Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Wharf Rat wrote:
sanka wrote:Wharf since you like breaking down things....Can you break down this verbal diarrhea? Dread how can you still defend this idiot?

Everybody in government is full of ****?

First, did he become full of **** when he came to Washington, or was he full of **** before he came to Washington?

Second, if they are all the same... why do you always defend this guy?
Corsair

Postby Wharf Rat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:

Everybody in government is full of ****?

First, did he become full of **** when he came to Washington, or was he full of **** before he came to Washington?

I don't think I've defended him. I don't buy the Russia/Trump collusion narrative, but that doesn't mean I'm defending him.
Wharf Rat

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Wharf Rat wrote:
Corsair wrote:

I don't think I've defended him. I don't buy the Russia/Trump collusion narrative, but that doesn't mean I'm defending him.

You are right. I mistook where you were coming from.
Corsair

Postby HamBone » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:25 am

Violence erupted at a Make America Great Again rally in Huntington Beach on Saturday after a protester opposed to President Trump allegedly doused a female organizer of the event with pepper spray, sparking a brawl that ended with several arrests.

Violence in HB? Lol...that ain't newsworthy
HamBone

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 am

sanka wrote:Wharf since you like breaking down things....Can you break down this verbal diarrhea? Dread how can you still defend this idiot?

But, he's not like the other boys. This one is different...
mightyleemoon

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:45 am

Positive news for those who want change in the DNC establishment:
DNC chair asks for staff resignations as overhaul begins

Washington (CNN)Newly installed Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez has asked all the committee's staffers to submit their resignations by April 15 as he begins an overhaul of the party's organization.

The house-cleaning move means Perez can start from scratch as he remakes a DNC that was rocked by hacks, accusations of favoritism and leadership shakeups during the 2016 campaign.

"This is longstanding precedent at the DNC and has happened during multiple chair transitions," DNC spokeswoman Xochitl Hinojosa said. "The process was started before the election of the new chair. From the beginning, Tom has been adamant that we structure the DNC for future campaigns. Current and future DNC staff will be integral to that effort."

Leah Daughtry, an adviser to interim chair Donna Brazille and the chief executive officer of the 2016 Democratic National Convention, sent a letter asking every party staffer to submit letters of resignation dated April 15 immediately after Perez won the DNC chair race a month ago. NBC News first reported the request.

DNC staffers expected the request. The party had already been operating at reduced staffing levels, and had brought on some staffers on temporary contracts.

A Democrat familiar with the request called it normal in leadership transitions, and said the same thing has happened during previous installations of new party chairs. The move is also expected to allow Perez to make structural changes at the DNC that many party members consider overdue.

Already, a 30-person committee launched by Perez is interviewing potential new staffers as the party attempts to put the rifts caused by the 2016 primary contest between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders behind it. Also to be determined: The roles that new deputy chair Keith Ellison -- the Minnesota congressman who narrowly lost the party's chair race to Perez -- and other vice chairs will play.

The overhaul will be particularly welcome to progressives, who viewed the DNC under former chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz as biased in favor of Clinton and against Sanders. Progressive activists, angered by Wasserman Schultz, called for wholesale changes at the DNC during the 2016 election.
Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:58 am

I lol'ed
Corsair

Postby MJW » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:43 am

Corsair wrote:Positive news for those who want change in the DNC establishment:

Washington (CNN)Newly installed Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez has asked all the committee's staffers to submit their resignations by April 15 as he begins an overhaul of the party's organization.

The house-cleaning move means Perez can start from scratch as he remakes a DNC that was rocked by hacks, accusations of favoritism and leadership shakeups during the 2016 campaign.

"This is longstanding precedent at the DNC and has happened during multiple chair transitions," DNC spokeswoman Xochitl Hinojosa said. "The process was started before the election of the new chair. From the beginning, Tom has been adamant that we structure the DNC for future campaigns. Current and future DNC staff will be integral to that effort."

Leah Daughtry, an adviser to interim chair Donna Brazille and the chief executive officer of the 2016 Democratic National Convention, sent a letter asking every party staffer to submit letters of resignation dated April 15 immediately after Perez won the DNC chair race a month ago. NBC News first reported the request.

DNC staffers expected the request. The party had already been operating at reduced staffing levels, and had brought on some staffers on temporary contracts.

A Democrat familiar with the request called it normal in leadership transitions, and said the same thing has happened during previous installations of new party chairs. The move is also expected to allow Perez to make structural changes at the DNC that many party members consider overdue.

Already, a 30-person committee launched by Perez is interviewing potential new staffers as the party attempts to put the rifts caused by the 2016 primary contest between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders behind it. Also to be determined: The roles that new deputy chair Keith Ellison -- the Minnesota congressman who narrowly lost the party's chair race to Perez -- and other vice chairs will play.

The overhaul will be particularly welcome to progressives, who viewed the DNC under former chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz as biased in favor of Clinton and against Sanders. Progressive activists, angered by Wasserman Schultz, called for wholesale changes at the DNC during the 2016 election.

I mean...yes? On one hand, everything they're saying about the corrupt, crony DNC is 100% accurate.

On the other hand, this is a man who has actively supported communist party members running for office in general elections against...Democrats. Were I a remotely mainstream Democratic voter, I'd probably be pleased about that that crony insider part and terrified by the second part. This is a man who is going to confuse why Bernie Sanders was popular with why he was terrifying, and mold the Democratic Party (perhaps without any dissenting moderate input) according to that misconception.

TL/DR - Perez is a hardliner and he's (likely) going to surround himself with hardliners in an attempt to win elections in a center-right country.
MJW

Postby deltbucs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:20 am

Donald Trump changed up the establishment, too.
deltbucs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 am

MJW wrote:

I mean...yes? On one hand, everything they're saying about the corrupt, crony DNC is 100% accurate.

On the other hand, this is a man who has actively supported communist party members running for office in general elections against...Democrats. Were I a remotely mainstream Democratic voter, I'd probably be pleased about that that crony insider part and terrified by the second part. This is a man who is going to confuse why Bernie Sanders was popular with why he was terrifying, and mold the Democratic Party (perhaps without any dissenting moderate input) according to that misconception.

TL/DR - Perez is a hardliner and he's (likely) going to surround himself with hardliners in an attempt to win elections in a center-right country.

Then you have nothing to worry about.

After all, a center-right country would never vote for a bunch of hardline communists.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

Then you have nothing to worry about.

After all, a center-right country would never vote for a bunch of hardline communists.

The lure of 'free ****' can be tempting for a society that is becoming increasingly lazy.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Then you have nothing to worry about.

The lure of 'free ****' can be tempting for a society that is becoming increasingly lazy.

beardmcdoug

Postby deltbucs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:09 am

deltbucs

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:51 am

Let's make sure we know what we are giving up....

Having a school voucher system (proposed by self serving and deeply ignorant Education secretary Betsy DeVos) doesn't just mean you can choose any school you want your kid to go to. It also means the public education program will be dismantled. Let me explain... If your child has an IEP, frame it. Then kiss it good-bye. If you have a job in special-education, meaning if you're a: special education teacher, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech pathologist, a para, or a teacher's aid, you're in the same boat. If you are in ESL teacher, you'll go first.
House Bill 610 makes some large changes.
Inform yourselves.
This bill will effectively start the school voucher system to be used by children ages 5-17 and starts the defunding process of public schools.
The bill will eliminate the Elementary and Education Act of 1965, which is the nation's educational law that provides equal opportunity in education.
ESSA is a big comprehensive program that covers programs for struggling learners, advanced and gifted kids in AP classes, ESL classes, classes for minorities such as Native Americans, Rural Education, Education for the Homeless, School Safety (Gun-Free schools), Monitoring and Compliance, and Federal Accountability Programs. Yes, there are all of these programs happening in our education system, in addition to just academics.
The Bill also abolishes the Nutritional Act of 2012 (No Hungry Kids Act) which provides nutritional standards in school breakfast and lunch.
The bill has no wording whatsoever protecting Special Needs kids, no mention of IDEA, and FAPE.
Some things ESSA does for Children with Disabilities:
-Ensures access to the general education curriculum.
-Ensures access to accommodations on assessments.
-Ensures concepts of Universal Design for Learning.
-Includes provisions that require local education agencies to provide evidence-based interventions in schools with consistently underperforming subgroups.
-Requires states in Title I plans to address how they will improve conditions for learning including reducing incidents of bullying and harassment in schools, overuse of discipline practices and reduce the use of aversive behavioral interventions (such as restraints and seclusion).
Of course you can your representative and ask him/her to vote NO on House Bill 610 (HR 610) for all the good that will do :evil:
Babeinbucland

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

The churches need that school money tho.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:31 pm

You've convinced me...I'm all for it
HamBone

Postby RedLeader » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:55 pm

deltbucs wrote:Image

Gawwwddamn, I love me some ****ing irony. Lol.
RedLeader

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The churches need that school money tho.

They should fund their schools with all the money they save by not paying taxes while acting like a corporation and promoting their political agenda.
Babeinbucland

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:The churches need that school money tho.

They should fund their schools with all the money they save by not paying taxes while acting like a corporation and promoting their political agenda.

Churches should not pay taxes.

That's the give and take that comes with the wall of separation. You tax churches, and you give them taxation without representation. You give them a seat at the table in government.

The founders knew better than to do that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:They should fund their schools with all the money they save by not paying taxes while acting like a corporation and promoting their political agenda.

That's the give and take that comes with the wall of separation. You tax churches, and you give them taxation without representation. You give them a seat at the table in government.

They grabbed that seat a long time ago. But I do agree with you that that is not what the founders wanted. They didn't want much of what we have today unfortunately. :(
Babeinbucland

Postby HamBone » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:42 am

Babeinbucland wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Churches should not pay taxes.

They grabbed that seat a long time ago. But I do agree with you that that is not what the founders wanted. They didn't want much of what we have today unfortunately. :(

They certainly didn't want a lot of what we have today...
HamBone

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:They should fund their schools with all the money they save by not paying taxes while acting like a corporation and promoting their political agenda.

Heads of churches have to dig their current gig of no taxation AND a seat at the table.
mightyleemoon

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:25 am

There are laws on the books regarding what churches, or any not for profit organization, can do when it comes to politics. If you have examples of organizations breaking those laws maybe you should contact your congressperson. (I'm sure there are instances of where this is happening)

Churches are allowed to teach their religious doctrines even when it comes to topics that are politically charged. They have the freedom to say abortion is wrong...they DO NOT have the freedom to tell their congregation to vote for or against a particular candidate or bill.

Those very same protections apply to "liberal" not for profit causes such as labor unions and environmental organizations. Labor unions are allowed to inform their members and advance their ideas on labor related issues, even politically charged ones. They are not allowed to tell their members to vote for a particular candidate. Same with not for profit science organizations. They can discuss something as politically charged as climate change but they cannot tell their members to vote a certain way.

If a Not For Profit chooses to engage in political advertising, and yes they have the right to do that, their expenses will be taxed accordingly.

I'm guessing those of you who have posted having issues with churches either:

1.) don't understand the current laws
2.) would have those very same issues with "liberal" not for profits -- oddly enough though, I can't find any posts about them
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:55 am

“Have you heard of Susan B. Anthony?” he asked.
NYBF

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:15 am

House voted through a law to bar the EPA from relying on unpublished scientific studies. Granted, the EPA can't publish scientific studies they didn't perform themselves and their budget is being cut to make sure they can't perform them so basically this bill bars the EPA from using science.

...and they had the gall to call it the HONEST Act.
bucfanclw

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Those very same protections apply to "liberal" not for profit causes such as labor unions and environmental organizations.

What about "conservative" not for profit causes? Are they treated the same as the "liberal" ones?

Zarniwoop wrote:they DO NOT have the freedom to tell their congregation to vote for or against a particular candidate or bill.

They are also not allowed to influence government officials. So, I have a problem with the amount of lobbying done on behalf of religious text. For instance, throughout much of this country, you can't go to the grocery store and buy beer on Sundays (or only limited hours on Sundays).

Keep your church out of my life.
mightyleemoon

Postby RedLeader » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Those very same protections apply to "liberal" not for profit causes such as labor unions and environmental organizations.

What about "conservative" not for profit causes? Are they treated the same as the "liberal" ones?

Zarniwoop wrote:they DO NOT have the freedom to tell their congregation to vote for or against a particular candidate or bill.

They are also not allowed to influence government officials. So, I have a problem with the amount of lobbying done on behalf of religious text. For instance, throughout much of this country, you can't go to the grocery store and buy beer on Sundays (or only limited hours on Sundays).

Lol. Take it easy, snowflake.
RedLeader

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:20 am

RedLeader wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Lol. Take it easy, snowflake.

It would be easier to 'take it easy' if I were allowed to have a beer.
mightyleemoon

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 am

You'll get no argument out of me....Sunday prohibitions are stupid. So are dry cities/counties...all of these laws were set up solely for religious reasons.

Believe me, you won't find a bigger supporter of keeping my church out of your life or government then me. I sure as **** don't want the government in my church
Zarniwoop

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 am

Zarniwoop wrote:You'll get no argument out of me....Sunday prohibitions are stupid. So are dry cities/counties...all of these laws were set up solely for religious reasons.

Believe me, you won't find a bigger supporter of keeping my church out of your life or government then me. I sure as **** don't want the government in my church

(Because it appears not everyone got it...that was a generic 'your' in my post)

I would think churches would feel the same way. I would think they would want the government to not regulate their practices with the same tenacity as me wanting them to stay out of my refrigerator.

Also, just as you think non-religious folks are confused about the laws...so, too, are those on the religious side. If we had a nickle every time some religious bozo thinks their religious freedom is being trampled because they aren't allowed to put up a cross in a public school or put up a nativity scene on the lawn at the courthouse...
mightyleemoon

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion