Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:It was all partisan prior to Ford making her accusation. The democrats can't vote harder because of this. They had their minds made up already.

So, again. Are the republicans going to disregard all this and find the most politically palatable way to confirm Kavanaugh? Are they going to have an actual investigation that you and I both think won't yield much? Are they going to punt it back to the white house and tell Trump to go get a better nominee?

Kavanaugh says he won't withdraw, Democrats aren't changing their minds, Trump is doubling down. What happens next is all on the republicans in the Senate.

They are gonna do exactly what the Democrats would do if the tables were turned...

The Democrats in the Senate are gutless *******. They did absolutely nothing to even fight for Merrick Garland.

Surely, we can expect better from the GOP.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:
They are gonna do exactly what the Democrats would do if the tables were turned...

The Democrats in the Senate are gutless *******. They did absolutely nothing to even fight for Merrick Garland.

Why? They are politicians...their only goal in life is to retain power and get re-elected.
HamBone

Postby HamBone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:01 pm

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A woman who has accused President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault decades ago has not yet agreed to testify at a U.S. Senate hearing set for next Monday, raising questions about whether the high-stakes public showdown will take place.
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:It was all partisan prior to Ford making her accusation. The democrats can't vote harder because of this. They had their minds made up already.

So, again. Are the republicans going to disregard all this and find the most politically palatable way to confirm Kavanaugh? Are they going to have an actual investigation that you and I both think won't yield much? Are they going to punt it back to the white house and tell Trump to go get a better nominee?

Kavanaugh says he won't withdraw, Democrats aren't changing their minds, Trump is doubling down. What happens next is all on the republicans in the Senate.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! Winner!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Why isnt this convo going on in the SCOTUS thread where it belongs?

Anyways, I say all of this is a waste of time at this point... They barely even have circumstantial evidence of anything. So silly.

And since when are polygraphs reliable, much less admissable.

Again, just a desperate last ditch effort that will go nowhere.

My 2 centavos.

Good to see MB biting so hard on it though...

Carry on.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:03 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The Democrats in the Senate are gutless *******. They did absolutely nothing to even fight for Merrick Garland.

Why? They are politicians...their only goal in life is to retain power and get re-elected.

That was kind of the point I made earlier. Why should Chuck Grassley give a **** about Brett Kavanaugh? Ol' Chuck was in congress when this assault allegedly took place. Orrin Hatch was in the Senate when Kavanaugh was 11 years old.

If these two want to carry the water for this guy, that's up to them, but I don't see why they have to.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:04 pm

As for Kavanaugh, if he isn't confirmed, I honestly don't care.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby HamBone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:

That was kind of the point I made earlier. Why should Chuck Grassley give a **** about Brett Kavanaugh? Ol' Chuck was in congress when this assault allegedly took place. Orrin Hatch was in the Senate when Kavanaugh was 11 years old.

If these two want to carry the water for this guy, that's up to them, but I don't see why they have to.

So, you think this will be the reason they don’t get re-elected?
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:12 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:That was kind of the point I made earlier. Why should Chuck Grassley give a **** about Brett Kavanaugh? Ol' Chuck was in congress when this assault allegedly took place. Orrin Hatch was in the Senate when Kavanaugh was 11 years old.

No no no. Hatch is retiring. He can pretty much do whatever he wants until January. Grassley has been in Congress since...(Holy ****) 1959! I'd say the people of Iowa are pretty pleased with him.

These men have sufficient political power that they can tell Trump where to go if they want to and not suffer politically at all.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:

No no no. Hatch is retiring. He can pretty much do whatever he wants until January. Grassley has been in Congress since...(Holy ****) 1959! I'd say the people of Iowa are pretty pleased with him.

These men have sufficient political power that they can tell Trump where to go if they want to and not suffer politically at all.

Or they can proceed...and not suffer politically either.
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:17 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:No no no. Hatch is retiring. He can pretty much do whatever he wants until January. Grassley has been in Congress since...(Holy ****) 1959! I'd say the people of Iowa are pretty pleased with him.

Or they can proceed...and not suffer politically either.

If that's the plan, I dunno what they are waiting on.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm

they have to vet Kavanaugh as much as possible, that's their jobs. while it's unlikely that anything will come out in these extra hearings (if they have them), they have to do them IMO. It would be reckless not to.
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:This is a terrible take. Truth shouldn’t be a partisan issue and if you think it is, shame on you.

FWIW, Feinstein has had it for 2+ months. So, maybe they did ask the tough questions already. But if so, they didn’t ask Kavanaugh the tough questions when they had the chance, so I don’t know what you’re even arguing for, other than waving your poms poms and hoping this defeats Trump’s nominee because “partisan politics.”

You live under a rock or something?

You’re asking if I missed where you became a partisan hack? I did until now, I guess...
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You live under a rock or something?

You’re asking if I missed where you became a partisan hack? I did until now, I guess...

What would you like me to do, Ken? I didn't make Kavanaugh put his hands on a chick. He did that all on his own.

My partisan hack ass largely stayed out of this whole thing prior to today. I knew the Democrats were going to try and obstruct this thing and I'm under no inclination to defend Feinstein and Booker on a daily basis. We all knew Kavanaugh was going to get confirmed.

Then the accusation comes in that changes everything. Now its about how republicans are going to handle this. It's not like Democrats were second guessing their no vote prior to this little revelation.

If expecting Republicans to predictably slam the victim and try to bullshit their way out of this is being a partisan hack, guilty as charged. I have no expectation that they are contemplating doing anything other than getting Kavanaugh through this while they simultaneously lecture us all about the evils of politicizing the court.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Anyone read up on China's social credit system?

Scary stuff..

They're basically North Korea with more wealth, more people, and better technology.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:13 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Anyone read up on China's social credit system?

Scary stuff..

They're basically North Korea with more wealth, more people, and better technology.

I can see some people here liking the idea...given society’s general malaise towards 1A

It’s dreadful
Zarniwoop

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm

I can think of some people posting on this forum who would probably dig the idea.
Brazen331

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:You’re asking if I missed where you became a partisan hack? I did until now, I guess...

What would you like me to do, Ken? I didn't make Kavanaugh put his hands on a chick. He did that all on his own.

My partisan hack ass largely stayed out of this whole thing prior to today. I knew the Democrats were going to try and obstruct this thing and I'm under no inclination to defend Feinstein and Booker on a daily basis. We all knew Kavanaugh was going to get confirmed.

Then the accusation comes in that changes everything. Now its about how republicans are going to handle this. It's not like Democrats were second guessing their no vote prior to this little revelation.

If expecting Republicans to predictably slam the victim and try to bullshit their way out of this is being a partisan hack, guilty as charged. I have no expectation that they are contemplating doing anything other than getting Kavanaugh through this while they simultaneously lecture us all about the evils of politicizing the court.

One, it’s impossible to say what did and did not happen. You are against Kavanaugh, so to you it definitely happened.

Two, Feinstein could have confronted Kavanaugh with this and didn’t. Instead, she waited until the end of the process to try to stop it. Ask yourself why.

If the Pubs did this to a D nominee, would you say “just withdraw and let the election sort it out?
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:What would you like me to do, Ken? I didn't make Kavanaugh put his hands on a chick. He did that all on his own.

One, it’s impossible to say what did and did not happen. You are against Kavanaugh, so to you it definitely happened.

Two, Feinstein could have confronted Kavanaugh with this and didn’t. Instead, she waited until the end of the process to try to stop it. Ask yourself why.

If the Pubs did this to a D nominee, would you say “just withdraw and let the election sort it out?

Point one. I choose to believe his accusor. Say what you will about it, I just happen to side with victims as a default. I have that right.

Point two. Irrelevant. Feinstein sitting on the memo does not make the accusation invalid. Whatever her reasons for doing so are equally irrelevant. An accusation has been made by a credible victim.

Kavanaugh is not withdrawing. Trump is not withdrawing. So here we are.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 pm

“Alleged” victim. In think thats the glaring point you’re missing, MB.
RedLeader

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:One, it’s impossible to say what did and did not happen. You are against Kavanaugh, so to you it definitely happened.

Point one. I choose to believe his accusor. Say what you will about it, I just happen to side with victims as a default. I have that right.

Point two. Irrelevant. Feinstein sitting on the memo does not make the accusation invalid. Whatever her reasons for doing so are equally irrelevant. An accusation has been made by a credible victim.

Kavanaugh is not withdrawing. Trump is not withdrawing. So here we are.

Feinstein is even stating she might not be telling the truth and she started this. Looks like the woman is going to refuse to testify unless the FBI investigates something that cannot be investigated or charged.

So you can believe whatever you choose to believe, but obviously this is the Dems thinking they have a slight shot to take the Senate. Even they don't believe this BS. But you can still believe it because that is your right.

However, I have a hard time believing that if Garland were being accused of this you would still be holding on to this MeToo/Accuser is always right stance.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:23 pm

RedLeader wrote:“Alleged” victim. In think thats the glaring point you’re missing, MB.

No, I think I was clear about that when I said that I chose to believe her. I considered the possibility she may be lying and made that choice.

But while we're on the subject, have you considered the possibility that she is telling the truth?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
RedLeader wrote:“Alleged” victim. In think thats the glaring point you’re missing, MB.

No, I think I was clear about that when I said that I chose to believe her. I considered the possibility she may be lying and made that choice.

But while we're on the subject, have you considered the possibility that she is telling the truth?

There certainly is a possibility she is telling the truth...why do you find her story so credible?
HamBone

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Sorry, I'm not one to play judge and jury without knowing all of the facts. I mean, you're not even waiting for her to be questioned. lol

Now the question becomes... why did you 'choose' to believe her? Be honest. And please don't give me this crap about it being your 'right'. dafuq out of here with that.

Why did you "choose" to believe anyone with so little, if any, evidence?

Could it be you're biased? If so, than your "choice" is tainted, my friend, and speaks more to the motivation the Left has here...

Get Kav... Get Trump... and that's it.
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Well it appears now that this is going nowhere. The accuser has apparently claimed she won’t talk to the Senate unless the FBI investigates....which they won’t
Zarniwoop

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:57 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The Democrats in the Senate are gutless *******. They did absolutely nothing to even fight for Merrick Garland.

They are politicians...their only goal in life is to retain power and get re-elected.

The only post I have ever seen on this board that I bet 99.9% of posters agree on
Babeinbucland

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Well it appears now that this is going nowhere. The accuser has apparently claimed she won’t talk to the Senate unless the FBI investigates....which they won’t

Nooooo she said she ‘wants’ FBI probe done before the hearing. Not a demand but a desire
Babeinbucland

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 pm

That’s not what I read but maybe so. Everything about this is conflicting.

I don’t know what she expects the FBI to do. It’s past the statute of limitations, it’s not a criminal case and it’s not a case they would have even gotten in the first place. It seems doubtful they act on it
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Well it appears now that this is going nowhere. The accuser has apparently claimed she won’t talk to the Senate unless the FBI investigates....which they won’t

Nooooo she said she ‘wants’ FBI probe done before the hearing. Not a demand but a desire

She also said she's not prepared to talk to the Senate on Monday.
uscbucsfan

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:42 pm

She has her chance to testify. If she does not testify, this is obviously nothing but a political delay tactic and she most likely knows that she is lying.

You all are jumping on MB but he is just vocalizing the Dems’ new operating procedure. Kavanaugh is supposed to step down because he was accused. Case closed. That’s what they want MeToo to mean. If you have an accusation it is over, whether the woman is telling the truth or not is immaterial, unless of course you are a Liberal like Ellison, then these standards don’t apply.
Brazen331

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion