Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Roughly 500 employees are expected to return to work after U.S. Steel reopens a facility, citing President Trump's tariff as the reason for its anticipated business boost.

Well looky here!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Pirate Life » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
Yeah Lyin Ted got called out pretty quickly for that one.

Cruz is one of the biggest phonies around. I can't stand the guy.

At least with Cornyn, I think he's just an idiot. With Cruz though it's different...he seems like a genuinely smart guy, he is just lying, deceiving and slimy.

For a long time I could never figure out why I had such a knee-jerk reaction to Ted Cruz until I realized he looks like creepy televangelist Ernst Angley.

Pirate Life

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Roughly 500 employees are expected to return to work after U.S. Steel reopens a facility, citing President Trump's tariff as the reason for its anticipated business boost.

Well looky here!

And the increase in prices of all the goods that rely on steel or aluminum will increase such that demand for other products will decrease eliminating even more jobs

(not counting the decrease in demand for exports if we get into a trade war)
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Roughly 500 employees are expected to return to work after U.S. Steel reopens a facility, citing President Trump's tariff as the reason for its anticipated business boost.

Well looky here!

And the increase in prices of all the goods that rely on steel or aluminum will increase such that demand for other products will decrease eliminating even more jobs

Well looky here!
NYBF

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm

NYBF wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Well looky here!

I did and your point being? Zero.

Loser
Phantom Phenom

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:
NYBF wrote:
Well looky here!

I did and your point being? Zero.

Loser

You’re more fun in TD.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 am

I know its a touchy subject, but I heard on NPR today that Mississippi might pass a bill that bans abortion (allowing for a few exceptions) after 15 weeks.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I know its a touchy subject, but I heard on NPR today that Mississippi might pass a bill that bans abortion (allowing for a few exceptions) after 15 weeks.

That would save a lot more kids than any gun control bill could.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I know its a touchy subject, but I heard on NPR today that Mississippi might pass a bill that bans abortion (allowing for a few exceptions) after 15 weeks.

That would save a lot more kids than any gun control bill could.

Moving the restriction from 18 weeks to 15 weeks would save more than the 1300 kids that die annually from guns? Interesting take.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Buc2 wrote:That would save a lot more kids than any gun control bill could.

Moving the restriction from 18 weeks to 15 weeks would save more than the 1300 kids that die annually from guns? Interesting take.

Yeah...that's stretching it since they only perform about 2200 abortions per year in Mississippi. Not sure what that 3 week difference might make, but however much it is, I'd be willing to bet it's more than the # of kids killed by guns in their state.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Ugh.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 pm

The Outsider wrote:Ugh.

mm-hmm. I don't want any part of this one.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Hey...I'm actually pro abortion rights. I'm just sayin...
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

I just want you to be honest. Moving a cutoff by 3 weeks isn't eliminating abortions and trying to tie it to gun legislation is just intellectually dishonest.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:45 pm

bucfanclw wrote:I just want you to be honest. Moving a cutoff by 3 weeks isn't eliminating abortions and trying to tie it to gun legislation is just intellectually dishonest.

That most certainly is not being intellectually dishonest. In fact, it's being intellectual.

Killing kids is killing kids. It shouldn't matter if the instrument that does the killing is a gun or a doctors instrument. Just because the kid killed with a gun had a face (in other words, was out in the world where people could see him, hear him or talk to him), it's considered reprehensible by our society. And rightly so. But the kids we don't see other than the baby bump on a woman's midsection, make it easier for us to tell ourselves that that kid wasn't really a kid yet, so it's okay.

You may not like that argument, but it's an argument that is considered very valid to anti-abortionists. At the end of the day, a kid is dead, and the fact is, we're purposely killing a lot more of them via legal abortion than guns do. If we're going to have this big movement to control guns so they stop killing kids, then shouldn't we be having a movement to abolish abortion? After all, the results of both actions are deadly to children.

However, like I said, I'm pro-choice, but at the same time, I'm pro 2A and anti-gun control. But that doesn't make the above argument intellectually dishonest just because I'm pro-choice.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 am

So that kid who everyone hated for increasing that drug price was sentenced to 7 years in prison today on unrelated fraud charges

And apparently wept like a baby
Zarniwoop

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:46 am

Zarniwoop wrote:So that kid who everyone hated for increasing that drug price was sentenced to 7 years in prison today on unrelated fraud charges

That’s awesome.
Commander Bubbles

Postby The Outsider » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:45 am

Zarniwoop wrote:So that kid who everyone hated for increasing that drug price was sentenced to 7 years in prison today on unrelated fraud charges

**** Shkreli.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Interesting commentary. The gist of the article is that today's American liberals have lost themselves in a sea of "isms" and "phobias" that no longer fit societal reality.

OPINION COMMENTARY
The Exhaustion of American Liberalism
White guilt gave us a mock politics based on the pretense of moral authority.
By Shelby Steele
Updated March 5, 2017 6:20 p.m. ET

The recent flurry of marches, demonstrations and even riots, along with the Democratic Party’s spiteful reaction to the Trump presidency, exposes what modern liberalism has become: a politics shrouded in pathos. Unlike the civil-rights movement of the 1950s and ’60s, when protesters wore their Sunday best and carried themselves with heroic dignity, today’s liberal marches are marked by incoherence and downright lunacy—hats designed to evoke sexual organs, poems that scream in anger yet have no point to make, and an hysterical anti-Americanism.

All this suggests lostness, the end of something rather than the beginning. What is ending?

America, since the ’60s, has lived through what might be called an age of white guilt. We may still be in this age, but the Trump election suggests an exhaustion with the idea of white guilt, and with the drama of culpability, innocence and correctness in which it mires us.

White guilt is not actual guilt. Surely most whites are not assailed in the night by feelings of responsibility for America’s historical mistreatment of minorities. Moreover, all the actual guilt in the world would never be enough to support the hegemonic power that the mere pretense of guilt has exercised in American life for the last half-century.

White guilt is not angst over injustices suffered by others; it is the terror of being stigmatized with America’s old bigotries—racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia. To be stigmatized as a fellow traveler with any of these bigotries is to be utterly stripped of moral authority and made into a pariah. The terror of this, of having “no name in the street” as the Bible puts it, pressures whites to act guiltily even when they feel no actual guilt. White guilt is a mock guilt, a pretense of real guilt, a shallow etiquette of empathy, pity and regret.

It is also the heart and soul of contemporary liberalism. This liberalism is the politics given to us by white guilt, and it shares white guilt’s central corruption. It is not real liberalism, in the classic sense. It is a mock liberalism. Freedom is not its raison d’être; moral authority is.

When America became stigmatized in the ’60s as racist, sexist and militaristic, it wanted moral authority above all else. Subsequently the American left reconstituted itself as the keeper of America’s moral legitimacy. (Conservatism, focused on freedom and wealth, had little moral clout.) From that followed today’s markers of white guilt—political correctness, identity politics, environmental orthodoxy, the diversity cult and so on.

This was the circumstance in which innocence of America’s bigotries and dissociation from the American past became a currency of hardcore political power. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, good liberals both, pursued power by offering their candidacies as opportunities for Americans to document their innocence of the nation’s past. “I had to vote for Obama,” a rock-ribbed Republican said to me. “I couldn’t tell my grandson that I didn’t vote for the first black president.”

For this man liberalism was a moral vaccine that immunized him against stigmatization. For Mr. Obama it was raw political power in the real world, enough to lift him—unknown and untested—into the presidency. But for Mrs. Clinton, liberalism was not enough. The white guilt that lifted Mr. Obama did not carry her into office—even though her opponent was soundly stigmatized as an iconic racist and sexist.

Perhaps the Obama presidency was the culmination of the age of white guilt, so that this guiltiness has entered its denouement. There are so many public moments now in which liberalism’s old weapon of stigmatization shoots blanks— Elizabeth Warren in the Senate reading a 30-year-old letter by Coretta Scott King, hoping to stop Jeff Sessions’s appointment as attorney general. There it was with deadly predictability: a white liberal stealing moral authority from a black heroine in order to stigmatize a white male as racist. When Ms. Warren was finally told to sit, there was real mortification behind her glaring eyes.

This liberalism evolved within a society shamed by its past. But that shame has weakened now. Our new conservative president rolls his eyes when he is called a racist, and we all—liberal and conservative alike—know that he isn’t one. The jig is up. Bigotry exists, but it is far down on the list of problems that minorities now face. I grew up black in segregated America, where it was hard to find an open door. It’s harder now for young blacks to find a closed one.

This is the reality that made Ms. Warren’s attack on Mr. Sessions so tiresome. And it is what caused so many Democrats at President Trump’s address to Congress to look a little mortified, defiantly proud but dark with doubt. The sight of them was a profound moment in American political history.

Today’s liberalism is an anachronism. It has no understanding, really, of what poverty is and how it has to be overcome. It has no grip whatever on what American exceptionalism is and what it means at home and especially abroad. Instead it remains defined by an America of 1965—an America newly opening itself to its sins, an America of genuine goodwill, yet lacking in self-knowledge.

This liberalism came into being not as an ideology but as an identity. It offered Americans moral esteem against the specter of American shame. This made for a liberalism devoted to the idea of American shamefulness. Without an ugly America to loathe, there is no automatic esteem to receive. Thus liberalism’s unrelenting current of anti-Americanism.

Let’s stipulate that, given our history, this liberalism is understandable. But American liberalism never acknowledged that it was about white esteem rather than minority accomplishment. Four thousand shootings in Chicago last year, and the mayor announces that his will be a sanctuary city. This is moral esteem over reality; the self-congratulation of idealism. Liberalism is exhausted because it has become a corruption.

Mr. Steele, a senior fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution, is author of “Shame: How America’s Past Sins Have Polarized Our Country” (Basic Books, 2015).

Appeared in the March 6, 2017, print edition.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Tripe.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Tripe.

I knew it would be to you.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Tripe.

I knew it would be to you.

If he was anywhere near valid criticism of the left, I'd have been all like "Hey, this interesting because..."

But it's not. It's mental masturbation for conservatives who think everything would be fine if these doggone libtards would go away. It's tripe and offers no food for thought, only validation of preconceived notions.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Frankly, liberalism and conservatism have been exactly the same for thousands of years. There have always been people averse to changing the way things are, people who want to change things slowly, and people who want to chug along with progress at a rapid pace and damn the cost.

And there have always been douchebags who will co-opt those ideologies for selfish reasons.

That entire article was bollocks. The author clearly needs to learn how to see the forest for the trees. His premise is as fallible as the liberal counter-point against conservatives. Which is basically the same argument and you swap the two ideologies.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Buc2 wrote:Interesting commentary. The gist of the article is that today's American liberals have lost themselves in a sea of "isms" and "phobias" that no longer fit societal reality.

OPINION COMMENTARY
The Exhaustion of American Liberalism
White guilt gave us a mock politics based on the pretense of moral authority.
By Shelby Steele
Updated March 5, 2017 6:20 p.m. ET

The recent flurry of marches, demonstrations and even riots, along with the Democratic Party’s spiteful reaction to the Trump presidency, exposes what modern liberalism has become: a politics shrouded in pathos. Unlike the civil-rights movement of the 1950s and ’60s, when protesters wore their Sunday best and carried themselves with heroic dignity, today’s liberal marches are marked by incoherence and downright lunacy—hats designed to evoke sexual organs, poems that scream in anger yet have no point to make, and an hysterical anti-Americanism.

All this suggests lostness, the end of something rather than the beginning. What is ending?

America, since the ’60s, has lived through what might be called an age of white guilt. We may still be in this age, but the Trump election suggests an exhaustion with the idea of white guilt, and with the drama of culpability, innocence and correctness in which it mires us.

White guilt is not actual guilt. Surely most whites are not assailed in the night by feelings of responsibility for America’s historical mistreatment of minorities. Moreover, all the actual guilt in the world would never be enough to support the hegemonic power that the mere pretense of guilt has exercised in American life for the last half-century.

White guilt is not angst over injustices suffered by others; it is the terror of being stigmatized with America’s old bigotries—racism, sexism, homophobia and xenophobia. To be stigmatized as a fellow traveler with any of these bigotries is to be utterly stripped of moral authority and made into a pariah. The terror of this, of having “no name in the street” as the Bible puts it, pressures whites to act guiltily even when they feel no actual guilt. White guilt is a mock guilt, a pretense of real guilt, a shallow etiquette of empathy, pity and regret.

It is also the heart and soul of contemporary liberalism. This liberalism is the politics given to us by white guilt, and it shares white guilt’s central corruption. It is not real liberalism, in the classic sense. It is a mock liberalism. Freedom is not its raison d’être; moral authority is.

When America became stigmatized in the ’60s as racist, sexist and militaristic, it wanted moral authority above all else. Subsequently the American left reconstituted itself as the keeper of America’s moral legitimacy. (Conservatism, focused on freedom and wealth, had little moral clout.) From that followed today’s markers of white guilt—political correctness, identity politics, environmental orthodoxy, the diversity cult and so on.

This was the circumstance in which innocence of America’s bigotries and dissociation from the American past became a currency of hardcore political power. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, good liberals both, pursued power by offering their candidacies as opportunities for Americans to document their innocence of the nation’s past. “I had to vote for Obama,” a rock-ribbed Republican said to me. “I couldn’t tell my grandson that I didn’t vote for the first black president.”

For this man liberalism was a moral vaccine that immunized him against stigmatization. For Mr. Obama it was raw political power in the real world, enough to lift him—unknown and untested—into the presidency. But for Mrs. Clinton, liberalism was not enough. The white guilt that lifted Mr. Obama did not carry her into office—even though her opponent was soundly stigmatized as an iconic racist and sexist.

Perhaps the Obama presidency was the culmination of the age of white guilt, so that this guiltiness has entered its denouement. There are so many public moments now in which liberalism’s old weapon of stigmatization shoots blanks— Elizabeth Warren in the Senate reading a 30-year-old letter by Coretta Scott King, hoping to stop Jeff Sessions’s appointment as attorney general. There it was with deadly predictability: a white liberal stealing moral authority from a black heroine in order to stigmatize a white male as racist. When Ms. Warren was finally told to sit, there was real mortification behind her glaring eyes.

This liberalism evolved within a society shamed by its past. But that shame has weakened now. Our new conservative president rolls his eyes when he is called a racist, and we all—liberal and conservative alike—know that he isn’t one. The jig is up. Bigotry exists, but it is far down on the list of problems that minorities now face. I grew up black in segregated America, where it was hard to find an open door. It’s harder now for young blacks to find a closed one.

This is the reality that made Ms. Warren’s attack on Mr. Sessions so tiresome. And it is what caused so many Democrats at President Trump’s address to Congress to look a little mortified, defiantly proud but dark with doubt. The sight of them was a profound moment in American political history.

Today’s liberalism is an anachronism. It has no understanding, really, of what poverty is and how it has to be overcome. It has no grip whatever on what American exceptionalism is and what it means at home and especially abroad. Instead it remains defined by an America of 1965—an America newly opening itself to its sins, an America of genuine goodwill, yet lacking in self-knowledge.

This liberalism came into being not as an ideology but as an identity. It offered Americans moral esteem against the specter of American shame. This made for a liberalism devoted to the idea of American shamefulness. Without an ugly America to loathe, there is no automatic esteem to receive. Thus liberalism’s unrelenting current of anti-Americanism.

Let’s stipulate that, given our history, this liberalism is understandable. But American liberalism never acknowledged that it was about white esteem rather than minority accomplishment. Four thousand shootings in Chicago last year, and the mayor announces that his will be a sanctuary city. This is moral esteem over reality; the self-congratulation of idealism. Liberalism is exhausted because it has become a corruption.

Mr. Steele, a senior fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution, is author of “Shame: How America’s Past Sins Have Polarized Our Country” (Basic Books, 2015).

Appeared in the March 6, 2017, print edition.

I'm white. I feel no guilt

Anyone who does is a moron
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Good article.
beardmcdoug

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Trump’s 2020 slogan will be 'Keep America Great!

This man will win re-election period
Phantom Phenom

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Trump’s 2020 slogan will be 'Keep America Great!

I think one thing that should be clear...is we are worse than we have ever been at predicting what will happen politically.

As a society, we are prisoners of the moment. (SADLY)

As such, we don't know who we will elect until the moment arrives
Zarniwoop

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Trump’s 2020 slogan will be 'Keep America Great!

I think one thing that should be clear...is we are worse than we have ever been at predicting what will happen politically.

As a society, we are prisoners of the moment. (SADLY)

As such, we don't know who we will elect until the moment arrives

with the stuff he's been pushing lately. I don’t think any of Democrat candidate have a chance
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Laughable. Trump is doomed politically. His own party hates him.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 pm

how bout Obama bowing to the Saudi king

that was embarrassing

He’s assclown
Phantom Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion