Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:32 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Hey MB - what do you think of this small idea for helping lessen income inequality and helping improve income mobility? It’s just a small thing but everything helps right?

https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/10/worr ... ity-get-ri

Depends on the profession.

I dont give a rip if somebody wants to do hair or some sort of low proficiency trade like that. But certain professions, such as the building trades should still have some minimum requirements.

The original study has a nice list (below) of the newly licensed ones they looked at. Some certainly make sense, but to me, the vast majority don't.

Texas, which is one of the least licensed states, actually requires a "Shampooist" to be licensed. :P

https://www.archbridgeinstitute.org/wp- ... ndix-2.pdf
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Depends on the profession.

I dont give a rip if somebody wants to do hair or some sort of low proficiency trade like that. But certain professions, such as the building trades should still have some minimum requirements.

The original study has a nice list (below) of the newly licensed ones they looked at. Some certainly make sense, but to me, the vast majority don't.

Texas, which is one of the least licensed states, actually requires a "Shampooist" to be licensed. :P

https://www.archbridgeinstitute.org/wp- ... ndix-2.pdf

a lot of these trades are justifiable. The building trades in particular as well as any of them that are a public safety issue such as school bus driver, Fire alarm installer (I worked in this field) or preschool teacher.

But a license to be a friggin Upholsterer, landscaper, or Home entertainment installer is simply unnecessary.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
a lot of these trades are justifiable. The building trades in particular as well as any of them that are a public safety issue such as school bus driver, Fire alarm installer (I worked in this field) or preschool teacher.

But a license to be a friggin Upholsterer, landscaper, or Home entertainment installer is simply unnecessary.

When I look through that list I would scrap about 80% of those classifications. Many states already do and it's not like there is some awful epidemic in those states in those industries.

Here's an anecdote from down here in TX.....

There was a bill a few years ago that was going to require Daycare folks to have a graduate degree. Can you think of anything stupider? Think about how many of the current day care providers (who already don't get paid enough) wouldn't be able to keep doing jobs they are already doing well? Daycare is a field where you have lots of working class folks who can make a decent living...burdening them more is nonsense.

Daycare facilities already have to be licensed...why license at the individual level as well? I see this happen at many different positions where there is a double layer of licensing / inspecting...seems completely stupid to me and a great way to make it a whole lot more difficult for working class people to make a decent living.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

When I look through that list I would scrap about 80% of those classifications. Many states already do and it's not like there is some awful epidemic in those states in those industries.

Here's an anecdote from down here in TX.....

There was a bill a few years ago that was going to require Daycare folks to have a graduate degree. Can you think of anything stupider? Think about how many of the current day care providers (who already don't get paid enough) wouldn't be able to keep doing jobs they are already doing well? Daycare is a field where you have lots of working class folks who can make a decent living...burdening them more is nonsense.

Daycare facilities already have to be licensed...why license at the individual level as well? I see this happen at many different positions where there is a double layer of licensing / inspecting...seems completely stupid to me and a great way to make it a whole lot more difficult for working class people to make a decent living.

You have to juxtapose that with the need to ensure that Mary Catherine O'puddinpop has some level of qualification for the job before putting her in charge of kids at a day care. Criminal background check, education verification, etc. Sure, the employer has to have a specific license to have a daycare and all the regulations and inspections that go with it as well, but the employer also has the benefit of a pool of qualified candidates to hire. This DOES inflate the per hour value of those people. This is a daycare we are discussing in this instance and as such is a public safety issue.

Now the licensing for hair stylists and nail technicians I'll agree with you all day about. There's no real threat to public health or safety there, nor is there if I'm going to reupholster your sofa. A standard business license is quite sufficient for that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:17 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:You have to juxtapose that with the need to ensure that Mary Catherine O'puddinpop has some level of qualification for the job before putting her in charge of kids at a day care. Criminal background check, education verification, etc. Sure, the employer has to have a specific license to have a daycare and all the regulations and inspections that go with it as well, but the employer also has the benefit of a pool of qualified candidates to hire. This DOES inflate the per hour value of those people. This is a daycare we are discussing in this instance and as such is a public safety issue.

I couldn't disagree more with this. 20 states don't have licensing of child care workers ... if its so essential that they have to get licensed through state governments, why aren't we reading story after story about those who aren't licensed injuring or harming kids?

There are tons of jobs that impact the safety of the community and its citizens where licensing isn't required for each individual worker.

Seems completely stupid to me...and as the study shows, it absolutely reduces economic mobility of those workers.

There was a story here not too long ago that some woman watches four kids, from three different of her friends so the kids' parents can both go to work. She charges them significantly less than daycare (which is outrageously expensive here!)....when the gov't found out about it, they made her discontinue her service because she wasn't licensed. They argued she isn't doing "babysitting" because its an every day thing for extended periods of time. That right there is about as stupid as a law can get.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am

I sure everyone in Florida breathes much easier knowing that funeral attendants have to be licensed in their state.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am

Buc2 wrote:I sure everyone in Florida breathes much easier knowing that funeral attendants have to be licensed in their state.

Its amazing that for hundreds of years we had some of these professions and didn't have major problems yet somehow they had to be regulated by bureaucrats

don't get me wrong, I don't think there should be no licensing at all...i just think the degree to which is happens is insane
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I sure everyone in Florida breathes much easier knowing that funeral attendants have to be licensed in their state.

Its amazing that for hundreds of years we had some of these professions and didn't have major problems yet somehow they had to be regulated by bureaucrats

don't get me wrong, I don't think there should be no licensing at all...i just think the degree to which is happens is insane

I agree. That list in the 2nd link you posted was very eye opening.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby deltbucs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You have to juxtapose that with the need to ensure that Mary Catherine O'puddinpop has some level of qualification for the job before putting her in charge of kids at a day care. Criminal background check, education verification, etc. Sure, the employer has to have a specific license to have a daycare and all the regulations and inspections that go with it as well, but the employer also has the benefit of a pool of qualified candidates to hire. This DOES inflate the per hour value of those people. This is a daycare we are discussing in this instance and as such is a public safety issue.

I couldn't disagree more with this. 20 states don't have licensing of child care workers ... if its so essential that they have to get licensed through state governments, why aren't we reading story after story about those who aren't licensed injuring or harming kids?

There are tons of jobs that impact the safety of the community and its citizens where licensing isn't required for each individual worker.

Seems completely stupid to me...and as the study shows, it absolutely reduces economic mobility of those workers.

There was a story here not too long ago that some woman watches four kids, from three different of her friends so the kids' parents can both go to work. She charges them significantly less than daycare (which is outrageously expensive here!)....when the gov't found out about it, they made her discontinue her service because she wasn't licensed. They argued she isn't doing "babysitting" because its an every day thing for extended periods of time. That right there is about as stupid as a law can get.

Zarniwoop wrote:

Agreed and agreed.
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:44 pm

deltbucs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm

deltbucs wrote:Image

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Paul Ryan is retiring and all I can muster is “don’t let the door hit you”
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:39 pm

"That's fine Zarni, but I'd like to show you evidence of the positive impact I've had here"
bucfanclw

Postby The Outsider » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Paul Ryan finally figured out that being an establishment politician and a Rage Against the Machine fan is an untenable position.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Dude is going to make a ton of money as a lobbyist. Maybe like Boehner he can lobby for a firm he spent his whole political career condemning

It’s sad .... once upon a time I had hopes he would be a decent leader.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Though my utter disdain for Ted Cruz is well known on this site, he wrote an informative piece about a tangent to Facebook ordeal....specifically the current liability protections they enjoy — basically as an open forum they can’t be held liable for the information that their users post. (Sectiin 230 of the CDA).

However if a site like Facebook (or Twitter or Snapchat, etc) picks and chooses what content to remove and what to publish they can possibly lose that protection. The exception is when they remove material that is illegal. Basically they become essentially “publishers” of selective material and just like newspapers, magazines and books they are liable for the information that is then published

I always wondered how that worked
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 pm

So what’s this stuff going on with Sinclair broadcasting? I haven’t read much on it...anyone keeping up with it? Apparently some senators petitioned the FCC to revoke their license?
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:So what’s this stuff going on with Sinclair broadcasting? I haven’t read much on it...anyone keeping up with it? Apparently some senators petitioned the FCC to revoke their license?

I don't know if you saw this tidbit a couple of weeks ago on your local news. I noticed it on mine and somebody put it all together. I meant to post something about it.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby deltbucs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:So what’s this stuff going on with Sinclair broadcasting? I haven’t read much on it...anyone keeping up with it? Apparently some senators petitioned the FCC to revoke their license?

I don't know if you saw this tidbit a couple of weeks ago on your local news. I noticed it on mine and somebody put it all together. I meant to post something about it.

People were making such a big deal out of this. There are stories probably every day that the company sends out to all its stations to air.
deltbucs

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

So senators tried to get the parent company's license pulled because they had their stations all tell the same story?

If that's all it is, seems kind of stupid and a complete neglect for 1A
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Though my utter disdain for Ted Cruz is well known on this site, he wrote an informative piece about a tangent to Facebook ordeal....specifically the current liability protections they enjoy — basically as an open forum they can’t be held liable for the information that their users post. (Sectiin 230 of the CDA).

However if a site like Facebook (or Twitter or Snapchat, etc) picks and chooses what content to remove and what to publish they can possibly lose that protection. The exception is when they remove material that is illegal. Basically they become essentially “publishers” of selective material and just like newspapers, magazines and books they are liable for the information that is then published

I always wondered how that worked

Saw some more on this today. Seems like Zuckerberg didn’t really gather the impact of his answers regarding open platform vs publisher.

This is going to be interesting
Zarniwoop

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 am

And this is what Trumpian politics has turned this country into:

Graham
Cruz
Boehner
McConnell

These stalwart, die-hard conservatives are being CRUCIFIED by the Trumpians for being "soft".

LMAO!

You have to be a Nunez to even make the news! "Real" news, that is.

You have to Out-Trump, Trump just to be considered "conservative". Anything less are just "Lib-tard", "snowflake" panzies.

How the **** did we get here!?
Alpha

Postby Commander Bubbles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:43 am

The only Republican, in Congress, that’s worth a **** is Rand Paul. The rest of those guys, that you mentioned, are conservative in name only. They all talk a big game, but at the end of the day they’re no different than the democrats in Congress.

And, no, I don’t agree with much of what Trump says or does. I’m going on record as saying he’s a blowhard and an idiot.
Commander Bubbles

Postby The Outsider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:00 am

Wharf Rat wrote:The only Republican, in Congress, that’s worth a **** is Rand Paul. The rest of those guys, that you mentioned, are conservative in name only. They all talk a big game, but at the end of the day they’re no different than the democrats in Congress.

And, no, I don’t agree with much of what Trump says or does. I’m going on record as saying he’s a blowhard and an idiot.

Rand is a spineless bitch like the rest of em. Don't give him credit just for being Ron's son.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:01 am

Wharf Rat wrote:The only Republican, in Congress, that’s worth a **** is Rand Paul. The rest of those guys, that you mentioned, are conservative in name only. They all talk a big game, but at the end of the day they’re no different than the democrats in Congress.

It’s a damn shame Paul didn’t stay true to his ideas when he ran for president. He caved time and time again to win votes.

Hope he runs again on his real platform
Zarniwoop

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 am

I think a lot of people would agree with this sentiment. Alpha is just tilting at the windmills in his own snow-flaked mind; he has such a Joy Behar view of reality that he really is her male doppleganger.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 am

Sick burn.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby deltbucs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 am

The Outsider wrote:

Rand is a spineless bitch like the rest of em. Don't give him credit just for being Ron's son.

I couldn't agree more. I feel like it's quite obvious how full of **** he is even when he talks tries to talk like he really gives a **** about a platform like his dad's. Of course I think it's quite obvious how full of **** Trump is and 1/3 of America is too gullible to see it.
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:55 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Sick burn.

LOL!!
deltbucs

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion