Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:33 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:So you're walking along on a lovely Friday afternoon and out of nowhere the cops roll you up. You're arrested, booked, strip searched, thrown into a holding cell and get a phone call that you make to your wife. You tell her you have no idea what's going on but it must be some sort of mistaken identi[click!]

The next morning you're moved in shackles to the courthouse and shuffle your way into a courtroom where a guy you've never met stands next to you. You're told you're charged with something you know you didn't do, how do you plead?

Not Guilty.

You then begin to try and explain to the judge that there must be some ....Quiet in my courtroom or I'll hold you in contempt!

You stand in stunned silence while the guy next to you asks that bail be set for an amount of money you don't have. DENIED.

You spend 3 months in the county lockup waiting for a trial and lose your job while your mugshot is plastered all over the news and thus social media and you are now convicted in the court of public opinion. Judge decides at your pretrial conference the preponderance of the evidence is sufficient to move to trial. You've had one 20 minute conversation with your public defender who encourages you to cop a plea now for probation and a fine or wait another 3 months in jail for a trial.

"But I'm innocent!" you say.

"But can you prove it?" he says.

Take the plea deal and get out now to try and put your life back together, or fight for your innocence and get 3-5 in state prison if you lose?

This happens EVERY DAY

Now imagine you don’t get lawyer, you’re 19 years old and the “court” is run by appointed bureaucrats intent on punishing sexual assault and rape, whether it happened or not. Evidence is not required, and the burden of proof is “is it more likely than not, in the opinion of the kangaroo court.

This also happens with a frequency that is alarming.
Ken Carson

Postby Buc2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:28 am

I see the unhinged leftists caused violence to erupt in Portland yesterday. smh
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:23 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:So you're walking along on a lovely Friday afternoon and out of nowhere the cops roll you up. You're arrested, booked, strip searched, thrown into a holding cell and get a phone call that you make to your wife. You tell her you have no idea what's going on but it must be some sort of mistaken identi[click!]

The next morning you're moved in shackles to the courthouse and shuffle your way into a courtroom where a guy you've never met stands next to you. You're told you're charged with something you know you didn't do, how do you plead?

Not Guilty.

You then begin to try and explain to the judge that there must be some ....Quiet in my courtroom or I'll hold you in contempt!

You stand in stunned silence while the guy next to you asks that bail be set for an amount of money you don't have. DENIED.

You spend 3 months in the county lockup waiting for a trial and lose your job while your mugshot is plastered all over the news and thus social media and you are now convicted in the court of public opinion. Judge decides at your pretrial conference the preponderance of the evidence is sufficient to move to trial. You've had one 20 minute conversation with your public defender who encourages you to cop a plea now for probation and a fine or wait another 3 months in jail for a trial.

Take the plea deal and get out now to try and put your life back together, or fight for your innocence and get 3-5 in state prison if you lose?

This happens EVERY DAY

I’d wager 7 of 10 would take the plea.

And that's why we have overcrowded prisons that are conveniently private, for profit, institutions......
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby MJW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:39 am

Ken Carson wrote:

Not Guilty.

This happens EVERY DAY

Now imagine you don’t get lawyer, you’re 19 years old and the “court” is run by appointed bureaucrats intent on punishing sexual assault and rape, whether it happened or not. Evidence is not required, and the burden of proof is “is it more likely than not, in the opinion of the kangaroo court.

This also happens with a frequency that is alarming.

"Rights of the accused" is the major systemic human rights issue in this country right now.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:33 am

MJW wrote:
"Rights of the accused" is the major systemic human rights issue in this country right now.

I agree it is up there...I've been beating the 4th and 14th amendment drums here for the last 3 or 4 years.
Zarniwoop

Postby RedLeader » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:32 pm

lol
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:58 pm

Who dat?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 am

Babe at a Trump rally getting even for the swastika?
Swashy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 am

Swashy wrote:Babe at a Trump rally getting even for the swastika?

Who da guy tho?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:19 am

NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 am

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Swashy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 am

Ahhhh hahahahahaha let's be lax towards a known carcinogen that kills 40,000 people a year cuz it's better for architects to pressure the market and local government to counter the measures

Holy **** the population control conspiracy might actually be real now
Swashy

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 am

beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:17 am

BMD - I thought you’d be having a day or mourning that your eminent leader Alex Jones has gotten pulled off the major social media outlets

Hang in there brother....we are thinking of you
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:23 am

Zarniwoop wrote:BMD - I thought you’d be having a day or mourning that your eminent leader Alex Jones has gotten pulled off the major social media outlets

the globalists are running scared we got em right where we want em

beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:28 am

Zarniwoop wrote:BMD - I thought you’d be having a day or mourning that your eminent leader Alex Jones has gotten pulled off the major social media outlets

I for one appreciate the big tech companies protecting me from reading dangerous material from Infowars.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:37 am

DreadNaught wrote:

I for one appreciate the big tech companies protecting me from reading dangerous material from Infowars.

Were the big tech companies supposed to host Infowars to protect their free speech?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Were the big tech companies supposed to host Infowars to protect their free speech?

Only if they choose to.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:53 am

San Francisco struggles with growing homelessness problem
The City by the Bay spends hundreds of millions of dollars each year trying to help an estimated 7,500 homeless people; critics say what's needed isn't more money, but a bold new approach.

San Francisco has long been a bastion of the far left – and now it’s paying a high price for its extreme progressive policies, including once-beautiful streets filled with dangerous syringes and human waste, resembling Third World back alleys.

The city has embraced an open drug culture at the same time it spends hundreds of millions of dollars to combat a growing homelessness problem. But no matter what the city does, it seems to have the opposite effect and make things worse.

Each year, San Francisco hands out millions of syringes to drug users – 4.45 million to be exact. San Francisco officials do this because they believe this is cheaper than the medical costs associated with injectable drug users getting diseases from sharing needles. Yet as always, politically correct progressive politicians never think about the law of unintended consequences.

Aside from the monetary cost of the syringes – over $500,000 – the needle giveaway failed to get rid of the problem it was targeting. That’s because the program that aimed to prevent the spread of HIV, hepatitis and other viral diseases is responsible for drug users littering the streets with needles infected with the diseases.

It may sound heartless, but before the free-needles program, the danger of shooting up with injectable drugs like heroin was only posed to those using the drugs. Now everyone is in danger.

A child picking up a discarded syringe without realizing what it is, a person walking in sandals, a tourist sitting on a park bench, or a couple playing with their dog in the park are all at a greater risk of getting the very diseases the city was trying to contain if they come into contact with infected needles used by ill drug users.

To fix this problem, the city is now spending tens of millions of dollars to try and clean up the problem it created. Mohammed Nuru, director of the Public Works Department, estimates his department spends about $30 million to clean up the needles and feces.

“Yes, we can clean, and then go back a few hours later, and it looks as if it was never cleaned,” Nuru said.

The increase in homelessness and public defecation has created other problems. When the fecal matter is left to dry on the street, particulates can go airborne.

Dr. Lee Riley, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, Berkeley, spoke to local reporters, warning about the dangers of fecal matter when it dries, specifically rotavirus. The doctor stated: “If you happen to inhale that, it can also go into your intestine.” The virus can be fatal.

Not only is San Francisco spending money on wasteful projects – the city is losing money because of the outcome of the projects.

The San Francisco Travel Association (SFTA) has been warning about the problem for some time now, and it looks like warnings are coming true.

In its annual report, SFTA announced the while the city saw more tourists in 2017 than 2016, it fell short of the expected growth. In fact, San Francisco is seeing a slowdown in tourism growth. In 2015 tourism grew by 2.7 percent, growth slowed to 2 percent in 2016, and fell to 1.4 percent in 2017.

Tourism is a $9 billion a year industry for the cash-strapped city. San Francisco hosts between 40 and 60 conventions per year, attracting 650,000 people. Each of those convention-goers books local hotel rooms, eats at restaurants, and spends money at local stores.

Do people want to visit a city littered with human waste, drug paraphernalia, and homelessness? At least one convention has said no.

Joe D’Alessandro with Travel SF announced a major medical association decided to pull its $40 million convention out of the filthy city. Alessandro stated: “The convention felt that the streets of San Francisco are not a place that a lot of their delegates wanted to come to.”

Rest assured San Francisco residents, the city has a plan. The Board of Supervisors has heard the cry from the people and has leapt into action. By moving to ban plastic straws, cocktail drink swords, and plastic stirrers.

That’s right, disease-infested needles that can kill a person with a deadly virus are welcomed and taxpayer funded – but an olive on a cocktail sword will soon be illegal.

Yes, technically the measure has to pass another vote next week, but given the ridiculousness of the city, no one is expecting it to fail.

Far-left progressive policies have taken a city once famous around the world for its beauty and culture and made it famous for something entirely different.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 am

Here is the issue with online platforms picking and choosing what to put online. In the 90s they basically promised to be open source ... as a tradeoff they received protection from copyright.

They were allowed to take down anything illegal but weren’t supposed to filter beyond that.

They are digging their own graves (I hope)
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Here is the issue with online platforms picking and choosing what to put online. In the 90s they basically promised to be open source ... as a tradeoff they received protection from copyright.

They were allowed to take down anything illegal but weren’t supposed to filter beyond that.

They are digging their own graves (I hope)

Their argument is that they don't pick and choose what to put online. They pick and choose what to take off. That's an important distinction as if they are a publisher they lose the protection from copyrights and tort protections for offensive content. I don't think they should have such encompassing government protection in the first place. I'm fine with them losing their platform protection, which would obviously completely change their business model, but I don't think the government should step in and mandate that they put up video x, when Youtube removes 2.5 million videos a month to "appease advertisers". The government shouldn't be selecting what should be kept or dismissed.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:43 am

That’s semantics to me. They essentially are playing editorial review.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:46 am

I'm with usc on this. It's up to the host to decide if they want to host or not.

If I invite you to my house for a party, you're of course free to make yourself at home. But if you take an upper decker dump in my toilet, I'm going to ask you to leave.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:51 am

Zarniwoop wrote:That’s semantics to me. They essentially are playing editorial review.

Isn't that the case with most political/legal issues?

They aren't wrong, they aren't generating this content, so they aren't the publishers, but as Google stated, they have a right to be editors of the publishers and take off material that violates their user agreements and morals.

An argument can be made that their selection of content means they are essentially choosing the offensive content that isn't removed and are liable for the remaining offensive content.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:01 pm

I just don’t see it that way...maybe there is something technical I’m missing. Lots of news agencies (TV, radio, print) don’t generate their own content but still are liable to copyright
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I just don’t see it that way...maybe there is something technical I’m missing. Lots of news agencies (TV, radio, print) don’t generate their own content but still are liable to copyright

You say lots, but name 1 where users add content and they just choose what is deleted or not. I can't think of any. FOX News, ESPN, CNN, etc. all take stories that may or may not be original to them and place it on their platform usually with added opinions.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Fair Use, gentlemen.

News, satire, criticism, and education apply.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:12 pm

No that doesn’t apply here
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:No that doesn’t apply here

Then I'm not sure what point you're making.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:13 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I just don’t see it that way...maybe there is something technical I’m missing. Lots of news agencies (TV, radio, print) don’t generate their own content but still are liable to copyright

You say lots, but name 1 where users add content and they just choose what is deleted or not. I can't think of any. FOX News, ESPN, CNN, etc. all take stories that may or may not be original to them and place it on their platform usually with added opinions.

I’m not saying it has to be user generated.
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion