Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:09 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:This is purely rhetorical because I know you won't answer me, but doesn't this exact line of thinking explain why trickle down economics won't actually create jobs? If the jobs aren't necessary based on demand, I don't understand why a company would create a wasteful position simply because it got a no-strings-attached tax cut.

1. Liberals talk more about trickle down economics more than anyone. You bring it up more than anyone on this board. If it's so important to you, why not answer these types of questions? Even in the tax thread, many conservatives were simply saying the rich/companies receive tax cuts because it's their money. Many don't believe in massive wealth redistribution.

2. Since you love the concept so much, you should know that trickle down economics/theory is not just to give money to the poor/create jobs, but it's based on the idea that reducing taxes on business/wealthy will boost/benefit the economy long term. This isn't just in job creation, which is an imperfect indicator of economic success, it's paying higher wages, bonuses, expanding business, which leads to an increase in sales/consumerism.

On your second point, you should relay that to the Federal Reserve because Monetary policy there is set with the goal of maximizing employment. But I digress.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Actually the #1 goal for Greenspan, Bernackie and Yellin has been keeping inflation as low as possible

Greenspan even came out and said he was far too obsessed with it to the detriment of the economy

That being said, I certainly agree they also prioritized employment levels ... but they have much less direct impact on those

END THE FED! END THE FED!!

I suppose that’s for another day. :P
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Actually the #1 goal for Greenspan, Bernackie and Yellin has been keeping inflation as low as possible

Greenspan even came out and said he was far too obsessed with it to the detriment of the economy

Fed's website:

What economic goals does the Federal Reserve seek to achieve through its monetary policy?
The Federal Reserve works to promote a strong U.S. economy. The Congress has directed the Fed to conduct the nation's monetary policy to support three specific goals: maximum sustainable employment, stable prices, and moderate long-term interest rates. These goals are sometimes referred to as the Fed's "mandate."

Maximum sustainable employment is the highest level of employment that the economy can sustain while maintaining a stable inflation rate.

Prices are considered stable when consumers and businesses don't have to worry about rising or falling prices when making plans, or when borrowing or lending for long periods. When prices are stable, long-term interest rates remain at moderate levels, so the goals of price stability and moderate long-term interest rates go together.

The Fed seeks to achieve its monetary policy mandate by influencing interest rates and general financial conditions. For example, by keeping policy interest rates low, the Fed makes homes more affordable for consumers and makes it cheaper for businesses to invest, expand, and hire. And by raising policy interest rates when inflation pressures are building, the Fed helps to cool the economy and preserve price stability.

as they say at Yale....Nanny, nanny, boo-boo

I digressed from usc's point on this because I think the Fed should change it's goal from maximizing employment to mitigating poverty or raising the standard of living.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:25 pm

I’d be happy to give you the links to Greenspan, bernackie and Yellin all saying their primary focus is on inflation if you want.

The Fed has no legal tools to mitigate poverty. They attempt to raise the standard of living by keeping inflation low.

As you know their three tools are

1.) Fed funds rate
2.) Reserve requirements
3.). Buying / selling securities

That’s it. That’s all they are allowed to do.

I’m very surprised MB that you want this group of PRIVATE BAMKETS to influence the economy. They are all the same Uber wealthy multinational banks you always rail against and want split up.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I’d be happy to give you the links to Greenspan, bernackie and Yellin all saying their primary focus is on inflation if you want.

The Fed has no legal tools to mitigate poverty. They attempt to raise the standard of living by keeping inflation low.

As you know their three tools are

1.) Fed funds rate
2.) Reserve requirements
3.). Buying / selling securities

That’s it. That’s all they are allowed to do.

I’m very surprised MB that you want this group of PRIVATE BAMKETS to influence the economy. They are all the same Uber wealthy multinational banks you always rail against and want split up.

I don't want to argue semantics.

But the Federal Reserve is ALREADY a huge influence on the economy and I don't see any way of changing that. The Fed is also allegedly regulated by congress whereas the retail and investment banks aren't....at least not in the same way.... I don't think comparing a central bank and a retail bank is a fair comparison.

There's ideas of things the Fed could do with a monetary policy focused on poverty and the ideas are still developing. Inflation mitigation will always be something they look at.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:40 pm

I agree they are a huge influence. I don’t think they should be.

If someone is going to focus on reducing poverty I would much rather have it be our elected officials in Washington than a group of private bankers.

(Look at me arguing for govt intervention :). At least we can presumably and theoretically hold the DC folks accountable with our votes...the Fed has no built in control mechanism whatsoever)

History has repeatedly shown central banks (or quasi central banks like the Fed) generally suck and do more harm then good.
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I agree they are a huge influence. I don’t think they should be.

If someone is going to focus on reducing poverty I would much rather have it be our elected officials in Washington than a group of private bankers.

(Look at me arguing for govt intervention :). At least we can presumably and theoretically hold the DC folks accountable with our votes...the Fed has no built in control mechanism whatsoever)

History has repeatedly shown central banks (or quasi central banks like the Fed) generally suck and do more harm then good.

Well said.
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Good health care article about prescription meds and how our govt creates a quasi-monopoly for US drug companies and pharmacies by restricting us from purchasing overseas. And how the blind eye the govt turned when people buy from Canada might be changing

I know the article is limited in scope but I wish it would have talked about our ridiculously long patent/trademark rules too

https://reason.com/blog/2018/01/03/are- ... to#comment
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:36 am

So North Korea evidently hit one of their own cities with a missile. Oops!
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am

Kress wrote:So North Korea evidently hit one of their own cities with a missile. Oops!

Odd this is just now being reported since it happened last April. My only guess is our government has known this for quite some time but chose not to make it public. Now that the satellite imagery is available to the public, the story is finally out.

Here's the story in The Diplomat that all the other news agencies are citing...

https://thediplomat.com/2018/01/when-a- ... rean-city/
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:31 pm

The old win by random lottery thing

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-w ... 12820.html
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm

For any conservatives out there who agree with Federal marijuana laws.

Why? What is the benefit? Why not let this be decided at the state level?

We could go down a road and include drinking age in this discussion, but we can start here.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:19 pm

What's the legal toking age in Colorado?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:What's the legal toking age in Colorado?

21, I believe, but this is more of a matter of legalizing on a federal level.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:26 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:What's the legal toking age in Colorado?

21, I believe, but this is more of a matter of legalizing on a federal level.

I was just looking to get this fact into the discussion since regulation is inevitably going to come up.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 pm

I've already made my thoughts known on the subject of marijuana legislation. It needs to be legal. Not just medical legal, but recreational legal. As a, self-described, liberal conservative, I have always held this belief. Not just recently.

As for drinking age, I was 15 when Florida lowered the legal drinking age to 18 a few years after the 26th Amendment passage. So, for me, that was a pretty big deal at the time. Joined the navy in '75 out of high school and was sent to San Diego for my school. The drinking age in Cali was still 21 (I think it stayed that way), but I was able to drink alcohol on base. Went to Virginia (Yorktown) from there where it was also 18 at the time. By the time it went back up to 21, I was well of age. I see no sane reason to lower that age. I might, however, be inclined to allow active duty military to drink at age 18.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:23 pm

I was hoping someone would step up and justify a federal ban on marijuana. Just want to see their perspective and why they don't think it should be a state's decision.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:48 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I was hoping someone would step up and justify a federal ban on marijuana. Just want to see their perspective and why they don't think it should be a state's decision.

It's addictive like crack (says the 2 pack a day cigarette smoker)
It leads to harder drugs (says the evangelical Christian)
Marijuana usage will increase if legalized (baaahahaha! no ****, sherlock)
It's bad for your health (says the fat-ass slob next door)
No proof that medical marijuana actually has any real medicinal qualities (says the local acupuncturist)
Marijuana will become the new "big tobacco" (says the CEO of Philip Morris)
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Buc2 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I was hoping someone would step up and justify a federal ban on marijuana. Just want to see their perspective and why they don't think it should be a state's decision.

No proof that medical marijuana actually has any real medicinal qualities (says the local acupuncturist)

It will hurt the pharmaceutical companies that are lining our pockets (says the people in DC)
bucfanclw

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:23 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Buc2 wrote:It's addictive like crack (says the 2 pack a day cigarette smoker)

It will hurt the pharmaceutical companies that are lining our pockets (says the people in DC)

I guess I'll piggy back that it appears legal marijuana creates panic and fear about the potential of pumping your own gas.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:53 pm

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/948951780871819264

Posting this because I want to see Brazen, Buc2, usc, Red Leader, mdb, and Zarni say "I agree with Bernie Sanders on this".
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:54 pm

I agree with Bernie Sanders on this
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I agree with Bernie Sanders on this

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:56 pm

There’s a few other things as well but we best leave those for another day ... lol
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/948951780871819264

Posting this because I want to see Brazen, Buc2, usc, Red Leader, mdb, and Zarni say "I agree with Bernie Sanders on this".

The only 2 on this list I would be surprised to see say that would be Red Leader and Brazen.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:59 pm

I agree with Bernie Sanders on this.

You know he wanted to say, "No one who has seriously smoked the stuff, myself included, believes that."
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:00 pm

bucfanclw wrote:

The only 2 on this list I would be surprised to see say that would be Red Leader and Brazen.

Let me have my moment, Dammit!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Buc2 wrote:

I agree with Bernie Sanders on this.

You know he wanted to say, "No one who has seriously smoked the stuff, myself included, believes that."

Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Buc2 wrote:

No proof that medical marijuana actually has any real medicinal qualities (says the local doctor**)

Liked your post - except that one small change :) hell the acupuncturist is probably high at work
beardmcdoug

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm

I agree with Bernie Sanders on this and when he said to Hillary in their first debate, "You can't just kick in the door to Washington and get everything changed. Especially with a Republican controlled Congress, most of what you are promising is fantasy" (or close to that).
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion