard. Quit the job, pay off debt, get nicer ****, travel a bit, make sure the family is set, and see where we go from there.

Based on this, I disagree with Zarni that humans are hard wired to compete with each other. Competition is indeed a part of our collective psyche, but again, the first thing most people will do with near limitless resources is remove themselves from competition and the struggle that goes with it. What humans really crave is autonomy. The freedom to do as they wish within their own set of boundaries, not boundaries set for them by government or economics.

Well, we can't make everyone a billionaire and we can't all go fishing, so I think the next logical step is to make participation in the market completely voluntary. We already grant exemption for children, the physically and mentally disabled, and the elderly. Automation making 50% of the workforce unnecessary should be seen as a blessing moreso than a curse. The professions that remain will be the most important to society. Educators, Scientists, and the like. The very best people for those professions will voluntarily go out and do the work that must be done, and the rest of us will go out and find the work that we find meaningful and make economic consideration a much lesser driver of who does what.

So based off what people say they will do with lottery winnings you dismiss a natural propensity for competition?

Don't you see that as being ridiculous? How about look at lottery winners and the wealthy alike, what do they actually end up doing? Buying bigger and bigger **** until they lose money (a means of competition to have more/better than others) or turn that winning into more money(also competition). Unless an absolutely beta person acquires wealth and disappears, most people remain competitive to their detriment or advancement.

The rest is just made up reality. What would happen is that the individuals who own the technology would own the rest of the world, the rest would struggle and have to be forced to work certain jobs. No one would want to work without the incentive for advancement if the government were to promise a living standard.

I could pick at this more, but in the end it's just fantasy for fun.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:47 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The hurdle is separating economic competition from economic necessity. We all need meaningful work or life becomes pretty dire, but not all work that must be done is work that yields a short term economic benefit.

So based off what people say they will do with lottery winnings you dismiss a natural propensity for competition?

Don't you see that as being ridiculous? How about look at lottery winners and the wealthy alike, what do they actually end up doing? Buying bigger and bigger **** until they lose money (a means of competition to have more/better than others) or turn that winning into more money(also competition). Unless an absolutely beta person acquires wealth and disappears, most people remain competitive to their detriment or advancement.

The rest is just made up reality. What would happen is that the individuals who own the technology would own the rest of the world, the rest would struggle and have to be forced to work certain jobs. No one would want to work without the incentive for advancement if the government were to promise a living standard.

So what would you do with $100 billion, usc? If your answer is a variation of "whatever the hell I want" then you're just like the rest of us. You would indulge yourself until you got sufficiently bored and had an existential crisis. Then you would go out and find meaningful things to do. If they make you more money, more power to you. So long as its meaningful to you and not to the detriment of anyone else, why would anyone stop you?

Go build a better mousetrap. Master chainsaw art. IDGAF.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

So what would you do with $100 billion, usc? If your answer is a variation of "whatever the hell I want" then you're just like the rest of us. You would indulge yourself until you got sufficiently bored and had an existential crisis. Then you would go out and find meaningful things to do. If they make you more money, more power to you. So long as its meaningful to you and not to the detriment of anyone else, why would anyone stop you?

So now it's 100 billion? An unreasonable amount of money that not even the richest man in the world is able to access?

In your crazy example we have 1 or 2 people who we can show have close to that wealth and they are still out there working in varying aspects.

When people win the lottery or become millionaires they don't lose their competitiveness is my point. It's not a mousetrap, your jump was just absurd based of "what people say they will do when they win the lottery".

I understand it kills your whole dream scenario, but it's the reason that a society like that will never succeed.

edit: I'm a bad example. I'm a workaholic. I could have 100 trillion dollars and I'd be out working as hard as if I had nothing.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:56 pm

MB, in your society do the "very best" that become teachers, scientist, etc. get rewarded with higher income? By higher, meaning high enough to justify the years of education and honing their practice compared to the rest of society?
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:58 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:So what would you do with $100 billion, usc? If your answer is a variation of "whatever the hell I want" then you're just like the rest of us. You would indulge yourself until you got sufficiently bored and had an existential crisis. Then you would go out and find meaningful things to do. If they make you more money, more power to you. So long as its meaningful to you and not to the detriment of anyone else, why would anyone stop you?

So now it's 100 billion? An unreasonable amount of money that not even the richest man in the world is able to access?

In your crazy example we have 1 or 2 people who we can show have close to that wealth and they are still out there working in varying aspects.

When people win the lottery or become millionaires they don't lose their competitiveness is my point. It's not a mousetrap, your jump was just absurd based of "what people say they will do when they win the lottery".

I understand it kills your whole dream scenario, but it's the reason that a society like that will never succeed.

It's not about a dollar amount, man. I'm talking about autonomy.

But since you want to bring it up, what are Bill Gates and Warren Buffett up to these days? What did Andrew Carnegie do with his latter years after he sold US Steel?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:59 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:MB, in your society do the "very best" that become teachers, scientist, etc. get rewarded with higher income? By higher, meaning high enough to justify the years of education and honing their practice compared to the rest of society?

You're still talking about money.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

It's not about a dollar amount, man. I'm talking about autonomy.

But since you want to bring it up, what are Bill Gates and Warren Buffett up to these days? What did Andrew Carnegie do with his latter years after he sold US Steel?

Bill Gates is out trying to set records as a philanthropist and help people (kind of a joke). He's still making money, still working at Microsoft and various other companies.

Warren Buffett is 87 and goes into the office everyday.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:MB, in your society do the "very best" that become teachers, scientist, etc. get rewarded with higher income? By higher, meaning high enough to justify the years of education and honing their practice compared to the rest of society?

You're still talking about money.

Fine, change money to "commodities" . What are people receiving in your society to incentivize work?
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:06 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:It's not about a dollar amount, man. I'm talking about autonomy.

Bill Gates is out trying to set records as a philanthropist and help people (kind of a joke). He's still making money, still working at Microsoft and various other companies.

Warren Buffett is 87 and goes into the office everyday.

And both do these things despite not having to.

And my whole thing when beard asked the question about 50% unemployment in the future was rather than have half the population living under a bridge, we enable them to do whatever they find meaningful.

At no time did I make any mention of government, UBI, helicopter money or any other way to make it happen.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:06 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You're still talking about money.

Fine, change money to "commodities" . What are people receiving in your society to incentivize work?

Why does work need to be incentivized?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Fine, change money to "commodities" . What are people receiving in your society to incentivize work?

Why does work need to be incentivized?

Is this a serious question?
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Why does work need to be incentivized?

Serious in the context of abundance. Remember that we're discussing what could or should happen if the need for about 50% of the labor force is replaced.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Serious in the context of abundance. Remember that we're discussing what could or should happen if the need for about 50% of the labor force is replaced.

Why would anyone work if there is no incentive?

People will always want more, bigger. If there's no way to get this by working, people will take it. Then you have every Dystopian movie/book ever.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:32 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Serious in the context of abundance. Remember that we're discussing what could or should happen if the need for about 50% of the labor force is replaced.

People will always want more, bigger. If there's no way to get this by working, people will take it. Then you have every Dystopian movie/book ever.

Because there's always something to do. something to read, something to build, some activity to enjoy. People spend entire weekends doing things they enjoy that have zero economic impact.

As for your second sentence, lets put a Star Trek replicator in the hands of a 14 year old girl (arguably the greediest creature of all humans)

The replicator makes her a 4 course meal, and it makes her a phone, and it makes enough outfits to stagger Emelda Marcos and fill her entire room with stuff. Then what? She gets bored with it because all that stuff will have ZERO value. And because of that, she will not value all that stuff. Nor will she walk around coveting all sorts of **** she hasn't replicated yet because she can do it at any time.

Greed will only make sense for things that are NOT in abundance and as such have value.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Greed will only make sense for things that are NOT in abundance and as such have value.

What you call "greed" has NEVER gone away even for the wealthiest people and institutions on the planet. People always want more.

And God bless them for it.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Because there's always something to do. something to read, something to build, some activity to enjoy. People spend entire weekends doing things they enjoy that have zero economic impact.

As for your second sentence, lets put a Star Trek replicator in the hands of a 14 year old girl (arguably the greediest creature of all humans)

The replicator makes her a 4 course meal, and it makes her a phone, and it makes enough outfits to stagger Emelda Marcos and fill her entire room with stuff. Then what? She gets bored with it because all that stuff will have ZERO value. And because of that, she will not value all that stuff. Nor will she walk around coveting all sorts of **** she hasn't replicated yet because she can do it at any time.

Oh sweet naive MB.

If there's always something to do and no incentive to work, people won't work...Why would they work? Under the threat of prosecution from the government/police?

and Zarni is right, people will always want...maybe not in a Star Trek episode, but in real life they will.

I just don't know how this scenario makes sense in your head unless people are being replaced until robot people (Spoiler for WW)
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:37 pm

me watching this conversation

beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:39 pm

If I won $100B or had a replicator that could make anything, I sure as hell wouldn't work.

But you can bet your butt I'd be finding some outlet for my competitive drive. And I'd find plenty of things to do that were meaningful but it wouldn't be going into the office very often...I promise you that.
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:If I won $100B or had a replicator that could make anything, I sure as hell wouldn't work.

But you can bet your butt I'd be finding some outlet for my competitive drive. And I'd find plenty of things to do that were meaningful but it wouldn't be going into the office very often...I promise you that.

Ok, what if we have jobs that don't pay, but you need to train, go to school, can be help accountable if something happens. You'd do that right?

Of course you would, because Star Trek...
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:If I won $100B or had a replicator that could make anything, I sure as hell wouldn't work.

Of course.

I'd be gardening with the Mrs., trying to make my yard look as awesome as humanly possible, and looking for things to do that feed my soul rather than my bank account.

After all, don't we try to fill the bank account as much as possible to fund the ability to do all those things in the first place?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

Ok, what we have jobs that don't pay, but you need to train, go to school, can be help accountable if something happens. You'd do that right?

Of course you would, because Star Trek...

I barely work now for money -- LOL
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm not sure of the disconnect.

I'll ditch the smart responses and try to listen, MB.

How does your society work? An abundance of resources, like TVs, cars, houses, land, food, sex, video games, drugs? How are we eliminated man's desire for more? How are we quelling the thirst for betting themselves, to compete with others, to improve? How are we rewarding anyone to do anything without providing something in return? How is having nothing the same as having the ability to buy everything? How does someone having everything equate to people not being inherently competitive or desire more if not for themselves, for others?

A lot of questions to get on this crazy train...
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:35 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I'm not sure of the disconnect.

I'll ditch the smart responses and try to listen, MB.

How does your society work? An abundance of resources, like TVs, cars, houses, land, food, sex, video games, drugs? How are we eliminated man's desire for more? How are we quelling the thirst for betting themselves, to compete with others, to improve? How are we rewarding anyone to do anything without providing something in return? How is having nothing the same as having the ability to buy everything? How does someone having everything equate to people not being inherently competitive or desire more if not for themselves, for others?

A lot of questions to get on this crazy train...

Okay, let's back this up from the 24th century and back into right now.

What we know is that with the rate of acceleration of technology, repetitive motion and low cognition jobs....and even some high cognition jobs like law and medicine and finance are susceptible to being replaced with automation or AI. The people that do these things will have their skillsets rendered obsolete. What do we do about it?

We can brace for the coming dystopia, bury our heads in the sand and assume it'll fix itself, or we can begin to reinvent life as we know it. Obviously, I'm in favor of option 3.

I did not write the following, but this guy says it better than I can. This is in the context of a reddit debate between r/futurology and r/collapse. I left out the part where he starts talking about interplanetary ****. Yes, it's pie in the sky, but we're talking about the future here and there is reason for optimism.

The TL;DR is that all evidence points to a technological revolution that will make want for basic needs obsolete and improve the lives of all mankind. More comments after the quoted text.
Hollywood loves dystopias and in the news we’re fed “If it bleeds, it leads”. Drama is what gets attention, but it’s a false view of the real world. The reality is our world has been getting gradually better on most counts and is soon to enter a period of unprecedented material abundance.

Swedish charity The Gapminder Foundation measures this. They collect and collate global data and statistics that chart these broad global improvements. They also carry out regular “Ignorance Surveys” where they poll people on these issues. Time and time again, they find most people have overwhelmingly false and pessimistic views and are surprised when they are shown the reality presented by data. Global poverty is falling rapidly, life expectancy is rising equally rapidly and especially contrary to what many people think, we are living in a vastly safer, more peaceful and less violent time than any other period in human history.

In his book, Abundance, Peter Diamandis makes an almost incontrovertible case for techno-optimism. “Over the last hundred years,” he reminds us “the average human lifespan has more than doubled, average per capita income adjusted for inflation around the world has tripled. Childhood mortality has come down a factor of 10. Add to that the cost of food, electricity, transportation, communication have dropped 10 to 1,000-fold.

Of course we have serious problems. Most people accept Climate Change and environmental degradation are two huge challenges facing humanity. The best news for energy and the environment is that solar power is tending towards near zero cost. Solar energy is only six doublings — or less than 14 years — away from meeting 100 percent of today’s energy needs, using only one part in 10,000 of the sunlight that falls on the Earth. We need to adapt our energy infrastructure to its intermittency with solutions like the one The Netherlands is currently testing, an inexpensive kinetic system using underground MagLev trains that can store 10% of the country’s energy needs at any one time. The Fossil Fuel Age that gave us Climate Change will soon be over, all we have to do is adapt to the abundance of cheap, clean green energy soon ahead of us.

Economics and Politics are two areas where many people feel very despondent when they look to the future, yet when we look at facts, the future of Economics and Politics will be very different from the past or present. We are on the cusp of a revolution in human affairs on the scale of the discovery of Agriculture or the Industrial Revolution. Not only is energy about to become clean, cheap and abundant - AI and Robotics will soon be able to do all work needed to provide us with goods and services.

Most people feel fear when they think about this and wonder about a world with steadily and ever growing unemployment. How can humans compete economically with workers who toil 24/7/365, never need social security or health contributions & are always doubling in power and halving in cost? We are used to a global financial system, that uses debt and inflation to grow. How can all of today’s wealth denominated in stock markets, pensions funds and property prices survive a world in a world where deflation and falling incomes are the norm? How can our financial system stay solvent and functional in this world?

Everything that becomes digitized tends towards a zero marginal cost of reproduction. If you have made one mp3, then copying it a million times is trivially costless. The infant AI Medical Expert systems today, that are beginning to diagnose cancer better than human doctors, will be the same. Future fully capable AI Doctors will be trivially costless to reproduce for anyone who needs them. That goes the same for any other AI Expert systems in Education or any field of knowledge. Further along, matter itself will begin to act under the same Economic laws of abundance, robots powered by cheap renewables will build further copies of themselves and ever more cheaply do everything we need.

There are undoubtedly challenging times ahead adapting to this and in the birth of this new age, much of the old will be lost. But if you’ve been living in relative poverty and won the lottery, is mourning for the death of your old poor lifestyle the right reaction? Paleolithic hunter gatherers could not imagine the world of Agriculture or the Medieval world that of Industrialization, so it’s hard for us now to see how all this will work out.

The one thing we can be sure about is that it is coming, and very soon. Our biggest problem is we don't know how lucky we are with what is just ahead & we haven't even begun to plan for a world with this good fortune and abundance - as understandably we feel fear in the face of such radical change. The only "collapse" will be in old ideas and institutions, as new better ones evolve to take their place in our new reality.

This most profound of revolutions will start by enabling the age old dream of easily providing for everyone's material wants and needs and as revolutionary as that seems now, it will probably just be the start. If it is our destiny for us to create intelligence greater than ourselves, it may well be our destiny to merge with it.

This debate asks me to argue that the trajectory of history is not only upwards, but is heading for a planetary civilization.

Now, I'm not exactly fond of the one world government conclusion, but I think the greater point here is that perhaps within a generation, humanity will have the ability to cheaply provide for the basic necessities of mankind. If we elect to do so, that will reshape the existential questions you're asking as it pertains to "what will we do with ourselves" and the need for people to grow and succeed.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:42 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:In a perfect world, communism could be the perfect economic model

Nah, I like individual liberty and personal property rights. My "perfect world" doesn't permit the state to have that much power.

People that think communism can be achieved as an ideal solution/system are naive to human nature in addition to missing the key principal (individual self-determination) in which western society was built imo. I'd call it un-American, but it's much more than that.

Never said communism could/would create a perfect world.... It can never work in the real world as it relies on people to be intrinsically motivated rather than rely on extrinsic motivation and history has shown that if there is no gain to be made from working harder, people won't do it.

That is the only reason for the success of capitalism over communism, innovation leading to increased profits and productivity here while the Soviet Union couldn't even produce enough toilet paper to satisfy demand....

Edit: Y'all have moved on from this but it does kind of apply to the motivation factor you have moved on to so I don't feel so bad...

If people are not motivated intrinsically to go and do, what do they do when there is no extrinsic motivation in the form of money or commodities?? Yard work?????

The vast majority of us aren't Bill Gates types who can go out and do great things when we no longer have to work or can't work because our jobs have been taken by automation so what then?
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:47 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:As for your second sentence, lets put a Star Trek replicator in the hands of a 14 year old girl (arguably the greediest creature of all humans)

This made me snort laughter. Well done. Very well done.
Last edited by Buc2 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:51 am

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:As for your second sentence, lets put a Star Trek replicator in the hands of a 14 year old girl (arguably the greediest creature of all humans)

This made me snort laughter. Well done. Very well done.

Was trying to keep it lighthearted.

I ordered this book on amazon yesterday due to the conversation in here.

apparently it's a college textbook somewhere (sociology?) so there were oodles of copies lying around. Got mine for $6 I guess it came out in 2012 and updated in 2014 so it might be a little dated.

Of course, given enough time any book about the future tends to not hold up real well.
Mountaineer Buc

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion