Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby RedLeader » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 am

It's funny watching Moon scramble to Hillary's defense anytime someone mentions her name... especially being that he's so neutral and above it all.

Or so he likes to reminds us in every thread... lol
RedLeader

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 am

RedLeader wrote:It's funny watching Moon scramble to Hillary's defense anytime someone mentions her name... especially being that he's so neutral and above it all.

You know how we know you're too far right to be saved? You interpreted that as some kind of Clinton defense.

I was just adding some actual funny to help out the picture of a boring, poorly worded tweet.

Here...here's the other funny one. While you sat there all tight assed about the previous video. Here is the same thing...another funny....but aimed in a direction that won't trigger you.

mightyleemoon

Postby RedLeader » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:35 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
RedLeader wrote:It's funny watching Moon scramble to Hillary's defense anytime someone mentions her name... especially being that he's so neutral and above it all.

You know how we know you're too far right to be saved? You interpreted that as some kind of Clinton defense.

I was just adding some actual funny to help out the picture of a boring, poorly worded tweet.

Here...here's the other funny one. While you sat there all tight assed about the previous video. Here is the same thing...another funny....but aimed in a direction that won't trigger you.

Hahaha.. suuuuuurre buddy.
RedLeader

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am

RedLeader wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Hahaha.. suuuuuurre buddy.

Sorry about that. I put you on a tee with that first video while keeping the second one queued up. Having fun at your expense is probably a mean thing to do. I should probably try to be a better person but...I don't want to.
mightyleemoon

Postby deltbucs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am

mightyleemoon wrote:She needs to work on her drunk jokes.

Speaking of drunk jokes...this one is landing pretty well.

This is right up there with bad lip reading.

HA! It works so well, because he does sound like a drunk, babbling idiot. His supporters are just the type that fall for a fast talking salesman. The type of person that buys a new car for 10k over sticker and walks out thinking they got a good deal. If you have a little critical thinking skills and listen to what he actually says, you realize that it's just nonsense.

Reminds me of this video that was going around for a while. All actual Trump quotes.

deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:11 am

lolwut?

Moon is somehow defending Hillary? It's funny that you are so bias that you actually believe that.
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:11 am

Buc2 wrote:Image

HA!
deltbucs

Postby HamBone » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:24 am

Trumps first budget proposal cuts funding to National Endowment for the Arts, Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, PBS and NPR. I wonder how that will fly...
HamBone

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am

HamBone wrote:Trumps first budget proposal cuts funding to National Endowment for the Arts, Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, PBS and NPR. I wonder how that will fly...

Who cares? Apparently America is filled with enough scared little fawns that we need to divert all our money into feeling "safe".
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:46 am

bucfanclw wrote:
HamBone wrote:Trumps first budget proposal cuts funding to National Endowment for the Arts, Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, PBS and NPR. I wonder how that will fly...

Who cares? Apparently America is filled with enough scared little fawns that we need to divert all our money into feeling "safe".

Last I checked, conservatives aren't the one's crying for safe spaces.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby HamBone » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:57 am

bucfanclw wrote:

The Federal government has a few constitutionally mandated roles...national defense is one.
HamBone

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:53 pm

HamBone wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Who cares? Apparently America is filled with enough scared little fawns that we need to divert all our money into feeling "safe".

The Federal government has a few constitutionally mandated roles...national defense is one.

Yup, defense, homeland security and the VA all got increases. The "Arts" received less.

19 Agencies will also be completely defended. Looking at the list I can't say that I know what ANY of them do.

Wealthy philanthropists can always donate to the Arts..
DreadNaught

Postby HamBone » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Yup, defense, homeland security and the VA all got increases. The "Arts" received less.

19 Agencies will also be completely defended. Looking at the list I can't say that I know what ANY of them do.

I'm not sure that the VA, DHS or the DoD need an increased budget...I think they just need to kill a lot of the bureaucracy and do a better job with their budgets.
HamBone

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
HamBone wrote:

**** the arts anyways, unless they're going to build a time machine with that budget money and take us back to the classical/renaissance era - aint nothin but garbage modern/provacative/subjective garbage being put out anyways. I hope they defund the **** out of anything that hosts any piece of "art" created in the last 60-75 years. music always finds its way, and generally the best **** comes from the least money anyways. there's enough independent/capitalist (youtube, spotify, etc) routes to make your way if you're good

JUST DONT TAKE MY DAMN PBS CMONNNNNN MAAAAAN
beardmcdoug

Postby Corsair » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

**** the arts anyways, unless they're going to build a time machine with that budget money and take us back to the classical/renaissance era - aint nothin but garbage modern/provacative/subjective garbage being put out anyways. I hope they defund the **** out of anything that hosts any piece of "art" created in the last 60-75 years. music always finds its way, and generally the best **** comes from the least money anyways. there's enough independent/capitalist (youtube, spotify, etc) routes to make your way if you're good

I'd like to hear your opinion on the proposed cuts to the EPA and removal of climate science from the budget.
Corsair

Postby HamBone » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:50 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Yhe article I read said that PBS gets about 7% of its budget from Federal dollars...so, you should be g2g.
HamBone

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Trump hates Big Bird!!!
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:13 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

:?
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:25 pm

HamBone wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

Yhe article I read said that PBS gets about 7% of its budget from Federal dollars...so, you should be g2g.

NPR gets 1% of is funding from the federal govt. They'll be ok also.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Corsair wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

I'd like to hear your opinion on the proposed cuts to the EPA and removal of climate science from the budget.

oh you know its a total ****ing disaster. EPA + NOAA make up ~0.3% of the entire federal budget... you can't just halve R&D research funds (as being done to EPA research division), cut 20% from Dept of Energy research funding (that pushes to make solar/renewables more market viable) in one year. So many ongoing, 5-year, 10-year, 50-year projects rely on continuous funding. you cut that ****, you create giant holes in the datasets, ruining their reliability. Research funding cuts of this severity have 10-20 year impacts. Entire projects will be abandoned, careers will shift. Fine, you want to cut the "redtape" aspect of the EPA, you want to make the turnstile that it is, turn faster, fine, the EPA's regulator teeth have already been ground down by lobbyists over the years, I get that. But for the love of god, don't gut the research, don't cut the **** that helps us move forward, don't hamstring all of ****ing civilization for the sake of literally 0.1% of the budget... SAD!

also bad long game move for US vs China. not good!
beardmcdoug

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm

NYBF wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

:?

you got a problem you dusty old fart
beardmcdoug

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 pm

beardmcdoug wrote: So many ongoing, 5-year, 10-year, 50-year projects rely on continuous funding. you cut that ****, you create giant holes in the datasets, ruining their reliability.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's kinda the point...
bucfanclw

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote: So many ongoing, 5-year, 10-year, 50-year projects rely on continuous funding. you cut that ****, you create giant holes in the datasets, ruining their reliability.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's kinda the point...

yeah I mean I get the "cronies" want that done... but you don't just throw away national assets like that... I mean knowing **** about **** is how we avoid **** that fucks up our ****, which costs money... its just a dumb ****ing move across the board. its incredibly short sighted. its not something I'd expect out of a god-emperor
beardmcdoug

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:56 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:its incredibly short sighted.

This part right here is the Trump Presidency in a nutshell.
bucfanclw

Postby Corsair » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:59 pm

This is what happens when you devalue education in the sciences.

The great brain drain has begun and this country is going to be paying for it for a long time.
Corsair

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:06 pm

Corsair wrote:This is what happens when you devalue education in the sciences.

The great brain drain has begun and this country is going to be paying for it for a long time.

Quit the doom and gloom. Pretty soon we'll all be haulin' ass gettin paid.
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:23 pm

As you know I abhor public schools, but I will give the ones here in Texas kudos for how they try to get kids in STEM. One of the only worthwhile things the administrators are doing
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

As you know I abhor public schools, but I will give the ones here in Texas kudos for how they try to get kids in STEM. One of the only worthwhile things the administrators are doing

no no no Mr. Zarniwoop - its STEAM now. The arts need to be included too!

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2015/06/steam_vs_stem_why_we_need_to_put_the_arts_into_stem_education.html
beardmcdoug

Postby deltbucs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:16 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's kinda the point...

yeah I mean I get the "cronies" want that done... but you don't just throw away national assets like that... I mean knowing **** about **** is how we avoid **** that fucks up our ****, which costs money... its just a dumb ****ing move across the board. its incredibly short sighted. its not something I'd expect out of a god-emperor

Sometimes you've just got a way with words.
deltbucs

Postby Corsair » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:32 pm

bucfanclw wrote:

Quit the doom and gloom. Pretty soon we'll all be haulin' ass gettin paid.

Amid ‘Trump Effect’ Fear, 40% of Colleges See Dip in Foreign Applicants

The president of Portland State University, Wim Wiewel, met last week with 10 prospective students in Hyderabad, India. But what started as a get-acquainted visit quickly turned into more of a counseling session, as the students expressed fears about coming to the United States this fall.

One student, who is Muslim, said his father was worried that America had an anti-Muslim attitude, Mr. Wiewel recounted. “Several others said they were concerned about the ‘Trump effect,’” he said in an email.

“I’d say the rhetoric and actual executive orders are definitely having a chilling effect,” Mr. Wiewel wrote, referring to the Trump administration’s travel ban.

Nearly 40 percent of colleges are reporting overall declines in applications from international students, according to a survey of 250 college and universities, released this week by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. The biggest decline is in applications from the Middle East.

Many officials cited worries among prospective students about Trump administration immigration policies. “International student recruitment professionals report a great deal of concern from students all over the globe,” the study said.

On Wednesday, the federal judge in Hawaii who blocked the latest version of the administration’s travel ban cited the financial harm the executive order posed to the state’s university system, which recruits students and hires faculty members from the six target countries. (Washington State officials raised similar concerns in successfully challenging the first travel ban.)

Graduate schools appear to be feeling the worst pinch, with nearly half reporting drops. “Our deans describe it as a chilling effect,” said Suzanne Ortega, president of the Council of Graduate Schools.

The numbers — while not yet final — are provoking anxiety in some programs that rely on international students, who bring more than $32 billion a year into the United States economy. International enrollment at American colleges has been on the rise over the past decade, and for the first time exceeded one million students last year.

Still, despite the steady increase, the movement of students from one country to another is sensitive to fluctuations tied to political and economic forces. So some officials cautioned that a “Trump effect’ is just one possible explanation for this year’s application figures. Beyond that, many schools, including New York University, the University of Southern California and Northeastern University, reported that their international numbers are up. Purdue University reported a 1.2 percent decline in graduate school applications.

Mr. Wiewel made his trip to Hyderabad not long after residents of the city held funeral services for a young Indian man who was killed in a bar in Olathe, Kan., where he worked as an engineer. The shooting is being investigated as a hate crime.
Photo
The university’s president, Wim Wiewel, has worked to reassure foreign students planning to attend Portland State. Credit Leah Nash for The New York Times

Mr. Wiewel reassured the students — all admitted to Portland State’s graduate engineering program — that his university’s environment was safe and welcoming. He was a bit surprised by their concerns, he said, because students he visited earlier in New Delhi and Bangalore had been more anxious about financing their graduate studies, apparently a reaction to India’s recent currency shortage. Other economic factors may also be involved in the application declines, Ms. Ortega said, including crude oil prices in Saudi Arabia.

For several graduate schools, the Trump administration’s travel ban, which initially affected seven predominantly Muslim countries, could not have been more poorly timed. It was announced in late January as deadlines loomed for applications to some graduate programs, and it came on the heels of Mr. Trump’s virulently anti-immigrant rhetoric during the campaign.

Slumping graduate school applications can now be seen at universities ranging from giant Big Ten public universities like Ohio State and Indiana University to regional programs such as Portland State, with just over 27,000 students, including more than 1,900 international students.

At Indiana University, international applications for undergraduate programs increased 6 percent, but graduate applications for some programs are posting big drops, said David Zaret, vice president for international affairs.

Mr. Zaret said international applications to the masters program in business were down 20 percent, and down 30 percent in both the master of law program and at the School of Informatics and Computing. The university will not have problems filling the programs, but the drop might affect the overall quality of the applicant pool, he said.

Ohio State has also seen an increase in international undergraduate applications but a significant overall drop — 8.4 percent — in international applicants to its graduate programs, a university spokesman, Chris Davey, said. The biggest decline was among students from China — a fact Mr. Davey said did not support the “Trump effect” theory. In 2016, he said, there were 2,412 graduate applications from China; this year the number was down to 1,952.

“We’re inclined to say that the overarching factors that might be influencing this are probably global economic factors and it would be premature to conclude that it’s the travel ban,” Mr. Davey said. “But it certainly could be.”

Because application deadlines at several larger colleges had passed before Mr. Trump’s travel ban was announced, some universities are more worried about the “yield” — the number of students offered admission who end up enrolling, said Frances Leslie, vice provost for the graduate division at the University of California, Irvine.

Applications at Irvine are not down, but students have expressed concerned about coming to the United States, Ms. Leslie said. “We’re hearing from students, even beyond the seven countries, expressing concern,” Ms. Leslie said, referring to Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen, which were singled out in the first travel ban. “This year, even when students are admitted, they may not be willing to accept the offers.”

The university will not have those numbers until April 15, a national deadline for students to make a decision.

At Portland State, where undergraduate international applications are up 4 percent but international graduate applications are down 15 percent, the vice provost for international affairs, Margaret Everett, said she had heard recently from a Chinese student who canceled his application, citing the political climate.

“Obviously we’re concerned about the climate and the rhetoric and the administration policies and travel ban,” Ms. Everett said.

#thetrumpeffect
Corsair

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion