Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri May 04, 2018 3:27 pm

RedLeader wrote:
deltbucs wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I know nothing about this "tour". They must have been talking about her Fox and Friends or r/t_d.

Not everyone relies on MSM to spoon feed them the news all day, lackey... lol

To be fair, it was an article on CNN, too.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri May 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Any of you Conservatives or Libertarians care to try an experiment?

Select a belief or fundamental truth that is typical of your ideological viewpoint, and I will reciprocate with one of my own. (preferably, they'll both be in the same general topic)

Throw in some suggested reading that articulates the basis for this belief and I'll read it and try and research the viewpoint further for it's fundamental basis rather than assuming you and the author(s) are crazy, evil, greedy, etc. and you do the same. Afterwards we share notes.

It's a critical thinking experiment and hopefully dovetails with Zarni's "we can agree" thread.

I don't have a specific topic in mind so I'm open to suggestions.

Topic - Individualism

Fundamental Truth - The basis of measure in society is on the individual.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 04, 2018 3:39 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Any of you Conservatives or Libertarians care to try an experiment?

Select a belief or fundamental truth that is typical of your ideological viewpoint, and I will reciprocate with one of my own. (preferably, they'll both be in the same general topic)

Throw in some suggested reading that articulates the basis for this belief and I'll read it and try and research the viewpoint further for it's fundamental basis rather than assuming you and the author(s) are crazy, evil, greedy, etc. and you do the same. Afterwards we share notes.

It's a critical thinking experiment and hopefully dovetails with Zarni's "we can agree" thread.

I don't have a specific topic in mind so I'm open to suggestions.

Topic - Individualism

Fundamental Truth - The basis of measure in society is on the individual.

Please clarify what you mean by "basis of measure"
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Fri May 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Topic - Individualism

Fundamental Truth - The basis of measure in society is on the individual

Please clarify what you mean by "basis of measure"

The basis of measure in society is on the individual in that the needs of an individual supersedes that of any larger group within society
DreadNaught

Postby Ken Carson » Fri May 04, 2018 4:21 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Stuart wrote:I think each person has control of their mental faculties and choices, but yes, there are smaller portions of the poulation who are born a certain way.

I'll drop this now.

So you think schizophrenia, bi-polar, depression or any mental illness is a choice, outside of a small portion of the population who is born, a "certain way"?

To you a person who strikes out at a bar thinks to themselves, "I'll just try kids from now on" and bam, that's how a pedophile is born?

That's the earth is flat level ignorance.

You're not comparing homosexuality to mental illnesses, are you? (GOTCHA BITCH)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all seriousness though, I have a hard time with this debate seeing as I'm not sexually attracted to men. But I do know that I'm attracted to Hispanic women much more so than white, black or Asian women. I don't really know whether that's the way I was born or just the sum of me putting together a million little preferences and experiences and synthesizing a very basic conclusion: I am attracted to Hispanic women. And I have lived my life that way, exclusively dating (and eventually marrying) Hispanic women since I was a senior in high school. If I ever was back on the market, I sincerely doubt I'd look outside this specific group of women for a new partner.

With that in mind, I think the more interesting discussion is not "choice," but rather innate "born this way" vs "developed through experience." I certainly think people are genetically predisposed towards a lot of things in life, sexuality included, but I think that there is a huge amount of influence that happens over time to shape one's sexuality. I would hardly say I was born with a sexual preference for Latin women. But as I got older and had a million experiences like seeing Salma Hayek in Wild, Wild West, trips to Mexico as a teenager, more exposure to Latin American culture via living in Florida vs the Midwest, and genuinely positive experiences with Latin girls in friendships and dating relationships, I do think that my genetic predispositions were affirmed, however primitive they may have been.
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 04, 2018 5:21 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Please clarify what you mean by "basis of measure"

The basis of measure in society is on the individual in that the needs of an individual supersedes that of any larger group within society

Okay. Send me anything you think I should read/watch/listen to/ etc. that is going to help me understand what I need to know about it.

When I'm done I'll write you my thoughts on it and where I agree/disagree. Probably monday-ish if you get it to me tonight or tomorrow.

I have to decide on what topic I want to send you and sort through some materials to send. Try to have it for you tonight or tomorrow.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Fri May 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Stuart wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Would anyone really go all in on it being a choice?

you'd have to be pretty convinced, and have specific circumstances of someone close to you to do so, but yes I would..... as would many open minded homosexuals you speak with. thats why there's so many bisexuals....just with a guy, you don't go and come back lol. I'd take personal experience over someone's paper all day long though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale

and I personally have never gone nboth ways. we'll leave it at that. probably to much of a sore spot for most though.

How do you know you’re not gay if you haven’t tried it?

I know I ****ing hate mayonnaise, because I tried it once.
Rocker

Postby RedLeader » Sat May 05, 2018 8:53 am

Happy Mexican Cultural Appropriation Day, y’all!
RedLeader

Postby DreadNaught » Sat May 05, 2018 8:59 am

RedLeader wrote:Happy Mexican Cultural Appropriation Day, y’all!

Just got back from the liquor store so we can make margaritas!!

We're also doing a taco bar.

It's cool though b/c my wife is Cuban, which to most people from outside of Florida is pretty much Mexican.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 am

Arriba!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Just got back from the liquor store so we can make margaritas!!

We're also doing a taco bar.

It's cool though b/c my wife is Cuban, which to most people from outside of Florida is pretty much Mexican.

You insensitive bastard.
RedLeader

Postby The Outsider » Sat May 05, 2018 10:02 am

Day drinking XX Amber while wearing a sombrero? Check.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 05, 2018 10:53 am

The Outsider wrote:Day drinking XX Amber while wearing a sombrero? Check.

Chips and salsa to complete the regalia.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Sat May 05, 2018 10:59 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Day drinking XX Amber while wearing a sombrero? Check.

Chips and salsa to complete the regalia.

The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 05, 2018 11:24 am

I like these guys.

They are funny guys!

Just kill one of them.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 05, 2018 11:25 am

I love how the village in the movie translates to "little saint".
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Sat May 05, 2018 12:40 pm

I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
The Outsider

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 am

not again...

Michelle Obama: The 2016 election made me concerned for women
Jennifer Hansler
By Jennifer Hansler, CNN

Michelle Obama reflects on 2016 election

(CNN)Former first lady Michelle Obama on Saturday again criticized the role of women in electing President Donald Trump, suggesting that his victory showed a lack of women's empowerment.

"In light of this last election, I'm concerned about us, as women, and what we think about ourselves and about each other," Obama said at the United State of Women summit in Los Angeles. "What is going on in our heads where we let that happen. So I do wonder what are young girls dreaming about, if we're still there?"
Obama continued, "When the most qualified person running was a woman and look what we did instead, I mean, that says something about where we are, if we as women are still suspicious of one another, if we still have this crazy, crazy bar that we don't have for men ... if we're not comfortable with the notion that a woman could be our president, compared to what?"

Obama said she believes girls are still being "taught to be perfect" and are held to a higher standard than men.
"I wish that girls could fail as bad as men do and be okay, because let me tell you, watching men fail up, it is frustrating to see a lot of men blow it and win," Obama said.

It's not the first time that the former first lady has leveled criticism against female Trump supporters. At a conference in September 2017, Obama said "any woman who voted against Hillary Clinton voted against their own voice." The 2016 exit poll showed 52% percent of white women, 4% of black women, and 25% of Latina women voted for Trump in the 2016 election.

Speaking on Saturday, Obama dismissed the idea of making her own bid for president in 2020.

"That's not the answer either," she said. "When I hear people say 'you run,' it's part of the problem. We still didn't get 'Yes, we can' right. It's not, 'Yes, you can,' it's 'Yes, we can.' And until we get that right, it doesn't matter who runs."

"Looking for the next person to run ... that's been our distraction," Obama continued, saying it would take a collective effort to address the audience's concerns about the country.

CNN's Janet DiGiacomo contributed to this report.
Phantom Phenom

Postby mdb1958 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:09 am

[youtube]https://youtu.be/DkF-12Q95fg[/youtube]

I cant fix this.

LOL, they (youtube) cut this off at the important part of what you should hear and its very damning.

Dan Bongino made a very enlightening statement that there are several Republicans who are actually Dems, I assume he means they are adhering to their agenda. But then he said there is not one single Dem that is a Republican.
mdb1958

Postby DreadNaught » Mon May 07, 2018 7:20 pm

The NY AG Schneiderman is facing some allegations of sexual assault.

He's claiming he's just a kinky guy and everything was consensual.

Maybe he thinks it's not rape if they used safe words.
DreadNaught

Postby RedLeader » Mon May 07, 2018 8:56 pm

The report from The New Yorker documented horrifying acts of alleged violence from the liberal Democrat against multiple women. Schneiderman, who has been a voice in the #MeToo movement in recent months, has used his position as the top law enforcement official in New York State to go after disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein for his alleged sexual crimes.
RedLeader

Postby Stuart » Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 am

There's soo many of these coming out it's hard to keep up. but seriously, a lot of them are about something happened 40 years ago that the guy tried to kiss the woman.... etc. and thats sexual harrassment?????? it called an advance declined, or access denied in my experience lol

then you got some guy running in AL and multiple accusers surface 30 days prior to the vote....C'MON MAN.

I don't read em anymore.
Stuart

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 am

Stuart wrote:There's soo many of these coming out it's hard to keep up. but seriously, a lot of them are about something happened 40 years ago that the guy tried to kiss the woman.... etc. and thats sexual harrassment?????? it called an advance declined, or access denied in my experience lol

then you got some guy running in AL and multiple accusers surface 30 days prior to the vote....C'MON MAN.

I don't read em anymore.

I hear what you're saying and I don't like the vindictive, politically motivated nature of some of these accusations where women are being recruited to tell their story based on who the target is. But this situation w/ the NY AG (Schneiderman) their are multiple women and the allegations are not from 10+ years ago. The irony is that this AG is one of the guys that was going after (ex) Hollywood bigshot Harvey Weinstein despite being the same type of scumbag. This NY AG was a champion of the #MeToo movement publicly/politically meanwhile he was allegedly abusing women in his private life.

But there is a continuum when it comes to these allegations/incidents like you were saying. An unwelcome touch on the bum or going in for a kiss that isn't reciprocated is obviously boorish behavior that should get you in trouble in the work place IS NOT the same as forced sexual assault/rape. Yet many are painting it with the same brush and I don't think that is right and will hurt this #MeToo movement more than helps if that continues.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 am

Stuart wrote:There's soo many of these coming out it's hard to keep up. but seriously, a lot of them are about something happened 40 years ago that the guy tried to kiss the woman.... etc. and thats sexual harrassment?????? it called an advance declined, or access denied in my experience lol

I don't read em anymore.

Hot take alert. Thanks for chiming in, Stu
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:01 am

RedLeader wrote:The report from The New Yorker documented horrifying acts of alleged violence from the liberal Democrat against multiple women. Schneiderman, who has been a voice in the #MeToo movement in recent months, has used his position as the top law enforcement official in New York State to go after disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein for his alleged sexual crimes.

Let the memes begin...
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 am

Buc2 wrote:
Let the memes begin...

Or we could choose not to partake in the bitter idiocy?
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:11 am

So no humor (ironic or otherwise) allowed. Got it. I'll show myself out.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 08, 2018 9:20 am

Buc2 wrote:So no humor (ironic or otherwise) allowed. Got it. I'll show myself out.

If you think that's humorous all the power to you...keep posting it.

I gave you my opinion on it.

I'm sure that lady was speaking from the knowledge she had at the moment...that douchebag AG was saying and doing all the right things in public. I'm sure many people thought that about the guy...not everyone has a "D" next to their name though....so I'm guessing the "joke" only extends so far?

If she comes out and defends the dirtbag...fair game...ridicule her all you want.

But this petty political **** is tedious to me.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:So no humor (ironic or otherwise) allowed. Got it. I'll show myself out.

If you think that's humorous all the power to you...keep posting it.

I gave you my opinion on it.

I'm sure that lady was speaking from the knowledge she had at the moment...that douchebag AG was saying and doing all the right things in public. I'm sure many people thought that about the guy...not everyone has a "D" next to their name though....so I'm guessing the "joke" only extends so far?

If she comes out and defends the dirtbag...fair game...ridicule her all you want.

But this petty political **** is tedious to me.

Understood. Didn't mean to insult anyone's sensibilities.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm interested to see what comes of the Schneiderman thing. He surprisingly didn't straight up deny it and said it was consensual sexual roleplay. If that's true, this is all bogus.
The Outsider

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion