Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Nah beard, I'm waiting for this great piece of historical fiction.

The Outsider

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm

The Outsider wrote:Nah beard, I'm waiting for this great piece of historical fiction.

:lol: :lol: Nico Bellic
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 am

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Born in the Bronx, went to school upstate, moved back to the Bronx after college and actually lives in her district.

Not that republicans looking to smear her care about facts.

Totally Republicans looking to smear her. I read it on the DailyMail...

‘Girl from the Bronx' Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who beat high-ranking Democrat Joe Crowley, faces questions over her 'working class' background after it's revealed she grew up in a wealthy suburb north of New York City

'Pubs don't need to smear her. She's quite capable of doing that herself.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status ... 8993626112
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby MJW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

Buc2 wrote:
HamBone wrote:
Totally Republicans looking to smear her. I read it on the DailyMail...

‘Girl from the Bronx' Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who beat high-ranking Democrat Joe Crowley, faces questions over her 'working class' background after it's revealed she grew up in a wealthy suburb north of New York City

'Pubs don't need to smear her. She's quite capable of doing that herself.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status ... 8993626112

She doesn't need even a functional understanding of 7th grade social studies - she has FEELINGS and IDEAS!
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 am

I have no issue with her not knowing something and I applaud her for saying she doens't know a whole lot about it....I respect that.

It's a shame that wasn't the first thing out of her mouth though. That's far too common among our politicians.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I have no issue with her not knowing something and I applaud her for saying she doens't know a whole lot about it....I respect that.

It's a shame that wasn't the first thing out of her mouth though. That's far too common among our politicians.

Yep.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I have no issue with her not knowing something and I applaud her for saying she doens't know a whole lot about it....I respect that.

She should've led w/ "I'm not the expert on geopolitics on this issue" instead of waiting til after she realized she stuck her foot in her mouth. Reminds me of the 'Aleppo' moment w/ Gary Johnson, but this one wasn't that embarrassing at least. In her defense I applaud her willingness to try and be open and answer the question. But her staff should've never had her in that situation as she clearly needs to refine whatever her view is so that she can articulate without sounding like a HS kid.

DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am

Yup, you beat me to it. Not a big deal. It's fodder for her critiques, but no serious person is looking to her for foreign policy, or atleast they shouldn't.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 pm

I'd agree if she hadn't made her feelings on the subject so vocal already. If you do that without having even a basic understanding of the topic, you're a con artist, and in this case, a stupid one.
MJW

Postby MJW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Yup, you beat me to it. Not a big deal. It's fodder for her critiques, but no serious person is looking to her for foreign policy, or atleast they shouldn't.

Yeah, it isn't like Congress plays a role in crafting major foreign policy legislation. Why should she know as much about a common issue as a junior high student?
MJW

Postby MJW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm

And BTW, she has a degree in International Relations from Boston University.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Kudos to Obama for this as he's the perfect person to deliver this message. It could be argued he was integral in fostering the identity politics mess we find ourselves in right now, but I have to give him credit for speaking out against it.

link

Pres. Obama: Democracy demands getting inside "the reality of people who are different than us."

"You can't do it if you insist that those who aren't like you because they're white, or because they're male...that somehow they lack standing to speak on certain matters."

Decent speech he gave today. For all the policy based stuff I didn't agree on he's always been an outstanding public speaker.
DreadNaught

Postby RedLeader » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:14 pm

“After Pulling Out Of Paris Climate Accords, U.S. Led The World In Decreasing Carbon Emissions Last Year“

Thats.. good news.
RedLeader

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm

RedLeader wrote:“After Pulling Out Of Paris Climate Accords, U.S. Led The World In Decreasing Carbon Emissions Last Year“

Thats.. good news.

You mean the USA can take measures to reduce our own carbon emissions without some virtue signalling agreement where we pay an unequal share of the costs?

That's crazy bro. Without the Paris agreement we can't combat climate change.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:10 pm

we all gonna die!!!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

She should've led w/ "I'm not the expert on geopolitics on this issue" instead of waiting til after she realized she stuck her foot in her mouth. Reminds me of the 'Aleppo' moment w/ Gary Johnson, but this one wasn't that embarrassing at least. In her defense I applaud her willingness to try and be open and answer the question. But her staff should've never had her in that situation as she clearly needs to refine whatever her view is so that she can articulate without sounding like a HS kid.

I watched more of the interview to see what this girl is about. People are excited about her so I wanted to get a feeling for why.

At one point the interviewer brought up the employment rate being 4% to which she responded she didn’t trust that number ... which is fair enough had she stopped there ... but then she went on to say it’s so low because people are working 2 or 3 jobs.

She definitely is an impassioned speaker which can help explain why people like her so much ... she’s just going to have to study up a little on these things
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:47 pm

She's a neophyte. It's going to take her some time to sort through the new impact every single word she says can have.

Tom Perez didn't do her any favors minting her the future of the Democrat party.

She's not a leader in Congress yet, just a new voice and the DNC should help her continue to craft her message, but that's probably asking too much.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:She's a neophyte. It's going to take her some time to sort through the new impact every single word she says can have.

She should probably stop screeching about her FEEEEEE-LLLLLLINGS on major issues if she doesn't have any grasp of them. I don't think that's unreasonable. Or even better - maybe show the electorate enough respect to learn. There's a difference between not being Frank Underwood at 28, and not having any understanding of what you're going to be legislating. It's not like she mispronounced "Haifa." She doesn't seem to have any functional understanding of the Middle East, or basic economics ("Unemployment is low because people have two jobs!") ETC. She constantly sounds like an unprepared high school student trying to bullshit through a presentation. And that's while swinging at softball, "Tell us your platform" type questions.

If this ignorant ideologue is the future of the Democratic party, I wish I was still a Republican.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 pm

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:She's a neophyte. It's going to take her some time to sort through the new impact every single word she says can have.

She should probably stop screeching about her FEEEEEE-LLLLLLINGS on major issues if she doesn't have any grasp of them. I don't think that's unreasonable. Or even better - maybe show the electorate enough respect to learn. There's a difference between not being Frank Underwood at 28, and not having any understanding of what you're going to be legislating. It's not like she mispronounced "Haifa." She doesn't seem to have any functional understanding of the Middle East, or basic economics ("Unemployment is low because people have two jobs!") ETC. She constantly sounds like an unprepared high school student trying to bullshit through a presentation. And that's while swinging at softball, "Tell us your platform" type questions.

If this ignorant ideologue is the future of the Democratic party, I wish I was still a Republican.

You mean....she didn't win you over?

Maybe they should have asked her where Allepo was.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby UbuntuBuc » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 am

MJW wrote:

I struggle to name more than a handful of politicians who actually have a grasp on the basics of world diplomacy, economics or how legislation works.
UbuntuBuc

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

You mean....she didn't win you over?

What's Aleppo?
The Outsider

Postby UbuntuBuc » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

The Outsider wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You mean....she didn't win you over?

What's Aleppo?

I think that is Harpo's twin brother.

He is in Eden Memorial Park Cemetery, Los Angeles, CA.
UbuntuBuc

Postby Alpha » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 am

MJW wrote:
Buc2 wrote:She doesn't need even a functional understanding of 7th grade social studies - she has FEELINGS and IDEAS!

You mean, she's kinda like Trump...but has "feelings and ideas".

Someone should grab her by the ***** and set her straight.

If only we had someone in charge that was capable...
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:35 am

[quote="MJW"][quote="Mountaineer Buc"]She's a neophyte. It's going to take her some time to sort through the new impact every single word she says can have.
[/quote]

If this ignorant ideologue is the future of the Democratic party, I wish I was still a Republican.[/quote]

This is the future of the Democrat party, so get used to it. Keith Ellison almost became the chairman of the party and he is now calling our border an injustice because it prevents Mexicans from freely coming across to get a better job. He is also calling for a tax raise so we can transfer wealth from here to Mexico and Central America so we can create more economic parity in the Western Hemisphere.

I think the reason that Ocasio-Cortez seems so stupid is because she is the 3-Eyed Raven of the Democrat party, the young Stark boy version.

Bernie Sanders is the Max von Sydow 3-Eyed Raven and he needs to pass on his knowledge to her so he can die and she can take over.
Brazen331

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:46 am

Alpha wrote:
MJW wrote:She doesn't need even a functional understanding of 7th grade social studies - she has FEELINGS and IDEAS!

You mean, she's kinda like Trump...but has "feelings and ideas".

Someone should grab her by the ***** and set her straight.

If only we had someone in charge that was capable...

Fixed. I don't want to be given credit for MJW's excellent post.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:08 pm

How Washington DC works:

Three contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House.

One is from Chicago, another is from Kentucky, and the third is from New Orleans. All three go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The New Orleans contractor takes out a tape measure and does some measuring, then works some figures with a pencil.

"Well," he says, "I figure the job will run about $9,000. That's $4,000 for materials, $4,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me."

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $7,000. That's $3,000 for materials, $3,000 for my crew and $1,000 profit for me."

The Chicago contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, "$27,000."

The official, incredulous, says, "You didn't even measure like the other guys. How did you come up with such a high figure?”

"The Chicago contractor whispers back, "$10,000 for me, $10,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Kentucky to fix the fence."

"Done!" replies the government official.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:55 am

Significant uptick in voter registration among people under 30.

According to the political data firm TargetSmart, the percentage of newly registered voters who are under the age of 30 has grown significantly in a number of key battleground states since the February school shooting in Parkland, Florida. The surge could have big implications in this fall’s fight for control of Congress.

The study evaluated all new voter registrations in the 39 states with available data since February 14, 2018—the day of the Parkland shooting—and calculated the change in the share of new registrants who are 18 to 29 years old. Across the country, the share of youth registrants increased by a modest 2.16 percentage points. But in Indiana, Virginia, and New York—home to some of this year’s marquee House and Senate contests—the share of youth registrants increased by 9.87, 10.49, and 10.7 percentage points, respectively. In Pennsylvania—where voters will decide as many as nine competitive congressional races—the share of new registrants who are younger than 30 jumped by a whopping 16.14 percentage points. The study doesn’t evaluate how many of the new registrants may have been motivated by the #NeverAgain movement.

The findings offer an early, measurable indication that youth turnout could be higher than in previous midterm elections, though there’s no guarantee that many of the new registrants will actually vote. Just under half of all 18-to-29-year-olds were registered to vote in 2014, but less than 20 percent of that population group ended up casting ballots that year. It was the lowest rate of of youth registration and turnout recorded in four decades, according to the Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University.

here they come...
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Significant uptick in voter registration among people under 30.

According to the political data firm TargetSmart, the percentage of newly registered voters who are under the age of 30 has grown significantly in a number of key battleground states since the February school shooting in Parkland, Florida. The surge could have big implications in this fall’s fight for control of Congress.

The study evaluated all new voter registrations in the 39 states with available data since February 14, 2018—the day of the Parkland shooting—and calculated the change in the share of new registrants who are 18 to 29 years old. Across the country, the share of youth registrants increased by a modest 2.16 percentage points. But in Indiana, Virginia, and New York—home to some of this year’s marquee House and Senate contests—the share of youth registrants increased by 9.87, 10.49, and 10.7 percentage points, respectively. In Pennsylvania—where voters will decide as many as nine competitive congressional races—the share of new registrants who are younger than 30 jumped by a whopping 16.14 percentage points. The study doesn’t evaluate how many of the new registrants may have been motivated by the #NeverAgain movement.

The findings offer an early, measurable indication that youth turnout could be higher than in previous midterm elections, though there’s no guarantee that many of the new registrants will actually vote. Just under half of all 18-to-29-year-olds were registered to vote in 2014, but less than 20 percent of that population group ended up casting ballots that year. It was the lowest rate of of youth registration and turnout recorded in four decades, according to the Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University.

here they come...

Love it. Its about time.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:02 am

RedLeader wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Significant uptick in voter registration among people under 30.

here they come...

Love it. Its about time.

It's gonna change things pretty drastically. Left and right
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:27 am

here they come...

As they should. They are the next inheritors of this fine country, so they're voices need to be heard and represented whether I agree with them or not.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion