Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Absentee votes typically swing in favor of Democrats in general.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:16 pm

And Lamb won. Holy ****. Another Dem win in a Federal election in a district Trump won by 20 points.


https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ction.html

Conor Lamb leads by 0.3 percentage points, or 579 votes, over Rick Saccone with 100 percent of precincts fully reporting.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 pm

The Outsider wrote:And Lamb won. Holy ****. Another Dem win in a Federal election in a district Trump won by 20 points.


https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ction.html

Conor Lamb leads by 0.3 percentage points, or 579 votes, over Rick Saccone with 100 percent of precincts fully reporting.


Is this including absentee votes?
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
The Outsider wrote:And Lamb won. Holy ****. Another Dem win in a Federal election in a district Trump won by 20 points.


https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ction.html



Is this including absentee votes?


No, but the absentee votes would have to be something like 70% for Saccone in order for him to win.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Swashy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:32 am

Just saw that ****. That there is just the sweetest little **** you to the GOP ever. Those razor thin 500 vote margins hurt like a bitch don't they? Remember the 2000 election? I sure as hell do.
Swashy
 
Posts: 3793
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Swashy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:34 am

But seriously though, Republicans be like "How do we gerrymander the **** out of this for the next election cycle?"
Swashy
 
Posts: 3793
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby HamBone » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 am

Yeah!!! Go team!!!
User avatar
HamBone
 
Posts: 2371
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:21 am

HamBone wrote:Yeah!!! Go team!!!


I’m reminded of r/politics, which is probably the worst misnomer on the internet.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 4166
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Upper deck of the Old Sombrero
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 222 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby sanka » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 am

Trump is like a wack comedian...when you are using the same shtick over and over people get tired of it and boo you off stage. Your petty insults are not working again. Every person you have endorsed so far have lost.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
User avatar
sanka
 
Posts: 3909
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:00 am

sanka wrote:Trump is like a wack comedian...when you are using the same shtick over and over people get tired of it and boo you off stage. Your petty insults are not working again. Every person you have endorsed so far have lost.

Republicans have nowhere to go but down. As a political party, they have managed to become a majority in a majority of states as well as the majority in federal government. It's a political dominance not seen since FDR.

Trump is merely hastening the decline.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14793
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:18 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
sanka wrote:Trump is like a wack comedian...when you are using the same shtick over and over people get tired of it and boo you off stage. Your petty insults are not working again. Every person you have endorsed so far have lost.

Republicans have nowhere to go but down. As a political party, they have managed to become a majority in a majority of states as well as the majority in federal government. It's a political dominance not seen since FDR.

Trump is merely hastening the decline.


It's the ebb and flow of politics in this country.

Traditionally the party that wins a general election faces a correction in the following mid-terms. It's just like why it's so difficult for the same party to win a 3rd term after a sitting 2-term POTUS. It just rarely ever happens.

Obama got elected in '08 and Dems held all 3 branches. In '10 the GOP took back the House. In '12 the GOP took back the Senate. And now like MB stated the GOP has accumulated more seats at the state and federal level than ever before, or atleast in a very long time.

The tide always reverses eventually... Which is good. If not you end up with flirting with extremism on either end.

Lamb seems like a pretty moderate Dem. Not the hammer and sickle type of collectivist that has been synonymous with the left. Dems would be wise to find more candidates like him imo.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Republicans have nowhere to go but down. As a political party, they have managed to become a majority in a majority of states as well as the majority in federal government. It's a political dominance not seen since FDR.

Trump is merely hastening the decline.


It's the ebb and flow of politics in this country.

Traditionally the party that wins a general election faces a correction in the following mid-terms. It's just like why it's so difficult for the same party to win a 3rd term after a sitting 2-term POTUS. It just rarely ever happens.

Obama got elected in '08 and Dems held all 3 branches. In '10 the GOP took back the House. In '12 the GOP took back the Senate. And now like MB stated the GOP has accumulated more seats at the state and federal level than ever before, or atleast in a very long time.

The tide always reverses eventually... Which is good. If not you end up with flirting with extremism on either end.

Lamb seems like a pretty moderate Dem. Not the hammer and sickle type of collectivist that has been synonymous with the left. Dems would be wise to find more candidates like him imo.



You're right about Lamb. There need to be more moderate voices in both parties IMO.

As for you saying this is the normal ebb and flow of politics, sure, the incumbent party usually loses ground. They don't typically lose districts they dominated by 20 points a little less than 18 months ago.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 am

The Outsider wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
It's the ebb and flow of politics in this country.

Traditionally the party that wins a general election faces a correction in the following mid-terms. It's just like why it's so difficult for the same party to win a 3rd term after a sitting 2-term POTUS. It just rarely ever happens.

Obama got elected in '08 and Dems held all 3 branches. In '10 the GOP took back the House. In '12 the GOP took back the Senate. And now like MB stated the GOP has accumulated more seats at the state and federal level than ever before, or atleast in a very long time.

The tide always reverses eventually... Which is good. If not you end up with flirting with extremism on either end.

Lamb seems like a pretty moderate Dem. Not the hammer and sickle type of collectivist that has been synonymous with the left. Dems would be wise to find more candidates like him imo.



You're right about Lamb. There need to be more moderate voices in both parties IMO.

As for you saying this is the normal ebb and flow of politics, sure, the incumbent party usually loses ground. They don't typically lose districts they dominated by 20 points a little less than 18 months ago.


That's fair. But districts can be finicky and it's unwise to characterize a single district across the entire nation imo. Maybe that district wasn't a good match for candidate Hillary and appealed to more moderate local candidate like Lamb. I don't know the voting history and recent events there other than Trump did well vs Hillary in 2016. I'd need more data/context before making bold proclamations of what last night really meant. It's obviously a positive sign for Dems though.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:24 am

Hell to the yeah. Lamb needs to be the template for Democrats moving forward. He is a pragmatic politician who prioritizes things that matter to a wide base of people, specifically not an ‘us vs them’ guy (save for his union stuff, but you can’t be a Democrat in PA without being pro-union).
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 3893
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Swashy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:51 am

For what it's worth the PA 18th congressional district has enjoyed Republican domination with the exception of 2 nominated candidates since 1880 in Doug Walgren from 1977-1991 and Frank Doyle in 1995-2003. So basically the Democrats have combined for just over 20 years of governing that region in almost the last 140 when the great concern was territorial expansion, tarrifs and the gold standard.

This may not say much about the rest of America but it should be viewed as nothing short of a complete and total disaster by the Republicans. In a few ways this is even worse than Jones winning the vacant senate seat in Alabama. All he had to do was run against a friggin sex offender. I'm sure they'll win the 18th district again very shortly but the fact this can happen at all is like not having a single hammer at a construction site.

Dems will take it while it lasts and likely squander any kind of momentum this might create
Swashy
 
Posts: 3793
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 am

DreadNaught wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

You're right about Lamb. There need to be more moderate voices in both parties IMO.

As for you saying this is the normal ebb and flow of politics, sure, the incumbent party usually loses ground. They don't typically lose districts they dominated by 20 points a little less than 18 months ago.


That's fair. But districts can be finicky and it's unwise to characterize a single district across the entire nation imo. Maybe that district wasn't a good match for candidate Hillary and appealed to more moderate local candidate like Lamb. I don't know the voting history and recent events there other than Trump did well vs Hillary in 2016. I'd need more data/context before making bold proclamations of what last night really meant. It's obviously a positive sign for Dems though.



From everything I gathered watching the coverage of this election is that it's typically a red district for the past couple decades, which is why I'm feeling like it's a major sign of a Dem resurgence.

To be perfectly honest though, I'm not partisan. Right now I think the Dems are the best choice for the country. Before this election I was a Republican. I had never voted for D before 2016 either.

I changed my registration because I cared more about the D primary than the R. I knew that Hillary was a poor candidate and Bernie, if he had gotten the nomination, could have energized the young side of the party.

But then, I've never voted for a winning President so I should have known better.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:27 am

McMaster says something tough on Russia, and hours later he's fired.

Tillerson says something tough on Russia and a day later he's fired.

Hmm.....
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:49 am

The Outsider wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
That's fair. But districts can be finicky and it's unwise to characterize a single district across the entire nation imo. Maybe that district wasn't a good match for candidate Hillary and appealed to more moderate local candidate like Lamb. I don't know the voting history and recent events there other than Trump did well vs Hillary in 2016. I'd need more data/context before making bold proclamations of what last night really meant. It's obviously a positive sign for Dems though.



From everything I gathered watching the coverage of this election is that it's typically a red district for the past couple decades, which is why I'm feeling like it's a major sign of a Dem resurgence.

To be perfectly honest though, I'm not partisan. Right now I think the Dems are the best choice for the country. Before this election I was a Republican. I had never voted for D before 2016 either.

I changed my registration because I cared more about the D primary than the R. I knew that Hillary was a poor candidate and Bernie, if he had gotten the nomination, could have energized the young side of the party.

But then, I've never voted for a winning President so I should have known better.


Same here for the most part and changed my party representation from no party to Dem for the primary like you did. Not that I even liked Bernie's politics as much as the fact he was an outsider and agent of political change to the political establishment. But like you, I've voted for both parties from the local level to the federal level over the past 15-20 years. Although I feel myself being more conservative the older I get. That said I fucks with alot of classical liberal ideals. I just don't fucks with this ideal of group identity and collectivism that has become more pervasive these last few years. I'm pretty flexible in what I can support providing it focuses on individual freedom and prosperity instead of this post modernist collectivism. That **** is a cancer imo and wholly un-American. If people don't like meritocracy, competition, and free markets then cool, just take that **** elsewhere instead of making America some shithole socialist country like the rest of them. These American ideals/principles promote opportunity, which is why everyone wants to comes here. I support anything that promotes equality of opportunity for all American citizens and I believe the data indicates we as a country have made great strides in that area the past 50 years. But these hammer and sickle leftists conflate equality of opportunity with equality of outcome, which is anti-American/Capitalist.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

Some 88 year old Congresswomen named Louise Slaughter died today.

Not to be shitty, but shouldn't we have max age limits for elected officials? We already have minimum age limits depending on the office, so why not maximum? I mean c'mon, there is no reason someone over 80 needs to still be holding public office.

Enjoy your pension in peace and quiet away from public life.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:42 am

DreadNaught wrote:Some 88 year old Congresswomen named Louise Slaughter died today.

Not to be shitty, but shouldn't we have max age limits for elected officials? We already have minimum age limits depending on the office, so why not maximum? I mean c'mon, there is no reason someone over 80 needs to still be holding public office.

Enjoy your pension in peace and quiet away from public life.

What limit would you like to see?
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 12346
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 999 times
Been thanked: 429 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 am

I’d much prefer term limits to age limits

No reason to have these dipshits spend their whole life in “public service”. These 30+ year politicians are laughable
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6972
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 am

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Some 88 year old Congresswomen named Louise Slaughter died today.

Not to be shitty, but shouldn't we have max age limits for elected officials? We already have minimum age limits depending on the office, so why not maximum? I mean c'mon, there is no reason someone over 80 needs to still be holding public office.

Enjoy your pension in peace and quiet away from public life.

What limit would you like to see?


Idk, 75-80 as a max seems about right. Just saying, 88yrs old is really damn old. This lady died from the injuries sustained from falling down. She fell, b/c that is what happens when you're old as ****.

She should have been relaxing and enjoying retirement. Instead her job likely killed her...
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I’d much prefer term limits to age limits

No reason to have these dipshits spend their whole life in “public service”. These 30+ year politicians are laughable


I agree there 100%. Why not both though...
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 am

I just don’t like using age as a criteria for employment.

If someone is capable of doing the job and are willing to so be it. Age limits seem fine in some jobs but I just don’t see it for Congress


That being said, if we put a limit at 80, while I wouldn’t vote for it, a candidates stance on the issue would really make no difference to me when voting
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6972
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I just don’t like using age as a criteria for employment.

If someone is capable of doing the job and are willing to so be it. Age limits seem fine in some jobs but I just don’t see it for Congress


That being said, if we put a limit at 80, while I wouldn’t vote for it, a candidates stance on the issue would really make no difference to me when voting


There is already minimum age limits for Congress.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am

I’m not the biggest fan of those either. For a job like this, I would think the voters should be able to decide who is capable
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6972
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I’d much prefer term limits to age limits

No reason to have these dipshits spend their whole life in “public service”. These 30+ year politicians are laughable


I agree there 100%. Why not both though...

The counterbalance argument to "career Politicians" is the democratic process.

As logical and anti-corruption as term limits may be, there is also the will of a district's voters to elect a representative they are satisfied with. It was not until after the death of FDR that term limits were put in place for POTUS and given the political power of the office it has stood as a logical step.

Are we ready to decide as a society that members of congress have emassed enough political power to justify term limitations? Or are we going for the easy fix to do away with politicians from other districts we don't like?

Don Young has been in the House of Representatives since 1973. Is the length of his tenure due to corruption, gerrymandering, etc. Or is he just a good public servant the people of Alaska are very fond of? If I favored term limits, I would want Don out of Congress because he's an NRA Republican goon. I've never even been to Alaska. Shouldn't the people of Alaska be the one to decide if his services are no longer required? Because if it's up to me, not only am I going to put term limits on Congress to get rid of guys like Don, I'm going to put him and all the other Baby Boomers to death.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 14793
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Location: Crestucky
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
I agree there 100%. Why not both though...

The counterbalance argument to "career Politicians" is the democratic process.

As logical and anti-corruption as term limits may be, there is also the will of a district's voters to elect a representative they are satisfied with. It was not until after the death of FDR that term limits were put in place for POTUS and given the political power of the office it has stood as a logical step.

Are we ready to decide as a society that members of congress have emassed enough political power to justify term limitations? Or are we going for the easy fix to do away with politicians from other districts we don't like?

Don Young has been in the House of Representatives since 1973. Is the length of his tenure due to corruption, gerrymandering, etc. Or is he just a good public servant the people of Alaska are very fond of? If I favored term limits, I would want Don out of Congress because he's an NRA Republican goon. I've never even been to Alaska. Shouldn't the people of Alaska be the one to decide if his services are no longer required? Because if it's up to me, not only am I going to put term limits on Congress to get rid of guys like Don, I'm going to put him and all the other Baby Boomers to death.


Will you be calling for your own death when you get older?
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13798
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 557 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 am

Nothing is perfect, and people will find another suitable person to fill a good congressperson's seat when their term expires.

I'd rather take the lesser evil of good public servants being term limited over the much worse reality of shitty public servants staying in office for longer than I've been alive.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 272 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:45 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The counterbalance argument to "career Politicians" is the democratic process.

As logical and anti-corruption as term limits may be, there is also the will of a district's voters to elect a representative they are satisfied with. It was not until after the death of FDR that term limits were put in place for POTUS and given the political power of the office it has stood as a logical step.

Are we ready to decide as a society that members of congress have emassed enough political power to justify term limitations? Or are we going for the easy fix to do away with politicians from other districts we don't like?

Don Young has been in the House of Representatives since 1973. Is the length of his tenure due to corruption, gerrymandering, etc. Or is he just a good public servant the people of Alaska are very fond of? If I favored term limits, I would want Don out of Congress because he's an NRA Republican goon. I've never even been to Alaska. Shouldn't the people of Alaska be the one to decide if his services are no longer required? Because if it's up to me, not only am I going to put term limits on Congress to get rid of guys like Don, I'm going to put him and all the other Baby Boomers to death.


Will you be calling for your own death when you get older?

All joking aside, MB brings up a good counter argument. It's got me thinking. My quick response is, most voters are too stupid to be voting, so term limits would mitigate the stupid voter voting for the same dickhead term after term after term because, "I know HIS name!" {pushes button for Dickhead}

However, I can see that's not that great of a counter argument to what MB said. That was just my quick go-to. :)
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 12346
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 999 times
Been thanked: 429 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 17 guests