Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:27 am

HamBone wrote:Fiscal conservativism is dead...thanks Republicans. You are no different than Democrats when you are in power. Both of you make me sick...

This.

There is no smaller government movement in DC anymore. There's simply a fight to decide who gets credit for the short-term benefits and blame for the long-term costs.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:09 am

Because the American people keep crying about things and then re-elect the ones that make them cry over and over again. The fruit flies and the good ole boys, they all need to go. The dangerous thing with doing that is the sheer amount of highly educated replacements are scary government educated brain deads.

Then the societal majority could be dancing around with joy only to see it get much much worse.
mdb1958

Postby Wharf Rat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 am

HamBone wrote:Fiscal conservativism is dead...thanks Republicans. You are no different than Democrats when you are in power. Both of you make me sick...

I agree, and liked this quote by Rand Paul:

“When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party," Paul said at one point. "But when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party. The hypocrisy hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."

At this point, Rand Paul is the only one, with an R after his name, that I’d vote for.
Wharf Rat

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:20 am

Wharf Rat wrote:

“When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party," Paul said at one point. "But when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party. The hypocrisy hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."

Yet the dude can barely muster 2% of the primary vote. :(

That goes to what mdb was saying above...it's the fault of the people electing the same dead-weights election after election.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Wharf Rat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 am

Buc2 wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:

Yet the dude can barely muster 2% of the primary vote. :(

That goes to what mdb was saying above...it's the fault of the people electing the same dead-weights election after election.

Yes, it’s frustrating. Before I changed my party affiliation, I voted for Rand in the primaries. To me, he’s always the best option Republicans offer, but he never has a chance.
Wharf Rat

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Yet the dude can barely muster 2% of the primary vote. :(

Yes, it’s frustrating. Before I changed my party affiliation, I voted for Rand in the primaries. To me, he’s always the best option Republicans offer, but he never has a chance.

Yep. He got my vote in the last GOP primary. Not because he is libertarian, per se, but because he had a much more libertarian mindset than anyone else that was running for the GOP nomination. The actual libertarian candidate (regardless of who it is) never stands a snowball's chance in Hell, so Rand was the next best option imo. Lot of good that did me.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am

So much of what is wrong with politics could be fixed with the establishment of term limits.
Rocker

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:41 am

I love Rand Paul but he ran an awful campaign. He absolutely caved on many of his underlying principles to try to muster votes.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I love Rand Paul but he ran an awful campaign. He absolutely caved on many of his underlying principles to try to muster votes.

That he did. If he plans to run again, I can only hope he learned from that mistake.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 am

it's a double edged sword.

a true libertarian has one of two choices:

1.) go a bit more mainstream like Rand did
2.) stay true to the principles and hope to alter the conversation

History has taught us that neither really work. No matter how much Ron Paul tried to shift the political debates he couldn't get either the media nor the other republican candidates to actually discuss details of things that mattered...they were all more focused on the trite sound bytes to stupid topics. And as you pointed out Rand didn't do all that well in the primary....it's a shame, for a while early on he had good numbers. But then the silliness of political discourse took over and people didn't actually want to talk about long term fiscal soundness or erosion of liberty anymore.

The simple fact of the matter is that Americans right now do not value personal freedoms ... as such the libertarian platform is not popular. Why don't they value freedom? You're guess is as good as mine...I suspect it has to do with the responsibility that comes with that freedom...Americans don't seem to like that word very much either.

Sadly, this leaves us with the only option being a long term one that starts at the local level.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Sadly, this leaves us with the only option being a long term one that starts at the local level.

Bingo. The Libertarian Party needs to focus on winning local elections before taking on national, or even statewide elections. It would mean a much longer time-frame when it comes to getting libertarian ideals into the mainstream, but I really don't see any other way.

Edit: I actually did a small amount of work for the Robert Sarvis campaign, the Libertarian candidate for the 2013 Virginia Gubernatorial election. He pulled in 6.5% of the vote which was well short of the 10% goal they were hoping for. 10% would have gotten the party automatic stage time in gubernatorial debates in the next cycle. It's really tough to get your word out when they don't even let your candidate on the debate stage. Fast forward to the 2017 Virginia Gubernatorial election and the Libertarian candidate, Cliff Hyra, sadly only managed a hair over 1% of the vote. So, yes, even statewide elections are a tough sell for a party that can't get on TV.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 am

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Sadly, this leaves us with the only option being a long term one that starts at the local level.

Bingo. The Libertarian Party needs to focus on winning local elections before taking on national, or even statewide elections. It would mean a much longer time-frame when it comes to getting libertarian ideals into the mainstream, but I really don't see any other way.

Edit: I actually did a small amount of work for the Robert Sarvis campaign, the Libertarian candidate for the 2013 Virginia Gubernatorial election. He pulled in 6.5% of the vote which was well short of the 10% goal they were hoping for. 10% would have gotten the party automatic stage time in gubernatorial debates in the next cycle. It's really tough to get your word out when they don't even let your candidate on the debate stage. Fast forward to the 2017 Virginia Gubernatorial election and the Libertarian candidate, Cliff Hyra, sadly only managed a hair over 1% of the vote. So, yes, even statewide elections are a tough sell for a party that can't get on TV.

I worked for Nebraska State Senator Laura Ebke's campaign. She's had a direct, concrete impact in the Unicam here, writing and sponsoring libertarian legislation that has passed.

You really can't build a viable third party from the top down.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:50 am

I haven’t heard of her. What types of things has she successfully sponsored and passed?
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I haven’t heard of her. What types of things has she successfully sponsored and passed?

She's the State Senator from Crete, Nebraska, about a half-hour southwest of Lincoln. There've been a number of small bills, including NRA friendly stuff. She's pushed through legislation that's cut fat from various Nebraska state departments, legislation that's lowered various state taxes, she's fought our draconian minimum sentencing laws, mainstreamed the DMV, and most notably, she wrote and pushed through legislation that makes Nebraska one of the easiest states for 3rd party candidates to get on the state ballot. She's respected by both parties and we're very proud of her.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 am

Cool. Thanks for sharing.
Zarniwoop

Postby Pirate Life » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 pm

This could go into a number of threads I s'pose... be interesting to learn more.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/09/don ... ction-nsa/

Over the past year, American intelligence officials have opened a secret communications channel with the Russian operatives, who have been seeking to sell both Trump-related materials and documents stolen from the National Security Agency and obtained by Russian intelligence...

For the love of god I hope there's nothing in there involving urine.
Pirate Life

Postby Buc2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:05 am

Finally! Irrefutable proof.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Army Times poll says 98% of soldiers DO NOT want to participate in President Trump's parade.

The other 2% had just graduated from basic.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Army Times poll says 98% of soldiers DO NOT want to participate in President Trump's parade.

98% of Soldiers do not want to participate in any parade...
HamBone

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Pirate Life wrote:This could go into a number of threads I s'pose... be interesting to learn more.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/09/don ... ction-nsa/

Over the past year, American intelligence officials have opened a secret communications channel with the Russian operatives, who have been seeking to sell both Trump-related materials and documents stolen from the National Security Agency and obtained by Russian intelligence...

For the love of god I hope there's nothing in there involving urine.

This is absurd. If you pay for information that Russia stole, doesn’t this just encourage more espionage? And how do you ‘buy back’ this information? They already have it, copied, and utilized it.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:20 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Army Times poll says 98% of soldiers DO NOT want to participate in President Trump's parade.

98% of Soldiers do not want to participate in any parade...

Exactly.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:55 am

I thought the parade was a stupid idea until I saw how exorcised and flustered liberals are over it. So let’s have a parade; I love all the hysteria and whining. Tricky **** Durban was just complaining about it being a waste of money. Since when have Liberals given a damn about the government wasting money? It’s beyond transparent, if Obama wanted a parade, they would be down with it.
Brazen331

Postby sanka » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 am

Brazen331 wrote:I thought the parade was a stupid idea until I saw how exorcised and flustered liberals are over it. So let’s have a parade; I love all the hysteria and whining. Tricky **** Durban was just complaining about it being a waste of money. Since when have Liberals given a damn about the government wasting money? It’s beyond transparent, if Obama wanted a parade, they would be down with it.

Yea lets take our military guys out of their training to salute an idiotic President who skipped joining the military for some bullshit. As Trump bragged about his penis size before on tv...this nothing but a **** measuring parade....if you got a big **** who don't need to brag about it if you are not confident.

Brazen I am sure you got a baby **** like trump.
sanka

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 am

sanka wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:I thought the parade was a stupid idea until I saw how exorcised and flustered liberals are over it. So let’s have a parade; I love all the hysteria and whining. Tricky **** Durban was just complaining about it being a waste of money. Since when have Liberals given a damn about the government wasting money? It’s beyond transparent, if Obama wanted a parade, they would be down with it.

Yea lets take our military guys out of their training to salute an idiotic President who skipped joining the military for some bullshit. As Trump bragged about his penis size before on tv...this nothing but a **** measuring parade....if you got a big **** who don't need to brag about it if you are not confident.

Brazen I am sure you got a baby **** like trump.

How can you be anti-parade, Sanka? You’re Liberal and gay; it doesn’t make any sense. Every parade doesn’t have to be a Pride parade you know.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:57 am

Spoken like the troll you are.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Spoken like the troll you are.

Serious question, which costs more a parade or Obamas fancy vacations and trips to hollywood.
mdb1958

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:43 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Spoken like the troll you are.

Serious question, which costs more a parade or Obamas fancy vacations and trips to hollywood.

Are you not concerned that Trump is far exceeding Obama's annual spending on leisure trips?
bucfanclw

Postby Pirate Life » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Spoken like the troll you are.

More than likely, the parade down Pennsylvania Ave. The parade for the inauguration is generally a multi-million dollar part of the inauguration (inauguration day generally costs $100 million plus), military parade will likely run a similar amount to that parade if not more. Security costs for events around Pennsylvania Ave tend to not be cheap. Toss in the idea that there will be weapons and military equipment rolling down the road as well... that's not likely to pay for itself.
Pirate Life

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 am

Pirate Life wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

More than likely, the parade down Pennsylvania Ave. The parade for the inauguration is generally a multi-million dollar part of the inauguration (inauguration day generally costs $100 million plus), military parade will likely run a similar amount to that parade if not more. Security costs for events around Pennsylvania Ave tend to not be cheap. Toss in the idea that there will be weapons and military equipment rolling down the road as well... that's not likely to pay for itself.

Which of the aforementioned events has more value?
mdb1958

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Pirate Life wrote:

Which of the aforementioned events has more value?

To whom?
bucfanclw

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion