Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby HamBone » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Seems Corey Booker admitted to groping a high school student in 1992

In 1992, Cory Booker wrote of ‘groping’ a high school friend as they ‘fumbled upon a bed’ and issued a call for sexual respect

When he was in high school, Cory Booker, the New Jersey Democrat and possible White House contender, groped his classmate as they kissed. He reached for her breast, and when she swatted his hand away, he made another attempt.

The incident resurfaced this week as Booker joined calls for an FBI investigation into the allegation of high-school-era sexual assault leveled by Christine Blasey Ford against Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court.

But the skeleton in Booker’s closet seized on by outlets such as Fox News and the Daily Caller wasn’t really in his closet. The senator himself chose years ago to air the issue, marking a notable contrast with instances in which accusations of impropriety burst forth as a result of media investigation or opposition research.

In 1992, Booker, then a student at Stanford University, wrote a column for his college newspaper in which he recounted the groping and used his own behavior to underscore, in starkly personal terms, how his views had shifted on gender and sexual respect. He credited his work as a peer counselor with the transformation.

“After having my hand pushed away once, I reached my ‘mark,'” he wrote. “Our groping ended soon and while no ‘relationship’ ensued, a friendship did. You see, the next week in school she told me that she was drunk that night and didn’t really know what she was doing.”

“Senator Booker’s Stanford Daily column has been the focus of disingenuous right-wing attacks that have circulated online and in partisan outlets for the past five years,” a spokeswoman for Booker said in an email. “These attacks ring hollow to anyone who reads the entirety of the column, which is in fact a direct criticism of a culture that encourages young men to take advantage of women — written at a time when so candidly discussing these issues was rare — and speaks to the impact Senator Booker’s experience working to help rape and sexual assault survivors as a college peer counselor had on him.”

Kavanaugh has denied forcing himself on Ford at a high school party. But the ensuing debate has raised questions that go beyond his case, like the one posed by Bari Weiss of the New York Times when she asked Tuesday on MSNBC, “Should the fact that a 17-year-old, presumably very drunk kid, did this, should this be disqualifying?”

Whether it makes a difference if the “very drunk kid” owned up to the behavior is the question raised by Booker’s case, which is under a spotlight intensified by the senator’s own jockeying as he weighs a run for the presidency. He told New York Magazine in an interview published this week that it would be “irresponsible” not to consider running for president.

Booker, who studied political science and sociology and played tight end for the college football team, wrote a regular column for the Stanford Daily. He often broached difficult subjects, from racial profiling to anti-gay prejudice, with the rhetorical flourish that would come to characterize his political speeches.

Shortly after the verdict in the Rodney King case — in which Los Angeles police officers were acquitted in the beating of the taxi driver, spurring the 1992 Los Angeles riots — the student recounted instances of being profiled by police. “I’m a black man. I am 6 feet 3 inches tall and 230 pounds, just like King,” Booker wrote. “Do I scare you? Am I a threat? Does your fear justify your actions?”

In another piece, also penned in 1992, he wrote about efforts to overcome his own bigotry. “I hated gays,” he admitted. “The disgust and latent hostility I felt toward gays were subcategories of hatred, plain and simple.”

But there was one topic that gave him particular pause. The piece, published Feb. 19, 1992, was titled, “So much for stealing second.”

“When I hesitated in writing this column, I realized I was basking in hypocrisy,” he wrote. “So instead I chose to write and risk.”

He began with a personal story.

It was New Year’s Eve 1984. Booker was 15. As the ball dropped in Times Square, he leaned over to give a friend a hug, he wrote, but she returned the gesture with “an overwhelming kiss.”

“With the ‘Top Gun’ slogan ringing in my head, I slowly reached for her breast,” continued Booker, who grew up in Harrington Park, N.J., outside of Newark, where he was elected mayor in 2006. It’s unclear which movie slogan he meant. As a columnist in the Star-Ledger observed this week, the Tom Cruise action film didn’t come out until 1986.

“After having my hand pushed away once, I reached my ‘mark.’ ”

He said he didn’t enter a romantic relationship with his New Year’s Eve companion, though they began a friendship.

In the college newspaper, he described the episode as emblematic of his adolescent understanding of intimacy. “Ever since puberty, I remember receiving messages that sex was a game, a competition,” he wrote. “Sexual relations were best achieved through luck, guile, strategy or coercion.”

Drinking, he added, accelerated unsafe encounters. He recalled the counsel of a friend: “With liquor you’ll get to bed quicker.”

When he first arrived at college, it was more of the same, Booker said. He enumerated statements fired off at the Palo Alto, Calif., campus, from the casually sexist to the alarmingly violent.

“What do you think happened? She invited me back to her room at 3 a.m.”

“I’ve got to find a way to snatch that snatch.”

“The best thing for that girl would be to be tied down and screwed.”

By his sophomore year, Booker wrote, he had grown so distressed by these sorts of comments that he had “snapped from one extreme to the other.” A female friend of his called him a “man-hater.” He admitted to running his mouth, referring wryly to his “soliloquy” on “The Oppressive Nature of Male Dominated Society And Its Violent Manifestations: Rape, Anorexia, Battered Wives.” His aim was not just to convince her that he was “sensitive” but “to convince myself that my attitudes had changed.”

His shifting views had most to do with his work as a peer counselor, he wrote, a role in which he listened to the “raw truth” of experiences of rape. What makes sexual violence possible, he reasoned, are the attitudes and dialogues that precede it — his own friends trying to “get some” or to “score.”

He confessed to having no good conclusion for his column. “All I have are poignant visions,” he offered.

“I see myself at 15 trotting around the bases and stealing second,” Booker wrote.

He ended with a bit of imagery that could just as well conclude a stump speech: “I now see the crowds, no, not the spectators, but the thousands, the millions who are rarely seen or heard.”

“I’ve seen enough.”

The 1992 column was unearthed by the Daily Caller in 2013, when Booker was first running for Senate. The then-mayor didn’t comment on the episode, nor has he had much to say about it since. His conduct and his mea culpa were public knowledge when voters elected him in the 2013 special election and chose him again in 2014.

The piece has mostly circulated in conservative outlets, such as Townhall and the Washington Times. On Thursday, it reached the Star-Ledger, the largest newspaper in New Jersey. Paul Mulshine, a conservative columnist, said the accusation by conservatives that the New Jersey senator was guilty of sexual assault was “nonsense, of course. The sort of behavior Booker recounted was common in the 1980s and early 1990s.”

Still, the columnist argued, the 1992 account “puts the senator in an awkward position regarding the allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh by psychologist Christine Blasey Ford.” He mocked a moment from the questioning of Kavanaugh before the Senate Judiciary Committee when Booker threatened to release secret emails, even if it meant being banished from the Senate, and said, “This is about the closest I’ll ever come in my life to an ‘I am Spartacus’ moment.”

“Looks like ‘Spartacus’ had roamin’ hands,” the column was headlined.

The columnist suggested that both recollections — Ford’s and Booker’s — might be faulty, with the senator’s story representing a useful case for the point he was trying to make. In addition to the reference to a movie that had not yet come out, the columnist noted of Booker’s recollection of the ball dropping, “I find it hard to imagine a bunch of high-schoolers going to a New Year’s Eve party at which beds were placed near the TV.”

Booker, for his part, has called Ford’s allegations “serious and credible” and accused the Republican majority of failing to investigate her account thoroughly. “In a nation with crisis levels of sexual violence & harassment,” he wrote Wednesday on Twitter, “how those who come forward are treated demonstrates the level of our commitment to addressing this heinous societal wrong.”

More from Morning Mix:

Florida police, worried about crime stats, framed three black men for burglaries. One was deported because of it, suit says.

Suge Knight helped create gangster rap. Now he’s facing up to 28 years for a 2015 fatal hit-and-run.

‘He’s a homeless black guy’: Hatred of interracial relationships inspired fatal Times Square stabbing, suspect told police
HamBone

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Buc2 wrote:
HamBone wrote:The Ellison abuse case isn't getting a ton of play...weird.

He's in the wrong political party for his story to receive a lot of play.

Or...

He's in the wrong political party for CNN to cover it too much. Fox News posts about it plenty.

Kind of like how Fox News doesn't want to talk about any allegations about Trump of Kavanaugh without downplaying it.

The channels each act according to their party. You get that, right?
mightyleemoon

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Tim Murphy didn't get a lot of play either.

Fun fact. 9 members of Congress pushed out of office this year. 4 Democrats and 5 republicans.
https://www.businessinsider.com/congress-sex-scandals-forced-out-of-office-2018-5

Plus. Ellison is leaving Congress to try and become the AG of Michigan. He's yesterday's news. And if he did beat up this woman, he needs prosecuted by the state that it happened in. I have no compunction about hanging his ass out to dry.

Do you believe he did it or not?

Ellison? Probably did if she's producing medical records.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:
Do you believe he did it or not?

Ellison? Probably did if she's producing medical records.

You keep saying "if" and "probably" here...with Kav you are adamant he did it. Why is that?
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:54 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Ellison? Probably did if she's producing medical records.

You keep saying "if" and "probably" here...with Kav you are adamant he did it. Why is that?

Is that what this is about? A little whataboutism to take the heat off Kavanaugh?

I said I believe them both. Especially when they produce medical records.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Is that what this is about? A little whataboutism to take the heat off Kavanaugh?

I said I believe them both. Especially when they produce medical records.

You have now stated you believe them both...I’m not sure how you believe something I post here is gonna take heat off Kav or why I would even want to.
HamBone

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I got a chance to listen to part of the Cruz / Beto debate here in Texas

Both candidates did exactly what you expect but I will give the local newstation lots of credit in running / moderating it. The questions were spot on and fair (for the most part) and they kept the candidates to their allotted time...the whole time I was wishing our presidential debates were run as well
Zarniwoop

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:32 am

Texas must be getting much more Liberal as this Democrat sounds just like Cynthia Nixon when talking about immigration and policing.

There ain’t much space between this dude and Kaepernick; I’m shocked the race is so close despite how unappealing a candidate Cruz is. That ‘New Jim Crow’ comment should have iced this idiot.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:42 pm

So...one of you guys better go and check on Alex Jones.

He just gave an interview where he said that he "is close to God and ready to die".

Could be some more theatrics, could be something more serious. Just sayin. That's crazy talk even for him. Get that dude some help.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:10 am

For the first time in our nation's history, voters in 24 counties in W. Virginia will be able to vote using their mobile phones. While some are hailing the decision because it will make voting easier for members of the military deployed overseas, experts are warning of possible security breaches.

What could possibly go wrong?! SMDH
HamBone

Postby NYBF » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:23 am

They have mobile phones in West Virginia?
NYBF

Postby mightyleemoon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 am

Phones can actually be extremely secure and can easily be used to confirm who you are. I used mine to log into BofA systems that contain very sensitive information while doing contract work for them. But, the trick is, it requires a competent security system. And, who here can trust our government to any semblance of competency?
mightyleemoon

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:57 am

NYBF wrote:They have mobile phones in West Virginia?

I took it with me when I left.

They must have gotten a new one.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mightyleemoon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
NYBF wrote:They have mobile phones in West Virginia?

I took it with me when I left.

They must have gotten a new one.

It's down at the Tamarack. There's a line around the building waiting to use it.
mightyleemoon

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:07 pm

DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:14 pm

64% of Republicans in July thought this election was important. 84% polled today now think it's important. I think Ken mentioned that this Kavanaugh case would fire up the Republican base.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:17 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:64% of Republicans in July thought this election was important. 84% polled today now think it's important. I think Ken mentioned that this Kavanaugh case would fire up the Republican base.

I think he did mention that. Didn't he also say something like this may be happening a bit too early for the GOP to truly capitalize on it at the polls?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Buc2 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:64% of Republicans in July thought this election was important. 84% polled today now think it's important. I think Ken mentioned that this Kavanaugh case would fire up the Republican base.

I think he did mention that. Didn't he also say something like this may be happening a bit too early for the GOP to truly capitalize on it at the polls?

Makes sense
uscbucsfan

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:46 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I think he did mention that. Didn't he also say something like this may be happening a bit too early for the GOP to truly capitalize on it at the polls?

Makes sense

Wow, these meta-conversations about what Ken might have said...

The polling data in two key states, WV and ND, have a majority of people who want Kavanugh confirmed, and centrist Ds who are in races that is very close. Currently, looks like Manchin is 5 points clear, but a no vote on Kavanaugh risks energizing his opponent. Still, polling at 538 looks like he could survive either outcome. In ND, Heitkamp is already down and even more voters support Kavanaugh there. She's probably going to lose anyway, but if she wants a chance to keep her seat, she will probably have to vote to confirm him. Even still, I think she loses.

The most interesting thing now is Indiana. Before the Kavanaugh hearings, Donelley had a 3-point edge. This is well below his expected lead, which 538 has at 10-point based on factors like fundraising, level of experience of opponent, etc. He came out against Kavanaugh post hearing, which his challenger has played up in a red state that Trump carried by 20 points. There are no polls yet about how Indianans feel about the Kavanaugh confirmation, but like other deep Trump states, it's pretty likely to break in favor of the Republican. Originally, this was thought to be a safe seat, and now it may hinge on Kavanaugh. Dems cannot be happy about that. Florida is another state where this could matter, too, and Tennessee.
Ken Carson

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Makes sense

Wow, these meta-conversations about what Ken might have said...

The polling data in two key states, WV and ND, have a majority of people who want Kavanugh confirmed, and centrist Ds who are in races that is very close. Currently, looks like Manchin is 5 points clear, but a no vote on Kavanaugh risks energizing his opponent. Still, polling at 538 looks like he could survive either outcome. In ND, Heitkamp is already down and even more voters support Kavanaugh there. She's probably going to lose anyway, but if she wants a chance to keep her seat, she will probably have to vote to confirm him. Even still, I think she loses.

The most interesting thing now is Indiana. Before the Kavanaugh hearings, Donelley had a 3-point edge. This is well below his expected lead, which 538 has at 10-point based on factors like fundraising, level of experience of opponent, etc. He came out against Kavanaugh post hearing, which his challenger has played up in a red state that Trump carried by 20 points. There are no polls yet about how Indianans feel about the Kavanaugh confirmation, but like other deep Trump states, it's pretty likely to break in favor of the Republican. Originally, this was thought to be a safe seat, and now it may hinge on Kavanaugh. Dems cannot be happy about that. Florida is another state where this could matter, too, and Tennessee.

I don't know if you said it or not. I just know someone mentioned that this may be happening too soon to help 'Pubs in the polls. If it wasn't you, my apologies. I guess I could have gone back to look, but that seemed like it would be too time consuming to be worth it. :)
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Random tidbit

I’ll say this about Chelsea Clinton .... she has consistently had the singular message of leaving the families, particularly the kids, of political folks out of it. I applaud her for that. She did it for Obama’s kids, then Trump’s, now Kavanaugh’s

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chelsea ... 20911.html
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Random tidbit

I’ll say this about Chelsea Clinton .... she has consistently had the singular message of leaving the families, particularly the kids, of political folks out of it. I applaud her for that. She did it for Obama’s kids, then Trump’s, now Kavanaugh’s

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chelsea ... 20911.html

It's kind of sad that she's getting ratio'd on twitter for saying this. Basically EVERY call for even the most basic civility gets flamed these days.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:58 am

An Indianapolis woman who was seven months pregnant when a police dog attacked her in July 2015, did not have her constitutional rights violated because she wasn’t the dog’s intended target, a federal judge ruled last week.

U.S. District Court Judge Tanya Walton Pratt ruled that Mara Mancini was an “unintended bystander” when a police dog, pursuing a male suspect in her neighborhood mauled her, tearing chunks of flesh from her arm and thigh, The Indianapolis Star reported.

In 2016, Mancini sued the city of Indianapolis and its police department, alleging the attack violated her constitutional right to be secure against search and seizure, and challenged Indiana law and legal precedent which grants immunity to police dogs under Indiana's dog bite liability statute.

But Pratt ruled Sept. 28 that the officers’ release of the dog “intending to seize the fleeing suspect does not mean that the officers intended to seize any other person.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-dog-a ... udge-rules
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 am

I dunno if I would have made an illegal search argument. The cops definitely owe her some money, but the basis for the case seems odd.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I dunno if I would have made an illegal search argument. The cops definitely owe her some money, but the basis for the case seems odd.

I was gonna say something similar. If an attorney recommended this course of action to her, I'd say that attorney failed her miserably.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 am

I saw Michael Bloomberg officially re-registered as a Democrat which led to speculation he's positioning himself for a 2020 Presidential run.

For those not familiar Bloomberg was a Republican when he was the Mayor of NYC.

My question is would Bloomberg have a chance in the Democratic primary?
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 am

DreadNaught wrote:I saw Michael Bloomberg officially re-registered as a Democrat which led to speculation he's positioning himself for a 2020 Presidential run.

For those not familiar Bloomberg was a Republican when he was the Mayor of NYC.

My question is would Bloomberg have a chance in the Democratic primary?

I think it would come down to who runs against him, but I don't think he would stand much of a chance to be honest.

I think Bloomberg's chance was back when the party were Bill Clinton type Democrats...he and Clinton are quite similar.

Honestly, I don't think an equivalent right version of Bloomberg would have much of a chance in an R primary right now either. BLoomberg is far too centrist for the current atmosphere.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 am

Dem game plan...continued civil unrest.

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that civility in America can only begin again if Democrats win back the House or Senate this fall.

"You cannot be civil with a political party that wants to destroy what you stand for, what you care about," Clinton said in an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour. "That's why I believe, if we are fortunate enough to win back the House and or the Senate, that's when civility can start again. But until then, the only thing that the Republicans seem to recognize and respect is strength."
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:02 am

Buc2 wrote:Dem game plan...continued civil unrest.

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that civility in America can only begin again if Democrats win back the House or Senate this fall.

"You cannot be civil with a political party that wants to destroy what you stand for, what you care about," Clinton said in an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour. "That's why I believe, if we are fortunate enough to win back the House and or the Senate, that's when civility can start again. But until then, the only thing that the Republicans seem to recognize and respect is strength."

A couple quick hits in response

1.) I think both parties feel that the other wants to "destroy what you stand for".....and sadly neither can recognize this simple fact

2.) Zero chance of civility regardless of who has control of the House or Senate...civility doesn't come from power....it comes from within. Very few in DC have anything that resembles a brain or heart.
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 am

Buc2 wrote:Dem game plan...continued civil unrest.

Hillary is 100% pure projection all the time.

This push for incivility is b/c it's the only strategy they have until they can re-take political power. But these acts aren't respected by any reasonable person regardless of political leanings and certainly not Republicans. I don't see any Republican witnessing these acts of incivility and going 'gee, I respect that. I think I'm going to be a Democrat now'. I also find the comparison of incivility and strength to be odd.
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion